Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 56
Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/21 12:00:33 (permalink)
Smart move on getting project supplies now, if questioned about towing the boat I would claim you are fishing for food. People have to travel to the grocery store, you are travelling to the river instead.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/21 20:19:10 (permalink)
My grandson helped me with a lot today around the compound. We split and stacked wood. Made some more raised garden beds . Took an ATV ride to scout more firewood and looked at the creek and might muddy.
I think tomorrow wife and I are just going to chill with the yaks and maybe I'll catch a striper .
We are seeing a huge in flux of people around our house we've never seen before. They are exit of NYC.
We will start a lockdown on our property and belongings to prepare for our safety and property.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/21 20:25:17

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/21 20:48:56 (permalink)
Good luck with the stripers  Rich, hope the influx is just folks riding and getting outa the cities for a bit- not nefarious.
Lockdown is a good idea- also some more serious hardware at hand- sad to say.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/21 21:04:59 (permalink)
Well, there are some houses owned by folks that live in NYC. Hardly ever see them in the summer times let alone now in spring. I get they are getting out of the city asap, they are also inviting everyone they know to come, here. It's sad to feel for our safety out in the country even if no harm is intended.

I'm also afraid if a lockdown from the state happens it could mean all state access points are closed including river and boat launches. Think about that for a minute..

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/22 11:43:24 (permalink)
Husband and I spent Friday replacing manifolds and risers on the boat, yesterday it was felling some dead cherry trees on our barn property and at my Mom's.  Not hard to be 'social distant' when doing the dirty jobs, lol.  Good news is that the inboard is a giant step closer to ready for a season of chasing walleye and we cut up about a cord of good cherry yesterday to start on next year's supply. 
We also walked the property to lay out some plans for BlackBerry, elderberry and blueberry locations along with paw paw, Apple trees and bee box plans. Most of our intended fruit supplies are available through the old catalog nurseries, bees will probably wait till next year, since we are considering them on a walkway on the sunny side of the barn and the barn rehab is in progress but won't be re-sided for a couple months yet.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/22 17:33:36 (permalink)
Nice on the projects. Things as they should be . After a morning and early afternoon chores I decided to take a break and go fishing. 2 for 4 on smallmouth. Stripers are not far behind. Made it out to the mighty Hudson in yak. Eagles are nesting. River itself was quiet.
Probably make some dough tonight to turn into garlic knots.
While the weekend are busy , they seem so peaceful. We will see what new adventures tomorrow brings at the JOB.

PS. Found this gold in kayak. 👍

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/22 17:47:23 (permalink)
LOL, best keeper of the day!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/22 18:35:24 (permalink)
Careful of "spot burning".

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/22 19:16:57 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Careful of "spot burning".

Getting there.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/29 18:12:02 (permalink)
Like I said, no choice but to walk out my back door through the MUD season.
Another garden box built, need more dirt though. My friends dropped off 2 peace trees to plant but far to wet right now. The blueberries will also have to wait.
A fresh batch of dough just finished. I'll turn this into garlic knots.
Great news is chickens are so far on schedule on April 20th.
Much more seeds started today. Another 36 tomatoes , 12 clauflower, another 12 long sweet peppers, 6 zucchini and some spinach and lettuce directly into the beds.
Let's hope.
It seems like people are starting to go into self preservation mode now.
I know I am for sure and we figured out all our wants and needs are covered.
Jon boat is all set for stripers or perch if public launches get shutdown.

Be well folks

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/29 20:34:32 (permalink)
Started some seeds today, fixed a little fence. The bull that died in the fall is nothing but backbone , ribs and skull stripped clean. Also took a 4 hour nap and watched some tv. Got my 10 chickens 2 weeks ago meat birds come in 5/1

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/30 20:27:14 (permalink)
Alls I can say is MUDDY.
I'm trying to prepare some higher ground for the blueberries. Finished the last of pork chops tonight. Its roasts , sausage and picnic from here out from our 2 pigs.
12 half chickens left. Homade sauce gone.
Garlic looking good, chives are thriving and my indoors tomatoes are doing strong.
Peppers finally poked as well as rosemary.
My goal this weekend is to get lettuce, spinach, more oregano, onions, asparagus and radishes in the ground.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/31 20:19:17 (permalink)
Tomatoes, . 4 weeks , 2 weeks and 1 week not sprouted. My goal is 30 day pause to hit soil.
I can cover/ protect if frosty times.
Gotta keep moving forward.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/31 20:21:07

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/06 14:54:00 (permalink)
20 plus loads out. Gardens are fertilized as well as the hayfield.

Attachment(s)

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/06 14:55:16 (permalink)
Without 4×4 would not of got this done

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/06 15:55:59 (permalink)
WHAT were you eating ????
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/06 17:22:36 (permalink)
Nice Clint. So jealous of a real farm, and equipment.
Just putsing around here. Can't take having the pigs wallow in their feed and water area so I built this platform yesterday. They come on Friday.
Garlic is fantastic, got some lettuce and spinach in cold frames and took a ride in the boat on the mighty muddy Saturday. Stripers and herring are around
This also popped into my head, same spot as my Saturday scouting.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/06 18:52:02 (permalink)
Also scored some free wood HT style. Neighbor had 2.5 cords of mapje stacked out by the road saying free. All nice and already bucked up. Got there just in time when Ioading it another guy stopped and said " **** I saw it last night , but I guess I wasn't early enough" . Another guy stopped and asked if I was going to take it all and politely said "yup"

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/10 16:33:26 (permalink)
Mission accomplished.
Boat is in water and our livestock on site.
Chickens coming Monday.
We know what's real and what's not here
Be safe, provide for the family, friends and neighbors
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/10 17:32:58

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/10 18:28:41 (permalink)
This is what's real in our life

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/10 20:11:52 (permalink)
Looking good, my pug is getting big. Most of my chicks to the pullet stage, I may have a cockerel too. Meat birds cone in 5/1 so these should be outside by then. Dad , bro and I both have completed most spring cow work (staying 10 feet apart) . Fence is up, manure is spread calves are doing well. Possibly let them out next week. Started garden prep, putting up chicken fence and cleaning up. Will plow and till some soon. Tractor was running rough so a tune up is in order. Clean carb and clean and re gap plugs and points. Lots of work a nd good times. That's real enough for me .

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/11 13:27:34 (permalink)
Thanks, HT. Can't wait. Monday a 7' catfish rod arrives. If I don't like it , it's a 2 pc. = 2 tomato stakes.....  On another horrible farming note, dairy farmers are taking the beating of their lives. 
I feel so sorry for my friends that work 90 hr. weeks to go bankrupt.  If I didn't need the money I wouldn't charge for the barn I'm building. Some of it will be in barter for beef and pork. It's a sad sight to see milk running like a river through
the  cowcrap.
post edited by fichy - 2020/04/11 13:35:32
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/11 14:48:35 (permalink)
Agreed on the horrible plight of the small holding dairy farmers... small (family) farms in general are taking a horrible beating in recent years and it sure seems an awful lot of the farm aid out there is benefiting the corporate farms rather than the little guys.  A great Mennonite family in my area had to give up their dairy herd last year because of it. Seems to be the government way lately, loop holes for the corporate giants and nooses for the 'small business' types. ... sorry, dont want to bring political frustrations into this thread, so I will stop with that. 
Fichy,  hope your farming friends are able to adapt for some type of short term fix until the demand turns around to their benefit again. 
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 07:19:37 (permalink)
Any suggestions for  an economical but useful game camera system? In the past week my neighbor had his heated greenhouse broken into and they stole all his herb flats. They also went into his freezer shed and made off with turkeys, hams, beef, and pork roasts. Perhaps not the same scum,  but someone cut trees off my property  in the same time frame.  Both of us have garages loaded with expensive  tools, and have extensive gardens. We're going to war. Use to feel safe out in the hicks. Azzhats probably know I'm slowed by the big C, and my friend is taking care of his ailing parents.  Might end up as fertilizer  if we catch them.  I run events for the  local food pantry and would give wood out of my lot to anyone in need. My neighbor is one of the most good hearted, generous people I've ever known. he's the reason I bought my property, so we could be neighbors. Well , we have been shooting the chucks, so we are a little mean, and about to get moreso.
post edited by fichy - 2020/04/12 07:25:42
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 07:58:29 (permalink)
WTF, that's not right. Sorry to hear. One thing that I despise are thieves. Cut their hand off with a dull axe.
It kinda sounds like someone who knew what and where to look.
As for cameras, I set up 2 live security cameras and 2 sd card trail cams a few weeks ago just because I seen so much activity from people who are not normally neighbors. No issues so far.
It depends on your capability as to the best recommendations. If you have WIFI, a live security camera is the way to go. For the cost of them VS a trail camera ( which needs batteries and SD card ) they come out to about the same price.
My security cameras are BLINK security cameras . A $150 for a set of 2 I get instant live video and notification on my phone anytime they go off. The picture quality is excellent with audio. They are very stealthy and I have 1 in front and 1 in back corners of my eve's.

For trail cameras, any one from Wally world or the like stores work all about the same and can be bought for about $50.00 each, not including sd cards and batteries.
Usually they are easy to spot from a perpetrator, especially if you have reason for night flash. Generally if they are spotted, they get stolen.
Honestly, I'd call the police first to report the burglary. That may alone detour the scumbag.

Good luck and keep safe.
Here are live views from security cameras. They also zoom in and I can make them full screens too.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/12 08:16:48

Attachment(s)

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 09:34:02 (permalink)
Fichy, dead falls, bear traps, trip wires & punji sticks work well.  Lol
As for trail camera systems most are after the fact mechanisms.  However there is one system made by Cuddeback that has a real time link to your smart phone or computer.  Not cheap but worth taking a look.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 09:44:18 (permalink)
That really sucks, kinda why the gun shops are doing such a big business.
If this ever got outa hand there would be more of that going on.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 11:25:30 (permalink)
I know TB was joking but I'd highly caution about setting booty traps for liability reasons. Knowingly do so presents being sued.
As for trail cam like TB said are very expensive and your cheaper route for the same usages is the BLINK.
We use 1 wifi camera at hunting camp for real time but you still need a wifi account and yes, super expensive.

Happy Easter folks.

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 12:33:41 (permalink)
Night vision googles and a rock salt gun works too. A trip wire rigged to an audio of a shotgun round being racked into battery will definitely get someones attention.  Read up on NYS PL Article 35.00-35.30 Defense of Justification.   
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 13:14:03 (permalink)
Well, I'd just say that if you willingly and knowingly intended to cause harm then your subject to liability issues.
If you know someone is trespassing on private property, you cannot set up traps that may cause harm, such as a hang wire or tire spikes for ATV's trespassing.
You absolutely have a right for personal protection from harm but you just can't start going rogue to protect your personal items.
It would be like shooting someone just because they walked through your front door.
I think we all get the point

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 56
Jump to: