fly fishing from river and stream banks

Author
Dolores Malone
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2020/03/25 02:23:11 (permalink)

fly fishing from river and stream banks

I'm new to fly fishing and to the forum, and would appreciate any pointers on fishing from river/stream banks. Boats and wading are not an option for me (I'm 72 and have balance problems and arthritis, and generally weak legs), so most of my fishing has to be from the banks. My streams are all, delightfully, in mountainous regions (East Tennessee), so trees and bushes are everywhere. I'd appreciate any tips on avoiding getting snagged and on finding locations where there might be open space to fly cast from the bank.

One thing I've seen online is stripping baskets. They seem to be recommended for a few specific situations, and fishing from banks isn't mentioned, but I was wondering if using one might help?

I've also started trying to roll cast, based on info I found online (articles and videos), and that can certainly help, although I'm not sure I have the knack down yet. When I roll cast, even with a very strong cast, the fly line only travels part of the way, then the rest of the line just plops down around it. With about a 20 foot line, if I do about 5 roll casts in a row, the line finally goes out in a straight line for the whole 20 feet. But as I understand it, I should be able to do this in one cast, not 5. Any suggestions?

Any and all suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Jerry

2 Replies Related Threads

DrewB
    New Angler
    Re: fly fishing from river and stream banks 2020/03/31 11:40:42 (permalink)
    If you go to YouTube and look up videos on how to roll cast there are very many but the just of it would be to make sure when you bring your rod back you make a D with your rod and your line (sometimes a bigger D is needed if you have more line out), then when you get to that point, using your arm and wrist in unison, flick your wrist and stop your rod when it is parallel with the water, also make sure that your fly is near or at the surface of the water when your roll cast and you must practice roll casting into the water, it is very difficult to roll cast on the ground if that is how you are practicing
    DrewB
    New Angler
    Re: fly fishing from river and stream banks 2020/03/31 11:41:47 (permalink)
    Are you planing on trout fishing or smallmouth or something else?
    Jump to: