Helpful ReplyFrench Creek Float Between Waterford and Cambridge Springs

Author
DrewB
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2020/01/28 15:14:33 (permalink)

French Creek Float Between Waterford and Cambridge Springs

I have access to a 14-foot flat bottom jon boat with a trolling motor and was wondering if it would be possible to float between Waterford and Cambridge Springs without much difficulty?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: French Creek Float Between Waterford and Cambridge Springs 2020/01/28 16:13:21 (permalink)
Drew I would recommend searching "canoe rentals" or "baitshops" in the area. I'd feel confident those folks could & would answer your question(s)

If not, the PFBC would be happy to answer any questions if you contact the NW regional office in Meadville. If ya can't stop in they will answer emails and phone calls.

Another source of info might be the local Boy Scout chapter.

If ya make the trip let us know how it goes and post pics.

Wish I could give better info but all I know is rt 19 follows the same valley and it's 10+ miles and a 15 minute drive between the towns.

Good Luck, Good Times & Tight Lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: French Creek Float Between Waterford and Cambridge Springs 2020/01/28 19:15:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DrewB 2020/01/29 17:50:22
It’s doable, canoes do it all the time. The last time I went down was about 12 years ago. Only had one major obstacle and that was a huge pile up of trees that forced us to drag the canoe through it. But I’m sure that has changed since, maybe for the better or worse. That river changes sometime by a single rain storm.

So expect trees that can make going tough, and depending on water level you may have some riffles that would scrape the bottom of the boat.
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
Re: French Creek Float Between Waterford and Cambridge Springs 2020/01/29 13:05:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DrewB 2020/01/29 17:50:26
anzomcik
It’s doable, canoes do it all the time. The last time I went down was about 12 years ago. Only had one major obstacle and that was a huge pile up of trees that forced us to drag the canoe through it. But I’m sure that has changed since, maybe for the better or worse. That river changes sometime by a single rain storm.

So expect trees that can make going tough, and depending on water level you may have some riffles that would scrape the bottom of the boat.

I have wet waded different parts of this stretch in the summer.  Definitely some shallow riffles in places that could more easily be navigated in yaks and canoes.  Like Anzomcik said, lots of timber the farther down you go.  Down near Cambridge Springs, especially where Muddy flows into French, there seems to be whole forests in some of those holes.  Also of note, the area near the Erie Preserve must be a daggone mosquito factory because it is insane how many mosquitoes are in that area.  That being said, I've really wanted to take my yak down there with a few musky baits.  
Jump to: