Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 34
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 19:02:42 (permalink)
Rich - I never use trail cams and search my properties, the old school ways-think targeting  one is fun and makes the hunt  for me.
Looking for large rubs in late winter before foliage hides them, look to see if smaller rubs were in the same area the year before, look for a nearby summer feeding area and scout in with the least intrusion  basically using field glasses from afar and watching horn growth and looking for the donkey lol.
 Locate bedding and travel routs and set up a couple of large ground blinds ( over head high with cover) very early along a couple of those routes near bedding.
Remembering that as the rut comes on he may travel far from home so not to get too itchy and just shoot anything.
Often have taken HIM very late season after second rut when he comes back home.
Some years will pass without HIM and some will take an eater elsewhere- something have a couple of shooters on different places and score twice in different seasons ( we can get up to 14 permits- several for bucks)
Its beyond a sport but is a lifestyle-  starting to get to the point -age and ability where  really gotta cut back --ahhh the memories  lol.
Think we are similar predtors in slightly different ways- more in common than not.
Might be the Native American in both of us.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/20 19:34:32
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 20:06:18 (permalink)
Rg. We totally have different hunting habitats. There are no glassing fields,
its all stalking in hardwoods.
Glassing means to me early, late hunting unless you set an all day stand in their beds to spend a full day afield in hopes they pass through in the times of to and form. Mostly to is after dark, from is before we even roll out if bed.
I'm hunting mountain deer. They travel miles with no fields to graze.
Cameras are key and may not necessarily be old school but because we spend countless hours in the woods, not nmahogany ridge they are only a tool to help us identify what's happening when I'm not there. Our place is 90 miles away, kinda like owning property in Richland x 2. I wouldn't not have that tool to use today.
My deer was on camera a mile away from its demise, because summer, fall, rut pattern changed.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 20:35:02 (permalink)
One of my places here in Ct is 60 away and another 45-worth it for biguns lol.

Used to have 850 ac right out my back door- all pvt with few if anyone else there legal- all mountain deer.
Thats when ridge walking was best-walk the top and go peek down or have a natural blind over known bedding areas- generally in tight hemlock or cedar groves on the small hillside flats.
When ya stayed above them breeze generally took your  your scent up.
Bedding areas were pretty consistent year to year though and lanes to them were worth a good blind.
Totally different deer that don't go to crops. Move to different food sources-a very different hunt.
Its all great.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/21 16:18:09 (permalink)
I did a 2 hr walk about at 1pm on 2,500 acres of state land for wabbits.
My boys had other commitments so I was solo .
My count . 6 wabbits, 1 shoot and miss. 1 grouse, 1 pheasant.
Wabbit sign everywhere.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/28 09:52:18 (permalink)
Had a flock of Turkey and two flatheads in front of me late yesterday-passed on the flats.
With rain forecast Mon and Tues later today is my last hunt for the year.
Wont pass lol.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/28 11:14:02 (permalink)
Rich,you saw a pheasant?That is a extinct species in my neck of the woods,used to be very common but they dis appeared 10+ yrs ago,the change in farming wiped them out!
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/28 19:00:36 (permalink)
Zip tonight-
Close neighbor musta got a new semi and LOTS of clips and rounds.
Started bout 3 and hardly stopped till after shooting time.
That could be the reason orrrrr maybe I gotta get a new place to hunt lol.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/28 19:01:38
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/28 19:27:39 (permalink)
Jack. Our dec conservation stocks ditch chickens ( pheasant) as we call them every October for youth hunting, to me a feel good thing by the state, on this 2-4 thousand acres management property a mile from my house. Very rarely do the young partake and you wouldn't catch me in there while big game is on. It is however prime game territory, thickets, fields and hillsides. Fantastic small game after the buck buster public clears out .
By then though the birds are toast, hit by cars or easy prey for yotes because they just strut along clueless, ditch chickens they are.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/28 19:29:57

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/29 12:15:14 (permalink)
Rich,same here and "ditch chickens" is a good name for them.The state stocks them here also,but they don't count as I remember the "wild" birds and there is no comparison!Another reason I don't hunt any more.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/29 19:57:11 (permalink)
I actually saw a pheasant in the back a few days ago and dad said he saw 2 in the back lot. I wonder if they " stocked " some in the state forest a few miles from me

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/29 21:10:22 (permalink)
I would think happy valley and little John get stockings. Its pretty decent small game lands and one reason I'd like to own a peice of Oswego county

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/31 08:57:20 (permalink)
I don't think there is any of the kind of habitat pheasants like in Little John, between the mature forest and the deep snows of winter, but Happy Valley has lots of cattail marsh where they can get under something and not freeze to the ground, and there is a lot of cropping going on, so they can find grains.  Altmar State Forest is not far from Parish either, and has some of that edge cover common in Happy Valley.

IF they were meant to be here the pheasants would be thriving.  Another exotic species introduction that fails with a change in  agricultural practice, or a slight shift in climate.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/31 20:23:17 (permalink)
With all the cornfield habitat surrounding, I'm pretty sure they are around up there.

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/01 14:01:04 (permalink)
Believe it or not there used to be a good population of pheasants in the greenbelts along the parkways in lower Westchester County, NY.  There was a spot at the intersection of the Saw Mill River & Cross County Parkway's in Yonkers, a few miles north of the NYC line. While working midnight's I would watch hen's and their poults fly down at first light.  It was comical to watch the cascade of poults as they clumsily dropped from their roost.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/02 09:59:17 (permalink)
I'm up in that area a LOT in the spring and summer.  There are no farms right around Little John, and mostly pasture in the nearby ones.  You are almost to Lacona on County RT 15 before you see any corn stubble in the fields, and onto the lake plain before you hit the big dairies that grow a lot of feed corn.  Grouse and Snowshoes, and the grouse are way down and the bunnies have been scarce for a while.  As many say here, too many 'yotes. 
troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/02 11:55:40 (permalink)
West Nile disease has been linked to the ruffed grouse decline. 
This fall I hunted on a nearby piece of state land on the NY/CT border that is a mix of hardwoods and fallow fields.  While there I ran into state biologists who had set up bunny traps for a study.  It will be interesting to see the results of that study.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/02 18:31:26 (permalink)
I've never explored any of those management areas so I can't speak from experience. They are on my bucket list of short trips with lots time on my side.
Just figured given the vast sizes and horse and buggy near by there's got to be some habitat surrounding.

A friend of mine went pheasant hunting on a private preserve 2 days ago. They had a blast and took many photos of birds of pay.
Not really my idea of fun stuff
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/01/02 18:33:02

troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/02 20:01:16 (permalink)
I've been to Orvis Sandanona which is less than an hour from my front door.  It's a beautiful piece of property but well above my pay grade.  Lol
The only times I've frequented that establishment was to buy fly fishing items in the Orvis shop. 
I do know guys have hunted woodcock on the 700 acres of watershed property 300 yards from my front door.  They don't get many but birds are there.  I haven't seen or heard any honkers (ditch chickens) or grouse while walking the property.  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/02 20:42:48 (permalink)
This is a pay to play place near Westchester co.
Not my digs to set birds and let dog flush ditch chickens.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/01/02 20:44:53

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/11 12:33:19 (permalink)
At nearly 60 degrees out its mud season.
Spending the day inside doing pinewood derby projects with the grandkids.
They race next weekend.
In past 2 years my oldest cub scout has been progressing further.
Year 1 = 3rd
Year 2 = 2nd
We are hoping for gold this year.

My newest cub scout is in his first race

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/11 15:41:36 (permalink)
Finished projects

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/11 17:16:55 (permalink)
Good luck to the boys! Glad the tradition is still around when so many family pastimes have been lost over the years. 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/11 20:11:34 (permalink)
That brought back memories of Mom showing me how to whittle, file and sand a LOOOOOONG time ago.  Dad had the mechanical and woodworking skills of a walnut, but there was never an unpaid bill.    
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/11 20:49:39 (permalink)
We did some whittling with my grandsons scout knife. A dremel made sweet work too.
Pretty nice that they take full interest in design and competition. Also in scouting.
Race is next Saturday but I'm away.
We will rally live via net.
Following weekend is my twin boys 34th birthdays. No one will ever forget the challenger space shuttle, its the day of their birth. Nor will we . For sure be doing what we do best. Sharing time in the outdoors together with family.
Our annual scouting ice trip is 2/1/20.
I do miss the klondike derby days
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/01/11 20:53:28

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/16 15:14:36 (permalink)
Fun stuff when you get a call while at work that your roof is blowing off your house.
Contacted a contractor who met me here when I got home and new roof starts tomorrow. Just in time for winter

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/20 13:05:47 (permalink)
Hope you got the new roof,winter is here already.I had a fun time at my daughters over the holiday,spent six days in hospital with a bleeding ulcer in my digestive tract.It's now on the mend and I'm eating whatever I want.But that was a miserable 6 days,the main positive was the pretty young nurses!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/23 18:12:07 (permalink)
Jack I'm sorry to hear and hope your back to dancing for cold weather ice for me. Haven't been out at all in 2020 . Too warm and don't feel like traveling north.

We did get some fun stuff last weekend in Saratoga during the snowstorm.
A fantastic band played our heart of town until 1:30 am.
They are heading to buffalo and Syracuse feb 27 and 28th. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
EVERYONE ORCHESTRA !!
Cheap tickets and it's a revolving orchestra of top notch musicians led by a conductor who totally does improvisations of music.
Anyway, it's a real good time.. L-13 .
Got another big score with tickets to the Lukas Nelson tour. All small old theater venues of max capacity 1,000 less.
Front row center and first ticket buyer April 13th academy of music Northampton, mass. Next night trucking to Columbus theater providence ri, 5th row center 3 days later down towards the city at Capitol theater for a general admission show.
Maybe this time I can get on Willie's bus, lol.
Gonna be a week of fun stuff for sure.

Tomorrow night, local live music. Saturday meeting friends on local ice . Hopefully the perch pillage.

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/24 09:31:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip HT, but both Syracuse and Buffalo are > 60 miles, and both are in the Lake Effect zones.  This time of year I'll hardly drive 2 miles to see a local act, into the hibernation thing, unless the weather makes up its mind so there is either some walkable ice or the air is warm enough to leave the guides on the flyrod open.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/24 14:27:16 (permalink)
This has been a strange winter,10 days ago it was 60+ F,then the bottom dropped out and 30 was a warm day,now it seems we're going to get some"NORMAL" temps ,what ever that is:).Word is that the ice cover on the Great Lakes is the lowest in years,look out for some ball busting "lake affect" coming to the places that get those storms.Rich there is a cold weather dance for some ice to fish on.
post edited by pafisher - 2020/01/24 14:29:37
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/01/24 19:47:36 (permalink)
Jack. Keep dancing my friend. We've went from lows to 5 degrees and high of 20 since the melt down this week to now today lows of 25 to high of 45. Its nuts. Guess ots why they've dubbed it the polar coaster year.
As long as the snow stays at bay, I'm cool.
Snow means work.

L-13
All I gotta say, sometimes things are worth the travel. 60 miles is cake. Don't let life pass us by. Very rarely nowadays you catch national acts in small settings at a right price.
On the Lukas tour, we will probably log a good 1,000 miles in 5 days to get the best of our best this band will offer . Not letting a $30.00 ticket or 3 nights in $100.00 hotels stand in our way

Fun stuff happening now and lots more ahead.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 34
Jump to: