Tiger trout?

Author
Fisha
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2020/01/03 15:04:26 (permalink)

Tiger trout?

OK id like some opinions as to whether this is a tiger trout or not. Some folks I've shown it to says it's a brown... it don't look like any brown I ever caught.

Attached Image(s)

17 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/15 14:21:00 (permalink)
    Brown trout.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/15 16:02:30 (permalink)
    YOUNZ BE THE JUDGE..... Note the corner of the mouth on the tiger as compared to the trout posted in question.

Web says this is a Tiger.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/15 16:07:55

Attached Image(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/15 16:09:55 (permalink)
    I believe it to be a tiger  although freshly stocked browns sometimes exibit those non roundish spots'' looks like a club fish tiger  nice catch

I have become comfortably numb
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/15 17:20:20 (permalink)
    Brown trout.

Attached Image(s)

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    15ftstcroix
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/15 17:20:27 (permalink)
    nice catch, i think its a brown 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/15 18:49:12 (permalink)
    Some interesting reading on Tiger Trout.

Tiger Trout

Tiger Trout are a hybrid of Brook Trout and Brown Trout.

Tiger Trout come from crossing a male Brook Trout with a female Brown Trout. They don’t look much like either parent – or any other fish for that matter. They have a dramatic worm-like pattern across most of their body. They’re also thicker-built than most Trout species and like to throw their weight around, making them a favorite for many sporting anglers.

Tiger Trout rarely occur in the wild. You can find them in Wisconsin and Michigan but your best bet of catching one would be in a stocked lake. Wherever you come across them, they’re not a fish you’re likely to forget!

For more reading and pictures on trout.

https://fishingbooker.com...merica-complete-guide/
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/15 18:55:08

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3098
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/16 09:09:27 (permalink)
    Brown Trout
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/16 09:25:44 (permalink)
    The picture of the tiger shows the orange black white edging on the fins associated with the brook trout,.  The fish in question does not show this feature.  Brown Trout.  I took a similar fish in Hemlock Lake NY a few years back, very odd pattern, some stripes where I thought there should only be spots.  The local Biologist told me they see all kinds of patterns in the hatchery, they were just pigment variations.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/16 10:41:55 (permalink)
    I concur.... orange spots say Brown Trout.

I first thought the corner of mouth in association with the eye might be an indicator too. (as with largemouth bass/small mouth bass) but seeing larger Brown Trout kinda shoots that theory in the butt.

Butt it was a thought..... stupid trout.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/01/16 10:43:01

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/16 12:16:15 (permalink)
    I'd say Brown Trout but those zig zag paisley markings are similar to Tiger Trout .  

My grandson caught this one a few years ago ...its a Brown with odd markings .

Do they still stock Tiger Trout in Pa. ? I thought it was gone program .....not sure .

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/16 13:34:06 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK

Do they still stock Tiger Trout in Pa. ? I thought it was gone program .....not sure .

To my knowledge, the state doesn't stock them on purpose, but some of the trout farms still produce them and are stocked by clubs or private landowners.  There are quite a few of them that get caught in Loyalhanna Creek in Westmoreland County on waters open to fishing, that get stocked well upstream on private property in the Rolling Rock Club and make their way downstream.  

Although very rare, I do see pics once in awhile on social media of wild tiger trout caught in PA from the Laurel Highlands and the Northern Tier where there are populations of wild brook and brown trout.  

I assume the pic up top is from Erie.  If so, it's most likely one of the mutant hatchery browns that the PFBC has been stocking in the tribs the past couple of years from the Linesville Hatchery after they serve their breeding purposes as full grown adults, and not a lake run brown that was stocked as a juvenile in one of the tribs.  

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/17 09:22:44 (permalink)
    Spring Brook in Caledonia New York is the location of the oldest hatchery in the USA, still operating and raising mainly brown trout for inland NYS Stocking, although over the years it has raised salmon, Rainbows and Splake as well as Browns.  The first browns were brought there in the 1800's by famous fish culturist Seth Green, and as is usually the case, some escaped top the stream, which was a brook trout and stickleback culture before the hatchery.  There is  a lot of natural reproduction in the brook, a typical limestone stream uncommon in NYS but familiar to fishers from Central and South Eastern PA, where you have a lot of karst geology.  The wild browns of Spring Brook all display the fin edging of white black orange typical of brook trout, also have bright red adipose fins, and have the blue halo around crimson spots not showing in lots of Brown Trout pix.   One of the Culturists at the hatchery told me these pigment changes came from years of small brook trout running up into an active brown redd, discharging milt and then escaping as rapidly as possible before the larger Brown trout Male could grab on to the interloper.  Sort of a long term adaptation to partial tiger status, or incorporation of small amounts of Brook Trout genetic material into the resident brown populations.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2515
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/17 11:00:58 (permalink)
    Most seem to agree on brown. I caught a trout years ago out of Howells run. Strangest trout I ever saw. After some research and head scratching I arrived at the conclusion it was indeed a tiger trout.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/17 11:26:04 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    Spring Brook in Caledonia New York is the location of the oldest hatchery in the USA, still operating and raising mainly brown trout for inland NYS Stocking, although over the years it has raised salmon, Rainbows and Splake as well as Browns.  The first browns were brought there in the 1800's by famous fish culturist Seth Green, and as is usually the case, some escaped top the stream, which was a brook trout and stickleback culture before the hatchery.  There is  a lot of natural reproduction in the brook, a typical limestone stream uncommon in NYS but familiar to fishers from Central and South Eastern PA, where you have a lot of karst geology.  The wild browns of Spring Brook all display the fin edging of white black orange typical of brook trout, also have bright red adipose fins, and have the blue halo around crimson spots not showing in lots of Brown Trout pix.   One of the Culturists at the hatchery told me these pigment changes came from years of small brook trout running up into an active brown redd, discharging milt and then escaping as rapidly as possible before the larger Brown trout Male could grab on to the interloper.  Sort of a long term adaptation to partial tiger status, or incorporation of small amounts of Brook Trout genetic material into the resident brown populations.

That's pretty fascinating stuff Lucky.  

The PA Fish Commission doesn't include the Lake Erie watershed in places where there are wild brook trout in PA (did a little digging last night just out of curiosity) although they were once part of the landscape.  I would imagine some brook trout somewhere along the way found their way into some water in the Lake Erie watershed through stocking, and have maybe created a very, very small self sustaining population somewhere, but nothing that is documented by the state.  Found out that Ohio has reintroduced brook trout to some of their Lake Erie tribs, and now have self-sustaining populations.  

So I guess it is possible that somewhere in Lake Erie or one of its tribs, there may be some wild tiger trout.  Or some that somehow got introduced through private stocking by a sportsman's club or individual, ran into the lake, grew up and came back.  

But the fish pic posted by the OP has all the appearance of a hatchery fish that has spent its life in a concrete raceway and was recently stocked, as the PFBC has been doing the past several years with breeder brown trout from their hatcheries.  
    post edited by rsquared - 2020/01/17 11:28:28
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/18 08:59:29 (permalink)
    I agree that the OP fish is a brown, and the fins are deformed so hatchery fish.  Also , if it is a big one, the guy was using cable for line, there is nothing else in the pic to indicate scale.
    Fisha
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/18 20:32:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I have caught hundreds of brown trout over 30 years and never caught another like this. Since it is hard to determine scale here's what I can tell you. It was around 12-13 inches long but had a start of a hook jaw that only a fully mature fish would have. It was most definitely a hatchery fish... its fins were a mess. I have caught 2 other fish I would say were tiger trout and they didn't look exactly like this but did have the same wavy pattern across the back. Again I have never caught a brown that had these patterns and colors but have seen other variations so who knows. I just think it's weird more people think a pure fish like a brown would have such a variation in appearance but a hybrid tiger trout MUST appear a certain way...I would think the hybrid would have a greater instance of color/ pattern variation.
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Tiger trout? 2020/01/18 22:32:59 (permalink)
    "I just think it's weird more people think a pure fish like a brown would have such a variation in appearance but a hybrid tiger trout MUST appear a certain way...I would think the hybrid would have a greater instance of color/ pattern variation."  You are correct . yours is a really bad species of tiger . But tiger 
    Jump to: