Helpful ReplySooo, why the poor returns this year so far?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 14:16:36 (permalink)
Wonder why some people call Steelhead fresh run in Dec. when the fish are already dark ? Fresh lake run steelhead are usually lighter or chrome color and fairly wild fighters, while the darker spawning ones tend to be less aggressive in comparison.

1995-2003 were the best of the best on Elk Creek and many other Erie shores and trib areas from Sept - Dec. it was solid steady action .  We caught fish in 70 degrees to 32 degrees made no difference ...they were there . I'll say this much ....Elk Creek flowed much higher in those days and held water better ...no doubt ....today it's almost pitiful how shallow it runs now.

Speaking of Folly's ...is that deeper hole behind the shop still there ? Probably gone or filled in or way lower now.  Use to hold 20-30 fish almost steady there in the good old days . The guy that ran the shop then was a good dude too....only problem was the out of town low life thieves that stole stuff off him when he wasn't looking. 

Upper Elk flowing in the fall .....2003
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3137
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 14:41:47 (permalink)
Great pic, pretty sure that's the run where my son caught his first steelie. We drove 2.5 hours to get up there, cold October morning.  Took him all of 30 seconds to fall in.  I went and bought him new waders so we could fish and not waste the day.  It paid off.  
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 16:12:35 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Wonder why some people call Steelhead fresh run in Dec. when the fish are already dark ? Fresh lake run steelhead are usually lighter or chrome color and fairly wild fighters, while the darker spawning ones tend to be less aggressive in comparison.

December 30, 2018.  One of many fresh run fish we caught that day above Rt. 20 on Elk.  

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 16:59:00 (permalink)
Captain are you serious?  Certainly a dude with your level of sperience knows better!  There are fresh fish running from the lake at every month from august to aprilish.  More obviously come in in early fall, I get that.  I've caught dark almost black ones on upper elk and nearly bright chrome in the same spot, same trip.  Ive had reel screamin jumpers while the snowflakes were a fallin! 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 17:17:26 (permalink)
fisherofmen376

Genie you said the same thing last year-this is all the feesh we will get.  Then we got a great fresh run in December...
ive been on this boards and walkin the creeks long enough to see the patterns.  NO it aint what it used to be.  But its good enough if you know what yer doing.  

You need to pay attention to what I said, Skippy
I never said there wouldn't be more fish.
not last year, this year or ever

let me try it this way and maybe it will help you understand

"if there's 127 fish in your SteritainiaPlatzrdFollysManchersterI79stOpsiGnhOlerun, right now...there won't 227 there  in December.

the "numbers" you see  at this time of year have peaked.
More will come in, but not enough to noticeably increase the amount that are being roped and die due to stress of landed foul or fair for the 37th time

Capisci?
(that's "capeesh" to you gentiles)

..L.T.A.

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 17:43:41 (permalink)
Genie I understood what ya said last year and i get it now...I just disagree!  
Last year you said the run peaked around this time.  then we got a big load in december.  You just said the same exact thing a year later...and we will see!  
There's really no objective way to measure who's right or wrong short of electro surveying.  But honestly it aint that big of a deal anyway.  
I don't think you have anymore insight into it than i do or anyone else who's been doing this for awhile, though you certainly speak as the authority at times.  If it makes you feel like the prognosticator of prognosticators, then great.  
There are a few locals I know who are either legit guides or really good at what they do and on the water almost daily.  I trust what they say.  I think the best is still yet to come.  If im wrong, that's ok cause it's the inturdnet and there's enuff feesh here for me as is.  
Signed, your pal Skippy.  

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 17:59:15 (permalink)
Nice pic Dave ........I guess I worded that wrong ....I know fresh fish can come in any time but I've seen fish almost black being caught late in the season and guys were saying must be a fresh run of fish ...lol .....that's who I was referring to ......my bad guys .

Fresh chrome ....my favorite color ....lol
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 19:37:17 (permalink)
Gotchya Brock.  Not a bad one ya got there!  Is that recent?

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/12 21:09:07 (permalink)
No Dave.....just a flashback . I don't fish the main Erie tribs that much anymore way too crowded for my likes ,I like to move around and fish ...always liked the bigger water too . I do about 5-6 Steelhead trips up north if that...haven't fished Elk in years it's kind of faded off my list ...and Walnut never was on my hit list ....ever.  I get a few fish and I'm happy now days. I got other fish I chase local ....I'm waiting on the Snakeheads to show up ! ...lol

Keep those boys hooks sharp !   

Latest photo  ........... 

My friend slammed these ...had a blast fighting them ...and good eating too !  
One day wild action all from shore  !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2019/11/13 12:50:21
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/13 16:46:25 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
 I think the best is still yet to come.  If im wrong, that's ok cause it's the inturdnet and there's enuff feesh here for me as is.  
Signed, your pal Skippy.  

just to be clear...and without fish shock therapy... you're saying you see higher numbers of fish "up and down" the cricks in mid Dec than mid Nov?
I emphasized "up n down" because I figure you're aware, there might be a 273 fish in X and Y  area and only 29 fish in Z area late Oct/early Nov
Come mid/late Dec, might only be a half dozen in X stretch, but Z run now has mo-fish
...they do move around

BUTT ...it don madder reely

I'll just say..."go get 'em Tiger"

Peace, love and hippy beads ..fo-reel

..L.T.A.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/13 19:46:10 (permalink)
Agreed ....Yes they do move both ways ...that's why some people fishing lower ends think it's a fresh run because now they are catching them there ....but they are darker....they are only backing down from upper holding areas. "Some " females don't usually darken as much as males so that fools some in their thinking. I've caught very nice fish at the Elk mouth access in Dec.....but most were already darker ....not fresh from the lake, even though the lake was only 500 yards away.

"Work is for people that don't know how to fish"  ! 

Keep warm boys.

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/13 21:52:21 (permalink)
yeah yeah yeah the old days captain,, i was part of the early explorers too in the mid 90s to early 2000s glory days  everything you say about elk creek is true i agree   but stop referring back to the old days because you make me feel older than i feel   lol lol times change fish change people change   streams change   its all good,,, jus to get out and fish and enjoy

I have become comfortably numb
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/14 20:24:41 (permalink)
Amen brother ....lol  It is what it is .....still beats working !
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/16 21:25:49 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Amen brother ....lol  It is what it is .....still beats working !

True, but just like us, it isn't what it was. :-(
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/18 10:39:17 (permalink)
I see Erie tribs are getting blasted on the reports page...no fish and hordes of fishermen !....lol

What else is new !

I love the keep walking the creeks and find them tip ....you keep walking and pretty soon your meeting the people from the bridge above coming down . Elk isn't that long of a creek with the open public fishing areas or that many good fish holding areas. It's mostly flat shallow shale rock with very limited holding holes so expect lots of company north and south as you venture....that's just the norm now days.

LOL.....take a number ! Always room for one more !

Nothing like a quite peaceful day of fishing at the secret hole ......lol

opps.....spot burn !
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2019/11/18 14:49:18
empty net
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/19 11:47:45 (permalink)
A number of guys on the reports page complaining about no fish in the Erie streams and saying how much better it is on the New York creeks.  I was up at both Oak Orchard and 18 mile this past weekend and saw very few fish hooked up.  It was my first trip there and was a bit disappointed with the results.  I am not the best fisherman in the world but when the other 20 guys around you are also getting skunked - either the fish are not biting or they are not there.  It just seems it was a bad fishing weekend everywhere on the tribs.  This will not deter me from trying these areas again nor will I not visit the Erie tribs this winter in pursuit of steelhead just because of some poor fishing conditions up there now.  Things will change and hopefully for the better.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1253
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/20 15:07:28 (permalink)
We just got back from fishing trout run from lake shore and it was tremendous fishing most everyone along the back was catching. Many fish were caught its was a fun couple days now we did fish walnut also but it was really dead few from the wall a couple in the basin.
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/23 14:32:19 (permalink)

Part of the reason for poor returns we the improper use of Lampricide on the Erie Tributaries by the USFWS in the spring killing smolts.
www.outdoornews.com/2018/07/17/no-wonder-feds-take-risks-to-kill-lampreys-stakes-are-high/
post edited by chrisrowboat - 2019/11/23 14:35:44

Proud to have been a FOT/
I've been out fishing.
Clean your gear/
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/24 06:10:45 (permalink)
That article really doesn’t say anything about numbers of smolts killed, and it only names one creek.

genieman77
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/24 16:15:10 (permalink)
Hoo's the new guy on the reports page?

and how much rain does it take to bring "new fish" in to creeks like Walnut and Elk??
better question, what is it about rain that makes most think it  triggers fish to run from lake to creek?

When the water clears in a day or three after a blowout, are you seeing tons more fish in the system???
Or just take it for granted because "everyone thinks and says so" that rain blowouts trigger fish to enter Elk or 'Nut?

..L.T.A.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/24 19:46:50 (permalink)
Good article ...I don't remember seeing anything about that fish kill on Conneaut . I do know many years ago on a small tributary creek in Erie a friend of mine said he'd seen a creek that was black with young lamprey eels ....millions upon millions only inches long swimming around !   
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/11/26 20:13:53 (permalink)
Man do we need rain. It was sooo bad today on elk. Almost as low and clear as summer levels.

Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/12/01 17:51:04 (permalink)
Kokanee Killer
yeah yeah yeah the old days captain,, i was part of the early explorers too in the mid 90s to early 2000s glory days  everything you say about elk creek is true i agree   but stop referring back to the old days because you make me feel older than i feel   lol lol times change fish change people change   streams change   its all good,,, jus to get out and fish and enjoy

Man I miss the days watching you reel in fish on your 5 Foot Ugly Stick and Mitchell 300 reel.. You were a good Student on the streams.. Always had my Coffee and Donut ready..
Steelhead281
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Sooo, why the poor returns this year so far? 2019/12/24 21:55:56 (permalink)
I recall the "good years" fondly.  We fished different water then.  On Elk we would walk the railroad trestle, hike down a goat path and fish some pretty great holes and runs.  The next day we would hike in and fish the stream up and down at I90.  Always caught th biggest steelhead and a few coho in that area.  Foleys was always good for the entire day from sunup till after sundown.  I think there are seven hairpin turns downstream of Foleys and every highbank has a great pool with runs above and below.  When was the last time you have fished some of the best holding water on the stream.  Are you spending your time hiking the waters at the new access on West Rd or hiking at the flats...no wonder you aren't finding fish...it is bad water, no holding areas.  The waters us "public fisherman" have to choose from offers limits holding water and plenty of competition.  I would love to resolve the issue of landowners selling public fish by leasing their land to private clubs.  I don't believe private individuals should be allowed to sell public resources....our stocked fish are a public resource.

So returns might be down but that may not be the whole problem...10-12 years ago I didn't fish the water I fish these days
post edited by Steelhead281 - 2019/12/24 21:56:57
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: