Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 34
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/16 16:40:36 (permalink)
great buck
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/16 17:14:15 (permalink)
HT congratulations.... đź‘Ť

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/17 15:45:29 (permalink)
Wacked and stacked.
My boys did well. 3 out of 4 head shots. Lotz work ahead before I go back next weekend. If all goes good, I may be fishing Thanksgiving week

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/17 18:00:45 (permalink)
Lookin to be a banner year for the HT gang. Congratulations guys.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/17 19:07:50 (permalink)
Time in the woods with my 2 sons. This will go a good ways towards the table

If I survive long enough, I have 9 grandchildren to go.

Ps. We hunt hardwoods.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/11/17 19:12:53

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/17 21:31:39 (permalink)
Cool Deer, Tuna! Lots of good eating there!   Now you can focus on fishing, hard water or soft, with this early February! 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/19 18:19:43 (permalink)
Tonight's DSR report was the best Steel report I have seen this year- Congrats to all who braved the weather and enjoyed it.

Rich- great family trip.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/23 22:17:01 (permalink)
I just got back from 4 days in DSR.  I don't get out at dawn , but I'm on the river as hard as an aging curmudgeon can be.  Randy Jones pimps the river really well, too.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/24 07:07:44 (permalink)
Today is the final day I look out this window for the season.
It's the earliest quit of a season I've had in many years. With me tagged out ( I did get transferred a doe tag to me so I can still legally hunt) and everyone in our group of 4 getting a deer, there is no point in continuing .
Seen a REAL NICE buck yesterday that just came and laid down in front of me. No buck tag so no shoot. He is still out there spreading the Gene's . I have a feeling we won't see him next year as his life cycle is near the end.
The weather is terrible, rain on bottom and snow up here on mountain. Lots fog.
Good luck to all that venture into the woods and waters and safe travels to those heading on the highways.

Peace and tuna

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/26 21:35:47 (permalink)
So the not so fun stuff of processing a deer, and multiple. I find them the hardest of any animal to. I've spent about 20 hrs so far on 4 deer. I'm no expert.
I'm down to 1 left and also some slicing more for jerky on the cuts we made on some.
We are getting lots of prime meat from mature deer and very well placed shots.
I'm very picky but pick them over well as not to waste a harvest. Haven't done and won't be able to weigh but my guesstimate so far is about 120 lbs packaged plus with 1 to go.
Freezers are full again. Fishing is so much easier, lol

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/11/27 12:49:39 (permalink)
Processing and cleanup complete. Thank goodness its done before the madhouse arrives tomorrow. I'm also very thankful to my son's and grandson for helping. Everyone contributed to their harvest from start to finish. I couldn't imagine doing this as a job or on the side. Chickens, pigs and fish I could handle but lean animals are tough.
In the end we did very well. Everyone went home with full coolers and happy faces.
Now I'm in the jerky process. I have about 20 lbs prime jerky to dehydrate.
My next real investment has to be a bigger commercial dehydrator that will hold 5 - 10 lbs at a time . Suggestions welcome ..
4 days left before I head back to the daily grind until my next adventures in February. Ice or steelhead but I will be giving my all for 9 days straight then. We really want to hit a few days at jailwater lodge. Wife, kids and grandchildren will love it too.
Of course I will update those intrested in jigging for Lakers. Traditionally, those deep waters start up around January 1.
I will be doing warm water species maybe next weekend.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving. Enjoy time with family, loved ones and friends.
I'm pretty thankful for everyday I get to spend in the out of doors

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/05 18:38:36 (permalink)
Just some fyi I should have spread earlier.
While buying things is fun stuff and I prefer to shop local small businesses . I'm no fool and do like the convenience of online and delivery to my door.
In last 4 years I've been working a warehouse retirement job , wasted talent, but it's what it is. I receive lots of deliveries everyday.
One thing of caution, now is NOT the time to shop online. The trucks are chock full and drivers are stressed. Your packages are not handled by any care at all and tossed all over the trucks to find .
If you order anything fragile or of size, it's most likely to be damaged.

Just saying

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/06 07:29:12 (permalink)
I did the lion's share of my expenditure away from town this year, at Ted's on Main Street in Pulaski.  My wife wanted a certain Irish Rune pendant two years ago, and I could not find one anywhere around Rochester, 2 years looking. A friend who's wife had one said he got it for her at Ted's, so one day in early September, when I had quit the river for the AM, and was heading to the hill for the PM< I stopped, and sure enough I was able to get the pendant there.  He even passed on a savings that came to him from the supplier.  It is a very nice store, really friendly people, and I went back in October and got a chain to go with the pendant.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/13 11:26:24 (permalink)
Welll see in the news that 'massive troves' of UFO documents are now publicly available.
Seems some UFO believer has 'released' all of his files to the public.
Yikes- here 'they' come.
Makes me remember my early days on the PD when some drunk guy called repeatedly about the lights in the sky from the South end of town. He reported ufo's constantly and we  made out sighting reports.
The reports were knowingly tongue in cheek not just because the guy was a well know tipster of magic fluids but that the local airport was on the south end of town and night flights by planes with their lights flashing were commonplace.
But- hey--who knows.
Fondly recall the night a couple of us took a gullible Sgt outside and showed him the lights- he ran back in and called the Air Force- he was a believer too - we got called in and told off for that one- but they had a bit of a chuckle over it while admonishing us.
We all got a kick out of it till a couple of days later when the Air force guys showed up to interview the Sgt.--we hadda confess.
Some nights were quiet in those days and young guys find stuff to do.
Hey- they were real complaints and it was our 'duty to follow up without personal opinions or common sense getting involved.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/13 12:15:06
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/13 12:31:57 (permalink)
I remember all the UFO daze back in the late 70's early 80's. Maybe it was from the movie ET craze or maybe it was the dead tours.
But regardless, I find it very hard to believe that there are no other places in space that don't support another form of life

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/13 12:35:10 (permalink)
Wasn't sayin there is an is't sayin there aint-  just sayin the folks who called us weren't- lol.
It IS huge out there---
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/13 13:29:37 (permalink)
UFOs📡 and Martians👾.... ohhhh my...... all I want for Christmas is a big asz drone.🌠

Younz familiar with the silver tin flashlights which was marketed for kids back in the day?

One of them flashlights tied to a helium ballon or two made for some great conversation when released during a new moon, from remote hill tops.

Never heard of anyone being injured by falling flashlights 🤕 so maybe the dam things are still floating around in outer space.🛰

🎅From me and mine too you and yours, a very merry merry.🎄
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/13 13:31:33

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/13 22:42:09 (permalink)
Rg, it's pretty funny because I never would have thought about UFO since 40 years ago until today.
Is this good or bad on our parts.
You brought it to my attention on this www site .
TV is now broadcasting it tonight which I rarely watch.
It may be a sign..
Turn off the news and build a garden instead of the alternative I've been doing

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/15 20:09:14 (permalink)
This is fun stuff I used to do all the time with grandfather, dad and taught my son's. Been slacking and only did once with my nephew last year.
Going out with my boys and grandson next Saturday and Christmas eve.
All public land a mile from my house.

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/16 20:45:20 (permalink)
Great photo Rich-wow -THATS a pile of bunnies.

Been looking for the swamp donkey all season-he's too elusive so far--again -hunting him now the third season.
Took a shooter- not him- 2 years back second to last day.
Took a little spike with the bow early last year and a small flathead early this year-both on another property- then been passing all season--Waiting for HIM-
Been seeing his track bout twice a week on the farm  but it seems he has gone nocturnal again.
I know where he is during the day but its a nearby NO place.
He's there all Summer but when the landowner season starts early, and my cousins get busy, the deer always leave during the day to this other bedding area - sometimes until the last few days of muzzel-got till 12/31 this year.
2 of my last 3 shooters there were on the last day or two of the season in Muzzel.
Just kinda nice to know he is still around- gotta be 7, at least.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/16 21:00:34
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/16 21:13:19 (permalink)
Rg, we start serious meat hunting about 3rd week in October. The big gun starts on 3rd Saturday in November. The way we figure is if it don't happen by the weekend after Thanksgiving, after about 200 hrs in the woods, they all get a free pass as the weather and conditions become on their side.
Very rarely do we come away disappointed.
We pass on so many deer and we are not antler hunting by any means. Its just about having scouted and cameras to know what's out there.

Good luck with the muzzle loader. Mine have hung on the walls in my kids homes for a long time. My only remembrance of powder left in my house.
Right now its ice season.
We will do a rabbit hunt Saturday, pike ice Sunday and another rabbit hunt Christmas eve.

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/17 11:10:14 (permalink)
Here in my local the rabbits are scarce,used to be plenty but they have dwindled the last ten years.I think the reason for that lies in the heavy use of weed killer in farming.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/17 16:18:52 (permalink)
pafisher
Here in my local the rabbits are scarce,used to be plenty but they have dwindled the last ten years.I think the reason for that lies in the heavy use of weed killer in farming.

Coyotes or coy-dogs take their fair share too.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/17 17:05:26 (permalink)
Yotes, Bears, Bobcats, Opossums  Birds of prey all take a heavy toll on bunnies.
Not to mention wet Springs-even with more than one liter a year loosing one is a factor.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/17 17:07:04
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/17 21:30:35 (permalink)
Yes predators take their share. They always have . The lions share has been loss habitat.
Mowing fields and building housing developments has been the biggest bunny killer

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/18 08:48:24 (permalink)
r3g3
Yotes, Bears, Bobcats, Opossums  Birds of prey all take a heavy toll on bunnies.
Not to mention wet Springs-even with more than one liter a year loosing one is a factor.

I had bunches of bunnies in my woods. When I cut brush to clear paths, I piled it up to make brush piles and then would dump blackberries on it to make it narly. Have seen as many as 7 out at a time in deer season from my treehouse.

Then, zero. I’m sure the line coyote that circles through every couple of weeks gets some. The eagles get some when they set up hunting here for the month of May. But what took them to zero are the fishers. Saw one along the creek near the rabbit hutches almost everyday hunting deer. Despicable weasels.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 14:06:01 (permalink)
Ice storm still on the  ground and trees -LOUD woods -nights in the low teens-Holiday events- might be lucky to get one more day in before the 31st end of muzzel- if  I do it'l be a brown and down trip- no more passing for a donkey.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/20 14:07:38
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 17:25:50 (permalink)
I don't hunt farmland but in our hardwoods the only neighbor ( real deliverance type) is always busier than a beaver running chainsaw, tractor and log splitter. I mean real deliverance like 3 mobile homes tied together to make a house with tarps connecting them together, more junk than a scrap yard and if you ever wondered why your yellow mail box never got delivered, I bet I could give you 1 or a thousand and 1.
Their noise really doesn't bother the deer at all. I actually hunt my best stand right behind his compound ( on our property) because the noise and smoke from the wood boiler provides great scent and noise cover. The deer have no clue I'm there. The only thing that gets annoyed is me from hearing the equipment .

Rg,
Do you process your deer yourself ?
I've cut countless deer. One thing I despise is cutting small deer. Unless one dosen't care what goes into the " mix " ( generally a butcher) I would rather shoot nothing than shoot what we consider a pass based on size. My son's have been very good at understanding this. I'm also trying to teach them good shooting. Wait for the " shot " meaning close is better and head shots waste no meat.
A shooter deer is always based on body mass, never antlers or not.

Good luck out there.
I have a bunch right now hanging out at the bird feeders as I type

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 18:29:55 (permalink)
Rich- cept for turkey I only hunt single shot guns.
Always gotta wait out the right shot.
Only use a pump for Turkey cause I aint gonna buy another gun.
I think small deer are the best eating and if ya want roasts that cut with a fork or real tender stew meat will take a small one over any other.
My rule- eaters are NEVER taken on the same property as a shooter. Shooters ( adult bucks mostly 3 1/2 plus) gotta be on a natural flow with as little interference as possible iMHO.
Love swamp donkeys and have taken many-  it became a way of life seeking them  -its WORK and scouting and prep for a lot more months than the season to chase and harvest those kinda deer regularly.
Buttt they eat HARD if not just ground up. Not knocking sausage and burger but like roasts and stew too.
Have most always processed myself- wayyyy back had it done a couple of times but wasn't happy. 

Noise---in a tree and one I wanted walked past on the trail- no shot.
Landowner 100 yards down the hill started a skill saw while working on a shed. Deer walked right back on the trail and stood broadside watching him sawing.
SMACK went the arrow  lol.

post edited by r3g3 - 2019/12/20 18:35:46
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/12/20 18:58:56 (permalink)
We will have to agree on a disagreement towards young vs older.
Forage animals taste the same regardless of age. They all taste what they eat.
The only difference to me is mussel to meat ratio. All have both and in the same locations, smaller deer have less meat and more mussel building.
Larger deer have more to offer, again I judge body size not necessarily age or antlers.
We see a ton of 1.5 small deer and pass unless its body size is appropriate.
Given that, I also pass on larger antlers but body does not encourage a shooter.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 34
Jump to: