other fish to catch

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2019/11/11 23:15:18 (permalink)

other fish to catch

A nice c & R Northern my buddy caught in the upper Allegheny this past weekend.  sam
post edited by mr.crappie - 2019/11/11 23:16:52

17 Replies Related Threads

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/12 14:27:54 (permalink)
    ? .....no photo ....I use this site for all pics here.

https://postimg.cc/yWgPpGyT/08118ce4
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/12 17:15:39 (permalink)
    Capt. isn't the pict. showing up on your computer,it is showing on mine.I am not good at this lol  sam
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/12 18:08:47 (permalink)
    Can't see anything on mine ....?
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/13 11:24:41 (permalink)
    Im not getting anything also.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/13 12:58:09 (permalink)
    Sorry for my ineptness,pict. shows up on my computer,but not my buddy's either. Anyways it was a pict. of a nice Northern (appro. 32-36" & nice & fat) also he caught 3 what we call mud puppies approx.2' long apiece,3 legal walleyes & a couple of nice smallies & saw a large Musky that jumped in front of them. This was 2 guys from shore in 1 afternoon. Also 1 short Sauger. All on large creek chubs.Very good day in my book,btw he shot a nice 7pt with his compound earlier so that he could fish now.  sam
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/13 16:34:24 (permalink)
    Mud puppies, as in the large salamanders?  I have never caught one of those, thankfully.  I would be kind of freaked out to hold and unhook one...
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/13 19:16:29 (permalink)
    I've caught a few of them when bank fishin' in my younger days. We called 'em waterdogs, and we just threw them up on the bank to die. I once found a dead one on Buffalo Creek that somebody else had killed, but before it died, it regurgitated about 25 crayfish that it had gobbled. The dang thing was nearly two feet long. They eat a lot of the small mouth bass' chow.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/13 20:20:09 (permalink)
    porktown,We also called them hellbenders. They are pretty harmless although a lot of people are afraid of them. The biggest prob. is that they sort of roll up your line when caught & leave a very sticky slime on your line & lure that is  very hard to remove. They are fast disappearing in our waterways & most guys have never caught one. They are supposed to be a sign of healthy waters. They are pretty homely tho.  sam
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/13 22:40:31 (permalink)
       Icky sticky slimey but, they're just so danged cute and definitely, catch and release.  French Creek was notorious for the waterdog and I wouldn't hold one trying to get it unhooked, just cut the line as close to the mouth as possible.  Grabbin hold of a cat, ain't nearly as gooey.

Sam congratulations to your buddy.  Nothing like a dinner plate of walleye and venison.  Pennsylvania Surf & Turf.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/11/13 22:48:15

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 12:05:39 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Mud puppies, as in the large salamanders?  I have never caught one of those, thankfully.  I would be kind of freaked out to hold and unhook one...

Can’t stand them especially when you get the big ones and they try to snap at you when your going for the hook.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 12:07:30 (permalink)
    EMitch
    I've caught a few of them when bank fishin' in my younger days. We called 'em waterdogs, and we just threw them up on the bank to die. I once found a dead one on Buffalo Creek that somebody else had killed, but before it died, it regurgitated about 25 crayfish that it had gobbled. The dang thing was nearly two feet long. They eat a lot of the small mouth bass' chow.

Shouldn’t do that to them they have a right to be there than some of the rubbish fish and invasive. Just saying
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 14:29:48 (permalink)
    Thought while we was on the subject some younz might find this interesting.  They're just so danged cute.

https://www.pennlive.com/...s-deny-protection.html

Hellbender moves toward official status in Pennsylvania, but feds deny protectionPosted Apr 17, 2019

This undated photo provided by Peter Petokas, a research associate at the Clean Water Institute of Lycoming College's biology department, shows an adult Eastern hellbender, an aquatic salamander that can grow up to two feet long, making them the largest North American amphibian according to the Center for Biological Diversity. (Peter Petokas via AP)

shares

By Marcus Schneck | mschneck@pennlive.com

The eastern hellbender – an aquatic salamander that can grow to more than 2 feet in length – is one signature away from becoming Pennsylvania’s official amphibian.The Pennsylvania House of Representatives on Tuesday approved Senate Bill 9, which passed the Pennsylvania Senate in early February, and sent it to Gov. Tom Wolf for his signature to become law.The designation as an official symbol of Pennsylvania brings no additional protections for America’s largest salamander, which earlier this month was denied listing under the federal Endangered Species Act by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Center for Biological Diversity had petitioned the USFWS to protect the eastern hellbender under the ESA in 2010, and had pursued court action to two settlements in which the agency agreed to expedite protections. But the USFWS instead proposed protection for the Ozark hellbender, a subspecies that occurs only in Missouri and Arkansas.In announcing that it would not propose the eastern hellbender, the USFWS said a status review of the species “determined that most populations of the eastern hellbender are not in danger of extinction and do not warrant listing under the Endangered Species Act. However, the eastern hellbender population in Missouri is a distinct population segment and the Service is proposing to list this DPS as endangered.”According to the USFWS, the status assessment found that about 61 percent of the species’ historic populations remain, all of which are associated with large river drainages.
    What is a hellbender? And why do they want to protect it?The hellbender has hit the headlines again recently as legislators move to make it Pennsylvania’s state amphibian.

Elise Bennett, a Center for Biological Diversity attorney working to protect reptiles and amphibians, said the decision “flagrantly ignores the reality of the hellbender’s dire situation and gives these imperiled animals a big shove toward extinction.”She disputed the USFWS finding of 61 percent and instead claimed that 78 percent of historically known hellbender populations have disappeared or are in decline. They face threats from chemical pollution and sedimentation caused by development, deforestation and dams.The hellbender is particularly vulnerable to water contamination because of its permeable skin and sensitive eggs, which it lays in water.Disease can also cause catastrophic loss of hellbenders. Emerging infectious diseases are on the rise, particularly among salamander populations, and hellbenders are showing symptoms of fungal infection across their range.In addition to Pennsylvania, eastern hellbenders are found across 14 other states: northeastern Mississippi, northern Alabama, northern Georgia, Tennessee, western North Carolina, western Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, eastern Illinois, southern Indiana, east-central Missouri, Ohio, western Maryland and southern New York. 

Some states have given the species protected status, but Pennsylvania has not.The move in Pennsylvania to designate the hellbender as the state’s official amphibian began more than 2 years ago with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s student leadership council. Aided by Lycoming College’s Clean Water Institute, students studied hellbenders, installed nesting boxes in several Pennsylvania streams and wrote the first draft of a bill that did not make it through the entire legislative process last year.Hellbenders, which have a colorful set of nicknames that includes mud devil, devil dog, ground puppy, snot otter, lasagna lizard and Allegheny alligator, are an indicator species for clean water in that they survive where there is cold, clear, swift-running water. Folds of wrinkled skin provide a large surface through which the salamanders draw most of their oxygen.A lack of streamside trees along Pennsylvania’s waterways allows waters to warm, polluted runoff to enter rivers and streams, and silt to build up in streambeds. As a result, habitat for hellbenders has been degraded and hellbender numbers have been decimated in streams where they were plentiful as recently as 1990.

Salamanders of Pennsylvania: 22 species, 2-20 inches, blue, red, green, yellow, marbledPennsylvania is home to 22 species of salamanders, from the giant hellbender to striking marbled salamander. Some are abundant across all of Pennsylvania. Others are endangered and limited to very restricted ranges.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/11/14 14:34:09

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 14:53:38 (permalink)
    btdt, Thanks for posting that Pict. John, the ones that I was trying to post were a lot bigger(of course) lol. but your pict. was better. They are hard to hold on to,but not dangerous.They have very small teeth,like catfish. They seem very aggressive but are only trying to get away.It is amazing how well camouflaged they are underwater. It is very amusing to watch some-one who has never caught one reacts when they land their first.  sam
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 15:55:38 (permalink)
    Sam most welcome and believe me I'd rather see your pics those actually caught on hook and line.

As for looks on the face of newbies catching one, I'm not new to these things but I do remember the first one I tried unhooking. Everything was going well until the thing opened it's mouth widely, hissing loudly then making grunting sounds, like it was barking at me.

Sure as hell glad there wasn't Youtube or Facebook in those days. I'd a been an internet sensation doing the 'mudpuppy' dance speaking in 'tongues' and endin up on my asz in the water.

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 17:51:18 (permalink)
    btdt, Now that's funny I don't care who you are!!!  I just hate to see people kill things that they don't understand just because they are scared of it. We used to have the same problem with snapping turtles,,people would kill them just to watch them die.Most critters are just trying to get by,like we are.  sam
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/14 20:25:45 (permalink)
    Sam, that's what I like about you, live and let live.

Someday maybe I'll tell ya about my experience laying block under summer homes & cottages, with a guy who nearly took my head off with a shovel trying to kill a salamander I tossed out, while digging a ditch for a footing. Thank goodness, I could roll back under the building. The salamander too.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: other fish to catch 2019/11/15 13:15:10 (permalink)
    A friend of mine was fishing the local Trout stream years ago , he had wading out into the creek . After fishing awhile he noticed something climbing up his boot underwater ...he about came unglued ! He said it was a huge lizard like creature that he had never seen before ! I think his waders were wet on the inside too that day ! ....lol   
    Jump to: