Helpful ReplyZack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away!

Author
Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 310
  • Reward points: 0
2019/09/16 09:56:18 (permalink)

Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away!

FishUSA's Kayak Expert Zack K. is here to answer any and all of your questions. Zack has been fishing out of a kayak for around the last 5 years. Like many others in the sport, he immediately fell in love with it. Currently, Zack fishes the Western PA Kayak Anglers Trail and the Kayak Bass Fishing (KBF) Trail. Zack has a plethora of kayaking knowledge and continues to keep up on new trends, innovations, and techniques. Whether your question involves general kayaking, rigging, fishing techniques, or anything else you can think of, there is a very good chance he will have an answer. He is looking forward to answering your questions! Ask Away!
HookInMouth
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away! 2019/09/18 09:11:07 (permalink)
Anchoring in moving water. Do you recommend? And if so, type of anchoring system, placement, etc. 
Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away! 2019/09/18 14:54:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HookInMouth 2019/09/20 09:53:12
You can definitely anchor in moving water. However, you will still have to be mindful of the water conditions. Take in to consideration the speed of the current/wind, the way you want to be positioned, and keep an eye out for floating debris, such as logs, that way you can prevent an accident. You always want to be wary of the type of anchor you use as well. I personally use a Grapnel Anchor when I am in open water as it will dig into the bottom and hold you in place. If you are in open water and want to catch a slow drift and not be stationary, check out the YakGear Drift Anchor. When fishing a river, I would use something along the lines of a Downrigger Ball or a length of chain. Those will not keep you in place in faster currents but will act more like a drag to slow you down. The reason being, you do not want to get your anchor caught and stuck. If that happens, there is the potential to swamp or flip your kayak. When anchoring in any body of water, it is best to have some sort of knife attached to your life vest just in case you do get stuck and need to cut your anchor line. Check out the NRS Pilot, Co-Pilot, or Neko knives. Gerber also offers a knife called the Crossriver.

As for anchoring systems, I use the Anchor Wizard. It's a great way to manage your anchor line and not have it all over the place. The YakAttack SideWinder is another option to manage anchor line. Either one of these systems can be used independently to deploy an anchor, but I highly recommend that you install an Anchor Trolley System. These are simple to install and let you have the freedom to position yourself the way that you want to face on the water depending on the current/wind. I have one on each side of my kayak.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!
post edited by Admin - 2019/09/18 15:05:12

Zack K.
814-616-2156
zack@fishusa.com
HookInMouth
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away! 2019/09/19 10:05:05 (permalink)
The rivers I usually frequent are of the "lazy" variety so the current isn't very fast (yet surprisingly strong and not to be underestimated).

Its a VERY rocky bottom and my concern is mainly getting caught up in the rocks. The downrigger ball might work well.

Great advise. Thank you. 
New Angler
Re: Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away! 2019/09/19 13:01:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HookInMouth 2019/09/20 09:53:08
Never underestimate any body of water. You just never know I want to make my own chain drag for the next year. I would even consider having both a downrigger ball and a drag.

Zack K.
814-616-2156
zack@fishusa.com
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3508
Re: Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away! 2019/09/19 14:58:21 (permalink)
Speed or stability? Where do like that balance to fall? I have the Nucanoe Frontier 12 so I opted for stability. Can't beat that boat for stand up fishing. 

My rifle is a black rifle
New Angler
Re: Zack K. FishUSA Kayak Expert: Ask Away! 2019/09/20 14:48:50 (permalink)
dpms
Speed or stability? Where do like that balance to fall? I have the Nucanoe Frontier 12 so I opted for stability. Can't beat that boat for stand up fishing. 

I try to find a 50/50 ratio. With wanting a "fishing" kayak, I knew that they are typically wider than recreational kayaks. With it being wider, that's more weight and surface area for the water to drag on. Also with a fishing kayak, stability is a major factor. I ended up going with a Bonafide Kayaks SS127. Their Tri Hull is awesome!! I've been in some 3-4' waves and didn't have an issue. I was also looking at the NuCanoe Frontier 12 because I waterfowl hunt as well. I opted for the Bonafide due to having the DryPod built in, I keep my phone, wallet, keys, and anything else valuable in there. The seat was another huge factor. I like that I can sit up that high so it keeps some pressure off of my back. 

Speed and stability are always the biggest things to look at and can sometimes be hard to equal out. I always take into consideration the things that I want as well and weigh all of my options together. Before buying any kayak, just like buying a car, it's always best to try before you buy!
post edited by Admin - 2019/09/20 14:50:47

Zack K.
814-616-2156
zack@fishusa.com
Jump to: