Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/20 20:55:43 (permalink)
Shower time .
Need a real job.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/20 23:46:07 (permalink)
I'm thinking, need a bigger kitchen. lol

That's some mighty fine lookin sauce. šŸ‘
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/20 23:48:34

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837ā€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/21 07:51:49 (permalink)
One of the best things I bought last year was a cast iron camp stove. We do most of our work outside. It really helps keep the mess to a minimum and a little cooler then in the house. As I've shown before, we also have a complete processing table and sink setup for outdoor use .

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/21 09:17:29 (permalink)
Did 11 qts of stewed tomatoes last week and will need to can again soon.  All maters, onions, peppers and basil are from the garden.  Few dry spices are bought....

Didn't get enough to can AT ALL last year so already ahead of the game...

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/22 20:37:08 (permalink)
So where yo start ? My pigs have been finished at butcher. I will pick up tomorrow and start the curing and smokehouse process on bacon and hams on Saturday.
I salt/ brown sugar and peppercorn my hams and bacon for 5 -7 days.
Then they go into the smokehouse at low heat for 5-14 hrs depending. I'll probably smokehouse a few butts and a roast then they get frozen, bacon sliced and frozen along with any other smokehouse meats . All else frozen right away.
Basically I have a weeks worth of meat processing ahead.
Chickens are growing fast. I may slaughter half of them whole sooner than I did last batch and let the rest mature fully.

The garden :
We have exceeded last year on everything except zucchini. It was poor and I may buy a few local. Tomatoes are almost maxed out after this weeks picking. I could get a second yield but I will start to pull them for replant of more spinach and lettuce.
Peppers are cranking and won't be a issue in their location to keep them coming. Green beans out our ears and the second planting is right around the corner to come as well as cucumbers. I'm pretty set on pickles, bread and butter/ dill.
Horseradish never came back this year.
Pretty much after labor day, I'll be clearing garden space and preparing for garlic. Next year's garlic goal is around 300 bulbs.

In the very near future the only reports I'll have to share on this thread will be applesauce and meat chickens harvest. I will prepare my egg chickens plan in the spring.

Happy eating form the fruit of your labor.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/08/22 20:39:29

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/23 12:44:30 (permalink)
HeyRich,are you going to do any fishing? I'll be at Cannons from 9/27 to 10/5
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/23 18:24:30 (permalink)
Jack, I do have all intentions of seeing you there this year.
Just picked my pigs up from butcher, 2 of 3 were mine.
Just the way I like it, my 3 freezers are packed full of beef , chicken and pork.
The refrigerators are holding 60 lbs of slab bacon and 20 lbs of hams to be cured starting tomorrow.
Not pictured is the chicken or beef freezer.
In 2 weeks I will have most of my garden and farm duties outta the way and will be focusing all out on fishing and hunting.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/08/23 22:20:06

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/23 18:25:55 (permalink)
Oh beef freezer is next door at mom's house

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/23 20:40:27 (permalink)
415 lbs total packaged out of 3 pigs 6.5 months old.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/24 18:11:52 (permalink)
Pretty big party for my 1 year old Willie here today and smokehouse doing its thing. We saved about 40 lbs fresh corn.
Tomorrow I will catch up on chores

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/25 10:54:02 (permalink)
pafisher

I should be off and at least partially healed ...........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.Ā  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/25 11:13:59 (permalink)
Hey Clint, up until a week or so ago I had great Pepper plants with very few pods.   I gave them a shot of Miracle Grow Tomato food as it is like ##-18-# for Phosphorus, which promotes flowering.  Also, it was very hot in July, and peppers won't set fruit when it is over 70Ā° F at night.  This recent stretch of colder nights has the plants that were "dormant" flowering like crazy, and a lot of fruit has set.  Now I just have to hope that they develop and then ripen before the killing frost comes or the steelhead run, all are hot climate varieties.  Or I am making green sauce this year.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/25 19:19:40 (permalink)
3 sabs cut into quarters and raw frozen. 3 slabs cut and curing. 4 hams curing.
15 pints salsa completed. After next week, I'm very close to pulling the plug on the bulk of the garden. Still have a good 3 weeks left for peppers and greens to continue before frost. New garlic goes in Columbus weekend. 1/2 cow processed arrives Sept 7th
Way to tired...

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/26 07:23:06 (permalink)
Gotta say, Rich, that home raised pork looks a LOT leaner and meatier than the stuff that comes from the meatpackers!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/26 08:05:19 (permalink)
I feed them on my grains from my local livestock supplier. It's all gmo free. The only other foods are vegetables and some grass. Absolutely no doughnuts or junk food.
My chickens get grains until the last few weeks then I go about 80% cracked corn to but a little fat on them.
I have a 1/2 cow coming soon.
One thing for sure is we won't be buying supermarket foods

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/26 13:14:34 (permalink)
Remember when you process the birds to save the leaf fat that covers the body cavity opening.
I have a pan of cold water on the table, save the fat pad from each bird into it and then drain off the water and render it down on the stovetop after cutting it into about 1" chunks with kitchen shears. Keep the heat low and stir frequently.
Drain through double layer of cheesecloth into a metal or glass container till cool enough to pour into a couple of plastic containers with lids, some of the Glad 2 cup storage containers fit nicely into freezer door shelves.
I just break off a bit still frozen with a knife when needed. Makes a great oil for frying pan or coating potatoes for oven fried potatoes. Doesn't leave any aftertaste that I've ever noticed and takes high heat really well. My name for it is "chicken butter" and I love having it available.
Please ignore this if I've already posted about it, lol.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/26 18:49:15 (permalink)
Never would have thought. Thanks for the tip, will do.
Just moved the chicken tractor pen. Its always an adventure. Disconnect the water barrel, which usually leaks when reconnected. Put the wheels on, which never seem to be high enough. Connect front to ATV, which never seems to want to pull straight and re stray the bedding area.
Anyway, a 15 minute project turned into 1:15.
I'm learning , even about chicken butter ā¤
Getting bored quickly with the garden.
Starting to get overgrown with cucumbers, beans and weeds. Tomatoes are starting their second fruits and I'm not sure I want to wait for the smaller results.
Peppers are confined and no worries .
I'm thinking raking 50% out and just replacing with greens and prepare for garlic.

This upcoming weekend is at our hunting camp to tent, burn big fires and put 12 cameras out.
I do miss this:

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/26 21:07:35 (permalink)
Lucky13
Hey Clint, up until a week or so ago I had great Pepper plants with very few pods.   I gave them a shot of Miracle Grow Tomato food as it is like ##-18-# for Phosphorus, which promotes flowering.  Also, it was very hot in July, and peppers won't set fruit when it is over 70Ā° F at night.  This recent stretch of colder nights has the plants that were "dormant" flowering like crazy, and a lot of fruit has set.  Now I just have to hope that they develop and then ripen before the killing frost comes or the steelhead run, all are hot climate varieties.  Or I am making green sauce this year.

Makes sense L13 . I did notice some of the plants had a few flowers on them now. Will wait and see.  our pig will go out next month, cow in December. A few more jars of salsa have been made and still plenty of corn. Taters are starting to lit back , but they will stay in the ground for another month. I too will get the garlic patch ready soon for fall planting

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.Ā  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/28 18:31:35 (permalink)
Clint S
pafisher

I should be off and at least partially healed ...........

Jack, I officially have nothing set up as for lodging but I have a small folding cott and can probably figure something out even at last minute.
My date for your timing would be arriving Sunday Sept 29 ( anytime you plan on hitting water) and leaving Monday September 30 when our arms or net is to tired . That may be my only opportunity

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/28 18:41:54 (permalink)
Speaking of injuries.
I broke my right wrist 2.5 years ago. It healed ok in about 4 months, including abuse.
In last 3 weeks its been a problem.
Now it's a real problem.
Instead of doing this with my left hand, I can only do this with my right.
Sucks:

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/29 21:29:23 (permalink)
So something I learned. Clint or others please comment.
Free range cattle without supplement of grains and corn tastes horrible.
That's what's being offered to me , totally grass fed .
I can see the thought as to taste , you are what you eat right ?

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 07:13:06 (permalink)
My father was the meat manager for two different supermarket chains. In addition, when he was growing up (born in 1924), his parents owned a Mom and Pop butcher shop. Plus, his brother was the head butcher at a local slaughter house.

He could touch a piece of beef through the packaging, particularly the fat, and tell if it were grass fed or grain fed. If it were grass fed, he never bought it because the fat does not render the same, often becoming tough and adding the flavor of whatever type of grass they fed on (not too bad if it was quality stuff like Timothy or alfalfa, really lousy if it were whatever grew in an unfarmed pasture).

I always get a laugh when a store, restaurant, or food snob pushes ā€œgrass fedā€ beef. All they are doing is applying a marketing spin to having cheaper (as in cost, not price) beef because they didnā€™t have to buy or grow grain.

Think of the taste difference between farm deer, most of which are corn, soybeans, and species specific hay and mountain deer that ate whatever they could forage, including browse.

Ask anyone who has hunted western US deer or elk just how bad one of those tastes if they live in an area where they must eat sage.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 08:47:34 (permalink)
While I have no experience with raising cattle, everything I have read, and was told by my nutritionist when my doc made me go on a diet, is that corn fed beef is really bad for you because of the high fat content, and it is that same high fat content that gives it it's good flavor and mouth feel.  The nutritionist said the best meat I could eat was venison, because even the farm area deer do not get the fat and marbling because they are so active in relation to pastured cattle.  The basic rule was that the better it tastes, the worse it is for you (best tasting part of a pig is the shoulder!).  Why Kale is so good for you!!!
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 09:12:39 (permalink)
Whats the purpose of having a steak if it tastes awful ?
Go for the corn fed- if ya have issue with it - eat it less often, but enjoy it.
Nothing worse than a chewey lousy piece of meat, why bother, IMHO.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 09:39:14 (permalink)
I agree with ya rg. I give my chickens and pigs a higher dosage of corn towards the end to increase fat and marbling in the meat.
When we butcher my deer, most of it is ground. I save all the extra trimmings from my bacon and mix that with the ground venison to about 80/20. Nothing worse than a dry version burger. My back straps are cut into about 8 " sections, sliced open to create a pocket then stuffed with jalapeno cream cheese and finally completely wrapped in bacon.
As Mr Food used to say " Ooh it's so good " !!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 10:21:44 (permalink)
Yinz want to taste yummy beef, try sinking your teeth into a T-Bone steak or juicy burger from a 'dairy cow'. šŸ˜µ

All the corn or pork fat in the world, can't fix that stuff. šŸ˜«šŸ¤¢

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837ā€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 13:09:36 (permalink)
A friend, after retiring from the police department, moved to central NY and since has raised feed lot beef.  On occasion he slaughters one for personal use and I've had both ground beef and steaks from his animals which were hay and grass fed.  I never wanted to insult the guy but it was some of the worst tasting beef I have ever had.  You couldn't cut this steak with a samurai sword.  Lol
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 13:35:04 (permalink)
When I used to kill deer we would debone the hind legs,freeze,then slice it as thin as possble.We would then fry until just done and make steak sandwich's with steak sauce and onions/cheeze yummy!
By the way the DSR is reporting Salmon are starting!!!!
post edited by pafisher - 2019/08/30 13:36:29
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 19:19:59 (permalink)
This bacon is gorgeous. .
10 lbs down 50 to go.
Its prohibiting me from dancing tonight with Lukas or our local fair my my high school band playing but priorities take president

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/30 20:33:03 (permalink)
hot tuna
So something I learned. Clint or others please comment.
Free range cattle without supplement of grains and corn tastes horrible.
That's what's being offered to me , totally grass fed .
I can see the thought as to taste , you are what you eat right ?

You got it, the grass fed stuff is not too bad, but one time we made a mistake . We butchered a cow in the  spring that had been in the barn all winter, it literally tasted like hay. It was the absolute worse stuff ever. I could not give it away. We ate it but were not smiling.  We have done a few in the fall when we did not grain alot in the summer and they were ok but just a touch gamey We now make sure the ones to go get extra grain for a month before they go out and that has worked out well.

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 56
Jump to: