Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/03 14:55:58 (permalink)
Getting closer. There are 6 sauce pots brewing and 2 crock pots.
I'm thinking this run will be 20 quarts

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/03 16:15:12 (permalink)
12 quarts in processing. Easily have 10 more. They will sit and brew overnight and process tomorrow.
Very happy with first yield. I've got 3 or 4 more to go.
Also finished up first batch pickles. Vegetables maybe tomorrow depending upon my time amongst other duties.
Once this batch is done, I put on my dancing shoes for live local music. Gonna be late night.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/04 13:47:50 (permalink)
Finished out with 21 quarts.
Now I got to get picking more for next batch. We are on target for 100 quarts

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/07 18:48:27 (permalink)
Round 2 almost ready. Picking a box full daily. I think Friday or Saturday is sauce day depending on the cook.
I'm canning bread and butter pickles weekly.
Zucchini is coming on but I wish I had a bread maker. Thoughts on them? We used to make handmade but its not conducive anymore.
Green beans are just starting to explode. We been picking daily for fresh but the motherlode is coming this weekend.
Cabbage is doing well. Pick as need and let grow for future when sun gets lower.
Peppers are also coming strong. I hate dehydrating them but I do to preserve until the motherlode comes to pickle.
Lettuce, spinach and herbs are daily.
Cauliflower is done as I only did 2 .
Chickens go into pen this weekend. They are 2.5 weeks old. Light on for picture.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/07 20:13:00 (permalink)
How can it get any better. Everything except oil , breadcrumbs and a coworkers honey raised or grown by my hands.
Fried chicken, garden salad, homemade dressing and fried zucchini.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/08/07 20:14:47

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/08 01:30:49 (permalink)
Any experiences I've had with bread machine products (which has been limited, and from other folks doing the baking) have been white bread loaves that were denser than regular method baking. I never studied the machine process enough to determine if it was recipe or method causing it.  I don't have any experience with fruit breads from the machines.
I know it is labor intensive to bake bread but I have to admit I enjoy the process and the smell of bread raising and baking....
Remember, even if you can't use it all immediately the first loaf can be enjoyed fresh and the second and even third can be wrapped and frozen and used later for French toast or breakfast toast, BLTs, toasted for use on onion soup or cut up for bread pudding or stuffing. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/08 08:22:55 (permalink)
Fisherlady I had a bread machine (once 😁) and enjoyed the aftermath of throwing ingrediants into the pan, pushing the start button and coming back to a fresh loaf of bread (or Facsimile thereof πŸ™„)

OMGosh what a hoot... sometimes the pan might be half full with a hard crusted whatever it was (super for soups, stewed tomatoes, stuffing) and other times the loaf would mushroom overtop of the pan into something beyond imagination.

'That being said', once in a while a near (I said near😎) perfect loaf of bread.🍞

But seldom, when using the machine, did our house fill with the lovely aroma from fresh bread baking in the oven. Though at times, there was the essence of bread burning in the oven.πŸ˜•

Nor did the machine bread, have the same flavor or texture as oven baked.

A tad too much of this, not enough of that, adding an ingrediant at the wrong time, using yeast straight from a refrigerator or whatever other excuse the machine could use and we'd usually end up with a lovely lump of crust.

Suddenly one day the machine disapeared and though I never asked, I've a feeling my bread machine sleeps in a land fill. Likely with all my failed attempts at baking a fresh loaf of homemade bread.

Today, I don't make my own dough but use the store bought stuff baking it in my oven (ok wife's oven) but only because, she enjoys fresh baked bread too. Plus it's nearly impossible for me to screw that up. 🀠

Better yet, find an Amish bake sale but you don't get that yummy smell, of fresh bread baking in the oven. Howeverrrrr, there is the option of fresh baked pies too!!!πŸ˜ƒ

P.S. I don't buy cake at those bake sales🍰. The Amish have this silly rule that sez "You can have your cake, but you can't eat it too". What's up with that? 😞
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/08 08:31:23

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/08 11:49:32 (permalink)
Thanks for the insight folks. My wife used to do homemade breads and we enjoyed it but she is now no longer interested in the time.
I'm looking to recreate that using a supposedly automated machine.
I envision, garlic , blueberry, cinnamon and fresh pizza dough.
I guess I'm just dreaming.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/08 12:06:04 (permalink)
HT any thought to making up batches of bread dough and freezing it?

The machines work. Heck I know folks who use emm all the time to make breads of all kinds and they love em.

However, the problems are all too real when it comes to types of yeast and yes, the temperature of the yeast before adding and of course when to add ingrediants into the batch.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/08 17:39:49 (permalink)
Btdt,
Yes that was kinda the plan on dough. We have tons of sauce ( just picked another box of tomatoes) that we will be utilizing throughout the year. Pizzas, stromboli and garbage bread as well as the regular pasta and chicken.
While I know fresh is always best but we always used to buy in bulk = meats & veggies from the ugly super store then freeze things. I couldn't believe our homegrown foods couldn't be nothing but better then a supermarket that imports most of its goods from gosh knows were.
These last few years we have been changing our foods intake. I support all local growers and raised livestock as to the supplement to what we can't provide. I also ask questions as to growing methods for pesticides, antibiotics and gmo. I try to avoid.
Well the big blow is coming and my crap is blowing away. Gotta RUN.
There's no place like home

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/09 17:36:51 (permalink)
About to get real again this weekend. Tons of projects happening which include building a tiki bar, moving chickens outside and cooking up batch 2 of tomato sauce.
I just picked this box now along with the other 2 during the week.
Given last week's sauce, I'm expecting 25 quarts on this run. We will be very close to last year total of 50 quarts and I fully expect 2 more runs before season end.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/10 12:23:14 (permalink)
15-20 quarts of goodness simmering.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/10 21:02:56 (permalink)
18 quarts.
Chickens went outside in pen. See how they fare tomorrow.
Some little building progress but daylight wanes.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/10 21:20:13 (permalink)
Looks good, I am a little behind growing wise here as out tomatoes are just starting. It was not a good year for zuks ad squash . Just getting my first ears of corn and putting some beans up. I am also behind because I spent 2 weeks in Ireland and no I did not go fishing LOL. My elbow surgery is set for 9/3

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.Β  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/10 21:26:05 (permalink)
Also my peppers are non existent this year, I guess too much rain lol

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.Β  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/11 11:27:12 (permalink)
Ireland ! Good for you and hope is was a fantastic trip. After our France and Canada out of the country adventures, I prefer the good ole one here.
Surgery in early September, ouch ! That's gonna take a bite out of your fall.
Rest up and heal well, ice season isn't far away.

So my garden has been rocking. We haven't had the wetness and pains like last year, just enough that my self watering is limited and the natural short showers are about 2 a week. Almost perfect summer, especially now the nights are cooler and humidity is dropped. Give me days like today all summer and I might grow to liking them.
We pick, jalapeno, chili peppers daily, bells about 1 a week. Picking cukes are producing about 2 a day and getting ready to explode. Regular cukes are about another 2 weeks as I started them later.
My zucchini all the sudden went south. No idea what happened but out of 12 plants, they all croaked at once.
Cabbage and cauliflower are still doing well . Romaine lettuce picked regular, second batch of spinach is growing well as are the daily herbs.
Something decided to start munching on my second batch of green beans which were just starting to produce.

Chickens survived their first night out. Temperatures dropped to low 50's last night so I went out about 9pm and put the heat lamp in as they were huddled in a ball. All survived and happy today.
Life is good in the garden and farm
This is on my entrance door to our house.
So real

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/13 19:20:07 (permalink)
Alright, enough of the horseradish.
Since Sunday, a box a day of tomatoes. Chile peppers I pick a few a day and save as long as possible until I actually get to make chili and salsa. We been throwing a few in the sauce along with jalapenos.
Pickle cukes are gaining ground , beans are daily but almost ready to explode into canning mode. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries all either frozen or jam. The fresh local corn has also been frozen. My peaches are canned and I don't see a resurgence on them. Pretty close to applesauce season now.
Herbs of course on the dehydrator daily.
The one thing we are lacking right now is pork. I have plenty chicken and beef but we miss pork.
Speaking of horseradish, mine never re developed.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/13 19:51:35 (permalink)
Well I made some sauerkraut today. Something got into the cabbage and ate 2 heads so the final 4 went in a bucket.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/13 20:10:42 (permalink)
I've been very soft on picking cabbage. Its ready by my wife doesn't like kraut so its only been harvested for slaw so far. I'm figuring it will be fine in the ground until fall then we will utilize it more with the ham.

This is our canning intake so far not counting frozen fruits , zucchini and corn.
My goal by end of September is 4 times the amount not including applesauce.
Everything in these jars has come from our garden or free foraging of berries except vinegar and sugar.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/14 18:45:30 (permalink)
So after tending to the livestock, I decided to cann some bread and butter pickles. It's my second run of these and tonight I got 12 pints giving me a total of 24 so far. They are really starting to come strong so I think the next 24 will be dill.
In between the processing I picked more tomatoes. They are also coming strong and I have 4 full boxes ready to process along with another 2 more boxes on the vine by Friday . This will be the biggest run when we process to sauce Sunday. I haven't done any salsa yet so that will be the next batch.

Time is getting far to short. I don't like summer but I miss the daylight it brings.
August right into second weekend of September is shot for me. I'm doing a cub scout camping trip this weekend. The goal is to earn some fishing and hiking badges.
The following weekend is a big 3 day campout party at my house with live bands and labor day weekend I'm at deer camp .

I'm really sorry to the folks I had hoped to hang out with on the great lake adventures but the time just slips away. My boat has not moved or unpacked from stripers may 18th. Maybe next year if I'm still kicking or there are still any fish in that lake.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/14 19:51:19 (permalink)
There are fish in the lake and they are starting to run the river,DSR reports that they are seeing and CATCHING a few every day.In a week or so I have to sort thru my SR gear and tie a few flys for the coming season.Sept 27th will be here before I know it
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/14 20:09:10 (permalink)
pafisher
There are fish in the lake and they are starting to run the river,DSR reports that they are seeing and CATCHING a few every day.In a week or so I have to sort thru my SR gear and tie a few flys for the coming season.Sept 27th will be here before I know it

I'm excited for you Jack. Last week of September is very busy for me as I didn't meet or do a single trip to Ontario in 2018.
I just need to this year. Even if I sit on the banks waiting to net your fish ..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/17 19:17:26 (permalink)
Just finished last  of beans, broccoli and zucchini. tomatoes should be good next week but are starting.  Making a batch of salsa tonight. Corn is in full swing. Onions are looking good as I pulled a few for the salsa. No peppers though. Winter squash seems to be looking good too. Should have lots of taters. My garlic was small but plentiful.  we did round bales this year and if it works out we will switch over next year. Need to check on my Kraut to see if it is souring

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/18 20:34:44 (permalink)
20 jars of salsa, had to go to the Amish for my peppers LOL. Finished up beans today, we are freezing them instead of canning. I also got a new food vacuum sealer and the bag maker option is the cats azz. Corn is GREAT this year. Turkeys got into my pumpkins and I am mad. Gonna have early thanksgiving.  Got a new floor on the wood wagon ad split about 8 cords of wood this weekend. I need to go back to work and rest up. Gotta get my stuff done before surgery. Good news is I should have a month or so  where I need to "strengthen " my elbow and it will happen to be prime time for sharks.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/18 20:42:00 (permalink)
Nice Clint. We just finished the the sauce. 4 8 qt pots. In fridge and into jars Tuesday. Everything except onions which I don't grow are in there.
Hope you get lots exercise on that elbow after surgery.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/18 21:34:39 (permalink)
I'm hungry...... Clint, did you say "kraut"? πŸ€—

Also, what's with your peppers? 20 qts of salsa to the Amish, that just ain't right. lol

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/18 21:57:27 (permalink)
Nah , I canned 20 jars , but had to purchase my peppers from the Amish. Bad grammar LOL. Don't know with the peppers, plants did ok, but no fruit. I am thinking too much rain and cool weather.   I cracked open the Kraut and she is startin to smell a bit. It seems there is not enough liquid though. Everything is damp in there, but there is not liquid even if I press down. Fist time jitters making it.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/18 23:05:20 (permalink)
Haa ha I hear ya on the grammar or maybe it's my hearing.

I'm wondering if ya might need a little calcium in your soil. Try some gypsum around your pepper plants.

DO NOT worry about the liquid or lack of, with your kraut.

Next time add some bottle water (or boil some and let it cool before using) while making your kraut. Careful as you add the water after mixing the cabbage and salt. Pour the extra liquid down the side of your container as not to wash salt off the cabbage.

If you can smell the fermentation you are on your way. πŸ‘ Congratulations.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/18 23:09:40

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/19 20:22:34 (permalink)
Sorry for graphics but 3 little pigs off to the butcher, 3rd one is on tractor hook when I took picture Next time I see them will be in my smokehouse and freezer. They be finished by Wednesday or Thursday.
Um. Bacon.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/08/20 20:06:01 (permalink)
Running out of daylight.
I totally put 120 lbs lime in the area the pigs were. Picked 30 more pickle cucumbers , another round of beans , tomatoes and 4 heads cabbage.
I been canning sauce. The biggest run so far. I'm bagging it soon after 18 quarts and 2 more full sauce pans to go.
We are far surpassed last season with 59 done , more in the waiting.
Its very, very busy right now on the garden and farm end.

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 56
Jump to: