Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
  • Reward points: 0
2019/06/24 17:18:58 (permalink)

Fish Carcass Disposal

Came to visit last weekend to work on camp and fished for walleye on Sunday. While there I noticed that you are no longer allowed to throw fish cleaning trash in the dumpster at Walnut.

Anyone know another place public is allowed to dump guts and carcass?

BTW, 3 limits in 4 hours. Water and weather was as perfect as anyone could ask for.

(Please forgive me for posting this in 2 sections. The other should be deleted)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/11 10:55:55 (permalink)
In NYS it has been illegal to dump fish or fish parts within 100 feet of the water's edge for quite some time.  You put the fillets in a bag and keep them on ice, right?  Collect the "fish waste" and put it in its own bag in the same cooler, then put it in your trash when you get home.  Or bury it in the garden, Native American fertilizer.  Have not had any problems with the ECO's with this technique, and I don't pay 5 bux a fish to have someone else clean it either.   Of course, I am rarely dealing with 3 limits in 4 hours!
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/11 11:10:31 (permalink)
Lucky,
Years back when we went to NY there were official "mulch" locations that would accept the trash.  Not sure if they still exist.

In Erie PA it was very convenient to have dumpster for public use.  Now taking trash home is extra work...that's all.

In a couple weeks we will be dong a bigger trip, 2 boats and probably 8 fishermen for 3 days.  Potential for a lot as trash to haul home. :)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/16 10:01:00 (permalink)
We came up from a spot on the Salmon River back in the days of "mulch piles " (I live here in NY and never saw one), to find 2 PA anglers cleaning their salmon to go in the 150 + gallon cooler they had on a shelf on the front of their camper.  We had both become ill on arrival at 4:30 am because the stench of decaying fish was so thick.  When these guys finished with a fillet pair, the rest of the remains were thrown in the bushes.  When we said something to them about the neighbors and the stench and they by then swarming yellow jackets, they replied that they didn't care, they were headed back to PA that day. I commented that they had better find another place to access the river, because that spot would for sure be posted after the mess and stench created.  Sure enough, the following year, the spot was rocked off, no parking no trespassing, and a year or so after that Douglaston, and pay tp play fish cleaning stations.  I worked with people from the NYS Conservation Council to get the fish littering bill passed, lots of non fishers were up in arms about discarded salmon guts, or in the spring, whole suckers thrown around with no consideration for those who live nearby, and lots of possible access loss issues.  Since that time most all municipal parks have adopted a "you carry in you carry out" policy, and no trash cans are provided.  Once in a while a mess gets created by a real pig, but for the most part upstate New Yorkers are realizing that they are responsible for their own trash, fish related or otherwise. 
post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/07/16 10:02:33
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/16 10:03:35 (permalink)
350Z&Steelheads
Lucky
In a couple weeks we will be dong a bigger trip, 2 boats and probably 8 fishermen for 3 days.  Potential for a lot as trash to haul home. :)

Buy a bigger cooler!
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/16 11:03:34 (permalink)
yup...bigger cooler and more trash bags.

I do find that bagging the remains and then putting into a cooler works out to be a lot cleaner.  At least holds down the smell longer.

bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/17 16:16:23 (permalink)
I fully believe in taking your trash home with you if there is no safe place to place it . but in order to difuse landowner hassles why cant the fish commission have a dumpster at walnut ?
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/13 08:26:16 (permalink)
Do you want to live down wind of that dumpster when it gets emptied once a week and it is over 90ยฐ? ( just hypothetical, but a pile of dead fish smell just as bad when they are in the dumpster as when they are just thrown in the bushes.)  If you are causing "landowner hassles" by placing your trash somewhere near where you are fishing, maybe you are part of the reason for all the new posted signs on LE tribs.
bassackwards
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 04:22:26 (permalink)
"Do you want to live down wind of that dumpster when it gets emptied once a week and it is over 90ยฐ?"

lol......that is funny. The answer is NO. 

I had the privilege of staying at Four C's Marina in Point Breeze in a small cabin next to a dumpster. I know first hand how bad it smells in July! People were not supposed to dump remains in the dumpster, but I watched dozens of trucks drive up and toss them in. The dumpster sat right on the road. We complained, and a lovely woman named Louis called to get the dumpster dumped, and they moved it further into the facility. They ended up locking their dumpster.  

Fact is, no one wants to deal with your fish remains. Hell, they can't keep the grass mowed in the parks, let alone cater to other peoples trash. Take in, take out. The price of your fishing license doesn't fund the state to be on garbage duty.   

I remember when everyone on Lake Ontario either ground the fish remains at the "public grinder", or drove the remains back in the lake to dump. We used to fish all day, come back to the cabin and fillet them, then load back in the boat and drive to 500 FOW and throw them out. Even the charter captains did this (that is where I learned to do it). There is a reason they finally made it illegal. I would not go into the grinders because people are slobs. No one hosed down the grinder afterward, and most left trash. The grinder houses smelled like a bus full of hookers. 

I fillet, put the guts in a garbage bag, and toss it in the deep-freezer until trash day. Trash day comes, I put it in the can. For one, the garbage man doe not have to smell it, I don't have to smell it, my garbage cans don't smell like it. My wife didn't like it at first, but once she realized how clean was, she prefers I do it that way. 

I tried the fertilizer route....the cats loved it, and we still had to smell it.  
holly107
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 07:55:09 (permalink)
a few campgrounds have freezers put on the grounds i heard at one time a guy not sure who comes and empty them for a mink farm business I think I was told he supplied the freezer. but I know its a great idea.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 09:14:43 (permalink)
bassackwards
"Do you want to live down wind of that dumpster when it gets emptied once a week and it is over 90ยฐ?"

lol......that is funny. The answer is NO. 

I had the privilege of staying at Four C's Marina in Point Breeze in a small cabin next to a dumpster. I know first hand how bad it smells in July! People were not supposed to dump remains in the dumpster, but I watched dozens of trucks drive up and toss them in. The dumpster sat right on the road. We complained, and a lovely woman named Louis called to get the dumpster dumped, and they moved it further into the facility. They ended up locking their dumpster.  

Fact is, no one wants to deal with your fish remains. Hell, they can't keep the grass mowed in the parks, let alone cater to other peoples trash. Take in, take out. The price of your fishing license doesn't fund the state to be on garbage duty.   

I remember when everyone on Lake Ontario either ground the fish remains at the "public grinder", or drove the remains back in the lake to dump. We used to fish all day, come back to the cabin and fillet them, then load back in the boat and drive to 500 FOW and throw them out. Even the charter captains did this (that is where I learned to do it). There is a reason they finally made it illegal. I would not go into the grinders because people are slobs. No one hosed down the grinder afterward, and most left trash. The grinder houses smelled like a bus full of hookers. 

I fillet, put the guts in a garbage bag, and toss it in the deep-freezer until trash day. Trash day comes, I put it in the can. For one, the garbage man doe not have to smell it, I don't have to smell it, my garbage cans don't smell like it. My wife didn't like it at first, but once she realized how clean was, she prefers I do it that way. 

I tried the fertilizer route....the cats loved it, and we still had to smell it.  

Great comments!  But , just asking, how do you know what "a bus full of hookers" smells Like!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 11:07:17 (permalink)
Lucky, must a been catfish in the dumpster........ ๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™ˆ but I'll just take his word for it. ๐Ÿ˜›

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 11:13:55 (permalink)
ROFLMAO!!!!
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 12:21:09 (permalink)
holly107
a few campgrounds have freezers put on the grounds i heard at one time a guy not sure who comes and empty them for a mink farm business I think I was told he supplied the freezer. but I know its a great idea.

Presque Isle Passage RV park near Erie has one of those freezers. They take the remains to the mink farm to feed minks.

bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 12:28:33 (permalink)

Great comments!  But , just asking, how do you know what "a bus full of hookers" smells Like!

I, unfortunately, went on a bus party to Woodstock 99.  I learned a lot during the trip. For one, they make a shampoo that kills all kinds of critters one may encounter on a "party bus". I still have a half bottle left.....I should probably schedule another trip. No reason to waste it. 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 12:50:45 (permalink)
I'm having a hard time trying to Kwel my laughter!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 13:37:40 (permalink)
SHAMPOO........ what the hell happen to kerosene๐Ÿค”??? ooops telling my age here.๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/14 22:07:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2019/08/16 08:41:20
Years ago I stayed on Georgian Bay in Canada months at a time I lived with a commercial fishing family. We dumped the guts either on a small island for the sea gulls, or up  an inlet that was about 8' deep with gravel bottom and had a fair amount of currant. Well after several years of the scraps in that channel it was swarming with Smallmouth bass. The crawfish must have exploded in there and hence the Bass. When you hooked a Smally they were barfing Crayfish. Well a local fishing camp found our spot and for a few years there were two three boats anchored in there all day having a ball. We stopped dumping the fish parts and with the pressure on the fish it isn't worth fishing anymore. You would not be leave how good the fishing was when we had it to ourselves.
   Returning the fish to the resource has its advantages. Just not in places that nature has trouble taking advantage of the bounty. Of course present laws do not allow such stewardship. I guess the carp at Pymy are the exception.
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/15 05:02:36 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
SHAMPOO........ what the hell happen to kerosene๐Ÿค”??? ooops telling my age here.๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Wow, kerosene. That may give your age away, but young or old......we have learned the same lessons!
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/15 05:24:07 (permalink)
treesparrow
Years ago I stayed on Georgian Bay in Canada months at a time I lived with a commercial fishing family. We dumped the guts either on a small island for the sea gulls, or up  an inlet that was about 8' deep with gravel bottom and had a fair amount of currant. Well after several years of the scraps in that channel it was swarming with Smallmouth bass. The crawfish must have exploded in there and hence the Bass. When you hooked a Smally they were barfing Crayfish. Well a local fishing camp found our spot and for a few years there were two three boats anchored in there all day having a ball. We stopped dumping the fish parts and with the pressure on the fish it isn't worth fishing anymore. You would not be leave how good the fishing was when we had it to ourselves.
   Returning the fish to the resource has its advantages. Just not in places that nature has trouble taking advantage of the bounty. Of course present laws do not allow such stewardship. I guess the carp at Pymy are the exception.

Yep, most of Canada seems to work that way. When I was up in Vermillion Bay on a fly-in, we tossed guts onto a rock on the lake and the eagles had them demolished in seconds. Even if we tossed some in the lake, the local wildlife took care of them quickly. However, we were in very sparsely populated areas. 

I didn't see a problem on Ontario with heading out to 500 or even 600 foot of water and dumping them. I am sure that was the practice for a lot of years. The volume of fishermen has changed as these great lakes develop into world-class fisheries. The problem is when you give people an inch, they take a mile. The state has to look at it as a black and white law, if you discard something in the lake, it is littering. Common sense laws just don't work anymore in my opinion.

Lake Erie is a different beast. With the number of guys out catching fish, the volume of guts and carcasses would be way overwhelming. I am not sure the lake needs additional nutrients at this point? If you are up visiting with a boat and rent a slip, most all the marinas have fish cleaning station where you can fillet and dispose. If you need a motel, The Green Roof Inn offers a fish cleaning station.

Fact is, they removed the dumpster at Walnut, not because of the smell or cost, it is because people are slobs and do not respect the privileges the state is trying to offer. We complain when we can't have "something", but we ruin it once we get it.

My .02   
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/15 07:52:14 (permalink)
I think it is "a few ruin it for everyone." 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/15 08:19:49 (permalink)
Good read fellas. Perhaps the dumping of fish carcass, back into the waters, was stopped for reasons similar to the thoughts of bassackwards, regarding the dumpster at Walnut.

I'm guessing anglers throwing the remains of thier catch into the lake near or along shore lines only to have, the carcasses wash back.

Wouldn't be a pretty sight on the beach, in the marinas, or public boat launches.

Not good for business, great big gobs of greasy grimy fish guts; mutilated fish meat, hairy pickled piggy feet is what we don't want for lunch today. ๐Ÿค” hmm, probably an age thing but where, have I heard that before?๐Ÿ™„

Anyways, you mean, there actually is something simple like a shampoo? Who knew???

It's been fun, thanks for the giggles.

Good times & tight lines.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/08/15 08:27:28

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 06:04:18 (permalink)
And I forgot my spoon!  Old age strikes all of us eventually!

In NYS you have to be 100 feet away from shore.  So you could bury the guts 100 feet back in the woods on your property or public land (unless there is another ordinance of which I am unaware, but no, that could never happen in the Emperor's Empire State!) or more than 100 feet off shore.

We always clean brook trout immediately, put them in a plastic bag, and add them to the soft sided cooler we use for adult beverages and worm preservation when we pond fish in the Adirondacks.  We got to our favorite pond the first week this year, and as I was worried about the rangers giving us a hard time, I kept the guts in a separate bag for later disposal.  The resident snapping turtle showed up a little while after I cleaned the first fish, and then sat about 5 feet offshore giving us the evil eye because he wasn't finding anything to eat!  When we went back the following week, I threw the guts in the pond for the turtle, who showed up that day before we even put the boats in the pond.  My friend asked me what I would tell the Rangers.  I replied " The law says 'except for immediate consumption', so I'll tell them I ate the guts right away to be incompliance with the law."  He threw the insides from a fish a few feet offshore, and said the snapper was chawing them down before he got done rinsing out the cavity.
I am sure that enforcement of this regulation in remote areas with low pressure is overkill in the law, but I've seen (with my nose) really disgusting scenes along the Great Lakes and in the Finger Lakes before the regulation was enacted. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 09:44:20 (permalink)
Lucky I think ya nailed it..... no law against using parts of fish for bait fish is there?

Just tell the Ranger, due to "old timers" ya forgot to stick it on a hook & line.

๐Ÿ™„I gotta go....

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 10:51:10 (permalink)
This is why all fishing should be done in SALTWATER.  Endless critters to deal with those carcasses no matter where you are.  And the critters you feed are useful and most of the time tasty in their own right.  

Dead fish + dumpsters = bad times.  
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 11:24:48 (permalink)
Actually, it is not legal to use fish or parts of fish for bait in most  Adirondack Ponds.  "Use of fish dead or alive" is how they phrase it.

I'll try to remember to bring my saltshaker next time I go fishing, Sam!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 11:47:47 (permalink)
Lucky13
Actually, it is not legal to use fish or parts of fish for bait in most ย Adirondack Ponds. ย "Use of fish dead or alive" is how they phrase it.
ย 

Alllllllll nuts.๐Ÿ˜ž

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 13:23:23 (permalink)
You can bring the walleye scraps to me I been fertilizing food plot with them...lots of happy critters in the swamp this summer...WCW
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 14:09:00 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Lucky13
Actually, it is not legal to use fish or parts of fish for bait in most  Adirondack Ponds.  "Use of fish dead or alive" is how they phrase it.

Alllllllll nuts.๐Ÿ˜ž

I think you can use nuts as long as they don't come from a fish!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/08/16 20:02:35 (permalink)
๐Ÿ˜ณ Stop that!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: