Stripers 2019

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/08 12:13:42 (permalink)
BeenThere,  my own recipe.  Unfortunately I don't cook with a written recipe, all by sight and taste.  I used striped bass fillets because I thought the meat was firm enough to stand up to the cooking process.  I also made the striper francaise style, very tasty.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/09 09:04:05 (permalink)
The fish just keep coming over the rail almost nonstop now. Sizes are increasing as well.
My crew canceled today so no fishing for me. Actually it's all good because I'm beat and could use the break to catch up on home chores.
Three day marathon coming up and back to business tomorrow.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/09 09:22:43 (permalink)
You got it going for sure! Congrats on the great fishing and glad to see the smiles and happy times being had. I know boating/fishing can be a hard taskmaster sometimes but these are the results that make all of the sweat equity investment worth every bit of it!
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/09 09:47:47 (permalink)
Ya man you got it dialed in. Great fish, awesome pics. Thanks for the share.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/09 12:04:56 (permalink)
troutbum21
BeenThere,  my own recipe.  Unfortunately I don't cook with a written recipe, all by sight and taste.  I used striped bass fillets because I thought the meat was firm enough to stand up to the cooking process.  I also made the striper francaise style, very tasty.

Afraid that might be the case... dam my luck. lol

I can get a recipe from the I'net but I am not liking the idea of wasting good fish in a recipe that is untried and unproven. Lord knows, I can burn a pot of water. 😳

Chunky fish would stand up to cooking in chowder much better, for sure. I thought maybe dropping smaller fillets in, at the last minute. Gonna give it a try but first, I gotta get the smaller fillets. Dam my luck or maybe, find a campground near HT and wish for an invite or donation or sumpthin. Hello HT... Ole buddy, Ole friend.😏😄😄

But first, gotta close on my new adobe, in my new little piece of Penn's Woods, this coming Monday. Yayyy for me!!🍻🍻🍻

Great pics HT. Congrats on the catching.🍺

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/09 12:38:17 (permalink)
Btdt, your a road warrior, get in that giddy up and get down here !

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9659
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/09 22:25:11 (permalink)
Good stuff Tuna. If I lived in your area, I think that I know when all of my vacation time would be used

We have a person in Albany that gets all the work out that way. That looks like a blast. Keep at it. Your arms are like lizard tails. They will grow back if they fall off from too many big fish! It has to be from catching too many big fish of course.

I got two from the surf suds at IBSP in NJ yesterday. Far from 50, but still a blast. One in the 30” range.

BTDT. Congrats on the new house!
post edited by Porktown - 2019/05/09 22:26:19
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/10 00:03:26 (permalink)
Appreciate it, it's been a long haul and still a ways to go before we can kick back and toss out the "Welcome Mat". But we're getting there and the welcome mat will be out.... 10-4? 😊

HT I can't make no promises for this year but if all goes well, next spring we plan working our way up the eastern seaboard, before heading back to PA.

I think it would be great to wet a line with ya but my main interest will be learning where a grandpa that runs a gentleman's farm and still holds a full time job, finds all that energy???

Geez neighbor after reading your post and viewing your pictures, "my" arms feel like their gonna fall off. lol
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/05/10 00:10:49

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/10 12:50:21 (permalink)
Up at 4am to take care of animals. Hit water at 6. Man its brutal conditions. Fighting wind and Whitecaps. Cant buy a fish today. I got a friend from pulaski in route to spend some time here this weekend.
If the weather don't start to play nice later, we might spend some time in the man cave with a bunch of good buddies and just start over tomorrow.

I'm around 70 stripers so far since Sunday.
A friend at my marina who charters here and Ontario is in triple digits but he is deploying many more rods and been out everyday for 2 weeks now.
It will get better but my time is going to get shorter.

Gotta run , I got a RUN !!

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/13 21:19:40 (permalink)
Man Rich glad your killing them. My tennis elbow is so bad my MD banned me from casting and with the rain I have not gone this spring at all. I need to practice with my other hand loll
p.s. I need surgery on the elbow and will be getting it the summer
post edited by Clint S - 2019/05/13 21:21:19

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/14 07:28:02 (permalink)
My second year without Steel fishing- missing it, and my favorite stream in the world too ( Clint ya know it)
Having  a place up there needing chore visits  had its definite positives-MORE FISHING opportunities.
Feeling like a part time pos outa stater more than ever.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/14 07:52:46 (permalink)
I've been up the last two weeks.  It has been slow, especially with the high water.  First trip, I got one hen 31", she was dogged out from spawning and fought very little before turning on her side and coming in easy for the release.  There were still a lot of males up in Ellis and above on the first trip two weeks ago.  Last week, with the water down, I walked about 2 miles of middle river, around Sportsman's.  I saw a few fish, but they were not holding, just cruising downstream with the flow. 

My second day, I opted to walk little streams up on the hill to check on brook trout recovery from the drought a few summers ago.  I caught fish , mostly ~4" long, largest was 6 1/2."   Considering that the same stretch of brook produced nothing two years ago and nothing fished first with flies and then with worms last year, the dozen I shook back in are a positive sign that the populations are gradually recovering.  Pre-drought , this stretch of stream routinely produced ~50 fish in a couple of hours, with a couple that would push 10".  I was finally driven out of the woods by the huge swarms of black flies.  While they were not biting (much) yet, they are a nuisance, getting behind the glasses lenses and up the nose, in the mouth, and along the hat line.  they were out in Altmar, too, but not in clouds like on the hill.  

Intended to return to the big portion of the river on Friday, but when I got up at 6 AM, the air contained nearly as much water as the river.  There was no one out up river (one trailer between Pineville and Altmar), and the guys staying at the motel with me had their guide cancel on them as he said it would just be a boat ride.  Word from town was there were still a few fish coming down, and they were silvering up, but I think the biggest part of the run dropped out on the high water, or the Black Hole and the Long Bridge are packed.  So you didn't miss a lot this year, based on what I saw.

I also checked some of the skinny water way up at the limits of steelhead upstream migration ability, and where I had encountered fish a few weeks ago (the day after the SOR meeting) up in the skinny water, it was empty this trip.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/14 09:18:39 (permalink)
Those 'way back' days of walking upriver and watching numbers of Steel are pretty much over.
Might hope for a replay but those days had few fishermen too and it aint likely those numbers would last today.
Couple of Skinny waters I liked (even was known to just walk them now and again w/o a rod- just for the show)
are now crowded with 'fishermen'.
IMHO the biggest reason for down numbers is fishermen taking breed stock.
Wish it was a 'no keep' fishery - might even stop snaggers from even showing up.
Back when the 'crickets' became illegal lots never came back.
Heck- haven't kept one of anything in a couple of decades.
Just as much fun too.
Hey-- almost 40 years back when I started  up on the SR was just as bad as those I now crab about- times change--enlightenment.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/05/14 09:25:32
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/14 10:09:32 (permalink)
Closure of Trout, John O'Hara, and Orwell came up at the SOR meeting.  Dan Bishop (Region 7 Fisheries Manager) said that they think that these tributaries are at capacity for natural reproduction, so elimination of the amount of harvest going on would be insignificant in terms of increased trout production.  All three brooks contain significant stretches of posted land (on Trout, the biggest stretch of PFR water is heavily posted on both sides of the creek, I am told you just tell the landowners to bugger off when they hassle you, as the easements are permanent) and a lot of what is public does not show up  on the SR maps because it is so far upstream, and requires a fair bit of woods walking to access.  The only time I encountered other fishers on the little cricks this spring was when the river was up at 2000+, and even then it was only at Tubbs Road ( I suspect one of your "happy spots" some really beautiful water in there, I know why the locals were upset when the salmon displaced the brook trout up there), and no one had any fish that day. We don't fish up there a lot, but we drive through almost every day we are up there using "alternate" routes between Centerville and Altmar.

I have been alone for at least part of the last couple of trips, and I chose to walk longer stretches studying the water for future reference, or for brook trout fishing later in the season on the small tribs, while also checking out deer sign on the State Forest lands.  I saw a lot of redds in the river last week when the water was down, but the fish were gone.  I saw surprisingly few redds in the small creeks, but I was WAY upstream for a lot of that hiking. 
post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/05/14 10:16:43
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/14 10:22:11 (permalink)
Before I get keel hauled for spot burning, I will mention that all the spots I mentioned by name are clearly delineated on the Public Fishing Access Map series for the Salmon River on the DEC website, these are not "secret spots." As for the spots that I didn't mention by name…
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/17 20:03:07 (permalink)
Well ok here is the striper update. The fish and bait have disappeared. Haven't caught anything in over a week and half. Charter either who is fishing every day. He canceled 3 days in past 10 due to weather.
For me the boat comes out tomorrow or Sunday after fishing.
It was a strange season. Cold, smoking hot then cold.
Time to move on . I'll be in the woods at deer camp next weekend so time to cut a rug.

Weather blows big time. My yard is knee deep in grass, weeds and water.
When it rains every other day on clay, it dont dry but stays mud.

As for steelhead chatter. Sucks , especially for someone who wants to fish but is injured . That's the only reason I bought a spey rod , when I was injured. Never used it again.
If I had ambition for steelhead I'd be fishing them.
I just don't so it is what it is..
Next adventure, summertime blues

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/18 07:49:49 (permalink)
IF the Gargantuan Muddy were as close to me as it is to you, I would likely never fish for Spring rainbows.  And if I had a boat I'd be out in 20-40 feet of water filling the box with kings, they are having a field day at least from Rochester west again this spring.  Some limits on that now for the trailer set as many of the launches have closed due to the HIGH water.

Some years the Finger Lakes rainbows wait until right around opening day to start running and we can fish for them into late may, other years they run in February, spawn in March and on April 1 there are only a few spawned out fish left with a few stragglers through April.  Anadromous fish are funny that way.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/18 17:13:19 (permalink)
Season is over for me. We caught lots of bait today, no linesiders.
Boat is on dry land now till who knows when.
You really can't trade steelhead for stripers as these fish arrived last week of April and shut down last week pretty much.
It's a 3-4 week window.
It's also a tough gig for me on steelhead anymore because I exit the woods, onto the ice and into the boat.
After 40 years of Chrome, I'm content doing my local thing now because being outdoors never stops.

Gotta try and cut my hayfield, weed chocked lawn

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/19 12:15:20 (permalink)
I was sitting in my lawn and I swear it grew a inch in two hours.At least we're getting some sun to dry it so I can mow it AGAIN!The only fishing around here is for stockies and that don't race my motor that much anymore.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/19 14:38:03 (permalink)
1 of 2 favorites from my season

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/19 17:00:46 (permalink)
That is a nice one Rich.I never caught a Striper,they do run the Delaware River but it is hit and miss and I never really tried for them.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/19 18:58:35 (permalink)
My favorite striper picture of all I've taken. Not necessarily the biggest fish but the best of times.
On my birthday 4-30-16.
Grandson hammered them with 17 on board
He still fishes with me to the day.

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/21 13:30:12 (permalink)
Great picture Rich,I don't think your Grandson will get tired of it with that smile glowng on his face.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/22 08:45:09 (permalink)
"PRICELESS" Tuna.👍

As for 'the biggest fish'....... as they say in the Ole country, it ain't necessarily the size of the fish in a fight but the size of the fight, in the fish.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/22 08:45:27 (permalink)
😣 Ditto post...
. stupid ditto post 😡
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/05/22 08:49:03

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: