• Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2019/05/17 17:05:49 (permalink)

7 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: PERCH 2019/05/17 20:14:06 (permalink)
    Haven't seen much change in the last 3 years.....I only fish the bay not the lake though.....
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: PERCH 2019/05/18 08:18:10 (permalink)
    I see all the netters still get their quotas every year ....strange ? Something smells fishy to me ! 
    Maybe lower quotas needed temporary to increase the numbers for sport fishing .
    Remember $$$$$$ talks !
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: PERCH 2019/05/18 14:38:20 (permalink)
    Good read...WCW
    Trader Jack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: PERCH 2019/05/22 07:34:03 (permalink)
    Sounds like the perch diets have changed and many fishermen have given up and gone for the easy walleye catching, particularly the perch party boats in Erie and Conneaut.
    Good info . . .

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: PERCH 2019/08/02 12:19:10 (permalink)
    read PCQueen's head boat out of Conneaut,Ohio you will see the numbers decline on the annual fishing reports, ? on the diet they are scarce now,and the netters just keep on netting during the spawn yeeeehawwwww 
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: PERCH 2019/08/12 07:15:58 (permalink)
    We did fairly decent on Perch Sunday. Didn't anchor, just drifted......dragging sabki rigs. 

I am all for blaming commercial fishing, but I really don't think that is the driving factor. It certainly does not help. The forage base in the lake is changing, mostly because of fo the walleye boom (my opinion). I think the walleye have put a hurting on the last couple year classes of perch. Most of what we got on Sunday were well over 12-14 inches. 

Back when you used to have the "perch pack", I think it worked like a dinner bell for the perch. It made the school up becasue of the abundance of bait people had down. The days of 100+ boats in a circle are long gone. It is more like an interstate these days. Everyone is trolling (or casting). 

My advise if you want to try the perch fishing.....keep a bait in the water at all times. Once the bait is gone from the bottom, the fish move and move quick. 

My thoughts are they will school up in late September or October. That is the trend of the last couple of years. Once the walleye migration is reversing and heading west, they will school up and hunt the bait. 

Couple things I notice.

1) Most of the perch I cut open had no minnows in their bellies. Most of them did have fragments of zebra mussels or were completely empty. 
    2) The big schools are not there. However, they seem spread out and still in pretty predictable areas. 
    3) They don't seem to be chasing bait. As it is, the huge balls of bait are non-existent. We used to see bait balls 10 foot thick, now you are lucky to see the bait balls at all. 
    4) They don't seem to be around other game fish like sheepshead, walleye, white bass or even white perch. If you were catching other game fish, you weren't catching perch. 
    5) Lack of emerald shiners. Even the bait shops rarely have them in stock. It is all rosy reds and some other type. 
    6) The traditional perch grounds are filled with Walleye now. People still try to sit in 55 FOW and perch fish. This isn't productive. You have 500 boats trolling every direction pulling lures and making noise. Move into 30 FOW, or out to 70 FOW and you will find a steady pick. You have to get away from the traffic.

My .02.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: PERCH 2019/08/12 10:08:53 (permalink)
    I agree bassackwards especially on your last point I have marked perch this year but shallow and on the edge of where walleye groups were caught a couple by accident...WCW
    Jump to: