Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2019/04/04 18:38:54 (permalink)

Stripers 2019

While it may seem small to some, this was a huge accomplishment here in mud city.
Still lots of work yet to be done, at least I'm moving in right direction.
The mighty muddy is in fantastic condition right now. No ice chunks , debris and tribs are not blown out.
I know there is still melt coming from above but these temperatures are making it a nice slow melt.
A few things affect the migration
All of which are spawning runs
1. Bait = herring
We typically use tax day as the appearance in my trib . I believe its temperature related as also the out of season small mouth bass get very active .
2. temperatures and clarity. While the river is still very chilly, it's not ice riddled or chocolate milk affecting the warming trend.
3. The great wid ocean.
I track the striper migration online.
Its pretty accurate as to size and location.
Right now the big fish are still in Chesapeake bay area and schoolies are just hitting NJ and NY.

Honestly, baring any drastic rains ( the muddy takes several days to rest to clarity) I think this year is going to be a very good one again.
Sadly I also believe we see a ton of fish out of the keep slot of 18-28" and few over 40"
I still can't figure out the harvest the young future theroy.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/04/04 18:41:42

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

54 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/08 11:18:01 (permalink)
    April 5 striper migration report shows them entering the Hudson.
    Not here in CT---yet according to that, but some local shops around the Housatonic reporting some schoolies.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2019/04/08 11:24:02
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/08 19:28:10 (permalink)
    There are fish being caught locally. Over 100 miles up from the Atlantic.
    Its starting as conditions are perfect river wise right now.
    I know charters that are starting their season in 2 weeks.
    Typically, I'd already be out .
    Boat is starting to come together. Few minor issues mechanical and it needs a good scrub inside and out.
    Goes to the shop Sunday for a new shift cable and should be water ready next week.

Thank gosh the daylight is much longer. Now I can go, go go 14 hrs a day.. geesh, I need a relaxed non project or working vacation.
    Ice fishing seemed so much easier, lol.

Side note:
    I joined this site 15 years ago . In my time here it's the first I've not fished the SR, my last visit was March 2018 . It's also the first in 40 years.
    I have probably missed some fantastic fishing. I feel there is nothing left to give.
    If these posts bore folks who visit a SR forum for that purpose then I can stop and refrain. Thanks
    Peace and tuna

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/08 20:18:50 (permalink)
    The hens are starting to move upriver HT.  Some big girls have been caught up around Bear Mountain this weekend.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/08 23:40:09 (permalink)
    HT I always enjoy reading of your exploits on the water and on the banks... not bored at all! I can sympathize with the frustrations you have gone through with the boat,  and have loved the pictures of your younger generation getting in on the fun.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/09 08:08:14 (permalink)
    What Fisherlady sayed. 👍

If we waited only for reports of catching, there would be little to no forum.

Besides, in my book, fishin is more about good times makin good conversation with good friends and tight lines.... usually mean I'm snagged. 😭
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/04/09 08:10:38

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/09 10:39:48 (permalink)
    Know how ya feel Rich.
    Never got to go for Steel this year or for a second time during last Falls King season either.
    After having a place up there in the recent past, and fishing a lot year round,  its disappointing.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/10 11:13:01 (permalink)
    You may NOT leave this forum Rich,if you do it will die and we don't want that,we enjoy the story and the pictures.By the way,I'm booked at Cannons 9/27 thru 10/5.Hope you can make it then so we can tell some fish stories while we battle the Kings,Coho,and trout!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/10 18:41:44 (permalink)
    Good to hear Jack. Thanks. I just didn't want to bore people that might think it's a blog ( which I do) instead of a fishing forum.
    I had no interest in leaving, just stopping my useless posts.
    Your dedication to the river helps, I should just bite the bullet and come spend a week with folks like you there.

Farm/garden. :
    Chores just got finished. Yea I have chores again after work. Chicks all survived the day here and look good. Pigs are simple and happy.
    Really have to put my cabbage in the ground. 75 Garlic I planted last October looks awesome.

Stripers:
    No new news but I'm seeing many vehicles with boats or gear in there vehicles.
    Its gonna get busy on Saturday with expected temperatures of 70.
    I am cleaning up the boat. She ain't pretty but looks like it will fish.
    Might move my splashdown date up to the 20th.

Be well

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/11 07:27:18 (permalink)
    r3g3
    Know how ya feel Rich.
    Never got to go for Steel this year or for a second time during last Falls King season either.
    After having a place up there in the recent past, and fishing a lot year round,  its disappointing.

C'mon, you didn't fish all that much, you were too busy mowing the pasture, raking the leaves and getting plowed out!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/11 10:54:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reminder of the household and yard chores lol.
    Those I don't miss.
    Those had their own rewards but the year round FISHING memories are still GREAT.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/22 18:46:51 (permalink)
    She's afloat in the mighty muddy. Right next to the big grey boat as always
    Bait is very prevalent and we all know what that means.
    First actual fish starts Wednesday for me.

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/22 20:40:31 (permalink)
    Looks like the mighty muddy is living up to its nickname at the moment. Good luck on your opener!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/23 09:03:56 (permalink)
    Slow going for smallies in the year round section for me. Did get some 'eyes near  a lock. Murky and cold she be. As for the lower spectrum of the slot limit, many of the fish handled by the hordes of slack jawed mouth breather bait fishermen are going to die anyway; might as well make them count as keepers.  Larger fish are actually tougher, and certainly not as susceptible to being hooked deep, circle hooks notwithstanding. This is bore out by the studies I receive from biologists I've fished with, so I'll take their word.  My S-J-M-B comment was not directed at bait fishermen in general (especially on the Hudson, where it's almost a MUST DO), it is more directed at many of the yahoos I know that chase them from Vt. and my area. Not a one survives some of that crowd.  Best of luck out there, I'm sure it'll be a good season- numbers look very promising.
         Though I'm tempted to throw my yak in down in Saugerties  or fish the Esopus flats, I think I'll wait another week and a half and go down to Narrangansett and the breachways. I'm booked in my favorite campgrounds  on the Merrimack and Cape Ann for later in May and June.  Last year was spotty fishing for me.  Taking care of my  hospice- at -home Mom at night and  spending all summer getting a damaged house and a farm back together from the tornado we had in early May made fishing so far off the list of priorities  it just didn't happen.  Hopefully, this year is different. I've already caught large numbers of big rainbows and some browns, both out West on the San Juan and Animas in NM and Colorado, and here at home from the float tube in lakes.  Can't wait for the first stripers ,though.  Got herring?
    Bet you do.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/23 19:25:42 (permalink)
    I do have fish in a barrel and linesiders on the dock. 4 were caught today. 18.5, 27, 28.5 and one mid 30 . One legal was kept that would have, could have easily been released. Mid 30 was gut hooked but cut and not touched released, stupid regulation. Circle hooks make no difference and actually worse.
    If a regulation of no bait was in place that would crush the fishing on this river for the 99% in favor of 1%.
    There is a better way and no matter what marine reports say, a very good population of stripers. They are just going about things wrong and making it ridiculous to actually " go fishing "
    Believe me , that big grey boat confiscates plenty for us to fillet without leaving the dock and from "regular people "
    post edited by hot tuna - 2019/04/23 19:27:19

Attachment(s)

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/24 06:25:04 (permalink)
    Off to a good start!  Deep circle hooks are beyond impossible. I tried some on big flies and the fish that  got hooked deep required an emergency room and a board certified surgeon.  I threw them out.   I'd rather see the regs  that were once in place in some NE states - 1 at 36"+.  The only thing that  holds the regs in place is the fact that the young-of-the-year survey has been good. Let a few years where that drops and they'll try another tack. Those fish have to go out and populate Joisey and Lawn Guyland waters  and generate revenues for another 6  months.   Do you keep a locked barrel of herring at the dock?   
       I'm sure you'll be into 30's as in pounds, soon. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/24 07:51:59 (permalink)
    Yes we and many others keep a " pen " tied to the docks. Right next to the big grey ( dec) boat.

I think they are missing the mark on the slot regs . Many and I mean MANY, 18-28" fish are being kept which otherwise might be let go instead. MANY, again many, 28-39" fish are being mishandled and released to float with the tide.
    I'd much prefer as I've said before, give people X number of tags. When tags are filled, no more fishing , period !
    This allows a mortality wounded fish to be kept and a non injured fish to be released.

Word on the street is, they may shut the fishing down altogether in 2020. The shut it down in VA this year

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/25 06:53:33 (permalink)
    As far as my readings go, the Hudson is considered to be doing better than the Chesapeake. It may have something to do with water quality, it may be the stocks themselves. Some Chessie stock travels all the way to Nova Scotia. Hudson fish tend to  not travel past Montauk. None of the scale samples taken in the area around the North Shore of Ma. have shown them to be Hudson fish. I seriously doubt they'd close the season in the Hudson unless there was a drastic change. Herring would have to completely collapse, or the breeding population fall  well below sustainability levels.
       I don't know about the Hudson, but when I was a little brat growing up in Joisey, stripers were unicorns. Blues, mackerel, flounder were good, linesiders not there. I assume the Hudson didn't have a breeding pop. then, as Chessie fish mix with their northern cousins off of  Bruce Springsteen land.  I hope for the best for all of us.  
        I looked at my property in New Mexico while I was on vacation, and I realized I'd fly the other way to the coast on vacations if we ever moved.  It'd be  extremely difficult to see stripers disappear again.  Fight the good fight.  Stripers forever!
        Good luck to everyone, seeya when the salmon start to trickle in.
    post edited by fichy - 2019/04/25 07:34:31
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/25 11:07:35 (permalink)
    The Salmon will start to trickle in in August,I will be there end of Sept.,see you then Charlie...at my "secret" spot of course!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/04/27 16:56:19 (permalink)
    Braved the cold wind and rain.
    Got a few.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/05 17:13:53 (permalink)
    Grandson is the magic bait.
    A year ago today we put 5 on board. Today we did 8 with a triple and a double.
    Its fishy out there.

Attachment(s)

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/06 09:04:31 (permalink)
    Great job HT.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/06 20:17:48 (permalink)
    2 weeks left and I'll actually look forward to a vacation.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/06 20:19:43 (permalink)
    Yes

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/06 23:53:56 (permalink)
    Wayyyyy to go HT and super pictures too. Thanks for sharing.

Readin yinz striper post reminded me I plum forgot I had some striper in the freezer. Not caught by me of course (like that could ever happen lol) but caught by my daughter while fishing in Texas.

She didn't forget about dear old dad and made sure I got a few fillets during our stop over in Norman Oklahoma this past winter.

So today being a gorgeous day in NW PA., we set up the induction hotplate and cast iron skillet outside the MobileMancave aaaaand the fish went swimming.😏

The only problem, having forgot the fish was in the freezer, I didn't stock up a few cans of tomatoes for stewing.

Shucks, but as they say in the old country "All is well that ends well" and thank goodness for Mac & Cheese Dinner. 😁

NOOOOO, I didn't save some either. 😄
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/05/06 23:57:38

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/07 08:38:54 (permalink)
    Stop that you two. Now I’ll have to pull some striper out of the freezer (also not caught by me but a friend that had a great weekend last summer on the Potomac).

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/07 08:41:58 (permalink)
    Enjoy DarDys and may I recommend a side dish of stewed tomatoes.

If needed, recipes available on the 'net.

🍻🍻🍻

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/07 11:41:37 (permalink)
    I made a chowder with striped bass a few summers back.  

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/07 15:25:46 (permalink)
    Fishing is on fire and we've put over 50 on the deck in last 5 days. I got fish fungus on my fingers and my arms are sore.
    Big fish are coming hard and strong.
    For me here out is just about smiles from others.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stripers 2019 2019/05/07 23:24:30 (permalink)
    Stop it ya big tease......😄😄😄

Good for you Hot Tuna. I'm enjoying your adventures and the truth be known, a bit envious.... but just a little, mind ya.😏

Troutbum that chowder looked absolutely delicious.🍺

Family recipe or one I can find on the net and I'm wondering if panfish fillets would work?
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/05/07 23:25:38

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: