Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 56
Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/21 07:30:13 (permalink)
It use to infuriate me to see some idiots that made small fortunes with their plantations. I imagine there'll still be a black market, but the opportunity to make  big money hindering kid's lives will diminish. It's been a scoff law for a long time. At least there's less red tape in Vt. for medical use. NY is ridiculous. I tried to get some for a neighbor with stage 4 cancer that could no longer eat. I had to get a friend in Utah cross the border to send some from Colorado. It saved her life. It's strange how people perceive you as a narc if you try to buy some and they know you don't use it yourself.  You find out who your friends are.  I also have a close friend using it for his severe PTSD and TBI he sustained in Iraq. The VA won't pay for it.  It helps with his anxiety and sleep issues.  Since many will now grow for themselves in Vt.,  you may see tips  in this thread about weed propagation show up.  Someday, the corn choppers in my area will only be the ones on the ground, and not the infrared equipped DEA ones in the air.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/21 07:51:55 (permalink)
When our emperor finally makes up his mind to stop filling jails for  "the pursuit of happiness", here in NYS we will invariably be over taxed on it, and so the black market will persist.  I seriously doubt if logical things like legalizing home cultivation will be included because the revenue machine will not get fed by that.  I know a couple of home distillers who turn out some outrageously good booze, too, but they are very tight lipped, and do not sell, so that ATF doesn't come to pay a visit, and one of these days the Feds may get back in the "grass prison" game, too. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/21 07:56:13 (permalink)
Massachusetts has been state law legal since 2016, just not public sale until yesterday. I believe VT is in that stage right now as well, no sale
Since that was the case , the black market prices have dropped ,quality and availability increased.
Where do you think the street level guys are getting it from ?
Now that Massachusetts has public sale, they , the state stores, are gouging the price for recreational big time so time will tell.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/21 16:38:32 (permalink)

From me and mine to you and yours

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/21 20:56:32 (permalink)
You as well BTDT.
Feed bag going on big time with family and friends tomorrow and beyond.
Peace and tuna.

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/23 15:46:34 (permalink)
Our new calf is a heifer and doing well. It was the first one for this cow and she is being a good momma. Have 4 more to come in over the winter. If 2 make it I will be happy. Getting rid of 3 in a month and the pig. It sucks but now we have to throw manure out the window every 2 days or so. Not looking forward to that ritual in the least.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/12/19 00:54:41 (permalink)
Well four weeks have since passed and so now the time has come.

It's Kraut time......

Here's where we last left off.....

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

and now here's where we continue. Remove the water from the plastic bag by scooping it out. Not a good idea pouring the water out. Remember there will be juice from the kraut fermenting plus I added a bit of water to create extra juice and yinz dont want to dump that down the drain. Also not a good idea to pull the bag from the bucket while filled with water cause ya dont want the bag to break and flood your bucket of kraut. That would be enough to cause a grown man to cry.

Annnnnnd...... wait for it, wawaitfor it.

Yummy..

Can't remember if I mentioned cutting the cabbage "hearts" into quarters and tossing them into the mix. Well here's why... now ya got sumthin to munch on while yer baggin your kraut so pick out a chunk and start knawing. Keep that your little secrete though. Could be some serious arm wrestling for that last chunk.

I did two average sized heads of cabbage and ended up with about 4.5 pounds of finished Kraut. Likely would had been five counting the hearts that mysteriously disappeared but let's just keep that our little secrete.

Now all that's left is singing "Auld Lang Syne"

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/12/19 00:57:12

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/12/19 18:06:06 (permalink)
We sent 4 bulls on vacation today, they will come back in a much better mood.........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/12/19 22:22:35 (permalink)
Clint S
We sent 4 bulls on vacation today, they will come back in a much better mood.........

as in tastier but much smaller packages..... I assume???

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2018/12/21 12:25:58 (permalink)
Dopy year-
Least deer sightings in a LONG time-rainy damp and winds most of the season-zero mast crop- passing flatheads waiting for HIM to show-fat chance lol.
Now its over 60 degrees and raining like crazy.
Have over 300 Iris in the beds all trimmed back for winter and they are GROWING already.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/12/23 15:18:23 (permalink)
The chickens have finally started lying again. 4 to 7 eggs a day from 10 in the past week. I upped their protein intake for the winter too.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/09 18:16:15 (permalink)
I'm going for 50 tomato plants, 24 cabbage, 24, cauliflower, 24 head lettuce and 24 mixed peppers all started indoors now.
75 chickens arriving on 4/9 hogs 2 weeks later and the rest begins form there outdoors

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/17 19:15:10 (permalink)
Last 15 lbs of slab curing in a medicated goo. It will sit for 5 days then hit smokehouse Friday or Saturday. Gotta cure with the nasty pink salt imo or its just not bacon.
I left 3 lbs raw and its really stir fry stuff, not greasy bacon and eggs..
Things are ramping up now as pig stall was moved with help of ATV, chick brooding station is set and boat got 1 step closer to water.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/17 20:19:47 (permalink)
My chickens are eating their eggs and once they start its tough to stop them. Today I made roll away nesting boxes so when they lay the egg rolls down a ramp and into a bin under them as soon as they get up . This is the last try before total eradication and turn over of the flock occurs.  

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/21 18:00:20 (permalink)
My yearly thinking and pillage has begun from free stuff again.
Latest score was a crate to house 50 chicks then utilize it for another planter.
Today was 2 barrels that had horticulture vinegar in them.
My pig water system sucked last year and I'm looking on suggestions for improvement.
My thought is a spickit on bottom leading to a flapper float control trough ( pan ).
Anything reccomend would be great.
There will be a big push this weekend on finalizing the incoming livestock

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/22 18:33:51 (permalink)
I found anything at floor level get rooted up soon know if a float ould survive.  Maybe those little nipples that flow when pushed????.  Sap flwed good last toe days, but not today. Got enough to un the weekend for a few gallons

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/23 11:46:07 (permalink)
I tried the nipple last year and they wouldn't use it at all. Ended up just doing daily water trough which became a mess.
I just bought 2 auto water troughs yesterday that have a float. I'm going to solidly secure them and pipe to the barrels located on outside of pen.

Since it's crappy outside, I fired up the smokehouse.
Some slab bacon on racks , lake trout on the hooks and seafood stuffed venison back strap will go in later.
Not much else I can do outside today.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/30 20:01:49 (permalink)
Not that anyone cares, I did give a coworker my fly box to fish the secret SR spot next week. I'm jealous.
Here is all struggle using manual labor. Boat is still stuck, truck made it out alive.
I'm pretty set for the livestock coming this week. Made a cold frame for cabbage and cauliflower, in there now .I'm doing a few more tomorrow. Took a lot of work but I'm satisfied.
I really need some farm equipment. To old for this
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/03/30 20:06:37

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/30 20:03:01 (permalink)
More

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/31 16:12:43 (permalink)
Yikes! That's a lot of mud bog to deal with.... Looks like you are good to go with the critters and garden head start though.  Hope it dries out for you soon!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/03/31 19:24:02 (permalink)
It only got worse today.
At least I filled 3 rain barrels.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/01 21:23:28 (permalink)
Yea muddy here too , hut not horrible. Getting a pig and some chicks this weekend. No time for fishing, but maybe Sunday. I managed 2.5 gallons of Maple Syrup this year. Learned a few things on the way. LOL.  I really want bees nd have to get going on them
post edited by Clint S - 2019/04/01 21:27:40

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/02 18:23:06 (permalink)
Clint I hear the no time thing and this non stop wetness is really hurting me as everything here is all manual labor. Sometimes, I'm wishing I was fishing instead.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on starting anything other than tomatoes indoors without having a real greenhouse.
The 20 degrees weather we got last night took out 3/4 of my cabbage and cauliflower in the cold frame last night.
So that leaves me with the indoor tomatoes and peppers which are doing ok but not great. My son has a full scale indoor greenhouse and his tomatoes already have blossoms.
I've been bringing pickup loads of stone everyday for a week trying to stabilize some of the mud and driveway potholes, it seems like I'm just playing the fool shoveling init on and off my truck every day.
Pigs come Saturday, chicken pen gets built Sunday.

Tomorrow is the big push to try again to pull the boat out of the mud. I'm stopping at sawmill and buying a bunch of boards to try and drive on across the yard to boat.
Their repurposing will be garden beds if they survive.

Environmental news:
Ash borers are devastating all the ash trees in my county. I have 5 good size trees I need to take down before they cause damage. Anywhere I drive, all I see is distressed ash trees. They may become extinct in next 20 years

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/03 09:01:54 (permalink)
We've been dealing with the borers for about 5 years around here, replanting hardier species along trout streams to try to reestablish the canopy.  Along Oatka Creek, one year I could find only a couple of borer holes in the ash, the next year there were deads all over the place and no canopy to keep the stream cool.  We've helped plant about 5000 trees out there in the last few years, with NYSDEC getting the trees.  Once the borers get going they work VERY fast.  Thank the Chinese, and ourselves for demanding cheap goods shipped on contaminated skids.  Bioterrorism!  Please note on the maps that all the early infestations were along the interstates, certainly NOT spread by campers moving a few chunks of firewood, this was international commerce at fault, but I guess the forestry biologists had to do something to make them feel like they were doing something.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/03 21:05:57 (permalink)
L-13 your absolutely right. We have sea going vessels that pump ballast water into the Hudson and I unload tons of overseas wooden crates where I work daily.
Spain and Germany seem to make the best crates for garden boxes, Chinese crates suck.
Without a doubt, I found a wasp , still alive in 1 swear is a killer bee. At very least it's an invasive.

My country lifted the ash transport quarantine last year because it's a lost cause and now they want infested areas eradicated by harvest

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/09 18:20:51 (permalink)
Thanks for the support folks and putting a smile on my face about what's real.

Shoot is really hitting the fan now.
Pigs , chickens, garden , boat and fishing.
14 hrs a day just isn't enough. I need 24/7, lol. Hopefully the grandkids will take some responsibility in what its all about I'm trying to teach.
Peace and tuna
I'll sleep when I'm dead...

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/09 20:40:10 (permalink)
My pigs and chicks are here too. My next big project will be a broader box to keep the chick in as no they sty I the basement for a few weeks. Cheap cheep cheap all night lol

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/09 20:52:04 (permalink)
This is my brooder box. It's a giant plastic crate. We have tons at work they trash.
There IS 50 chicks on there now with plenty room.
I'm loosing my mind as I'm considering egg layers also because TCS is practically giving them away.
All that really means to me is more work.
I guess the rewards are a happy family

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/09 21:38:09 (permalink)
We raise all of our chicks with broody hens. Our crazy girls raise chicks year round so always new pullets coming into lay and young roosters ready to be butchered and pressure canned. Usually do a half dozen or so at a time, only takes a short while now that we have the routine down.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/11 07:21:48 (permalink)
Clint S
My pigs and chicks are here too. My next big project will be a broader box to keep the chick in as no they sty I the basement for a few weeks. Cheap cheep cheap all night lol

I'm sorry Clint, but I am laughing out loud at the mental picture with soundtrack!  Sorry you have to put up with it, but the image is hilarious!  Cheep, cheep, cheep …….
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 56
Jump to: