Helpful ReplyWalleye stocking facts in Western Pa.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/18 15:41:52 (permalink)
 I'm in the same boat as you, All I seem to catch is Pike, Panfish, Bass, Turtles, Catfish, Chubs, Carp, Drum, Bowfin, Native Brookies everything they don't stock  Walleye on the lower Allegh. river where they are not stocked. I'm fine with that. I'd not stock for some yrs. 'cept Trout & Byrds where needed for baitfish control, other states supply them for us anyways. Start putting all that $$ into habitat for natural reproduction.

crappy

$40 for 2 year boat registration, isn't all that much.  The key to not making it a huge expense, is not owning 20 boats!!!

Tim, we only have 15 at this time & a few ain't  got new stickers so there!!
post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/02/18 16:53:27
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/18 20:24:04 (permalink)
anzomcik
EMitch
BTW, my youngest got suckered in on the "voluntary Musky stamp". 

Help me out, your complaining about lack of stocking and acknowledging bigger fish cost more to grow, but then say your youngest got suckered into the voluntary musky stamp, which goes right to the musky stocking program.

From just what I read it seems your youngest has done more to help the “issue” than you, and you say he got suckered?

• I'll tell ya why I think he got suckered, as I am in total agreement with BTDT about the "fishy" smell. Both of my boys belong to 3 Rivers Musky Club, and in October of '17, they were responsible for stocking pool #4 at Freeport, (our home port), with 1400 muskies from the Fish Commission. I'm not a member, but I helped out with loading the boat twice, and provided some of the containers and aerators to help get the job done. You really couldn't call them fingerlings 'cause they were all 10 + inches long; some I saw were about 13-14 inches long. So, what's the problem? For one thing, you're stocking them in the fall and and the weedgrowth and cover is gone. Little or no cover makes them easy prey for muskies, northern pike and bigger walleyes.When I asked the driver (commission biologist) what he thought the survival rate would be, he told me only about 1%. . And that's stocking fish of a size big enough to eat each other. The Musky Club, (so I'm told), donated a large round tank to raise musky fry in, as the belief is that those fish swimming constantly in a circle against the pressure of the pumps grow stronger, faster, and more hearty than fry raised in retangular tank. The Commission is most likely wasting the money.
  • I'm now a senior, with a lifetime license, and I bought the trout stamp, (and the Erie stamp), even though I haven't fished for stocked trout on inland waters for 35 years. Haven't even been to Erie in the past 4 years, but every year that we went up, we bought a button from 3 C U. Why, because we believed then, (and now), that that club does more for steelhead fishin' than the commission does.
  • I also subscribe to Pennsylvania Angler& Boater, and for the end of '17, when they published their income and expenditures, fully69% of the $111 million went to administrative costs. In other words, wages, salaries, and benefits for commission personnel, plus additional expenses for vehicles and fuel.
  • I don't know where we'll all be goin' with this in the future; most likely extra money stamps for predator species, and probably not for bottom feeders. PGC charges kids 12 to 16 for a "junior" license. PFBC probably could do the same for a junior fishin' license. A lot of guys fish for trout and head off to camp with their kids, especially for the opener, and since Dad fishes, he's most likely gonna spring for a license for the kid. It would increase revenue somewhat. But how much would ya be willing to stand for a general license increase. Our resident license fee is approaching a full year fish for any species Non-resident New York license. Maybe just give up on Pa. and fish N.Y.?

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/18 20:51:58 (permalink)
Chris,
I have 3. 1 has sticker and the other two just sit behind my shed... Never know when I might want to use again!
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/18 23:50:43 (permalink)
EMitch

• I'll tell ya why I think he got suckered, as I am in total agreement with BTDT about the "fishy" smell. Both of my boys belong to 3 Rivers Musky Club, and in October of '17, they were responsible for stocking pool #4 at Freeport, (our home port), with 1400 muskies from the Fish Commission. I'm not a member, but I helped out with loading the boat twice, and provided some of the containers and aerators to help get the job done. You really couldn't call them fingerlings 'cause they were all 10 + inches long; some I saw were about 13-14 inches long. So, what's the problem? For one thing, you're stocking them in the fall and and the weedgrowth and cover is gone. Little or no cover makes them easy prey for muskies, northern pike and bigger walleyes.When I asked the driver (commission biologist) what he thought the survival rate would be, he told me only about 1%. . And that's stocking fish of a size big enough to eat each other. The Musky Club, (so I'm told), donated a large round tank to raise musky fry in, as the belief is that those fish swimming constantly in a circle against the pressure of the pumps grow stronger, faster, and more hearty than fry raised in retangular tank. The Commission is most likely wasting the money.

Thank you for lending a hand in 2017. You may be interested to know since your last involvement with musky stocking the PAFC has changed their musky stocking program.

They are now stocking waters every other year. With half the fish as they previously stocked which was ball parked at a fish an acre. Now it’s 1 fish per 2 acre, every other year.

Instead of fall stocking they switched to spring stocking, to address the concerns some of which you mentioned. They are holding the fish to yearlings. Where they are a solid 12-14” fish.

All the pure musky are raised in the linesville hatchery, as opposed to a handful of other smaller local hatcheries. Making the process more efficient.

Pa has developed a way to “teach” (lack of better word) the baby musky to eat dry pellet food. This reduces the feeding cost to raise these fish to be yearlings.

When asked the survival rate of the new system they spoke with confidence that most will make it the first year in the wild, no numbers were assigned. But great improvements have been made in the past year or so survival rate will be significantly higher

I also asked about what it takes to stock the state with musky the round answer is about $200k for 30,000 give or take fish a year under the new program.

There is a lot more information on this as I talked to Jared Sayers the manager of the linesville hatchery couple weeks ago for a couple hours. He has been a part of the musky stocking program since 2007, if anyone is interested I can send them a link. In there he discusses the voluntary musky permits.

I applaud the effort of your two boys being members of three rivers, and the purchase of the voluntary musky permit.

With the advancements pa has made to the musky stocking, I hope some of the techniques and technology could trickle down to other species to improve stocking success.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/19 01:08:06 (permalink)
crappiefisher
 Just like the lottery. Our seniors should be living the high life now. Would be good but too many handsss in the cookie jar I  believe.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!

20 boats,  GOOD Grief  so your the guy, fishin Pymie, with one boat on each foot???

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/19 12:04:14 (permalink)
Good Musky info ....thanks .....are they still stocking Tiger Musky ? I've heard rumors it has been discontinued .  
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/19 12:56:21 (permalink)
anzomcik
EMitch

Thank you for lending a hand in 2017. You may be interested to know since your last involvement with musky stocking the PAFC has changed their musky stocking program.

They are now stocking waters every other year. With half the fish as they previously stocked which was ball parked at a fish an acre. Now it’s 1 fish per 2 acre, every other year.

Instead of fall stocking they switched to spring stocking, to address the concerns some of which you mentioned. They are holding the fish to yearlings. Where they are a solid 12-14” fish.

All the pure musky are raised in the linesville hatchery, as opposed to a handful of other smaller local hatcheries. Making the process more efficient.

Pa has developed a way to “teach” (lack of better word) the baby musky to eat dry pellet food. This reduces the feeding cost to raise these fish to be yearlings.

When asked the survival rate of the new system they spoke with confidence that most will make it the first year in the wild, no numbers were assigned. But great improvements have been made in the past year or so survival rate will be significantly higher

I also asked about what it takes to stock the state with musky the round answer is about $200k for 30,000 give or take fish a year under the new program.

There is a lot more information on this as I talked to Jared Sayers the manager of the linesville hatchery couple weeks ago for a couple hours. He has been a part of the musky stocking program since 2007, if anyone is interested I can send them a link. In there he discusses the voluntary musky permits.

I applaud the effort of your two boys being members of three rivers, and the purchase of the voluntary musky permit.

With the advancements pa has made to the musky stocking, I hope some of the techniques and technology could trickle down to other species to improve stocking success.
  • I very much enjoyed the podcast of yours with Mr. Sayers.  very informative.  He seems genuinely interested in seeing this program succeed.  I see nothing about the voluntary program as "being roped" into anything.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/19 14:08:56 (permalink)
    Might "figure of speech" mean anything?

Perhaps the man should have said his son "took the bait, hook line and sinker". ☺

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 10:24:04 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
     I'm in the same boat as you, All I seem to catch is Pike, Panfish, Bass, Turtles, Catfish, Chubs, Carp, Drum, Bowfin, Native Brookies everything they don't stock  

I checked out the stocking for Arthur.  It is encouraging that so many fish that aren't stocked are rather readily available.  They haven't stocked channel cats since 2013, so hopefully they are finding good natural reproduction from them.  Since then, only stocking musky, hybrids and walleye.  It would be great if those three species were self sustaining too, but is what it is.  If they were taken off of the stocking list, I wouldn't be too hurt.  I love me some hybrid fishing, but the late nights get harder and harder to recover from.  I hate catching them in the summer, after knowing their low survival rate if C&R.  I don't like keeping too many of them, since they get HAMmRd\\ by those net throwers  and not all that many stocked.  Not to mention primarily stocked to control the gizzard shad and alewives.

The amount of large mouth in that lake is pretty awesome to think that they haven't stocked any in at least the last 20 years.  Same with the pan fish.  Although, I had a horrible perch season in the fall.  Hopefully just the weather, and not a trend with the lake or my skills declining!  

I would not complain if a jumbo perch stocking truck pulled up next to me while fishing...
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 13:09:16 (permalink)
     Tim, I grew up a River Rat spending most ov my time along the Oakmont/Plum shoreline, easy walk from home. When Muddy Creek was dammed I was in a higher heaven! Grandmother had property &  old house joining a branch ov Slippery Rock Creek in Coal Town we used for getaways. The river was a blast but Arthur was different with all the panfish & Bass from day one (FOR A KID) Some days we would catch over 50 L/M up Shannon Run the first early yrs. Dang Grandmother had another house very close to M/C where it enters the lake that I never new about. My girlfriend (old Lady) & I were camping (closed) at Lake Arthur Campground on Halloween 1984 & I noticed the old hillbilly shack on the corner & made a joke about it to her. Little did I know we would be living there since that following spring.

There were a good bit ov farm ponds that became part ov the lake so helped the stocking tremendously for a head start. They stocked Pike for a couple yrs. when it was first filled but gave up the program saying it was not working (nets in wrong areas) I'm glad they gave up on the Pike because we have no problem catchin' them there. The park did set back the Pikes progress when replacing a old snowmobile bridge with a steel dam. I moaned to the rangers about it, darn thing was killing huge breeders full ov eggs trying to get around it & becoming Coon food. Thank goodness they removed it a few yrs. back. The Channels were stocked more in Arthur than any other waterway in the state since it opened in 1970.

Tim, For the Perch Truck to show up all they would have to do is bring a net full down from Erie in the truck & unload, Heck they could do the same with Eyes, Mother Nature working... too easy & cheap I guess??  Oh well if some Gobby eggs get mixed the better. 

Fishing is Fun,
     crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/02/20 14:19:44
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 14:22:53 (permalink)
    My problem is like other sport fishermen we love fighting big fish ! Stripers, Musky , Walleye, Pike , Steelhead , Salmon.  Since Steelies & Salmon are seasonal and many miles north that leaves Stripers ,Musky and Walleye  as the main local targets....all basically stocked. I'm not a pan fish fisherman so Crappie , Bluegill and so on mean nothing to me unless I'm bored or have some kids to take fishing. I love fighting fish that bend the rod and smoke the drag ....that's the thrill of fishing having a power fish on that gets your heart pumping......lol

Love eating the Perch and Walleye but the rod benders rule !   
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 14:38:26 (permalink)
     Capt. you should give Flatheads a try if rod benders you are after, Carp and Channels are not to bad either. Defiantly keep the Byrds in the mix for for baitfish control, PA don't raise them anyways. Just looking out for the future if more $$$ spent now for habitat just maybe it would help in the long run of future stockings.  Like I said to me I could care one way or the other whatever they do. 

Good Luck & hope the best for the future of rod benders.

crappy
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 15:23:09 (permalink)
    Chris - 
    That is awesome.  I should joke around with my wife about buying some property up there!  I've actually already tried it.  She likes the beach too much and I like fishing at the beach too much, to buy property near the lake.  She has some friends that have a camp near the lake.  They use it all summer, and too expensive to vacation anywhere else.

Good use of smilies too!  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 15:30:12 (permalink)
    crappiefisher

Fishing is Fun,
     crappy

psssssst Crappy, check your 'puter, I think your emoji button might be stuck. 😜

Porktown not to cause ya concern but "late nights getting harder & harder to recover from" and "declining skills" Ummm.... two signs of 'oldtimers' setting in.

Time for a vacation, me thinks. 😀
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/20 15:34:06

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 18:15:04 (permalink)
     Tim, I'm trying to get the better half to move to Pymy for the spring/summer/fall & go back to near Arthur place for the winters. She ain't going for it as ov yet. Guess I'll have nice quiet times at Pymy then. Dang kid moved up near there last yr. .

On them taking Eyes from Erie to stock inland waters, they could do it post spawn so the future would still be there & the guys crying the Eyes are eatin most ov the smolt  (baby trout) could see better returns.

crappy
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 19:01:21 (permalink)
    I think that picture they ran on Wilhelm with those huge Eyes were all from Erie transfer nets !....lol 

All those emoji's are hurting my eyes.  

Like this one Crappie .......lol

Let this hog go after a photo session .

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/20 22:06:01 (permalink)
     Nice one! Haven't fished for them in a long time. Miss those nights on the river. If the river was closer I'd get back into it. Especially the relaxing, camp fires, bull crapping & the fish betting.

My play ground growing up Plum shoreline.
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/02/20 22:17:37
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 07:03:06 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Good Musky info ....thanks .....are they still stocking Tiger Musky ? I've heard rumors it has been discontinued .  

The conversation I had with Jared didnt discuss Tigers. I did a quick search on the stocking reports for Justus (only tiger water that is sort of close to me, I know there are others in the eastern part of the state) There isnt any planned Tiger stocking for 2019 but PAFC did stock 100 yearlings in 2018. 

I cant say for certain the program will continue, but it appears to me it is continuing. So my response didn't give an answer except a definite maybe if the program continues.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 11:38:47 (permalink)
    Dang, them some dandy cat fish for sure.  Congratulations yinz guyz.

Crappy your mention of river fishing at night for cats, sure brought back some great memories.   We would take empty 3 lb coffee cans and nearly fill them with diesel fuel.  Come sunset and the bugs, we would fire those suckers off and fish the night away.

To the 'young whipper snappers', do not try this at home.  The coffee containers of today, are not fire proof.

PS.  Yinz will note there is no pics on my page......  stupid fish!!!

Good times and tight lines.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 12:03:05 (permalink)
      I used peanut cans, would coil cardboard, put in can upright & add kerosene. Made great hand warmers & for cooking cans ov soup (poke hole first) .  When the fishing got slow 2:00-- 5:00 am. I would catch Crawdads & first light would be Smallies galore.

The poison ivy was terrible in some places. Sometimes would get it so bad the blisters between fingers kept me from doing any fishing for awhile 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 13:02:08 (permalink)
    Now there's a picture worth a thousand itches. 😬

Dainty Moore beefstew or Hormel Chili and don't forget the P38.

Tater and carrots wrapped in Alcoa cooked in a bed of hot drift wood coals.

Speaking of punching holes I remember learning, some rocks don't take kindly, being warmed by the camp fire.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/21 13:05:39

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 20:26:32 (permalink)
    While we're rememberin days of old, anybody remember when......

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Taken from one them 50ish theme, roadside stops havin, "chicken in the basket".

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 20:32:54 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Speaking of punching holes I remember learning, some rocks don't take kindly, being warmed by the camp fire.

Neither do eggs.  Or cans of Raid...
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 20:34:14 (permalink)
    Wait, you said by, not in.  

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/21 21:10:28 (permalink)
    Believe it or not time .....

I got poison ivy once in the winter time (Dec) while fishing Elk creek !

Wow 5.5 gals.of gas for a buck, and they pumped it and they cleaned your windshield and handed you S&H green stamps to use toward free gifts !!!! 

Self serves gas stations suck today ! So much for modern advances .
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/22 11:58:10 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Wait, you said by, not in.  

😄😃😄😃

Ain't that the truth......

Capt the only "Greenstamps" in use today are the toll roads where they rip even more of your hard earned money from your hands.

Turnpike associations benefit big time from the "big trucks" hauling products over the highways.

They charge the trucking companies that inturn charge the mfg who charges the consumer.

BUT WAIT.... SHIPPING IS ALWAYS FREE. Yeah... right👍

PS. ask anyone working in forestry, logging, etc. if yinz can get poison ivy in the winter.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/22 12:04:40

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/22 18:15:12 (permalink)
     One ov the worst times I got the ivy was in February after skinnin' a limit ov rabbits.

Spent 1/2 the day going through fishing stuff. Found a whole bunch (300-350) new lip less crank baits. Watched a video yesterday on fishing pre-spawn Eyes & the kid was doing rather well with them. A hand full went in my Walleye bag, he won't miss them 

crappy

Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/22 18:48:54 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
     Nice one! Haven't fished for them in a long time. Miss those nights on the river. If the river was closer I'd get back into it. Especially the relaxing, camp fires, bull crapping & the fish betting.

My play ground growing up Plum shoreline.

Nice hawg Chris, aka baitrunner

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/22 20:25:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Dan, remember old  "baitrunner" do ya?? ....

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Walleye stocking facts in Western Pa. 2019/02/22 20:52:15 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
    Thanks Dan, remember old  "baitrunner" do ya?? ....

Crappiefisher.... where did you get the original picture there from?  I would swear that is our old starcraft....
    Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
    Jump to: