Gear review

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
Erie Mako
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 443
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Gear review 2018/11/13 14:05:44 (permalink)
I believe that Kaplan & Co. in Waterford, Pa is a Kitchen Aide repair center.
You may want to call them to confirm before wandering in to get something fixed.

I've had no problem finding factory parts for Kitchen Aide stuff...
 https://www.ereplacementparts.com/kitchenaid-mixer-parts-c-114958_114959.html

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Gear review 2018/11/13 15:57:21 (permalink)
My grinder is not kitchen aid. It's cabelas, 3rd party Warning manafactur. Replacement parts not available

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Gear review 2018/11/18 07:54:05 (permalink)
Erie Mako
I believe that Kaplan & Co. in Waterford, Pa is a Kitchen Aide repair center.
You may want to call them to confirm before wandering in to get something fixed.

I've had no problem finding factory parts for Kitchen Aide stuff...
 https://www.ereplacementparts.com/kitchenaid-mixer-parts-c-114958_114959.html

I've talked to a number of Kitchen Aide Repair Centers, and none handle "smalls" like the mixer.  But I'll try again, and I'll give the website a shot, too.  Thanks.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/12/02 19:04:29 (permalink)
Shappell fx100 flip over. ( USA)
Highly recommended for a single , solo.
I know there are some good deals @ $235. To the door. It's a great light weight spacious shanty.

AVOID the new Fx100i ( insulated) at all costs !! Eagle claw took over production and it seems the sweat shop workers don't know how to line and drill holes or stitch fabric. Tons of issues with them.

I did a lot of Christmas shopping on fishusa today given the $15. Rebate per 85 dollar order ( make a few orders and apply to each 😉)
Grandkids are pretty set up with ice gear.

Next recommended products are a Northland lures ( available on fishusa)
The single hook forage minnow is the cats meow tipped with a fat head or small white plastic twister tail.

Happy shopping

chartist1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Gear review 2018/12/28 17:46:09 (permalink)
Added a 9 weight, 10 foot fly rod to the arsenal.  The kings will be easier to land and the steelhead on the SR are larger than what you find in Erie or Cleveland.  I can use it in Florida back country fishing as well.  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/02/21 19:25:26 (permalink)
So being in recovery mode stuck in the house I decided to try a fix my buddy Mr. Heater. It was to a point of fix or junk it .
The pilot was dim and the unit would shut off after a few minutes. I tried other things I read or watched online but nothing seemed to actually fix the problem so today was the day.
First let me say , mine is the yellow one. I've researched and found the yellow ones are a lowes only exclusive. The videos I watched about dismantling were either green or red.
I can attest, the yellow one was nothing like taking apart the others, it was a nightmare.
They put so many screws in so many hard to get places I wonder what guiness designed this thing.
Anyway,
After taking every fuel line off and blowing them out , taking the pilot nozzle off , it was debris in the nozzle that caused my issue.
Some carb cleaner and torch tip cleaners cleared the nozzle. Next was to put the puzzle back together, another not so easy feat.
At least now it got saved from the trash pile of this world and works as it should again.
My only attributes to the cause I can think were due to not using a filter on the " first generation " hose when I ran off a bbq tank. Back then they were not selling the " green " hose that wouldn't degrade and clog your nozzles.
Lessons learned.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/02/21 19:27:41

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2019/02/21 19:43:46 (permalink)
Yep, I rebuilt one a year  ago. Got it at a garage sale for 2$ said don't work good. I cleaned it to no avail. You can buy complete pilot assemblies for the heaters for $15 or so. 
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pilot-Assembly-Portable/dp/B008DBRB8W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=little+buddy+heater+parts&qid=1550796005&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Contains thermocouple, oxygen sensor and pilot . It fixed mine. Its still a little hard to light, but it works. worse case I use a lighter to light it. Yes it was a bear to take it apart
post edited by Clint S - 2019/02/21 19:45:07

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gear review 2019/02/21 20:12:57 (permalink)
Dang..... I'm plum wore out just readin yinz pages. Think I'll shy away from those heaters.

HT sorry to hear you're under the weather. Get well soon.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/02/22 11:11:26 (permalink)
You are not likely to need a little buddy where you are, just don't head north to Georgia or the Carolina's for a while, BTDT!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/02/22 14:54:21 (permalink)
Lucky13
You are not likely to need a little buddy where you are, just don't head north to Georgia or the Carolina's for a while, BTDT!

Lucky, I'll take that advice and go west for a spell.

Been a few chilly nights but nothing like back home. Didn't need a "LittleBuddy" but I did buy one them oil filled electric radiators.

Pretty sure that thing would need a long extension cord out on the ice.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/02/22 16:07:47 (permalink)
Buddy has performed flawless today. Great to be back on hardwater instead of a stiff couch.
Days are getting numbered locally. 8 " ice but its very air bubbles or what ever the term. Crack off the point creeping farther.
Aside from that, maybe I'm still under the weather or maybe just toast but looking forward to digging the Daisy out before thaw

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/02/22 17:21:29 (permalink)
Glad yinz is feeling better HT and back on the ice.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/03/24 11:21:14 (permalink)
Do not waste money on this piece of junk.
My son bought it last November when we were processing meats as a back up to the 50 year old slicer we had. We never used or opened it until yesterday.
All plastic gears, parts . The thickness gauge is a joke.
Buyer beware.

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/03/25 09:06:55 (permalink)
My wife and I used to run a corned beef and cabbage dinner for our church .  We got the meat at wholesale from a restaurant owner we knew who was right around the corner from the church, got a lot of Sunday Breakfast business from us.  Corned beef, no matter how it is cooked, can be a b**** to slice , and dulls every knife I've used faster than about anything.  The restaurant owner loaned us a Blodgett slicer she had, but rarely used.  It was amazing, cutting up a couple of hundred servings of beef with the slicer and a postal scale turned a major drudge into a pretty good time and cut an hour or so off the time, and produced a good looking product (we "eyeball" sliced the beef onto lite butcher paper, weighed on a tared plate on the scale, and added or subtracted to make uniform portions, stacked the paper/beef units in oven pans, then added the broth from the pot everything was cooked in to soak the beef and paper, and reheated in an oven).  I kept my eye out for a Blodgett for years, great heavy duty tool, until I went to an auction where one sold for over a grand and the buyer was elated that he got such a good deal.  With that experience, I always looked at that Cabella's unit with a grain of salt as it is pretty inexpensive (although certainly not cheap, I'm remembering a few hundred bux?)).
I decided these units were designed for the person doing one deer, a few fish, this and that, per year, and not for someone doing all their own food or using it frequently.  
post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/03/25 09:09:23
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/03/25 20:41:59 (permalink)
We have a commercial slicer at work that i been trying to get and has been idle since our cafeteria shut down around 2009. I don't recall the brand but when I looked up its cost , it was around $11,000.
There is a ton of industrial equipment that just sits locked in a room but I can't get my company to release, or at least offer to employees to bid on and remove.
Sadly there will come a day it will just be wasted space for a new office and get tossed into a dumpster to make room for a new computer.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/11 18:17:07 (permalink)
So on a lighter note :
I really haven't bought any new gear in awhile. My hunting and fishing equipment has been pretty solid for many years now and while I use a lot of it often, I'm in no need of upgrades.

One/2 things that I do now struggle with are good knives. I mean real knives, not the box stores shelves these days.
It seemed like when i was young you could go to a sporting shop and buy a quality Case buck or uncle buck for under a 20 spot.
Today you still can but the quality is shot.
Right now most of my hunting I'm still using my grandfather's given to me 2 blade folding Case knife. It holds an edge forever, sharpens easily and works well for gutting and skinning with different blades. A lock blade was not invented then so caution mused be used.
Any knives I've bought for fillet or cutting in about last , gosh many years suck.

2 fold.
Reccomend a good butchering set
Reccomend a good filet knife.
The standards are not working for the amount of cutting do
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/11 18:48:43

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/11 19:13:01 (permalink)
Do you have any knife makers about? You will pay, but get the quality to go with it.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/11 20:11:51 (permalink)
I do . Yes way to expensive, I can't do hundreds per. Some of my friends built their own from teaching, to time consuming and without right tools me to do myself.
If there is a really good proper set or equal combination that falls in the 500 range, that's where I'm at
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/11 20:15:15

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/11 21:13:17 (permalink)
A piece of "high carbon" flat stock plus a table top grinder, add some patients and away you go. From butt to tang, bolster and blade, all ground to shape on the grinder

Tempering is best done using a forge but can be accomplished with a torch. Best to have a good tempering chart to know when the steel reaches the precise temp to dunk it in the oil.

Important to use "high carbon steel" which most knives do not and is why most knives today... suck.

2nd rate makers today, promote "stainless steel" which requires constant sharpening because they lose their edge so easily. To boot, the stupid things are difficult to hone a keen edge.

With high carbon steel it's a few passes, now and then on a wet stone, steel, or strap.

Some food for thought, dishwashers will take the keen edge off of any highly sharpened knife when using dishwasher detergent. Dishwasher detergents often contain corrosive alkaline salts. A keen edge is very thin.

About that high carbon steel.... industrial hacksaw blades were the sought after material, back in the day.

Handles.... buck horn, of course. No rivets just A bit of epoxy is all that's needed.

It's worth the patients.

P.S. Some files, emery cloth and a buffing wheel come in handy too.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/11 21:29:28

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/12 10:16:48 (permalink)
BTDT, don't you have to be a doctor to have patients?
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Gear review 2019/12/12 11:28:02 (permalink)
HT- You can't go wrong with a good set of Zwilling J. A. Henckel knives.  Fine German steel last will last you a lifetime.  https://www.zwilling.com/us/about-us/warehouse-sale/article-warehouse-sale.html

The outlet store is at 270 Marble Ave Pleasantville NY, just off the Saw Mill River Parkway.  

post edited by troutbum21 - 2019/12/12 11:52:30
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Gear review 2019/12/12 11:33:56 (permalink)
We have used the same set of Henckel knives for 15 years. They now need a little dressing on the steel now and then.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/12 11:40:54 (permalink)
Lucky13
BTDT, don't you have to be a doctor to have patients?

Ha haaa ha..... STUPID SPELL CHECK.😂

Good call Lucky....

One time though, I lost my patience making a knife and became a patient.🤕

Thanks Lucky. ummm, is my face red. 😠 Toopid dummy me.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/12 18:08:22 (permalink)
troutbum21
HT- You can't go wrong with a good set of Zwilling J. A. Henckel knives.  Fine German steel last will last you a lifetime.  https://www.zwilling.com/us/about-us/warehouse-sale/article-warehouse-sale.html

The outlet store is at 270 Marble Ave Pleasantville NY, just off the Saw Mill River Parkway.  

That's perfect TB.. I did a bunch of net searches and wasn't pleased. Knowing this place is within distance is even better.
Thank you..

On another gear review item I've used a ton and very pleased from fichy reccomend are Joka mittens. I wear the crap out of them from plowing on ATV, shoveling snow and ice fishing.. I really prefer a mitten over glove in those conditions as my hands get to cold in gloves because of frostbite I had years ago and they are super easy on /off to perform intricate things. The grip is great, you definitely don't want to wipe a runny nose, lol.
I think they were reccomend 7 years ago and at $27.00 back then, I certainly got a return on my investment.
I am getting another pair as a backup this year.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/12 18:13:28

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/13 18:11:27 (permalink)
I will throw my 2 cents in on Twin Forks Outfitters rods. 2 broken tips and one lost section and never a question on warranty. $30 covers the repairs and shipping back . all 3 times in way less than the 2 to 3 weeks they told me.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/13 20:25:58 (permalink)
My only penny is, shouldn't have broken in first place. But yes once bitten, twice shy.
I chalk up my mishaps as my mistake and never try to use a system. In no way saying that's the case, but it's my cases.
If equipment fails more than once , that seems to me regardless of their ability to replace/fix., now it's my time.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/20 17:57:36 (permalink)
Does anyone remember this stuff ?
The pants are made by Carter in new Hampshire, the Jacket woolrich.
I can assure you these were from the 50's as it was my mother's hunting clothes and bought or bartered in a trading post.
I wore these through the 70's.
Everything is in absolute great condition. Thought about making a frame and hanging them in man cave but this Christmas I will pass this down to my grandson. .
I'm passing on generations of my items along to my kids this Christmas in hopes the reality of things that happened remain real today
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/20 17:59:14

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/20 19:54:25 (permalink)
Nifty idea HT.

Woolrich closed its remaining factory which actually was one of the first mills in what is now Woolrich Pennsylvania, just a tad over a year ago.

Woolrich, was the (first) leader in outdoor wear but now, produced entirely by others.

I wonder, will Woolrich garb, become highly sought after by collectors of garments, such as happened with "Levi" Bluejeans.

I still have a Woolrich jacket worn by my father when he hunted back in the 50s.

Wished the darn thing hadn't shrunk, hanging in closet all these years. But I use to be able to wear it. 🙃
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/20 20:08:40

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/20 20:18:48 (permalink)
Before storage, these were dry cleaned or hand washed only. Remember dry cleaners ?
To my knowledge never been in a washing machine.

I have lots of original woolrich clothes in totes . I got soft about 25 years ago and bought the disposable things.
Shame on me
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/12/20 20:19:57

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2019/12/20 20:34:29 (permalink)
HT the greatest thing about my Woolrich jacket. When I open the closet where it hangs, I brush my hand over it and see my dad standing in our kitchen, his side by side in hand, wearing his (elmer fudd) Woolrich hat, heavy duck canvas pants and his buckle golashes.

Next time ya take the young ones outdoors, let em see grandad wearin somethin Woolrich.

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to: