Snag Fest starting soon !

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 12:33:11 (permalink)
 I hate to loose a jig or worm harness! Retying ain't as easy as years past. So
me of these companies are crazy prices for lures. 
Roman Made $440 ++
Gan Craft $250
Meggabass Garuda $125
Deps Slide Swimmer mod. 250,  $179
Imakatsu $80
ABT Lures $100 ++
Repo Man pushing $150

Hate to see what Musky & deep sea cost.

BTDT,
Sold my roofing nail guns thinking those days were done. WAY wrong again!!, stone, slate & hardwood flooring is getting to my back. Did both kinds ov labor when younger & enjoyed working outside but some ov those jackhammers weighed close to me. Smashed my little toe on a stainless prob pretty bad yesterday.

Oh well nobody hardly talks fishing on here any more so sorry again for the off topic.

What areas you gonna look for a place?
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 12:34:27 (permalink)
Just respolled my fishing pole and got my jig box assested, won't be long the night walkers will be prowling around at night along the gravel bars searching for the marble eyes I can't wait this year I will catch a walleye lol
post edited by thunderpole - 2019/02/17 12:35:30

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 13:11:12 (permalink)
Crappie when the fish ain't biting there ain't a darned thing recalling memories and 'chewing some fat'. We both learned a long time ago, fishin ain't only about catching.

So with that in mind, no need to tell ya why I BS so much. ☺

We are still interested in the Tuttle and Linesville area but since have moved toward Lake Arthur. (be easier to harrass Pork) lol

Our preference is 1200 sq ft (give or take) with a lot large enough for a 28 x 28 garage plus easy access to store my mobile man cave.

For a lot, we would like to find one already setup with utilities (prefer public sewage) but will develope if the price is right.

Couple the guys on the boards have been very helpful in providing real estate for sale in their areas. Some of the places have great potential and are very tempting. I just wish I was 20 years younger so I could make any needed changes.

My thinking is, why pay somebody when I can screw the project up, myself.

Sorry to hear about your toe. I bet that's fun to be remodeling with.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/17 13:14:56

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 14:09:38 (permalink)
 Both areas are nice for old people     Capt. , That Gamma line you won did you get a chance to try it out? Son got a bunch ov it & wondering if I should spool some up? Any reviews on Gama lines? 

BTDT, If Trump don't get impeached soon PT will need a new screen name 

crappy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 14:44:28 (permalink)
Haaha, love the Gif.

As for PT, tsk tsk, no spot bur..... err, politics while fishing. lol

Three guesses what I'm doing right now and the first two don't count!!!

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

That's right, watching LeTang score..... GO PENS.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/17 14:48:55

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 17:55:57 (permalink)
Gamma line is excellent. Joe Baker and I won some in a tourney and after trying it I spooled it up on almost all my rods, really good stuff. Never thought too much into line but it is the real deal.

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/17 22:44:42 (permalink)
 Thank you Sir.   I mostly just used Trilene when using mono in the past. Never had much problems that can think off hand & reasonably priced. Tough keeping up with all the new formulas that come out. So said heck the big game series was good enough unless wanted fluorocarbon. 

I'll spool a few for Byrds & Panfish & see if I notice any improvement.
Thanks
post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/02/17 22:46:36
Jeremiah Byler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/20 16:32:53 (permalink)
I stay away from the spillway sonar snagfest, but walleyes do catch baitfish by pinning them against the bottom.  That is why when jigging a lot of them end strike on the fall and end up hooked on the underside of the mouth.  That's a legit predatory strike and a one way ticket to my belly.
Meatball
Expert Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/20 17:30:27 (permalink)
Jeremiah Byler
I stay away from the spillway sonar snagfest, but walleyes do catch baitfish by pinning them against the bottom.  That is why when jigging a lot of them end strike on the fall and end up hooked on the underside of the mouth.  That's a legit predatory strike and a one way ticket to my belly.

Any relation to sam the builder?

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/20 18:24:08 (permalink)
Crappy I tried that Gamma 6lb.line on Steelies and it seemed real nice and smooth and held up good on the ones I landed. I'll give it a 5 star right now, but I've been a Triline lo vis green user for many moons. Lets face facts most fishing around here a decent 6lb. test should hold most fish if you have a reel with a good drag. I'm not one for expensive lines but I do change line out more than most probably do......just can't beat fresh line on a spool ! After awhile seems most lines pick up some memory , plus the heat and sun weaken them. 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/20 18:34:09 (permalink)
 Good, I'll spool a couple Crappy & Eye reels up. Give me something to do tonight. My son will never know the difference lol.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/20 18:44:15 (permalink)
Jeremiah Byler

Strange that every Walleye I've caught on minnows bouncing the bottom are all hooked inside the mouth ......never a one hooked under the mouth ....and I've caught plenty.  

I've only seen one actual Walleye strike in all my years of fishing ....it chased and smacked a Rapala lure in clear river water .....and Walleye are a lot faster than most fishermen would believe when chasing bait !   
gizmos
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1190
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/20 21:05:15 (permalink)
H O N E S T Y...... In a nutshell, anyone can snag. If that's the intention, if you can imagine it, it will get tried.
Granted, pulling a weighted lure with two extremely sharp trebles , seems a very viable way to snag yourself some feeesh... But on the other hand, I've been a sonar jigging fool , at least on the rivers, where I would primarily fish winter season. Oh my goodness, there are days that even when the jig bite was hot, even anchoring med. fat heads over the side is goin....I make time in between to drop a sonar over the side. On given days I would pull the other rod as the sonars would be hot. Most fish..... On the drop. I would have to say, even giving it some, that 90% of the fish were on the drop. So do you keep a trophy fish that obviously was debatable !??? Nope.
Just saying.
:)

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/21 13:07:30 (permalink)
Like I said before sonars or blade baits have their place and time especially vertical jigging mainly on ice or in boats , not saying a few fish can't be caught from shore also. On the same subject I have seen Sonars used as the #1 snagging lure where fish numbers gather especially during spawning seasons. Ever notice that in the snaggers gear it's always the heavier and larger Sonars being used , even though they come in smaller sizes....kind of odd huh ?  
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/22 19:20:05 (permalink)

"Fair winds and following seas..."
Ugly Stik
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/22 21:18:58 (permalink)
Great photo
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/22 21:35:25 (permalink)
Don't want to steal thunder.  Saw it on FB   Just looks like they might be getting an early start.....

"Fair winds and following seas..."
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/23 12:31:19 (permalink)
opsman
Don't want to steal thunder.  Saw it on FB   Just looks like they might be getting an early start.....

Ops, that picture ask but one thing.

What's not to love about Pymatuning? (except the circus of course😬)

Thanks for posting it.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/23 14:13:50 (permalink)
That be the start .....nice Pymy sky anyway .
Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 310
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/23 14:31:18 (permalink)
Opsman, that is an awesome picture! Thanks for sharing!
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/25 14:24:57 (permalink)
Love the stories about the spillway,especially from guys that never done it. lol Do you think every walleye in the lake migrates to the spillway? Anywhere there's water movement that simulates some from of current they'll be there... I've done it but not in 8-9 years. I've snagged plenty and release all of them....but I've caught a ton with the blade bait down their throats. Most snagged fish are on the up sweep most actual hits are on the drop.... and my favorite Vib-E's are in the 1/8 oz size.  Matt keeps an eye on things there and has plenty of spies watching,I was actually thinking about a trip this year.... I'm getting tired of eating ice perch,crappie and gills. Guess what I even made a plank....lol It's not a plank but a small platform with a 2x4 on one end so you can stand on the culver level. Otherwise you'll be like a WV buck at the end of the day. One short leg and one long. If you all are against the SPAWN, better stop crappie,perch,gill fishing. We could fish from July -till February.... Like BTDT said to much revenue.....lol  Putting my ice fishing stuff away fished Tuesday last week on MIZZ 23 toad perch,2 slab crappie and 5 big pumpkin seeds. Spring just around the corner.....
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/25 14:45:48 (permalink)
Every comment I read is deja vu from previous years from everyone lol some are against it some for it some don't care. Kinda funny lol

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/25 16:00:15 (permalink)
Windy out there this morning....

post edited by crappiefisher - 2019/02/26 01:04:30
Meatball
Expert Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/25 18:01:36 (permalink)
Yum great job Chris

-- Frank Sinatra
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/25 23:54:34 (permalink)
I'm Captain Hook and I'll make you walk the plank if I see you there ! Get up to the Bay and get those Jumbo's !....lol 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/26 01:13:38 (permalink)
 Thanks Dan. Hope to get back out in a couple weeks up there. Going to try & get out for Hammer Heads 'round home 'till then.

Learning a good bit from You Tube videos the past few weeks on pre-spawn tactics. 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/26 11:26:18 (permalink)
To each their own.... if jigging weighted double treble hooked lures over spawning fish is someone's way of fishing have at it . I'll stick with the Rapalas and live minnows and stay far  away from combat chaos fishing as possible. I've caught plenty in the rivers using just those and very rarely is one snagged. I still say that area should be a single hook lure area for spawning time only, that should give both fishermen and fish a fair chance, and makes it more difficult for the lifters and snaggers. Just makes common sense to me as a Pa. sport fisherman. If they swallow it one hook will hold good enough for a fair catch.

While some fishermen are sporty and legal enough like Big T  to release snagged fish, others opt to keep any they can , anyway they can. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what goes on when observing this area and others with the techniques used. I've witnessed similar styles of jigging Sonars over spawning Steelhead years ago and luckily all were arrested that day after snagging numbers of fish. One has to wonder how many get away with this on average. No one can police 24/7 on our waters but making it somewhat harder against snaggers seems fair.  Fishing the spawn is fine with me, whether you keep or release fish, but just take away the advantage percentage to the true intentional snaggers. 

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/02/26 11:59:26 (permalink)
    I have never fished the spillway wall however have fished from canoe. I ice fish with blade baits and almost never snag an eye. Its all in the technique. Fishermen who drop to the bottom then let set for 1-2 seconds then yank up hard about two feet are snagging. If they drop the lure within 1-2 inches off bottom the gently as it will still flutter raise it about a foot to drop again, eyes smack it , and the fish mostly hit on the rise. Blade baits also work well casting and smallmouths smash them on a steady retrieve.
   Do not get me wrong I love them rapala's and flicker shads and mepp's and spoons and etc., however at times them blade baits shine, like late fall and deep eyes. I have even caught some big perch in P I Bay with them while fishing Small Mouths-casting and working them deep.
   The spillway isn't much different to me than fishing the Erie streams for steelhead, both too crowded for me. I have watched and they look to be having fun. Never seen one snagged although I am sure it happens. Most times I have watched no one caught anything. Did see one of the biggest crappy I have ever seen caught there and I believe it was fair hooked.
  If we are giving up fishing for spawning fish best lock up the Erie streams. No more spring Crappy's. Them big bull gills on the spawn beds I always kind of felt guilty catching but they are good eating.
a2td
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/07/15 17:33:46 (permalink)
I didn't even know you were allowed to fish the spillway?
Are we talking about the carp spillway?
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Snag Fest starting soon ! 2019/07/17 00:18:51 (permalink)
 On the other side ov the road by the wire they are talking about. Nice windy rain going on there right now.  Good for crawler pickin'...

crappy
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: