Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Kevin_A
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/03 16:58:42 (permalink)

South Hills Winter Fishing

Hello all. First I want to thank everyone here for their knowledge and helping me have the best year of fishing I've ever had. I have been lurking around this forum and I have just had a blast learning and putting things into practice.

With that said, I don't want the fishing to end just because it's gotten a little cold. Does anyone have some input or thoughts on bank fishing in the South Hills area during the winter? Obviously we aren't seeing any ice anytime soon and I'm stuck on the bank doing what I can.

I am thinking about going to Cross Creek this weekend and fishing the dam end of the lake because it seems to be much deeper than the bait shop end. I am thinking that the water temps have dropped and the fish have moved to that deeper water. Perhaps I am wrong. 

If anyone has any thoughts on a direction to take for fishing over the next few months I would be even further in your debt.

Thanks all!

37 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/07 15:41:56 (permalink)
    South Hills is limited on fishing options.  Adding winter to the equation, makes the catching go down a good bit for me at least.

There was talk a while back, about good fishing in the Mon and Yough during the winter.  The lakes are tricky right now.  Unless you are close to those waters, you don't know if there is just enough ice to make things unfishable.  Which I have had a few instances, pack up, drive an hour, and find it out the hard way.  I would imagine the Twin Lakes talk on the other thread, would be a good indicator of how Cannonsburg is fishing.  I think guys fish some trout streams year round, but I am not one of them.

I think most in the South Hills are sorting their spring fishing gear or just occupying themselves with non-fishing activities.  Ice this far south usually isn't consistent, unless an unseasonably cold winter.  

Best wishes.  And hope to hear some reports from you.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/07 21:14:01 (permalink)
    I too fish SWPA waterways, mostly from the shore. For the last month fishing has been pretty solid for crappies and gills. That being said, winter fishing can be frustrating. One day I put a bunch of crappie on the bank, the next day I really work hard for a few bites, at least I'm fishing. I also know they are catching walleyes on the Mon

PT2
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/08 16:31:11 (permalink)
    This thread pushed me over the edge... After over a month off from my last skunking, I decided to give my closest trout fishery a try. I had planned to go a few other times but didn’t pan out. Likely last time it will be close to 60 for a while, so figured a personal day wouldn’t be a bad idea. 3 decent browns and 6-7 other hits (2 were on for a few seconds). Saw a few other flashes near my offering. They were very aggressive. One had a 4” gizzard shad half way down its throat and still felt my lure was worth grabbing. Felt good to finally wash that last skunking off. Something good to daydream about until next time out!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/09 07:25:07 (permalink)
    Good deal on the fishing Pork.

I had visions of doing said same trout outing around here, but decided (with my wife’s help), that the warm temperatures were also the prime opportunity to give the three pointers a mid winter bath.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/09 10:23:27 (permalink)
    Mine needs one too.  I'll be forced to deal with his dog stench until the next warm up.  Baths usually only take that away for 2-3 weeks anyway...  At least finally cold enough to freeze the ever soggy back yard that he has a formed a few mud patches in.

I've got a sure skunking planned for next week on a work trip.  Unless just too cold, snow or whatever.  Reports in the area are pretty horrible, but better than sitting in a hotel room.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/09 17:46:13 (permalink)
    They were really happy to get some muddy winter off of them, although I’m sure they will be slopped right back up in a few days.

Good luck on avoiding the skunk.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Racerx
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/12 18:02:28 (permalink)
      I'm in the South Hills, too.  Got the itch last week, and went out to Pine Creek.  There's a DHALO section, and it was just stocked, I think, mid December.  Caught 2 brookies within the first half hour.  Landed 2 more over the next 2 hours, 1 brook and 1 brown. Ended up moving below the North Park Lake dam.  This is where the creek continues, after the lake.  Landed 1 last brook under a bridge just downstream of the spillway, before I decided to call it a day.

Another location you can try is Chartier's Creek, just below Canonsburg Lake Dam.  Supposedly, the trout had been biting, there, recently, as well.

Just trying to help another local guy get his fix.  
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/13 16:47:59 (permalink)
    Below Canonsburg Dam is pretty steady all winter for bass, panfish, trout. Chartiers Creek has been blown out more than it's been fishable, but it's kept fishing pressure low. Anybody fishing Dutch Fork lately?

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/14 16:17:36 (permalink)
    I have a love hate relationship with below Canonsburg dam...

1. It is extremely close
    2. I tell myself I should fish it more
    3. I say F-it and go
    4. I get there and I'm disgusted by the trash, smell, nasty water, ect
    5. I swear never again
    6. Few yrs pass and I start back at point 1. in the cycle

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/14 17:02:12 (permalink)
    KJH807
    I have a love hate relationship with below Canonsburg dam...

1. It is extremely close
    2. I tell myself I should fish it more
    3. I say F-it and go
    4. I get there and I'm disgusted by the trash, smell, nasty water, ect
    5. I swear never again
    6. Few yrs pass and I start back at point 1. in the cycle

That pretty much sums up Canonsburg for me too, except 1/2 hour drive, so not extremely close.  

South Hills options that don't include point #4, are pretty much non-existent... 
    Fishing is fun
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/14 19:39:51 (permalink)
    What about Ten Mile Creek down around Mariana.  I know it's not the close but I thought that it got stocked by one of the sportsman's clubs recently
    Kevin_A
    New Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/14 21:49:46 (permalink)
    Hello again all. Well I did manage to get out that Saturday the 5th. I didn't get to hike to the dam because my daughter wanted to join me so we to Thompson Hill park and fished off the pier there (well I fished, she rode her scooter up and down the walk and when she did fish she managed to donate her Elsa fishing pole to the gods of the lake.....). Didn't get a single bite but it was a gorgeous day, a bit windy but sunny, and we enjoyed the day and the park. I fished a drop shot off the bottom along with a slip bobber just trying various depths. I tried Gulp Minnows, Crappie Nibbles, curly tailed grubs. Just trying various things. No luck, but still a good day. 

I am definitely going to take some of these suggestions a run with them. I enjoy Canonsburg lake well enough for what it is. Like a lot of guys, its close so that takes it from "meh" to "ok". Ive had fun catching smaller channel cats, tons of bluegill, and the odd carp which is fun on lighter tackle and get pretty big. The kids have fun with all of the bluegill so that's something lol. Its nice enough to get out after work during the week and just sit down with a cigar. If I catch something, then great. If not, the cigar was good.

I need to get out and try the spillway here soon since that seems promising. I am certainly going to look at the other suggestions and plan outings to see what things are like.

Thank you all again. 

Keep an eye out from the 6'-8" guy, about the size of a Sasquatch, and smoking a cigar. That'll be me.
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/15 12:53:36 (permalink)
    Not sure where in the South Hills you reside, but the Mon river offers numerous good fishing sites. Try below any of the multiple dams as well as the mouth of incoming streams. There are multiple launch ramps if boating as well as great shore fishing opportunities.
    Kevin_A
    New Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/15 13:30:45 (permalink)
    I definitely want to fish the rivers but it has a been a long time since I have and I just don't know any spots in the area let alone any that arent super sketchy. I grew up around Steubenville OH (dont worry, Ive been cultured since then), and used to know where to fish the Ohio, where the outlets were from power plants/the mills, close parking etc. I just haven't put in the leg work to drive around, walk around, and see what spots are out there so that's on me for the most part. 

Without spot burning or whatnot, any suggestions on somewhere to check out? I would be willing to go as far up the Mon to, oddly enough, Monongahela or so I think. I would be around 45-60 mins away from there depending. Thanks.  
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/15 14:51:16 (permalink)
    Porktown

That pretty much sums up Canonsburg for me too, except 1/2 hour drive, so not extremely close.  

South Hills options that don't include point #4, are pretty much non-existent... 

I grew up within a mile or so of there and would ride my bike there most days in the summer in the 90s
    it changed a ton after Ivan(?) and the soured out island
    I'm less than 5 miles from it now

There is one spot I had close, but the do-gooders and the fines have kept me away the past few years

Racerx
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/16 19:55:24 (permalink)
    Kevin_A
    I definitely want to fish the rivers but it has a been a long time since I have and I just don't know any spots in the area let alone any that arent super sketchy.

In the warmer months, I do a fair amount of fishing down on the North Shore, on the Allegheny.  There's a trail there, to get to spots and parking.  I especially like fishing outside PNC Park, at River Rescue.  I've caught 3-3.5 pound smallies, and a muskie or two, there, plus a few Walleyes for good measure.
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/18 15:38:05 (permalink)
    olgerman
    Not sure where in the South Hills you reside, but the Mon river offers numerous good fishing sites. Try below any of the multiple dams as well as the mouth of incoming streams. There are multiple launch ramps if boating as well as great shore fishing opportunities.

Where are these numerous launch ramps that you mention? There aren't many boat ramps on the Mon. You have south side and Braddock and then way down in Elizabeth. Then you have maybe McKeesport and New Eagle
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/20 12:50:14 (permalink)
    "Where are these numerous launch ramps that you mention? There aren't many boat ramps on the Mon. You have south side and Braddock and then way down in Elizabeth. Then you have maybe McKeesport and New Eagle."

While you have missed a couple---what's wrong with 5 sites? 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/20 16:51:01 (permalink)
    New Eagle to Southside is like 50 miles of river. Not that 5 launches isn’t ample, it is kind of limited though. So is shore access spots from downtown to Elizabeth (I haven’t fished south of there myself). At least in comparison to the Allegheny in access spots for that distance (at least that I am aware of). More old mills and other private property without access. Also safer neighborhoods on the Allegheny compared to the Mon for the most part.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/20 23:50:12 (permalink)
    At this point most lakes are gonna have at least skim ice. And yinz guys must’ve catching the rivers juuust right, because they have been mostly high and muddy when I’ve looked. For me there’s nothing in winter around here that’s 1. Good enough 2. Close enough 3. With a wife and kids if I’m using one of my “going fishing” passes (limited lol) then I’m going farther away than round here during winter. Spring-fall is a different story, good options abound if you fish the rivers.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/20 23:50:12 (permalink)
    edit, sorry double post
    post edited by fisherofmen376 - 2019/01/22 12:01:12

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/21 08:48:58 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    At this point most lakes are gonna have at least skim ice. And yinz guys must’ve catching the rivers juuust right, because they have been mostly high and muddy when I’ve looked. For me there’s nothing in winter around here that’s 1. Good enough 2. Close enough 3. With a wife and kids if I’m using one of my “going fishing” passes (limited lol) then I’m going farther away than round here during winter. Spring-fall is a different story, good options abound if you fish the rivers.

Pretty much same situation here.  The limited passes must be used wisely.  Either knowing the odds of having a good day (either catching or enjoying the weather) or just NEED to get out and relieve stress from work/parental responsibilities.  Spring and fall unfortunately, have good options just about everywhere.  Winter and mid summer seem to only have a few specialized options available.  That said, bring on spring!!!
    The Professor
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/22 12:06:52 (permalink)
    Hi Kevin--

Here is my channel, I live in the area and fish most of the spots.  This might help. Take care.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1m4TuDtuLNzqiphPChnQg

Dan
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/22 13:14:23 (permalink)
    In my endeavors of finding the ultimate answer to successful fishing. Having stumbled through field, forest and stream. One day, I came upon a wise old fisher sitting upon the bank of the mighty Allegheny.

Old wise Fisher sitting upon the bank, I sez, what is the ultimate secrete to making a successful angler?

Setting a lit match to the bowl of his pipe, the guru of angling peering over his polarized sunglasses, sez to me.... how the hell do I know, first time out of the house myself!!!

Well, having had time to digest the results of my adventures I have come to the conclusion, the ultimate secrete could be. Spring and fall it's catching while winter and summer it's fishing. But then again.... how the hell do I know?? Brilliant!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/22 13:20:10 (permalink)
    So that was you that bothered me while I was relaxing on the bank!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/22 13:26:22 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    So that was you that bothered me while I was relaxing on the bank!

How the hell do I know?? 😉😄😄🍻

Howdy howdy Jigs, I hope all is well with you.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/22 14:45:17 (permalink)
    4 stents later I think I'll go fishing this spring.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/22 21:19:21 (permalink)
    Jigs that would be super to hear ya can get out and wet a line.

But in the spring, it's called "catching".

Then again, what the hell do I know?

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: South Hills Winter Fishing 2019/01/23 08:30:30 (permalink)
    Was more catching going on my last trip out a few weeks ago, than my last 2-3 fall trips. The roller coaster weather we have had the past few years has trusted seasonal patterns all out of whack. Let’s hope spring is back to catching season. Another arctic blast coming, likely followed by highs in the 70s... I wouldn’t complain if summer is the new catching season!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: