Locked2018 Gun Season

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2018/12/05 21:25:50 (permalink)

2018 Gun Season

Man, yinz all must be hunting really hard the past 10 days!  Guess I'll go first.  

My youngest is now on the mentored tag, and he worked hard this fall to earn some hunts, by becoming proficient with both the cross bow and the .243.  

We got out a few times in archery, but never had anything come close enough to even think about a shot.  

The rifle opener found my boys and I with the car loaded up with fishing gear, to make the 2 hour run to the Erie tribs to fish in relative peace and quiet as we did a few years ago on the first day, but too much rain in the early morning hours washed those plans right out.  The 15 year old tagged a buck in archery season, and so for the youngest, it meant an opportunity to hunt.  We waited out the morning rain, and hunted a few different places Monday afternoon in 2D, seeing only 4 does, which would have been too far for a shot even if they had been legal game.  

A little hooky was played on the first Friday morning, and we took to the woods on a friends' property in the Butler County portion of 2B with the hopes of at least some bald deer passing by.  Didn't even see a squirrel.  Saturday morning was a bust on one of the properties we hunted Monday, with only a yearling doe seen.  

On Saturday afternoon, I scored a honey of a deal to hunt a new property of an acquaintance I've known for a few years, when I found out he wanted some does shot on his 100+ acres.   I'm certainly not the bashful type - my wife says I'm shameless - so I made a beeline to him when I saw him early Saturday afternoon and said, "We can help you with the doe population if you'd like."  He also gave my son permission to shoot a buck, if given the opportunity.  

3:15 PM found us in a box blind on the edge of a small food plot on his property, and man was I thankful for that with the stiff East wind in our faces, and the mixed precipitation that fell on and off throughout the evening.  

After a couple of days of early mornings and cold hunts, his eyes were drooping pretty good by 4:15, and he was fast asleep and snoring about 5 minutes after I snapped this pic.  

At 4:45, I woke him - not easily! - when I saw some deer far off, slowly feeding our way.  We willed them to get closer, but I knew that unless something bothered them, they would remain at distance that was safe for them.

As they inched closer, we watched and waited, and he shivered and his teeth chattered, from the combination of a cold nap and his first time getting hit with Buck Fever!  

I leaned back to look out the door of the blind, and at 4:55 a doe with two skippers in tow came from the woods behind the blind and into the field.  I helped him get on the lead doe, and had him follow her until she got in shooting position.  At just the right moment as she stopped at about 35 yards, I clicked off the safety and told him to bury one.  

At the shot, she hunched up, stumbled a bit and ran.  But it was a death run, and I knew she wouldn't make it far.  She covered about 80 yards through a field and hit the dirt.  On her death run, she ran straight towards the long driveway that splits the property, and we only had a 30 yard drag - the easiest of my life with this big old nanny! 

Hope somebody else has some stories and/or pics to share!  Miss hearing the stories and updates we had going in archery season!  

10 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/06 04:40:11 (permalink)
    Nice e swamp donkey. Great story and hunt. I'm heading out this morning myself. I hunted yesterday 1 yote and 10 flatheads. No Shots.lol  Yotes never stop and one doe came flying by and 9 where all bunched up at about a hundred yards. I'm trying to pick out a big one,and then suddenly bolt. Finally someone in the woods, I heard 8 shots all around me before the 9 came running in.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/06 07:39:13 (permalink)
    R,

Way for the young man to go!

Tell him congratulations!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/06 15:55:11 (permalink)
    The 6.5 Creedmoor barked again at 9:02, big swamp donkey down. It was a nice broadside shot,probably about 80-90 yard in timber. I heart shot her and I'm always surprised at the distance they can run, great blood trail but I'm guessing she went at least 75 yards. I donated her to a needy family. Guy picked her up and almost cried. It's nice to help out someone that really can use and needs it. I'm done in Pa. I've got a tag left but no muzzleloader for me this year. Going to work on a late season buck in Ohio. My son had great luck in Ohio hunting the food sources in December and January. Time will tell,he hunted my ground blind yesterday and said quite a few day time bucks came past my blind, (on cameras)nothing big but a couple decent shooters.
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/07 08:45:05 (permalink)
    BT, that's awesome that you were able to help somebody out with that doe.  

Is the late season in Ohio archery, or is it still slug gun season over there?
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/07 18:24:34 (permalink)
    Archery season starts September 30 and run straight through till the Feb 3. Never goes out,that's why I been buying Ohio license for at least 30 plus years. Next weekend 15-16th two days shotgun then a 4 day inline or flintlock. Still can archery hunt in those gun seasons. I'm strictly getting this done with a X bow. I never killed a late season buck. I never killed a deer over bait (legal on private property in Ohio) so that my plan.My son did it twice in the past few years and said the colder it gets the more they come. A couple of years ago we dumped a.100lbs of corn and about 300 lbs of pumpkins. We set a camera up over the bait pile. We were there at 3:00 pm and he said nothing would come in because we touch all the pumpkins and split them open.lol At 4:30 there was a very mature 7 pts munching away. He passed 6 different bucks in three days,and killed that big 7 on day 4. Like I said I'm open to any legal from of hunting,with that said hate if your a hater. I paid my 200.00 so game on. Something different,it's done on most TV hunting shows. I personally kill most Ohio Bucks Nov 10th -24 th typically rut. But this year hunting Pa till the end and after that is was a lot of wrong wind for my Ohio ground blind.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2018/12/07 18:49:29
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/07 19:07:36 (permalink)
    It is good to help the hungry,we usually give a few to the "hunters helping the hungry" program ,it provides 1000s of meals of venison for the needy. By hunting here & in West. Va. we usually get some xtras & are glad to share,especially this time of year. btw if anyone needs a deer you used to be able to get 1 from your game protector.  sam
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/07 19:55:44 (permalink)
    Dave tell your son to pull that camo mask down ....can't see that big smile !....lol
    Congrats on a big cow kill ! 
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/07 21:27:47 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Dave tell your son to pull that camo mask down ....can't see that big smile !....lol
    Congrats on a big cow kill ! 

I told him to Brock, but he was freezing cold by then!  He didn't get my build, so the skinny little punk doesn't have much meat on his bones.  
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/07 21:31:40 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    Like I said I'm open to any legal from of hunting,with that said hate if your a hater. I paid my 200.00 so game on. 

Hey, I don't blame ya for using whatever legal means you can.  

Back from '98-'01, I lived in Kentucky and a buddy and I pretty much had a 175 acre farm to ourselves.  Baiting was legal, and my buddy was from SC where it was legal too.  He bought a bunch of corn, and found a pear orchard somewhere and got a bunch of pears that we dumped in a few places.  Came back a week later, and the farmer's cows did a number on our bait piles, and left us plenty of patties as their way of saying thanks.  
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: 2018 Gun Season 2018/12/08 18:32:28 (permalink)
    Congratulations great story
    post edited by anzomcik - 2018/12/08 20:04:35
    Jump to: