Pheasants '18

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2018/10/29 20:51:17 (permalink)

Pheasants '18

I know a few of you like to chase pheasants, so how's you're season going so far?

Nina is almost 3 now, and for doing nothing other than hunt her for training, she's really starting to get on top of her game. First time out was definitely a warm up (for both of us), but once she got the scent of the first one and put it up she was hooked again. Poor shooting on my part resulted in 4 flushes and none going home with us.

The second trip out she was on it again putting up multiple birds. Many offered no shot, and once again my **** poor shooting missed some of them, but we managed to take 1 home with us. Third trip out we didn't put up many birds, but I finally managed to shoot straight and get 2 of the 3 that flushed.

Torn between archery season and running the dog, I decided to hit the fields one more time this afternoon after a wet weekend. I love sitting in a stand waiting for a bruiser buck to show up, but there is just something about seeing the look on Nina's face when she starts putting up birds. Ended up flushing 8 today. Multiple ones offered no shot since the dog chased a few runners and put them up out of range, but ended up taking 2 home. Fantastic afternoon for the both of us. Was surprised that I didn't see another hunter while I was there.

Hope you all are having a good season as well! Now a few hero shots of the happy pooch.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

19 Replies Related Threads

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/29 21:05:55 (permalink)
    crappie slayer, I am glad that you are enjoying the best part of the year IMO, now add in the great fishing now , & life is good. I love that first pict where it looks like your dog is daring someone to reach for that bird. Hope you two have many more good days afield.  sam
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/30 04:45:00 (permalink)
    Thanks crappie. Just being out enjoying nature is what its all about, and being able to take home some quarry is an added bonus. Fall certainly is a great time. Good luck to you afield and afloat.

By the way, that also might be the dog giving me the "if you knew how to shoot we'd have 2" look. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜’
    post edited by CRAPPIE_SLAYER - 2018/10/30 04:47:26
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/30 06:20:25 (permalink)
    Congrats on the pheasant hunting and good job to Nina.

Dogs and pheasants are the reason I never got into archery hunting until last year.

Now it is a toss up between which to do on a day off.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/30 10:32:14 (permalink)
    CS congrats on the birds. Great pics too.

Lmao over the look on the dogs face.

Keep em comin.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/30 10:33:23

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/30 19:32:28 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

Put Nina to work again this afternoon. Some good work from the dog and some true shooting resulted in 2 birds again. They were the only 2 we put up. Only look I got from the dog today was "do we really have to go home now".

I hear ya on the toss up between birds and deer Dardys. Unfortunately for the dog she's gonna have to wait a few more days before we chase the pheasants again. Times getting short and I feel the need to put a buck on the ground now that the rut seems to be heating up.

Good luck out there no matter what you're chasing!

Attachment(s)

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/30 20:54:42 (permalink)
    Way to go Crappie. I loved chasing birds,bunnies and squirrel. I told my son we hunt all year for 3 or 4 shots a year counting arrows and bullets. A lot of hunting and not much killing. I miss Bella my last beagle,this is the second year of no dog. I kept hunting dogs since I was 7,so it feels kinda strange not having any. 58 years of gundogs a lot of good times,good memories and big family dinners. We always cooked rabbits,pheasant,and grouse on Sunday during hunting season. Funny how deer and turkey took over. I deer hunted since I was 13 but I think we only hunted deer because small game season was closed.lol
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2018/10/31 05:22:33
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/31 06:34:39 (permalink)
    Well, the rut is rolling around here, at least at night, so it ought to be switching to daylight any day.

Pheasant stocking should be happening Thursday or Friday.

What to do? What to do?

Since I am off Thursday, it will be an all day deer day (although I just got an email from my Africa taxidermist that my mounts are ready to ship and my display space is not yet completed, er, started because they were not supposed to be ready until sometime March - July, and should probably get to work on that with the time available).

Friday, Iโ€™m off in the afternoon, so it will be pheasant hunting with old friends, unless the forecasted 1.25 inches of rain materializes, in which case it will probably be working on the display space.

Saturday will hopefully be display space work because I hope Iโ€™m done with deer as of Thursday โ€” LOL.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/10/31 08:38:21 (permalink)
    Dardy's ๐Ÿบ here's to ya gettin one them elusive PA. White Tailed Deer taken in the Pennsylvania Wilds archery style, to place in your new space.

The 'rut of November' is upon us, good luck all yinz all.

CS your stories keep many going back to field as well as refresh memories of those who have been there before you.

Keep em comin๐Ÿ‘

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/08 19:41:22 (permalink)
    Took the pooch out for some of her favorite exercise this afternoon. Only had about an hour to run the field we hit. Flushed one, but it was out of range. Dog comes back looking at me like what the hell, me looking at her like you can't flush them that far out. Nice afternoon to be out not sweating to death walking around. Of course on the way out in the truck a rooster walks right across the road.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/12 21:34:08 (permalink)
    He knows where to hide............lol

Took this photo up near Elk Creek RR Tubes
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/13 19:35:50 (permalink)
    Lol...nice pic captain.

Archery season is over now, so I took Nina for a run after work. She did her job well and we worked hard for her to put 2 up for me. I did my job 50% and hit one. Had the area to myself today.

Gonna run the feist dog Elsa tomorrow now that she won't be treeing any hunters in their stands. Judging by the amount of squirrels I saw deer hunting, it should be a good day.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/13 20:16:57 (permalink)
    crappie slayer Not trying to hijack this post,but did you ever notice how many fox squirrels there are along side of Elk creek. Some heavy weights too.  sam
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/13 20:54:27 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    crappie slayer Not trying to hijack this post,but did you ever notice how many fox squirrels there are along side of Elk creek. Some heavy weights too.ย  sam

Sounds like an area I should be hunting. Love those fat fox squirrels ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/14 08:23:13 (permalink)
    Did PGC announce how many stamps they sold in '18? I would guess even less then in 2017
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/14 10:33:52 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    Did PGC announce how many stamps they sold in '18? I would guess even less then in 2017

Wassa mater for you, skip them classes on "researching the internet" or, your Prof not available to give step by step "how to use your 'puter"?

Other than the Xbox button, I mean?
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/14 10:36:43

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/14 19:27:34 (permalink)
    Ok ill highjack my own thread. Maybe I should have just called it dogwork '18. Let Nina have a break tonight (she was less than impressed) and took her friend Elsa out for a run. Shortly into the trip she put up the first squirrel for the year. Many missed shots with the 22 later ( thought I bumped it last year and should have sighted it in) I traded out guns and we were off again. They weren't running all over the place today, but the feist dog did her job well and we ended up with a few. Five more chases ended with 3 in the bag and 2 den trees. Man them greys can shimmy and shake thru the treetops. Elsa was a happy dog to be out again doing what she does best. Tried to get her to sit still for a pic with her quarry, but sitting still is definitely not this dogs specialty.

On a funny note, the dog kicked up 2 young doe chasing one of the treerats. They ran right at me and the lead one came within five yards before it saw me and I mocked a "bang" at it with the gun, which prompted it to run away about 10 yds before it stopped and stood there again. They better wise up if they plan on making it thru rifle season ๐Ÿ˜€

Attachment(s)

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/14 20:11:55 (permalink)
    psu_fish

I'm not sure where you were headed with this comment, but if was to bash the PGC for coming out with the stamp in the first place I'll give you my newbies take on it.

I've only pheasant hunted for the past couple of years, mainly because I got a mutt that I thought might put a few up if I took her out, and its working. I understand that it is essentially the trout fishing of the hunting world in PA. From what I understand, the pheasant program was a straight $$ loss, so they added the stamp to recuperate some of the money. All I can say is that for $27, the enjoyment that the dog and I get out of it is worth the money. Some people choose to spend $100 or more per month to sit in front of the boob tube flipping through countless channels they could care less about to entertain themselves. Some spend $100's at a shot to go see a sports game where the players could care less that you're there as long as you're shelling out the $$ for their paycheck. Whatever your entertainment choice I don't care, its your money. Me, I'll spend the $27 and get many hours of enjoyment watching the mutt do what she loves to do best, and maybe even take home dinner too boot. I definitely hope that there is plenty others like me out there in this state, and wish the program lots of luck in the future.

Ok, rant over...
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/14 20:48:26 (permalink)
    Nice dog work and shooting, CS. I fell back into my old ways. I found a black walnut tree and park my ars about 25 yards from it. Yesterday morning 2 Fox 1 gray. Today 2 fox and 1 grey. I let 11 Grey's get a free pass in two mornings,they where really small. 6 tree rats 6 shots out of my Marlin bolt .22 Biscuits and gravy. Nobody eats them but me,so I'll end up with 3 meals. 2 of those foxies where about as big as they get. I still get a kick out of squirrel hunting.lol
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pheasants '18 2018/11/14 21:04:08 (permalink)
    Nice gunwork on your end too BT. Fun going after the squirrels with the .22. Enjoy the biscuits and gravy. Everyone else is definitely missing out on a fine meal.
    Jump to: