Gear review

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Gear review 2018/01/25 17:57:26 (permalink)
Another bad review is a hardside rod case. Brand not named but price was $56.0] on sale.
Waste of dough. Obviously I'm not looking to stuff it at once with all them rods, but I take combo actions out together. You can't fit any rigged rod and reel set up and close the case. Defeats the purpose imo . Its bulky and adds weight for no reason.
I'd recommend on passing on any flat hard case.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gear review 2018/01/25 21:42:10 (permalink)
That bubbly at top center looks reliable🍺

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2018/01/29 11:29:22 (permalink)
Clam extreme ice bibs. Bought on super sale at going out of business Gander. Reg. Price at Gander was $239 got them for $79.  They are warm, and have good thick knee pads.  Waterproof and windproof so far. The bad is that the liners are not secured well and get turned inside out and get tangled easily. The seams on the liners are below  par and have ripped in several places already. The seams will be fixed with needle and thread or silicone and I will be more careful taking them off. 6/10 fish for a rating

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/30 17:54:28 (permalink)
I'm not such a clam products fan. Their lures have failed me with broken hooks. I know of some friends with their clothes and shelters that are disappointed , durability wise.

I like your rating of 0-10 Clint.
How long have you owned the bibs ? If short term and already doing repairs, I'd give it a 4 minus just based on price.
Most things that cost upwards of a twenty bill should work as disposable in a season.
But still working as intended.
When the price goes up so does the expectations.
I don't mind spending $50.00 on a pair of lined work pants that last a few years.
It hurts and I look elsewhere when something fails short.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/30 19:42:56 (permalink)
Me too, I give Clint 10+ fish on his rating system.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/03/10 13:14:43 (permalink)
Its mud season.
Muck boots have been the best investment I have made.
I been wearing mine every day since October

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/11 19:47:00 (permalink)
Found this :
Open for discussion.

One thing I know is , wading boots do NOT convert to hunting or ice fishing boots and vice versa.

Korker lace on ( Velcro now ) cleats suck for ice fishing. Heavy and cumbersome.
I don't want heavy things on my feet when dragging a sled . The grip they do provide is unnecessary for the cost.
I put up some ice chain cleats at to the door cheap that work awesome and easy on, easy off.

Save some dough, buy smart .
I'm the dummy who bought everything 3 times over

Ps. Here they are but NOT for wading
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/10/11 19:53:29

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/11 22:49:01 (permalink)
I just use the rubber ones that pull over. Less than 10$ and give good traction Going on season 3 with the last pair.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 08:28:25 (permalink)
I keep a pair of the rubber ones in the car, under the driver seat.  I bought them for ice fishing, but they have been lifesavers the last couple of autumns up in P-Town when the rain that was falling at 11 PM was sheet ice on all the paved surfaces at pre-dawn.  Without them, I would likely have taken some nasty falls.  They are too lightweight to use for traction on the river, I occasionally find the remnants of one that someone tried.  I got mine at all seasons, I'll be buying a couple of spares this year.  

I wish I had had the foresight to buy a few pairs of the old black Korkers when they were like 35 bux.  Yes they are heavy, but screwed to the boot heels with drywall screws, and the laces replaced with clothesline, they did the job on rocky stream bottoms.
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 08:53:49 (permalink)
   One thing I learned about the lace on Korkers is they aren't good on snow. Seems like they turn into down hill skies. I went down the hill at Ellis cover and almost in the river one February day. Big, bulky not something I want on my feet they haven't been on since.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 10:58:23 (permalink)
Lucky13
I keep a pair of the rubber ones in the car, under the driver seat.  I bought them for ice fishing, but they have been lifesavers the last couple of autumns up in P-Town when the rain that was falling at 11 PM was sheet ice on all the paved surfaces at pre-dawn.  Without them, I would likely have taken some nasty falls.  They are too lightweight to use for traction on the river, I occasionally find the remnants of one that someone tried.  I got mine at all seasons, I'll be buying a couple of spares this year.  

I wish I had had the foresight to buy a few pairs of the old black Korkers when they were like 35 bux.  Yes they are heavy, but screwed to the boot heels with drywall screws, and the laces replaced with clothesline, they did the job on rocky stream bottoms.

I rarely snowblow the drive without mine on if there is even a hint of ice. Not worth the fall

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 11:46:33 (permalink)
Speaking of ice cleats,
There is a huge difference between the ones wally store sells. They are typically a bar type and for some reason Don T have anything on the heal. Complete junk IMO. The bars fill with snow and tend to fall apart quickly.

This is what you want.

Attachment(s)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 12:29:26 (permalink)
HT, they are a Chinese copy of Kahtoola micro-spikes. I've got many miles, probably pushing several hundred  on my Kahtoolas. They've gone up Marcy on ice, and a whole bunch of other places like off the rim of the Grand Canyon with snow on the trail.  In other words, I bet my life on them. Kahtoolas are 60-70, the only difference is maybe the quality of the rubber and the hardness of the steel. If you're not backpacking and hiking with them, no need for the extra bucks.  They work.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 12:56:09 (permalink)
Yes , these are cheap enough and suit my needs for general use. I considered the kahtoola but they ain't cheap.
Fyi: kahtoola were produced in Korea but have moved production to Thailand and are now receiving complaints about the rubber being weaker

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 13:19:29 (permalink)
All I use now are felt bottom hip boots.
NOT going deep and big rocky anymore- unsteady on my feet at 71 and in the past several years had two very near drowning experiences. ( not on the SR-both in the Caribbean)
Don't use  ladder stands for Deer now and its feet on the ground at all times.
The felts do just fine and if I am someplace they don't work- well- I'm just in the wrong place.
Do just as well fishing from knee deep as those guys in line up to their butts.
Yea--there are places I used to like to fish or cross over but--time passes and  methods must as well IMHO.
Haven't digressed into one of those guys sitting in a lawn chair riverside--yet
Gotta know your limitations.
To those who can still get out there and wade all over the place- must admit- am a bit jealous.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 13:20:15 (permalink)
I'm no expert (did I say "that") but after wallowing around on the ice, last year, my nephew blessed his tired asz uncle with a pair of Yaktrax Diamond Grips.  Moderately priced and they worked very well, easy on easy off, (for an old guy) allowing me to walk comfortably and feeling secure. 

It was great as no longer would I have to worry about appearing on YouTube, flopping around on the ice, looking like a bear cub wearing boxing gloves. 

Can't guarantee longevity as I had just received the cleats but I can say I did some heavy hoofing looking for those elusive White Speckled  Bass.  Or carp, sucker and, any other fish that would bite my hook making me look like I knew what the I was doing.  Annnnnd give reason for why the hell I was even out in such conditions in the first place.

Anyways, the YakTrax  in their box, hung from the shelves with care, in hope that ice will soon be there.

Did I mention the convenience of the cleats fitting different footwear for different uses?? Cept I'm not sure how they'd work on snowshoes

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/12 13:23:46

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 13:23:26 (permalink)
BTW- ground hunting for Deer with bow takes me back to being a kid--few shots   lol.
Did get a spike last year though.
Likely more rewarding than many were from up high.
post edited by r3g3 - 2018/10/12 13:59:19
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 13:44:31 (permalink)
I made up my mind while I was retaking Hunter Safety last year and I got my introduction to Fall Arrest Systems, that any hunting I do will be from ground level, I just can's see myself swinging back and forth like a Pinata until I figure out my recovery, and the stories about guys who climb without a FAS can be gruesome.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 17:17:22 (permalink)
As for ice cleats again. The yaktrax were the answer to inferior junk cleats and not as aggressive as the old studded korkers. I threw down the $30.00 Bill at an ADK store . Once.
Mine were more of a spring bottom style and sucked. They clogged with snow.
I was not a return product customer.
Then I looked at the pricy kahtoola and about pooped , no doubt they looked well made and gnarly but could not justify the use ( for me ) per cost, even if I'm ice every week for 4 months a year. My concern was longevity.
I know I do preach quality products, I also try and find a middle ground as in today's products, many are disposable .

I'm still climbing a tree :
I have 7 stands out . I don't mind them at all but I'm moving towards comfort level and also heading back to ground blinds.
Currently, I have 3 set out.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 17:36:00 (permalink)
-erased- didnt like the sound of it -don't like too much numbers stuff.
post edited by r3g3 - 2018/10/12 18:23:38
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/12 18:25:49 (permalink)
Trevor, that was me for very long time before a treestand. I'd just build a 3 sided log cabin with hemlock branches to fill in along a stone wall or tree just high enough to rest the gun . Had a habatchi in 1. They worked. My grandfather shot more deer with a cigar in his mouth then I ever will.

Today my ground blinds are the fancy pop up models. 1 was even a blue ice shanty.
I ran a buddy heater in that 1 a few times.
Are the deer smarter than me, for sure.
I look for the dumb ones. Seems all the doe got smart real quick .
These were last year's dumb ones from me and my son.
Saving grace is we still go out there doing what we love
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/10/12 18:29:23

Attachment(s)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Gear review 2018/10/13 08:17:24 (permalink)
HT, the Kahtoola problem was fixed and they are back to holding up. This from mountaineers, not flat walkers. Also not from the net, but people I know and meet on trails. I put on a lot of miles in the woods, especially in winter.  I asked a friend that  manages an EMS  about it, and he said the returns stopped about a year ago, and were'nt that many.  Mine are on their third sharpening, so I may replace them. I probably will get Hillsounds.- same design, but with an adjustable instep strap that helps to keep them from rolling when sidehilling. TMI for this forum, but I give them a solid 8.  
     If any of you run across Sabre Hooks  for fly tying- think about their use. I've had quite a few fail. OK for sharks, but losing a trophy steel because of a bad hook sucks. Much better luck with Mustad.  Fly Shack, a very big seller of online flies uses the Sabre hooks, and that's where I bought mine, in their shop in Gloversville, NY. Great shop, but the hooks ain't. Just slightly cheaper than Mustad.  I bought some squiggly worm material in pink and chartreuse (for green weenies) and can't wait to see how well it works on steel. I used silicone thinned with mineral spirits rubbed into chenille for a pretty effective pink worm, this may have more movement and be far easier.  All Seasons probably has something similar, their tying section is excellent. Oh yeah, I like All Seasons- I give them a solid 8.  Some of my favorite gear is from there- Frabill nets, Stryker gloves and mitts , Mustad hooks, for a few examples. Their fly tying section is as good as anywhere I've been, with a few exceptions. Prices are very good.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/30 17:53:03 (permalink)
HUGE mistake !!
Do NOT put a cabelas pro dc meat grinder parts in a dishwasher !!
Totally ruined it.
They are polished aluminum and not stainless steel.
Wasted $200.00 on a piece of Chinese junk

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/30 20:11:42 (permalink)
So I called customer service and was directed to the manufacture ( warning) to see if I could buy ALL stainless replacement parts.
Was told all grinders are discontinued and replacement parts not available..
Basically that above mentioned store ( bellheads) is an overpriced job lot and will NEVER get another penny from my pocket.

It wasn't their fault but , I'm not paying high price for mostly disposable goods with no replacement parts available.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/30 20:39:06 (permalink)
Sorry I'm on a rant and rage but I'm so upset.
This is what it looked like after dishwasher, it used to be shinny. Yes my fault.
After touching and wiping it my hands and towel were black .
After vinegar, it looked acceptable but then I sprayed with bleach and the paper towel looked like this.
This is NOT acceptable to put on the table to feed to my family.

I have no problems with eating dirt or soil but metals and toxic chemicals are not going on our table from my knowing hands.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/30 21:31:39 (permalink)
Hot Tuna I've heard similar stories of people using grinder parts in a dishwasher who had success using "toothpaste" to rebuff the aluminum pieces. Crème of Tartar is another highly recommended polishing/cleaning process.  Bleach can stain the heck out of aluminum and may have added to your dilemma  
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/30 21:36:28

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/30 21:50:40 (permalink)
Thank you BTDT, can now say I did again.
Tragedy averted.
Vinegar, scrub with scotch bright since finish was oxidized from dishwasher.
Toothpaste, scotch brite, and brillo brushes until satisfied enough. Soaked in vegtable oil, heat in oven at 200.
It seems useable without residue. Going to run some bread and soft veggies through tomorrow.
Hopefully all is good.
Thanks to TB for the advice.

Still not getting a penny outta me again and I'm going to move towards real deal processing equipment very soon. Advice welcomed in the garden and farming folks thread.
We are increasing our livestock in 2019
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/10/30 21:51:56

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/10/30 22:32:51 (permalink)
Very much welcome HT. Good to hear things are working out. Sure would be a bummer to have that happen and cant get replacement parts.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/11/02 15:15:53 (permalink)
hot tuna
So I called customer service and was directed to the manufacture ( warning) to see if I could buy ALL stainless replacement parts.
Was told all grinders are discontinued and replacement parts not available..
Basically that above mentioned store ( bellheads) is an overpriced job lot and will NEVER get another penny from my pocket.

It wasn't their fault but , I'm not paying high price for mostly disposable goods with no replacement parts available.

You are in for a real big surprise if you ever need service to a Kitchenaide mixer.  The hot stuff in all the retail stores, but no one fixes them, and there are like 80,000 models so figuring out what parts you need is next to impossible.  Their Grinder and gear box are beatable by a jalapeno!

Sorry or hear that Cabella's has joined the corporate America, " we'll sell it but you are on your own if it fails" crew.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/11/13 12:47:27 (permalink)
Muck boots :
I beat the heck outta them. They are top notch mud season and ice fishing.
Not so much working on my hunting gear.
They stink like heck due to sweaty feet and no boot dryer. My feet been getting cold sitting hrs in my stand. Been using chemical packs for my toes.
I still give them 4.5 rating.
Going with my pack boots for awhile to compare.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to: