Helpful ReplyAmazon possiblilty

Author
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points: 0
2018/02/19 09:01:36 (permalink)

Amazon possiblilty

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the possibility of amazon moving to Pittsburgh. It will bring lots of jobs... but will also cause higher price of living, more traffic, less nature
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9679
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/20 13:47:44 (permalink)
Probably not the best location for this post.  I'm guessing you meant to put in the off topic?

I think a good thing.  I doubt it will change the cost of living much.  Pittsburgh is on a pretty steady incline of cost of living as it is.  I don't see it ever being on the same level as DC, NY, LA, SF or even Boston or Philadelphia.  One new company HQ isn't going to change it much.

Traffic would likely see a push, depending on where it is located.  My bet would be somewhere that 279 would serve as the major feeder.  If so, then traffic wouldn't be all that much more noticeable.  Most other roads being the primary artery, then likely would cause some major issues.  *IF in the city itself.  If in the surrounding area, there are plenty of places that could limit the impact, although would be a localized explosion.  I do believe if it went to Pgh or surrounding area, they'd have something in the package to add exits and widen certain roads to accommodate.

With how many mills and other steel supporting brown fields and other locations opened, I would be surprised if they were to wipe out much nature to make space for it.  Unless you are talking about those trees growing inside of the old JL/LTV mill in Hazelwood...  I'm sure most wouldn't mind that nature being taken away.  The housing stock in the area could easily handle 50k new residents.  Although, most likely half of those jobs would be filled by current residents.  There would definitely be a demand for new housing as well.  So, more of the suburban green space would take a hit.  Most of the green space in the city limits is either a park, a major challenge to build on or in a neighborhood that is so depressed, that building new is not a wise investment.

It would be nice for air travel.  20 years ago, you could get a nonstop flight to just about any major city in the US from PIT.  Now you have to fly through Detroit, Philly, Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago and others.  There are more and more direct flights coming in, but usually seasonal, this would likely put PIT back in contention to be a hub.  The infrastructure is there, and Amazon's draw and tax revenue would allow for a much more competitive package for an airlines than they were able to offer when USAir took off.

It sounds like they are a top candidate, with many predicting it will happen.  Although, you can find predictions of all top 20 or 19 or whatever it is.  I would welcome it.
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/21 06:40:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby #bradswag 2018/09/04 11:31:34
Porktown
Probably not the best location for this post.  I'm guessing you meant to put in the off topic?

I think a good thing.  I doubt it will change the cost of living much.  Pittsburgh is on a pretty steady incline of cost of living as it is.  I don't see it ever being on the same level as DC, NY, LA, SF or even Boston or Philadelphia.  One new company HQ isn't going to change it much.

Traffic would likely see a push, depending on where it is located.  My bet would be somewhere that 279 would serve as the major feeder.  If so, then traffic wouldn't be all that much more noticeable.  Most other roads being the primary artery, then likely would cause some major issues.  *IF in the city itself.  If in the surrounding area, there are plenty of places that could limit the impact, although would be a localized explosion.  I do believe if it went to Pgh or surrounding area, they'd have something in the package to add exits and widen certain roads to accommodate.

With how many mills and other steel supporting brown fields and other locations opened, I would be surprised if they were to wipe out much nature to make space for it.  Unless you are talking about those trees growing inside of the old JL/LTV mill in Hazelwood...  I'm sure most wouldn't mind that nature being taken away.  The housing stock in the area could easily handle 50k new residents.  Although, most likely half of those jobs would be filled by current residents.  There would definitely be a demand for new housing as well.  So, more of the suburban green space would take a hit.  Most of the green space in the city limits is either a park, a major challenge to build on or in a neighborhood that is so depressed, that building new is not a wise investment.

It would be nice for air travel.  20 years ago, you could get a nonstop flight to just about any major city in the US from PIT.  Now you have to fly through Detroit, Philly, Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago and others.  There are more and more direct flights coming in, but usually seasonal, this would likely put PIT back in contention to be a hub.  The infrastructure is there, and Amazon's draw and tax revenue would allow for a much more competitive package for an airlines than they were able to offer when USAir took off.

It sounds like they are a top candidate, with many predicting it will happen.  Although, you can find predictions of all top 20 or 19 or whatever it is.  I would welcome it.

Thanks for your response pork, I agree with several of your points. I just am a little sketchy on the whole thing because Pittsburgh infrastructure is falling apart at an alarming rate. I have seen the urban sprawl take place in canonsburg and bridgeville. My grandfather who once lived in the “country” of bridgeville now has several housing plans right next door. Just worried for my resources for the future. Once again pork , I appreciate you taking time to write that post
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/21 07:44:10 (permalink)
The only way Amazon comes to Pittsburgh, or anywhere for that matter, is if they have a reasonable guarantee of the facility not being targeted for union activity and the odds of that happening in Pittsburgh is not very good.

Take a look at where they placed their hubs in FL (between Tampa and Orlando — bear Lakeland for Steeler fans) and notice they are in low living cost, high unemployment (particularly for low skill or semi skilled labor), and non union areas. This is to provide a relatively cheap labor pool that is willing to work for what they are offering and be happy about it because it is leaps and bounds better than their current condition.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/21 08:51:33 (permalink)
The only issue they would have with unions in Pgh are the trade unions building their buildings. I've never heard of any corporate HQ being unionized. One of their major requirements is having a close resource of young college grads, especially those in tech fields. Not many CMU grads are going to be demanding an Union position. The trade unions for construction, although much more expensive than nonunion, would be able to build them what they needed at a fraction of the cost of most other cities on their final list. This isn't Pgh of 1960, most businesses are not unionized, and demand for it went away with the mills. Even then, management and corporate hq had very little if any unionization. They have a distribution center here already. If that center isn't Union, then I couldn't imagine any of this new stuff being unionized.
Urban sprawl happens. Pgh is far behind other cities in this. Cannonsburg area is going to be enfulfed by it, regardless if Amazon is coming. If Amazon were to choose the South Pointe area, then that would definitely speed up the process. We live in a Capitalistic society. Part of that is people wanting new things. New house is one of those things. Unless some economic collapse, it's going to happen. Even during the localized collapse in Pgh when the mills were shutting, urban sprawl was still happening. At a much slower pace than most cities. Unfortunately you can't have the best of both worlds (city and country), and expect it to last forever. Just one of the unfortunate realities of living in a Capitalist society. Beats being forced to work in a salt mine or something like that though!
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/21 09:33:50 (permalink)
Great point on the union aspect.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/21 10:37:07 (permalink)
It will go to Virginia, just out side of greasy palm Washington DC...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/21 11:07:51 (permalink)
If this were an automobile plant or some sort of manufacturing, then union would definitely be a major consideration.  Very likely a reason why manufacturing never came in and took advantage of the saturated skilled labor supply that Pgh had in the 80s.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2520
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/02/23 10:48:03 (permalink)
My moneys on Denver.
Or Dallas or Miami.
post edited by bigfoot - 2018/02/23 10:54:19

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

walleyewillie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/04/21 08:29:20 (permalink)
We have enough traffic already
#bradswag
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/09/07 11:02:22 (permalink)
i think this is a great idea because it will help create more jobs for some people in Pittsburgh. i would like to shop here as well.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/11/13 06:34:00 (permalink)
And, in no surprise to any one, it is NYC and northern VA.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Amazon possiblilty 2018/11/13 07:40:29 (permalink)
Jobs created by Amazon vs jobs lost to Amazon. hmmmm??

Amazon..... I ain't buyin it.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/13 07:41:58

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: