Helpful ReplyArthur!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/13 08:49:42 (permalink)
I noticed those things at Bear Run at the end of July.  It looked like they had started it a few weeks prior.  I have no idea what they are for?  Hopefully kayak launching. 

It would be nice if they widen the loop, or pull off, so there isn't such a back up there.  Might be impossible with the bathroom building there.  Usually those launching kayaks are courteous enough to pull to the side to let you past.  It burns me up waiting for trailer boats staging in the loop and take up the loop road.  Use the parking lot to stage!!!  Would be nice to have an area designated as staging only.  But having so many kayak rental companies using the lot there, it is packed on any nice weekend.  Usually have to park in a few cars to stage, and hope no one is ready to leave while doing it...

The state park needs to force the rental places to use the small craft only launches that is already built.  Like the one at the south shore access area.  Or even the Porters Cove launch that is too shallow for half of the motor boats.  Not sure why the commercial kayak rental places insist on using the launches that are already the busiest, due to being the only ones that can handle boats 15'+.  I understand more parking at these facilities, but maybe they should be like the Yough rental places, that you park on their property and they shuttle you?

I didn't realize that Bear Run pier ever had safety rails.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/17 09:14:14 (permalink)
Full day Saturday on Arthur.  Water started 72 degrees @ 8:30am and finished around 76.  The lake is at least a foot high, maybe a foot and a half.  Fish were all busty somewhere else I guess... worst outing in quite a whole for us.  Handful of bluegills and 4 perch, only one decent one.  Lake was choppy and packed to the gills with sailboaters.  Nothing better than seeing a fricking sail boat anchored in front of shore brush you'd like to fish.  Idiots.  

Threw my net way down in Porter's Cove because I was crazy bored.  Caught 57lbs of weeds, a dozen or so baby bluegills and one baby bass.  That was fun to clean up.  

Met psu_fish at the launch, always nice to see board members out there.  Hope you did better than us.  

Pork I found that 8' net.  Yours if you want it.  Next time you are up North drop me a line and I'll meet you somewhere.  

Two weeks until I get to go out again.  If we get some decent cool weather I might be tempted to hit Wilhelm for some crappies.  If it keeps raining though I'll just stay home.  
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/17 10:19:44 (permalink)
Same here. Was a beautiful day unfortunately spent dodging sailboats, cursing kayaks and messing with a f'ed up trolling motor. Fish? Let's just say the Dead Sea lived up to its name...
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/17 13:06:46 (permalink)
python73
Full day Saturday on Arthur.  Water started 72 degrees @ 8:30am and finished around 76.  The lake is at least a foot high, maybe a foot and a half.  Fish were all busty somewhere else I guess... worst outing in quite a whole for us.  Handful of bluegills and 4 perch, only one decent one.  Lake was choppy and packed to the gills with sailboaters.  Nothing better than seeing a fricking sail boat anchored in front of shore brush you'd like to fish.  Idiots.  

Threw my net way down in Porter's Cove because I was crazy bored.  Caught 57lbs of weeds, a dozen or so baby bluegills and one baby bass.  That was fun to clean up.  

Met psu_fish at the launch, always nice to see board members out there.  Hope you did better than us.  

Pork I found that 8' net.  Yours if you want it.  Next time you are up North drop me a line and I'll meet you somewhere.  

Two weeks until I get to go out again.  If we get some decent cool weather I might be tempted to hit Wilhelm for some crappies.  If it keeps raining though I'll just stay home.  

I wish I could give a better report, but we had a pretty slow day on the lake. I got a surprise Smallmouth way in shallow in a spot I have caught largemouth before.  Was around a 15/16 incher, tried to get photo and quick measure, but he wiggled his way out of the boat. So that was cool to get a good size smallmouth on Arthur. Hit bunch of other spots, my buddy got a nice 17inch largie on the McDaniel's side. We missed a few on top water and in the lily's. I had a smaller largemouth get unbuttoned on a perch colored Shap Rap along the bank near Bear Run as we were fishing our way back in.

Hoping once the water gets into the mid 60s, the fishing turns on. I think I kinda maybe have an idea on what to do when the bass get the fall feed bag on? Been rough learning curve on this lake for me.

My favorite is the rental canoes and yaks that see you fishing in a cove, and proceed to paddle between your boat and the shoreline, total oblivious to the fact you are whipping a lure with hooks. As far as the sailboats, part of me wanted to get into the formation they had, and join in for a few laps. Some were doing circles, others were going straight across the lake, flip around and go right back to where they started.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/18 12:01:25 (permalink)
Definitely dog days of summer fishing right now.  I'm sure there is a pattern that works, but not one that I have found.  Every so often wipers will crush those schools of bait fish, but it is as predictable as lightning strikes.  I haven't seen any pods getting crushed this year, but sure they are happening.  The thing is, they only last for about 30 seconds.  If you are not already on top of that bait pod, then you likely aren't getting anything.  They are fun to watch, but ends up being more frustrating than anything to me.

This week and next week are still staying rather warm.  First week of Oct. looks good, but need a few weeks of that to get the water temps were they will be happy.

Sam - I'll let you know when up next.  Smart move fishing wise is likely 3-4 weeks.  Not sure if I can wait that long though!!!  Work is kicking me in the jimmy, and will until the end of the month at the earliest.  I will NEED to fish sooner than that, regardless if catching anything!!!
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/19 12:44:56 (permalink)
Porktown
I noticed those things at Bear Run at the end of July.  It looked like they had started it a few weeks prior.  I have no idea what they are for?  Hopefully kayak launching. 

I didn't realize that Bear Run pier ever had safety rails.

Yeah, the safety rails were great because I could trust the kids to be up there fishing and have a place to not only thing that rods but also not go tumbling down the rocks. They were designed to be handicap-accessible, so I don't know if this means they've given up on that or not.

Those little cement piers are strange. I wonder if they did them to stop erosion. When you go down on them you notice that they actually jammed small trees into them sticking out into the water! Plus they built a new walkway right above them.

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/20 09:05:58 (permalink)

My 8 year old and I found a few channel cats right before dark last night.  Had some other rods going for other stuff too, but even the bluegills were slow.  

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/20 09:27:31 (permalink)
That’s just great!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/20 11:16:43 (permalink)
Nice catfish nuggets there!  :)

Congrats to your boy on a nice fish.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/20 15:08:38 (permalink)
Summer's last horrah the next few days.  Long term forecast is looking fishtastic!!!  A few weeks until the circus hits Erie, too cold for the average kayaker & paddle boarder and the fish start feeding.  What a bummer the boat rental is closed at the end of September too...  
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/21 08:58:59 (permalink)
Porktown
Summer's last horrah the next few days.  Long term forecast is looking fishtastic!!!  A few weeks until the circus hits Erie, too cold for the average kayaker & paddle boarder and the fish start feeding.  What a bummer the boat rental is closed at the end of September too...  

agreed, let perchtober begin! 

Got Walleye???
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/21 14:54:52 (permalink)
Nice Cat....great smile !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/22 18:40:58 (permalink)
Dave, showed the picture to my better half and she just stood looking, with a big smile.  Great picture and super catch.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I bet a picture of dad's face, would have told quite a story.

After today's weather, I expect we should be seeing more pictures from other anglers..... hellllll-O  Zelie, c'min please.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/22 19:24:48 (permalink)
Glad yinz liked it John.  

Probably be heading there again tomorrow afternoon.  

My older offspring got 3 pike on the fly today with his buddy at Conneaut.  Haven't seen any pics yet though, so not sure I believe him 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/22 20:26:40 (permalink)
Ha ha.... I'm thinkin there might be some pictures to follow.

As for fishing tomorrow, if what they say about pink skies at night holds true...

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

.... yinz will have a stellar day.

Looking forward to those pictures.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/09/22 20:28:33

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/23 21:34:18 (permalink)
That was a good sunset sky Sat. glad you shared it. I wasn't in a good area to enjoy the whole sky line but it looked nice.   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/23 22:04:28 (permalink)
Thanks Brock. Been awhile since I've seen a sunset worth a picture.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 09:18:15 (permalink)
This week looks great for setting up the fall transition.  Is heading out this weekend jumping the gun though?  Boat rentals are still open, warm enough for that last kayak/paddle board trip, and would guess not enough photos of jacks to be sending the circus to Erie yet.  I would imagine fish are in transition, rather than fall pattern, so likely frustrating finding them.  But man, the weekend forecast just looks so nice right now!!!  Too nice to do work around the house that I have been pushing off all summer, being "too hot"...  Ha, ha.  Probably best to catch up on the honey do list, but not sure if I have the will power!!!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 11:21:43 (permalink)
GIT-R-DONE Pork.....  them water temps is droppin faster 'n a smelly baloney samidge at a shore lunch.   70 degree water temps reported a Shenango River Lake today.  Gooder feeshin could last a long time or disapear faster 'n it happened.

Some food for thought, boat rentals might be shutting down but them 'yakers' luvs crusin the water lookin at pretty leaves.  So probably be after Oct. before Zelie hangs up his tub.  I'm thinkin 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 13:32:59 (permalink)
Ha, ha.  Sam's tub better be just getting started for the year!  That thing will be able to get where most boats can't, Perchville!

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 19:38:32 (permalink)
Sam's tub is just waiting for the fall turn!  I'm going to be in the stumps at Willy just loading up on slabs.  This weekend is no good for me though, got a gun bash.  Nother week or two and they'll be hangry where I like to fish.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 21:52:42 (permalink)
Seeeee I told ya, them 'yakers' luvs autumn leaves, on the water.

Not that I blame em.... mind ya.😎

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 22:22:29 (permalink)
Hopefully lifting some perch! I’m all about lifting as many that will fit in my cooler!!! Can’t wait. Going to try using a popping cork this year. Just so you guys don’t make fun of me using a bobber! Usually a good pop will help the bite. Maybe some additional commotion of a popping cork will help?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 22:30:28 (permalink)
"MOI"..... make fun of someone using a bobber. [snicker]
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/09/24 22:31:39

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/24 23:19:31 (permalink)
Arthur perch are actually a tossup between bobbers and bottom.  Once they get warmed up they eat suspended minnows a bit better.  I don't bother getting to the lake early in the fall.  Just a waste of effort.  
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/25 07:35:37 (permalink)
Porktown
Hopefully lifting some perch! I’m all about lifting as many that will fit in my cooler!!! Can’t wait. Going to try using a popping cork this year. Just so you guys don’t make fun of me using a bobber! Usually a good pop will help the bite. Maybe some additional commotion of a popping cork will help?

I think that will work good on gills too. I ve found them to be curious little buggers.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/25 07:49:47 (permalink)
So do pike, although, will take the bobber itself! Not sure if these will do any more than bobbers and likely just more of a pain in the rear to adjust depth. But makes the next trip a bit more exciting, wanting to use something new.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/25 11:56:11 (permalink)
Pork are you talking about using saltwater popping corks?  The kind you'd use for reds and trout if we weren't landlocked away from real fishing?  I've used those before on Arthur with small bluegills and shrimp under them.  And even with 'wives.  Cats and bass will take them but didn't seem to increase hits for me.  Just a heavier bobber for the bait to lug around.  Haven't tried with a minnow for pans but I'm skeptical about them pulling that bobber down.  Bit big and floaty for that.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/25 12:25:33 (permalink)
Sam - I made a few smaller ones.  I know that I can often entice a bite with a good "pop" of a regular bobber.  Whether it is more the pop or the movement of the bait?  I am wondering if the extra commotion would get them any more excited?  Going to give a shot this year.  Like most of my experiments, I have a feeling not worth the effort of making them and pain of adjusting them.  Especially when it gets to be 35-40 degrees out, and fingers stop wanting to work...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/09/25 13:06:11 (permalink)
Balsa slip bobbers. Plastic is OK just not as sensitive to the lite bite.

Just enough weight to take the minnow down yet allow the float to remain flat. Slightest bite gonna stand that sucker up (that would be the bobber... ya hogs)

Minnow head on a a jig to the bottom directly under the rod tip. Move the rod tip up no more than a inch or two. Watch your line where it enters the water as you lower the rod tip, watch for ripples. 1. Ripples mean set the hook. If no fish. 2. You created the ripples dropping your rod tip too fast. Slow down with your presentation. 3. No hits, move your rod a foot or so one way or another. FYI, hold the fishing rod tip at 11:00 o'clock, for starting.

Always, always keep a tight line using a jig. Vertical jigging, you should lower the line just till slack appears indicating the jig is on the bottom (or hitting habitat). Begin by "slowly" picking the rod tip up an inch or two. Drop the rod tip in the same manner, stopping at first sign of slack. (90% of the hits occur when the bait is falling). Slack means you're back on the bottom or a bite has occured.

Always lift the rod tip slowly and feel for weight unless of course you know a strike has occured in which, it's time to rip some lips.

Here's the deal. If the fish hit your slow presentation with aggression then be aggressive. However, fishing aggressively ain't gonna reveal the subtle bite. So fish slowly at first and if you're not catching fish and think you are fishing too slow, then you need to slow down.(as in slow down)

We have all fished over stacked fish and come up with every excuse as to why we were not catching. When in fact, presentation was the problem. (orrr ya got my kinda luck (stupid fish))

It is well substantiated, 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.

We've either been part of or, heard the story. Joe was fishing right beside me using the same bait and Joe caught all the fish.

Now that being said, should your bobber rig produce good fish..... SCREW the jigging..... 10-4??
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/09/25 13:11:32

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Jump to: