Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/08 16:21:50 (permalink)
Honestly, I've never checked my soil ever.
I don't fertilize with commercial chemicals either. I add a few bags of mushroom compost every year before planting, that's about as much as I do. Last time this happened I read, it was calcium so I diluted bone meal and it instantly stopped it.
My brother in law had same issue. Funny him he put calcium tablets in water bottles and stuck them in the ground, it worked too.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/08 20:17:28 (permalink)
Walmart has "Tomatoe Blossom Rot Stop" on line.

Or just add "gypsum" by working into the soil then water. Not recommended to use lime as lime will drastically change the PH.

Blossom end rot is a sign of calcium deficiency in peppers and many other plants too.

Agway has gypsum in 40 pound bags.

Mushroom compost is nothing but a bunch of horse crap...... mixed with sawdust! It sure do make things grow.

Don't know if or how much people pay for the stuff but horse farms, ranches, etc. are looking to get rid of the stuff.

Cold day in hell before I'd pay for a load of Horsecrap. Besides I have enough BS to last a lifetime.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.😋
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/07/08 20:36:24

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/08 20:50:53 (permalink)
I have been lucky only dealt with bloom rot   once and used the spray mentioned above with moderate effect.  I prefer spreading manure in the garden in the fall and tilling it or plowing it under but more often then not do it in the spring with no issues other than it can get a little clumpy and does not have as much time to break down.  We got 400 bales today and we have only 1/2 Lot left then I can start doing things on the weekend again. Had multiple breakdowns today. Hay wrapped around rake causing 1 hour delay, bottom hose clamp rusted off truck and puked all the coolant out. Dad went to get his newish truck and when we got half a load on smoke started coming from hood. Seems the air conditioning compressor locked up and shredded the belt .  Hood thing it is going it tomorrow for a ''Service trailer brake system'' tomorrow. 2 weeks till the warranty is up so kind of lucky it broke now. Power then went out for several hours meaning I had to use the genny to power the elevator

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/10 19:59:59 (permalink)
I said that and went out last night and had a few with it. Sprayed the spray on them. We are having a raccoon war here I have got 6 out of the barn in the last week. Got the big chuck last night too, who would of thunk, but I got him in a fox set trap. It was baited with rotten chicken, thought they only ate veggies???????? Have also lost 2 traps in the last week, both times pulled a 16 inch stake from the ground. At 10$ a pop not happy

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/10 21:20:17 (permalink)
Im about ready to load the truck with empty rain barrels and take the 1/4 mile trip to the creek for garden water.
My plants do not like chlorinated town water .

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/11 00:32:43 (permalink)
Sorry I can't do sumthin about the rain for yinz fellers.

But I'm ready to start helpin with them pesky critters like woodchucks. At least help the folks in my little piece of Penn's Woods.

Had some spare time and a bit of flat stock layin around so I heated a piece and beat it then twisted it and twerked it before drilling it and beating it some more.
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Then I fitted it and made it stick to an old swivel chair where I attached a post with a 'V' looking thing-a-ma-bob at the top.

Only need to fit my "carry all" with a beach umbrella, place the chair on the platform, grab my gun and down the road I go.

So be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting pesky garden varmints

Good luck getting a good ground soaker guys and getting that "blossom rot" under control too.

Watch out for that stupid "powdery mildew" also. That stuff loves hot humid weather to destroy pumpkins' squash, and cukes.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/07/11 00:39:14

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/11 13:13:47 (permalink)
Well done.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/11 18:58:26 (permalink)
I side dressed the corn and will doe the rest this weekend I'm tired

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/12 18:52:41 (permalink)
Jalapenos are ready, bunch pickle cukes too. I'll harvest sat or Sunday so I can pickle and can them.
About 6 ripe tomatoes, bunch of beans and dehydrating herbs everyday .
Last of peas ,lettuce and spinach got harvested.
Started another patch for a later harvest

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/12 19:15:44 (permalink)
You got an earlier start than me, I have got a few squash and peppers. Everything else is just starting to flower up and from fruit. Just put the scapes off my garlic too

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/12 20:15:00 (permalink)
I couldn't wait on the pickling cukes.
Found a bunch hiding and many more to come by Sunday. These will keep till then.
1 straight 8 that was ready

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/14 15:33:30 (permalink)
What the heck !! We just got litterley 5 mins of rain. I put out as many barrels and pails as I could find to capture. Hopefully more comes back.
My morning consisted of 6 truckloads free firewood.
Had help on 2 , gave away 1.
I'm cutting for next season at this point. Reality is, gotta get it while the getting is there since it's roadside and free.
Just a bit of what I picked today. Tomorrow is a heavy canning and pickling day. Garlic is awesome and that will just keep coming as wanted.
Herbs of course run through the dehydrator daily.
I will pick and blanch the rest of my summer beans as well tomorrow until the next rotation comes.
Pigs are huge. Im sure they are in the 150 plus pound range now. Can't wait until colder weather arrives so we can begin the process.
My son just got 24 meat chickens, along with his already 24 egg chickens.
It's going to be a very busy fall here.
My best shot at the SR salmon run will be your September date Jack.

Have fun in the garden and farming folks.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/14 19:03:40 (permalink)
One 15 minute shower that's it. Indo have some beans and some very small cukes.  Of course yellow squash and zucs too. Corn is starting to tassel and its not tall enough, that's bad news

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 00:10:42 (permalink)
It's HERE ! Rain rain , we need rain.
Out and about tonight. Hanging at a local spot a few miles from house and it just started a nice real steady rain.
Thanks Jack, I'll take credit for the dancing
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/07/15 00:25:52

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 10:30:01 (permalink)
We got a little here, enough to put about a gallon in each of my rain buckets.  corn it stunted all around from what I see around, gonna be a tough year canning wise.  I have beans a broccoli also upon further review

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 10:35:44 (permalink)
I had a number of gully washers throughout the night but we need more.  Thank goodness for the hydroponic system I have set up for my tomato and pepper plants because it concentrates my water usage to the reservoirs for each individual plant thereby limiting waste. 

I highly recommend this type of system because it saves time tilling, weeding, feeding and watering while the plants thrive.  Five gallon buckets, rubber grommets, pex pipe and a growing media is all you need to get started. 
post edited by troutbum21 - 2018/07/15 10:41:44
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 11:15:54 (permalink)
We are FINALLY getting some rain this morning,but we need a couple days of steady rain and hope we get it for the local farms.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 12:30:05 (permalink)
Happy to hear yinz getting a bit of relief from the dry spell. Really sucks to lose all your hard work because of little to no rain.

Troutbum, I tried a form of hydroponic gardening, using plastic milk jugs. Placed screen over the spout end, cut out the bottom, painted the container to control mold/mildew/etc. Inverted the jug into a shallow tray of water (my tray holds 6 jugs) filled with dirt and planted with seed and starts.

Lot of fun and worked nicely for lettuce, cukes, and the tomatoes did well until the early blight hit em. Herbs grow really well too. Great for a "porch garden" and the set-up can be found on YouTube.

In other news, along with gardening comes the bugs. Some good, some bad and some interesting.

Opened my garage door yesterday to find this dude hanging around. The picture really does not do the moth justice. To get an idea of the actual size, look at the palm of your hand.

Enjoy your gardens and may you be blessed with a bountiful harvest.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/07/15 14:02:37

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 12:57:20 (permalink)
Two nights in a row of staying out past 2am so things are moving a little slow here today . Don't know how I'm able to do this at my age but I live life like there's no tomorrow, lol.
Anyway, my garden isn't faring as well as i hoped for this season. Seems by diluting the bone meal and pouring it around the stems of my tomato plants has made an instant improvement on bottom blossom rot. While I can't turn back the ones to far gone, at least now 95% of my tomatoes are looking really good and healthy. Think I'm gonna mix another batch to pour in.
My zucchini is putrid, I have only 2 good vegetables that have come from my 12 plants. Lots of flowers that start to produce but they instantly turn to rot and fall off. Haven't been able to figure out why. To much water , not enough or is there a disease problem ? Thoughts ?
Out of 6 raspberry, 6 blackberry and 24 strawberry plants only 2 blackberry plant's survived. Pizz poor ratio.
3 peach trees, only 1 looks healthy. The other 2 look dead. 4 Apple trees, 2 are 6 year planted, 2 are 2 years planted. I have yet to see any sign of a fruit. Will say though, the deer wreak havoc on them so I'm not sure how to protect them without putting up a large fence around them . Not something I want to do .
On the bright side,
My 30 tomato plants have a lot of tomatoes, goal is at least 30 quarts of sauce but I need them to ripen at the same time, without bottom rot.
Garlic came out awesome. For sure I will double or triple my planting this fall. Cucumbers are really producing well. I'm gonna have pickles coming out my ears. That's fine because they store well.
Peppers are looking good , jalapenos always do well but I never get my hopes up on the bell peppers. They never seem to get any size to them, we shall see.
Horseradish is cranking, wife won't be happy once I start stinking up the house this fall.
Didn't do any cabbage products this year. My Brussels go infested with cabbage worms and bugs last year so I figured I'd skip anything related this season until I can start a controlled grow in a different area.

Gerry,
Your system seems fantastic. Once I build the greenhouse that the system I will use.
My problem now is my water sucks. It's got to much chlorine. I mainly rely on rain or my rain barrels for water as much as possible.
Once the greenhouse is in place I will have a large water container with a pump to supply and recycle the system.

Ok, time to start canning

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 16:31:16 (permalink)
And so it begins.
Canned 7 jars of garlic dill pickles and 3 jars of peppers today. Couldn't find my big canning pot so I could only do 5 jars at a time
Bread and butter & sweet pickles next.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 18:14:08 (permalink)
I usually do not ''can'' my pickles. Anything with that much vinegar I just do the hot pack method and they seal up fine and last. Just dump the boiling brine over them and seal finger tight

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/15 20:15:57 (permalink)
Think that large moth may be the kind that is frequent in grape vineyards.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/17 17:18:48 (permalink)
Clint S
I usually do not ''can'' my pickles. Anything with that much vinegar I just do the hot pack method and they seal up fine and last. Just dump the boiling brine over them and seal finger tight

After reading your reply Clint, I was worried by canning them they might be mushy.
They we not at all , nice crisp and tasty. We ate the whole jar last night.

Just picked two colanders full . Doing bread and butter on this run.
Spicy jalapeno pickles on next run , probably this weekend.

Time to make the pickles 😀

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/19 10:59:10 (permalink)
Yesterday was cranking the music of Lukas Nelson and bread & butter pickles 😀.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/19 21:01:33 (permalink)
Sorry I keep talking to myself.
Bread and butter pickles were awesome.
Another jar done gone tonight. Son in law polished off jar 2 of garlic dill pickles .
Gives me a few more empty jars to use.
Sunday I should be doing a bunch more of garden harvesting. Picking berries, making jams ,canning , blanching, freezing, dehydrating and smoking. I need to till some more ground also to prepare for next year's garlic. Going big.
Wood pile is very set and I'm just gaining on 2019-20 season.

Life is good here except I forgot what fishing is ..

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/20 10:52:58 (permalink)
Fishing?????? that's what you do to get fish from the water.....right??
I probaly won't do that untill Sept.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/20 18:39:44 (permalink)
Me too, I probably won't get out until an August trip to Ontario for eyes. My cakes are not doing well the turkeys got into them. Probably by from the Amish to make mine. Got some beans broccoli and coliflower tonight too. Got another chuck with a lucky shot. Was riding out back to check my traps and the little bastard popped up. Got him at 30 yards with the Glock. Lucky shot as I can't hit the broad side of anything over 15 yards lol

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/20 20:20:51 (permalink)
I picked off a couple of woodchucks with my pellet gun using my ground blind.  Set up the blind about 20 yards from their hole.   
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/20 21:06:01 (permalink)
You guys jinxed me, or i did myself.
Found a fresh Chuck hole under shed when I moved some firewood. Heard rustling as well.
I don't mess around. If I see it, 20 gauge pop.
Tomato plants tall and heavy. Outgrew the cages and stakes . Tied them up some more.
Doing jerky and more pickles tomorrow as well as working on the smokehouse.
Maybe firewood in rain on Sunday.

Enjoy life on the garden and farming folks.

SR notes:
I doubt I'll be on the lake this year.
Hope it's not a drought fall river run.
If its the case, probably won't be there until winter 2019.
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/07/20 21:07:08

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/21 13:00:04 (permalink)
I hooked the winch on the tractor and yanked out my wood to the landing. That thing is a lifesaver as far the amount of work it saves me. I have 11 chickens and only 2 of them are laying consistently. I can tell because I have two white leg horns and almost always get two white eggs a day. So I have nine chickens giving me only one or two eggs a day, not worth it. 4 are only a year old so they should still be good. Six are probably 2 so I should be getting more. The laying stopped when it got hot and I introduced the turkeys in??????   I also hive a few they lay thin shelled eggs so I put some calcium out???????

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 56
Jump to: