STH Cr Pop cassette Reels

Author
Sunset_Slayer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/12 17:22:49 (permalink)

STH Cr Pop cassette Reels

Whats the deal with the Casette pop no Extra Spools is it quality made anyone own a cassette reel willing to fill me in im lookin to buy my first fly reel i have a couple in mind if anyone can help me decide?
  STH Cr pop 678 or STH cayuga LA3

4 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: STH Cr Pop cassette Reels 2008/02/12 19:14:17 (permalink)
    I know Castbyfly used to use them.
    Maybe he'll chime in.
    They seemed like a decent reel to me.  
    Nice concept for the cassette. I'm surprised other manufacturers never followed suit.

Gone Fishing
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: STH Cr Pop cassette Reels 2008/02/12 19:55:07 (permalink)
    I own a couple of the earlier cassette models and have used them for salmon,bluefish and bonefish. The only major issue was he cassettes would crack, your need to the manuf. to see if this problem has been fixed. The cracks did not affect the reels use, they were like hair line in size.
    ORIGINAL: Sunset_Slayer

Whats the deal with the Casette pop no Extra Spools is it quality made anyone own a cassette reel willing to fill me in im lookin to buy my first fly reel i have a couple in mind if anyone can help me decide?
    STH Cr pop 678 or STH cayuga LA3

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: STH Cr Pop cassette Reels 2008/02/13 12:00:59 (permalink)
    The CR Pop Cassette is one of STH's good reels. I wouldn't worry about the cassette breaking. Maybe 1 in 1,000 actually do. And if so, just return it to STH and have it replaced for free.

The newly designed cassette reels, like the Cortland Endurance Cassette, or the European models that Hardy, Vision, Loop (I believe)...etc. have, are more modern and are made with better materials. Look into them as well.

The cassettes are not cheap and chincy. You can stand on them with no problems. The system works great. You can go from casting a #16 sulfur to stripping streamers on a #6 sink tip in 5 minutes.

Michael Foreman
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: STH Cr Pop cassette Reels 2008/02/13 13:03:11 (permalink)
    I have a STH Cayuga LA, that is my main go to reel for steelhead as I fish it on a 7wt.  For the price, you can not beat them.  There a smooth and fast reel.  Drag is great on them, I personally love the reel.  You can find them for $100 right now, I know gander mountain has them on clearance, I think they usually run $150.  Krott

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Jump to: