Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2018/02/21 11:03:25 (permalink)

Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring

After much research and pondering, I've decided on a kayak option that should work for me.  I am a BIG dude, so I can't just get a Field and Stream special and go kayak fishing.  Plus I like my gear, which adds weight.  That put me in the 14+ foot super expensive jobbers.  And worse, I'm not even sure I can sit in a kayak all day, let along function fishing.  

Solution:  https://roundaboutwatercrafts.com/  The fat man's answer to kayaking.  And perfect for the fishing I do at Arthur.  In fact perfect for 3/4 of the lake.  Just to go the extra research mile, I drove to their shop a couple weeks back while we were in Tampa and actually test rode in one.  Wanted to see how it handled my size, and how tippy it was, how much room for gear, etc.  

It was very stable, and very comfortable with a full fishing seat.  TONS of room... minnow bucket, tackle bag and small cooler will be no problem.  Lots of in deck storage, but that isn't super easy to access on the water.  I see myself putting emergency stuff there, like life vest and rain gear.  Couple of rod holders and it will be perfect shallow water fishing machine!  Plus the price is less than half of a comparable fishing kayak.  

I wonder though... do I have to wear a vest?  Outside the cold water window (clearly I'd have to have a vest Nov-Apr or whatever that reg is for under 16' boats) I think kayakers HAVE to.  But this is technically not a kayak.    Will have to research.  At worst I'll get an inflatable.  

11 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 11:38:19 (permalink)
    Certainly is a different sort of boat, kayak, canoe,  rub-a-dub-dub-tub???    You say you test drove one and felt comfortable using it and it's cheaper than a yak?   Go for it but, I do wonder if you end up not liking it, what about resale?  Than again, something like that could catch on and you become the first retail outlet in the area.  Who Knew??

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 11:53:30 (permalink)
    I figure I can always craigslist it for a loss.  Story of all boats!  :|
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 12:07:55 (permalink)
    Lol imagine the cake batter you could mix in that beetch

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 13:24:27 (permalink)
    Why don't you just go this route and remove a seat.
    https://www.sundolphin.com/fishing-boats-and-dinghys/

Heck you can get 3 of them for the price of that bowl.

Also outside the cold weather window wearing a life vest is option-able except on certain waters
    post edited by fishin coyote - 2018/02/21 15:41:19

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 14:14:13 (permalink)
    Mike I don't know about anybody else but I clicked your Walmart link and got a "page not available".

Two things I can attest for Zelie, 1.  He is a riot to fish with and 2,  He is not kidding about his size.

BTW Zelie, no way in hell am I gonna visit ya at Arthur and go fishing with ya on that thing!!!   Just thought I'd mention that.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 15:44:12 (permalink)
    I can't get the link to work   You'll just have to google it 

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 15:48:38 (permalink)
    fishin coyote
    Why don't you just go this route and remove a seat.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphin-2-Man-Sportsman-Fishing-Boat

That thing is $1200.  And:  Weight: 160 lbs / Capacity: 469 lbs
    Roundabout is $1200 shipped.  And:  Weight: 110 lbs / 674 pounds before gear

That extra 50lbs is a big deal for putting it in a truck bed or rolling it onto a hitch carrier.  Also I have to sit in the front or back of that, and the molded compartments are just going to be in my way.  I've actually researched just about all of the choices in this market.  I was impressed with the twin troller, but the price tag is crazy.  More than my boat!  Same with some of those big kayaks like propel slayer or hobie pro angler.  I looked at john boats, small pontoons, you name it.  I loved the little personal pontoons, but I'd have to tow them.  John boats are tippy and have very little freeboard.  Which is why I sold that 14' bass boat.  This thing has very specific goals: throw in the truck or hitch carrier solo, launch solo, putt around in the weedbeds and catch some panfish.  

BTDT - I still have the 'nymph.  Whenever you are ready.  :)  In fact, I'm fairly certain you turned me down last season!  The rejection was tough to deal with.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 15:54:43 (permalink)
    I think I found the one he meant.  $500 gray jobber.  That's actually a better boat for me, with these stats:  Weight: 100 lbs / 
      Capacity: 550 lbs.  But those chairs aren't super comfortable.  Could probably make it work about the same.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/21 19:16:40 (permalink)
    fishin coyote
    I can't get the link to work   You'll just have to google it 

Stupid link.

Zelie I promise you, if you can find it in that big heart of yours to extend another invitation. I'll do my best to come down to Arthur and show you how to catch fish.😄

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/23 20:30:28 (permalink)
    Zelie, I'm 6'5 300lbs lol I picked up a Jackson Big Rig. This thing is amazing. Not sure what your price range is, but it was well worth the price for me. Its big... as the name says, and about 100lb's with no gear. Loading in a truck bed isn't bad. 

I purchased mine from a shop in delaware that charges no taxes, and shipping was only $99!

http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com/jackson-big-rig-2017/

Attached Image(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Picked out a (sort of) kayak for this spring 2018/02/23 21:34:45 (permalink)
    Mercy sakes Zelie you would look good in that Yak, can't beat no tax and $99.00 shipping.

The funner part would be, I could come over to fish and tow you around with the Nymph. Super!!👍😄

Jump to: