Author
ged
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/23 19:24:20 (permalink)

Tackle, Tools, Methods

Hello,

New to the board.  Work has me in PA about half the time, and Erie is a place I will be spending time. I fished fresh water seriously for a few years before converting to surfcasting saltwater. 

I have looked through some older threads to learn more about the methods and tackle that are successful in the area, specifically steelhead.  I am confident that the equipment I already have will cover SMB, LMB, walleye, etc.

I have also watched some videos on the well known areas for steelhead. It intrigues me to see 4W fly rods built as spinning for steelhead.  Also, the use of 2-4lb fluorocarbon for fish is also a big difference.  Even when I fish for albacore I am using 20lb leader.

I am looking forward to a new kind of fishing.  I have waders, korkers, and I have built custom rods for 18 years, so I am looking forward to a new build for steelhead in the tributaries.

So my question is, what is your favorite rod and why? (What application?)

Gary

Attached Image(s)

ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/24 13:11:44 (permalink)
For example,  if I were giving advice on the tackle where I fish (Surf fishing the Northeast) I would say:

Lamiglas SS1201M for 2-3oz popper, pencils and glide baits in inlets. 30-40lb braid to 40-50lb leader 2-4' in length to control fish.

Lamiglas XRA1205 for 2-4oz bucktails in inlet currents. 50-65lb braid to 40lb leader 3' (The leader is what you want to fail if your jig hangs up)

Lamiglas XRA1203 (cut 12" from the butt) for eels in bolder fields.  30lb braid and 30lbleader

Old School Lamiglas SB1213M (Honey Lami) with Release (Truth/Seigler) SM conventional for heavy bucktails or bait.

Albies - XRA1203 (full size - so better low end range) with 30lb braid and 20lb leader.

I am not concerned about reel options, because I have plenty of quality equipment with smooth reliable drags.  I am more interested in rod choice for specific applications.  It is normal for me to bring 3 rods to the cape cod canal each with a specific application, and I would prefer to have purpose built tools for the job.
post edited by ged - 2018/01/24 13:45:43
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/24 16:28:59 (permalink)
I have a preference for a parabolic, slower action rod.  This is why I am intrigued by building a 10' 4W fly rod for the tributaries. I am not sure how this type of rod may affect the ability to feel a subtle strike.  I also don't know how important strike indication may be for a jig fishing versus floating some an egg. With a float it seems like more sight fishing (actually seeing the strike), or reacting to the float.

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/24 17:05:11 (permalink)
4wt is on the light side of you ask me. 6wt might make a nice float rod for the streams. I use a 10' 7wt fly rod, 10'6" light and 9' medium action spin rods. Slower action on the 7wt and light spin help protect light leader/tippet. I like a faster medium rod for throwing spoons at the lake shore. I use 8 or 10 lb leader attached to braid throwing spoons in the lake. As far as specific brand and model rods go, I won't make a suggestion as I feel your taste in rods is a bit more refined than mine. Most trib fishing I do is pretty visual. The streams are low and clear more often than not. I wouldn't be too concerned about detecting light strikes with the rod. You can often times see them take your offering, if not, you're usually using an indicator/float that you can watch. If you're fishing a jig or lure, they usually hammer it pretty good. So no need for extreme sensitivity there either.
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/24 17:26:28 (permalink)
Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. 

My choices in surf rods are almost pre-historic on the North East.  Lamiglas, a great American company has fallen out of favor and replaced by foreign manufactures in the surf. These foreign rods are more expensive than the domestic Lamiglas.

I have old diawa inshore (circa 1997) 7' 1 piece rod (1/4-5/8) that I absolutely love.  It has been an excellent LMB, SMB and schoolie striper rod.  It should work well for casting at the lake, albeit a little light for large fish.  A smooth drag should help minimize any issues with this lighter rod. I considered this for the tributaries, but the short length may be a disadvantage with line control.

A longer light surf blank may actually be a serviceable option, but may not be as favorable as a fly blank.  The fly blank also gives me 2 and 4 piece options.

For surf I almost exclusively use 10' 1 piece rods, which makes transport a challenge.

I assume your 7W fly rod is a fly rod, and not a conversion.  I am not opposed to getting into fly, my curiosity for fly fishing has never been satisfied. This will be my 3rd season without serious shoulder pain after many tough years, and the thought of false casting has always discouraged me.

I have always fished "lighter" than the norm, but the norm in the tributaries is very light.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 02:22:03 (permalink)
Man...I’ve seen em caught with a Barbie rod!

I don’t even know what half the stuff you said was, but don’t overthink it. Duuds catch em on just about anything. 10 foot noodle rods with 6lb flouro have always been fun for me. Light jigs, floating eggs, drifting flies all can be done with a noodle spin combo.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 07:51:16 (permalink)
OCD - I overthink everything. 

Anyone can show up once and catch a big fish, or shoot a big buck in the rut, but to be successful consistently requires an attention to detail that is different.  Also, I believe confidence is the most important thing in fishing and hunting, if you have confidence you wake up earlier, stay engaged and stay later.  When I mark my tide chart in January for May, June and July I "know" the days I will be into big fish (based on moon, tide & time).  I assume Erie anglers have a good idea of when their fish will show up and where.

"Places" are not important to me (at this time), for a few reasons:

1) It is much more rewarding to find your own fish
2) No one is going to share real information for anyone to see
3) No reason to spot burn

"Gear and techniques" - Now this is important.  This week I am 6 hours away and I have time to research, and put together some gear to maximize my time in the field. The techniques are quite different and I need to acquire some new stuff and a system for storing the stuff that is efficient.

I try to be a minimalist with gear ("plugs" in the surf).  I bring what I plan to use, with minimal redundancy. With a "canal bike" or trike in my case we pack extra rods built to present different plugs with very specific applications. (Surf rods are like golf clubs, each with a specific application)

Another thought on gear.  Quality gear usually minimizes issues associated with inferior gear.  By using better gear you are managing more variables.  In the salt, this may matter more to due the corrosive nature, but as a rule, I tried to get the best equipment I can.  

Here is my plan so far:

1) rod for out in front of the lake.  For this I intend to use the 7' Diawa inshore rod with 2500 size reel.  20lb braid - 10 fluorocarbon (This may prove to be too heavy for leader, but less than 20lb running braid can cut your finger badly.

2) tribs - This is the big question mark.  for floating skinny water and narrow streams will 1 rod be enough?  This has been the trend in videos - long rod to control line, soft action to prevent pulling hooks and breaking light leader.

When I have seen "noodle" rods in my travels, I associate them with people fishing for crappie.  Maybe this was an inaccurate assumption.

I agree that you can catch on a Barbie rod, but I would assume the probability of landing the fish increase tremendously if you have the "right" gear. To me, gear describes an overall system.  The tools to get to the fish safely, present your bait, set the hook, play and land your fish. 

Almost 8am - time for work.  I appreciate your feedback.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 08:06:42 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby ged 2018/01/25 17:15:18
Welcome...my choice is 8-10 ft light noodle rod and spinning reel I use floats and egg sacs mostly.
Most of the water is small and crowded at times but the steelhead are fun and it can be addictive when you figure things out.
Gud luck its a great area to live if you hunt and fish...WCW
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 09:09:05 (permalink)
Ged, you may be confusing a noodle rod with a cane pole. Noodle rod refers to a long, light powered, slow to moderate action rod, typically a spinning rod in our area. https://www.fishusa.com/L...Not-Just-for-Steelhead
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 13:28:35 (permalink)
If you want to come over to the dark side a 10' 7wt. rod with any quality reel,a little floro tippet and you can be flinging fleas...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 15:40:31 (permalink)
Welcome Jed where were the pics taken in your post?
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 17:24:15 (permalink)
rmcmillen:

The striper is from the cape cod canal, no spot burn there. 7 miles of fishing on the mainland side, and 7 miles on the cape cod side.  Roughly 70% of these fish migrate annually from the Chesapeake Bay.  Some fish swim up around the cape and head North and West, some head through the canal. Every year is different (every day is different).  Last season was exceptional,  one night last July I caught 5 fish over 50" and 3 over 50lbs on 60lb boga. 50lb is a lifetime achievement. Took me almost 20 years of fishing there regularly to get one, and I get three on one tide.

The albie is from some rocks in Rhode Island known as the most dangerous place to fish in the country (avoid spot burn).  Many people are rescued here every year, and unfortunately some don't make it out.  If you go in, you need to swim AWAY from the rocks and wait for help.  Easier said than done. 
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 17:25:26 (permalink)
Fishing
FishinGuy
Ged, you may be confusing a noodle rod with a cane pole. Noodle rod refers to a long, light powered, slow to moderate action rod, typically a spinning rod in our area.

You are 100% correct.  cane pole is what I was thinking.

ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 17:30:47 (permalink)

workcanwait....
Welcome...my choice is 8-10 ft light noodle rod and spinning reel I use floats and egg sacs mostly.
Most of the water is small and crowded at times but the steelhead are fun and it can be addictive when you figure things out.
Gud luck its a great area to live if you hunt and fish...WCW

I travel too much for work, but I take advantage of fishing and hunting opportunities.  In four weeks I will be in Daytona Beach for work, surfcasting from the rocks at Ponce Inlet for red drum and blue fish.

I am looking forward to fishing Erie.
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 17:39:44 (permalink)
bingsbaits
If you want to come over to the dark side a 10' 7wt. rod with any quality reel,a little floro tippet and you can be flinging fleas...

I admire fly fishing, I have a few early season schoolie spots that would be fly heaven. I had a few nice reels I acquired and traded away a few years back.  If I had known that my shoulder would have improved I would have held on to that gear.

I took up boxing a few years ago, and the training has increased my shoulder strength and eliminated the daily pain.  It was so bad, I would drive 75 miles each way, and only cast a dozen times due to the pain.

I have an 18 year old son who is bigger than me, the boxing training will help if he wants to challenge me to become the dominant male in the house!
pheasant tail 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/25 22:50:31 (permalink)
6wt 10 footer is my preference. Late winter, early spring can be fantastic fishing. Soon the hoovers will arrive and smolts will be stocked.

PT2
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/26 09:22:03 (permalink)
I picked up archery deer hunting 10 years ago, I miss fishing the fall run.  Now I fish very little until Mid/late May when the Striper return.  I am looking forward to more fishing, not sure If I can shake off this hunting bug.

Attached Image(s)

ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/26 09:35:17 (permalink)
pheasant tail 2
6wt 10 footer is my preference. Late winter, early spring can be fantastic fishing. Soon the hoovers will arrive and smolts will be stocked.

PT2

I will be in town for a short visit next week.  More of a scouting/recon mission before and after work.  Looking forward to get feet on the ground and eyes on the water. 
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/26 17:34:42 (permalink)
Back when my Daughter was in college R.I. I did fish a few times from the coast , amazing scenery and sights, schools of I think Blues forcing baitfish to the surface and the water just erupts the size of a football field thrashing white and with birds dropping out of the sky , I did have something hit a crab on a rod propped in a crack on the granite shore. That fish stripped line off like I had hooked a ski boat just at the west end of the Jamestown Bridge.It cut my 30 LB leader off just above the circle hook? Wife and I have put away some $$$ for a charter in that region when we are in Haverhill Ma. to visit . Do you have any suggestions of a good charter for cod, haddock, tuna ect. Thanks 
ged
New Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/01/26 17:49:18 (permalink)
Mcmillen,

I am not too familiar with Haverhill, however my company does have an office there and I have seen LARGE striped bass (30lb+) up the river right downtown.  I have fished the mouth of the Merrimack several times, beautiful place.  Plum Island MA.

I don't boat fish, but fishing from shore was so good last season commercial rod and reel guys parked their boats and were fishing at the canal (shore only).  If you let me know when you are visiting I can give you good shore fishing information. 

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
Re: Tackle, Tools, Methods 2018/02/02 06:49:12 (permalink)
Is that at Sailsberry Beach ? Thank You ged
post edited by rmcmillen09 - 2018/02/04 10:44:25
Jump to: