Gear review

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Gear review 2018/01/18 21:24:23 (permalink)
HT, check out the Penn Fierce II 6000 LL (live liner) reels on Jet.com, price point is good (better with quantity discount).
I have two 4000 LL but have yet to try them.  I compared this reel to the Okuma's and thought the Penn's were a lot smoother.    
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Gear review 2018/01/19 16:35:48 (permalink)
That's the 1 I'm looking at in size 60 . Why no size in between 40 and 60 ? I'm thinking a 60 will be huge but may try 1. What's another hundred to toss down the drain , ugh.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gear review 2018/01/20 12:50:47 (permalink)
My maiden voyage with my new pop up hub style ice shelter..... "I LOVE IT"!!!  Ummm sorry, I thought I was doing one of those HGTV "House Hunter" reality shows.  BUT WAIT,  how about BTDT's "Ice Shanty Hunter" reality show???

Well perhaps I should get back to reality and just say, I do like the hub style pop up.  Mine is the 3 man and there is plenty of room inside for gear and two people to fish comfortably.  Not sure that would hold up with three people fishing even without the gear.  As for setting up/tearing down and storing the unit back in the bag, I had no problem.  Even the ice anchors were screwed into the ice with little difficulty, without the use of a drill motor and adapter.  I'm sure most all brands of ice shanty's could be set-up ect, using the same trick I learned, including transporting the equip. to and from the sight. It's a very simple process known as "take a buddy fishing"..... priceless.

OK back to the review but if you think I get bad on the forum, ya oughta try a day in a ice hut with me!!!

I found having two doors to be a plus, letting either angler enter/exit without stepping on each others fishing rods or being run over as one angler sees the flag on his tip-up.  Doors are sizable for ease of entrance/exit and have 'hook & loop' (Velcro is a patented name) tabs to keep the door flaps open.  Exxxxcept, my brand of shack installed the tabs midway on the doors which, in wind, allows half of the door to "flap in the breeze" and believe it not, is more annoying than me.

My model is not insulated but that did not seem to be a major factor in keeping toasty.  However it was a beautiful brite and sunny day and you could feel the heat radiating through the wall, keeping it warm enough to allow the door flaps to remain full open (and flapping)  in a fairly brisk and cold wind.

Even with the door flaps closed there is plenty of light coming through the 4 sizable windows or if one prefers, the windows can be closed using the flaps fitted with 'hook & loop' straps.  Keeping it dark inside, will come in handy when I'll need to catch a nap after dragging all this stuff, then setting it up on the ice by myself, because my friends quit going ice fishing with me.

Plenty of head room to stand up and stretch, don/doff additional clothing and even for some to do 'running in place' while trying to get a hook out of their finger.

Weight wise I found transporting the shack (when folded in the carrying bag) using the shoulder straps to be relatively easy as the unit weighs less than 18 pounds.  Keeping in mind that my shelter is non-insulated and I am parked within 10 feet of the ice over fish-able water or, have a buddy along for his first time.  Moving the unit to another location on the same ice is no problem as long as you keep hold of a leash attached to your hut and you plan to move with the direction of the wind.  While that works, exercise caution on the distance you travel, it does suck waiting for the wind direction to change so ya can get back to the car.

Finally, I would recommend the purchase of this shelter to anyone that would be interested in going this route.  However, that being said ect, ect. it's not necessarily the mfg but, the style and operation of the shanty's I am impressed with.  Personally, my next shanty will be by any mfg that makes the stupid bag, big enough to repack the thing.  

With that, I would also echo the recommendations by others on this subject.... practice, practice, practice 'BEFORE' hitting the ice and, it might not hurt to read the instructions, first!

Stayed tuned, I gotta a duzy of a review on my home made stupid Lag screw anchors and how not to buy a drill adapter for ice anchors.
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met ⬅Made it myself.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/20 13:26:40

Attachment(s)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/20 14:04:49 (permalink)
Some yinz might remember my 'icecapades' using lag screws and fender washers for anchors in the ice.  Well forget the "Jet Weld" when attaching the washers to the screws or maybe I just didn't use enough of the stuff to keep the fenders in place.  But anyways, the lags I used would not continue threading into the ice but would blowout large bulls-eye of ice chunks.  So that was that, but I think a few alterations to the tips of the screws as in self tapping may help in that area.   Anyways, using a 1/4" masonry bit (because it is carbide) I pre-drilled a hole into the ice the length of the bit.  I then drove the lag screws into the ice with little difficulty and was able to extract them using the drill in reverse.  Keep in mind, screwing the lags full in may cause a situation where one may need leave his anchored device until spring thaw so leave some of the screw exposed, to assist with 'lifting' as one attempts backing out the lags.

Even more funner, I hand threaded the included ice anchors (using one finger) until the anchors bottomed out then finishing with a few more twist by hand.  That my friends was and is priceless as those ice anchor drill adapters one can buy are far more expensive (and I hear can be a PITA) than a cheap masonry bit.  I aim to find out if a twist bit or a paddle bit might work better pre-drilling the ice but also, a longer bit may be more helpful......  that's what she said, but anyways.

Good times, tight lines and a big heart-felt thank you to those who have submitted helpful advice.

PS.   recommendation of the week goes to Outasync for his recommendation to stow a few coat hangers.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2018/01/20 19:06:44 (permalink)
I have the Clam style in that size and wish it had two doors. Two are great threes a crowd for people . Barely room for the heater with 3.  The ice was soft today hence the easy screw in. I forgot my drill and had no issues screwing my anchors in either.   It was 75 in there with the heater on high in mine today.

My review on the Rapala cordless knife is that I am well over 100 fish filleted and no charging yet. I am sure as the battery gets older it will decrease. No cords no hassles. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/20 19:39:21 (permalink)
Thanks to your reviews Clint I got that fillet knife on my Valentines Day gift list.  I just hope my wife doesn't like it and gives it to me.  Which she probably will give me something, I'm sure,  just hope it ain't  'upside my head'.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/21 18:59:44 (permalink)
2 screw l bent yesterday.
Today we didn't have to put any in . Yesterday put 8 out. The guy line screws bent.
Thumbs down to the ht coated screws at about $8.00 per 2 pack. While they are the easiest i have used going in , Seems I go through 2-4 a season being bent

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/21 19:45:09 (permalink)
HT that sucks with a capital sucks.   I tried a twist bit for pre-drilling today and the bit sank right into the ice.  Didn't need my shanty today except maybe stay to out of the fog which is the case even on a sunny day with me.  Pretty cool when the fog started getting a bit thick but I wasn't worried, I had my trusty cell phone to guide me back to my vehicle if need be.

On a more serious note, I use minnows quite a bit so I have three air pumps that I use for aerating the minnow buckets and/or my live well when the boat is parked in the garage.   The biggest is a common aquarium pump that operates on 120 AC voltage and the other two run on batteries.   I carry a power inverter aboard the boat to run the aquarium pump if need be but generally, plug the pump in when the boat is parked.  The other two pumps use D and AA batteries and work great for the minnow bucket should I be on a boat with no livewell or as today, fishing through the ice.  Both pumps do a good job at keeping the minnows lively and when ice fishing help to keep the water from freezing in the bucket.  The larger pump (2 D battery's) will last for a good 24 hours when running continuous  and the smaller pump (3 AA battery's) I just bought lasted better then 16 hours.  I would recommend both of these air pumps.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/21 19:46:12

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2018/01/21 20:03:55 (permalink)
Rechargeable batteries for those bubblers save a bit of coin too.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/21 20:34:52 (permalink)
I'm going to try the rechargeable in the smaller pump just to see what the run time might be.  I have a dozen or so AA from those stupid garden/sidewalk lights, so I should have plenty for a day of fishing.

The pump in the "Baby Bubbles appears to be the same size as is in the larger air pump so it's more about the pump being compact and easy to transport.   I remember guys having minnows in a plastic bait jar while they fished for trout and if they didn't refresh the water constantly, they would be using salted minnows the next time out, but the small pump would be handy to have as it could be attached to the jar or clipped to ones belt.

Maybe have to do a 'floor test' with the rechargeables, don't know my next outing, weather not looking good after tomorrow as far as rain.  Wednesday looks to be the first day for my area... stupid rain.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/22 09:36:02 (permalink)
I have the bigger size pump that takes 2 D batteries. I swear that thing lasts forever.
I bought the baby bubbler thinking the size was easier but I find the 2 AA batteries don't even make the days fishing before they are dead.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/22 10:06:58 (permalink)
One thing I do find annoying is hearing the air pumps running, especially the bigger of the two.  Tends to have a bit of a affect on the peaceful bliss of being on the ice but then again, so does a fishing party of ten, firing up a power auger 10 yds from your shanty.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/22 10:25:06 (permalink)
Well the area I fished on lake George yesterday had at least 200 people. Everything from trucks, atv , side by side and snowmobile were running around. Amazingly, there was PLENTY of room to fish . I always bring my tunes and tune out to the surroundings.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 00:41:24 (permalink)
I tried rechargeable batteries in my air pump today. With all due respect, the batteries were fully charged in Nov. 17 so I can't say what the charge might of been today. The batteries are Eveready AA NiCd and rated at 600-
mAh.

The first set lasted about 4.5 hours and the second set was still going 2 hrs. later when I arrived home. Both sets of batteries were placed in a charger where they shall remain until I can run them again sometime mid-week.

One dislike I did learn during this run period using the "Baby Bubbles" is the second (bottom) AA battery is a bear trying to remove it without the assistance of a tool. I used the nail file on my nail/line clippers.

A second review is with the Eagle Claw (Frabill) Jet sled. Yesterday I was towing over a couple inches of wet snow and there was some noticible drag as I moved across the ice. Today, the snow was replaced with a coating of water and like every other sled, the Jet 1 pulled as if it weren't there. The sides are 10" high which is a big improvement over my toboggan. Plus the Jet is 54" long and 25" wide, again a big improvement over my previous sled. Weight wise, I believe the Jet1 comes in at 13 pounds. Cost was $54.99 and shipping was free cause I bought it locally.

Speaking of shipping, watch some them internet sights listing the Jet1 for what seems like a really, really good price. Give em your address and CC number then hit purchase and your paying big shipping and handling charges. Do check them shipping charges closely.

Hope my review (rant) has been useful.

Good times, tight lines and, God Bless the Ice Ferry.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/23 00:46:47

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 08:25:31 (permalink)
The eagle claw is a product of shappell, not frabill.
Shappell sold out to eagle claw like 2 years ago. I was a fan of shappell because their products were made in the USA, not so sure now that they have eagle claw attached.

A tip on the sled,
Throw some wax on the bottom.
Second tip is if your doing a lot of asphalt dragging, put some wear bars on the bottom. Honestly I haven't . Mine is about 20 years old and I beat the crap outta it , even used it to haul firewood with an atv.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 10:11:07 (permalink)
Tuna thanks so much for the correction on the Shappell......... stupid spell check!!! 

Appreciate the heads-up on the waxing too.

I've seen the 'runner kits' that a guy can purchase and wonder if they are worth the cost or make that much of a difference in snow.  The entire surface area on the bottom of the sled is still dragging on the surface of snow.  Still, better pulling over the snow then through the snow.  Unless the sled is setting on a high set of narrow skis.  

Not a bad idea with hauling fire wood also, especially from the wood pile to the wood-burner in  the mancave.  I'm gonna recommend that to the better half 'cept she'll have to wait til after or get the wood before I go fishing. 

Gonna be windy as heck around these parts today, would be a great time to test the anchors and tethers on the ice shanty but I think, I'm going to leave that up to someone else today.

Good times and tight lines. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 17:15:22 (permalink)
I wouldn't bother with the wear bars on a sled but would recommend on a flip over as it's usually the tub(sled) that wears out before the fabric.
My son picked up 3 sets for $5.00 each when gander mt was closing so it was a cheap investment .

you may have put the jinx on us with getting your gear. All this RAIN we been getting the last 2 days my local waters look real UGLY !!! I hate to see grey ice and shot shorelines ..

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 20:36:18 (permalink)
I hear ya on the short shorelines. Walked a few planks over the years just to satisfy the ice fish itch. So far so good here, temps drop quick enough for a refreeze but there is a few inches of Grey ice over the clear.

Thanks for the info on the covers, appreciate it.

As for the runners, I'm thinkin of sperimenting with some 3/4 PVC pipe and fittings. Little sand and the right amount of heat in the right place, I can bend the pipe into curved runners. A couple elevator bolts each, should hold em place. Maybe try blind rivets instead of bolts.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 21:14:16 (permalink)
I wouldn't do the pvc route. It's not durable and putting holes in the sled for short term not recommend. The sleds are tough enough as is. Just add wax
I have the same material at work that the runners are made from. We call it duro slide, not sure of it's material name. I know a 4'x10' x1 inch thick costs $2,374.00. It's not cheap.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/23 21:38:25 (permalink)
Sure will give the wax a try. Thanks again.

Had no idea the material the runners are made from was so danged expensive.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 10:18:44 (permalink)
The material is UHMW
Here is the actual cost (at discount) for 1 piece of 1" thick by 4x8x10

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 12:16:10 (permalink)
BTDT,  tried to PM this but it said you do not accept PM's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspQkY9AoXs

I'm kind of surprised Tuna didn't suggest this.  And I'm pretty sure Clint uses one.

I like your hummingbird, I have the same model, built my own box, too.  I've never used it to watch through the hole, but I used to carry a mix of Blue Juice and water, clear a spot on the ice, pour some liquid, put the 'ducer in the puddle, and it would give me sense of how deep I was.  Once I cut the hole, I'd go old school and drop a sounding weight, and then measure the line coming back up for accurate depth.  Limited Battery life in the cold, didn't want to burn it out with the TV fishing.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 13:26:03 (permalink)
Thank you Lucky I appreciate that. I don't know why my PM would refuse, I'll check that out for sure. PM test sent.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 16:44:29 (permalink)
Hey L-13. That's a good tip . I built 1 10 years ago but quite honestly never use it unless there is deep snow. Now that we have a snowmobile in the mix, I don't think I will ever use the smitty again.
It seems my 1 man FX 100 flip over is light enough to stay on top (37lbs) and easy enough to drag.  

Please don't be a stranger. Just because we have squabbles , I always find your information helpful .
Maybe we should create a grumpy old men section, I'd bet I would be the first one sent there , lol.

As for taking this weekend off, now that the deep freeze is back , FAT CHANCE !!!

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 17:17:24 (permalink)
1 other thing maybe I said before here is a spud bar . I've read other places of people just taking the ice safety for granted.
First off, I'd personally never drive my vehicle onto the ice . Not counting a luxury toy like an atv or snowmobile, I mean my transportation that gets me to work and back does not go out there.
I've seen and been with those who do but not mine.

Back to my review:
Eskimo redneck ice bar is a great tool.
At The price of $20.00 Not only is it a life saver, at the price, it's not worth trying to make one myself.
With this rain , soft edges and still open water on lake George, it's in my sled.
The buddy heater on the right, ugh, still throwing me fits. Yes I've cleaned the lines . I'm guessing thermocouple as Clint said

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 18:34:49 (permalink)
I know I'm hitting it hard but I tend to strike while the iron is hot . Otherwise my short term memory sucks.

I popped the bigger shanty up tonight after 2 days use sat and Sunday.
Tip : really gotta air and dry as much as possible in between weekends or else you may end up with a frozen shanty that won't set up.
Another hint is lubricate the zippers.
No oils !! I use candle wax. Any silicon wax or bar soap works , Irish spring smells nice as does lavender candle wax.

Caution:
If you dual purpose for hunting, air out weeks ahead from all those funky scents

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/24 22:24:24 (permalink)
Heyyy I like the Grumpy Old Men thingy, count me in. Not that anyone could ever think a sweet old guy liiii.... Ummm never mind.

Lucky I got the PM and thanks again for the vid. I love the way the system comes apart for easy storage until needed. Gives me a reason to buy a new compound miter saw too. Mine started throwing sparks and smelled funny.

Got out on the local ice this afternoon but I won't mention how I did. Stupid fish but, I did get to set up the Eskimo3 and did it all by myself in less then two minutes. Tearing down was just as quick and with use of the included strap, the thing went back in the bag like it knew where to go. Good thing to cause it was snowing and blowing and I don't think my fire insurance covers ice shanty's.

One last thing, if yinz have not tried predrilling the ice for the ice anchors you're causing yourself extra work. If it's the only thing ya pay attention to that I recommend, you need to try it.

I guarantee when you see how easy the anchors screw in without a drill adapter you'll wanna kiss me the next time you see me.

Try it, you'll like it. Ummm, the predrilling, you'll like the predrilling.

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Gear review 2018/01/25 09:15:41 (permalink)
HT- The UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene) is used as a shoe on the bottom of drift boats.  http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ph11240/?inMed=GSTORE&dfw_tracker=18711-5206&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZLfx6Xz2AIViIvICh2t8QjnEAYYCSABEgJojvD_BwE 
This is one of the many places you can get this product, just do a google search to find something to fit your needs.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/25 10:33:57 (permalink)
Troutbum thanks a bunch for posting that link, appreciate it.  That appears to be the material used on boat trailer bunks too and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Rechargeable battery update.  EverReady AA 600 mAh, fresh off the charger, for use in Baby Bubbles Air Pump.   4 hours constant run time per set of 2 batteries.  First set was put into action at 2:30 PM and replaced by the second set at 6:45 PM.  No complaints, cheaper then buying fresh sets of alkaline batteries every other day.  Just need to estimate the time you will be using the air pump and take a supply of batteries or purchase a larger capacity battery such as in the 2800 mAh range.

Do like those air pumps, still using fatheads (maintained in a gallon minnow bucket), purchased early last week.  Although, using aerators and changing water has kept the bait alive, the true reason for still having the minnows purchased last week is because, I can't catch any stupid fish.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/25 17:25:50 (permalink)
The bubbler on right deemed (big) has lasted over 5 years.It's been through heck, kept herring alive and still producing. D cells last a ton longer then aa. It's predecessor lasted I don't know but made me buy another.
The baby bubbler on left has failed me multiple times and is only 1.5 years , I bout 2 . .has no azz , not waterproof and battery life is 6 hrs at best. Junk imo. Even at $4.00.
I'd rather get the waterproof reliable big guy at $8.00. Savings in long run.

The Busch, latest 10 mins after work
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/01/25 17:27:30

Attachment(s)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to: