Lunatic on Lake Lonely

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/11 10:42:37 (permalink)

Lunatic on Lake Lonely

Went out 2/10 in the afternoon.  A perfect day turned into Yukon weather as soon as I got to the parking spot.  Soft ice at the usual putin, had to walk around to a dock to get on.  Setup in my usual spot, blowing snow and high winds were the order of the day.  Ice is about 10inches with hard snow on top.  Left em in til dusk, one large bass about 4 pounds and one pike about 5 or 6.  If you catch a pike with a quickset rig in his yap and about 100 feet of line thats mine, I got spooled. Stupid prespooled reel had no knot in it I guess.  Crazy cold pulling those tipups out- dayum!

11 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/11 16:18:17 (permalink)
    NY Yank:

I did the same thing only on Saratoga Lake.  Saw the weather was clearing up and wind dying down when I came home from church, so off I went.  Plenty of trouble dragging my Jet Ski boat around the boat launch area from the above pilings until I could get on the rocks just under the bridge.  Walked across the rocks under the bridge and on to the ice on the other side.  Drilled my holes, set my tip-ups and then came the blinding snow squall.
    Put up with it for about 1/2 an hour and finally took in all my tip-ups and returned to the car.  By the time I got home the sun was out and the wind had died down.

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2008/02/11 17:24:18
    dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/11 16:51:43 (permalink)
    Ed, you were brave enough to try. We got more snow than expected and I stayed home.

Dakota Man
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/11 21:52:53 (permalink)
    Ed -   I was looking for you down by the docks when I went over the 9P bridge to get to the bait shop, must have missed you.  It was good weather for penguins sunday.  Still havent fished Toga this year.  I may try Round Lake tomorrow if its not too windy, not as far a drive.  I'll see ya out on the ice one of these days I hope.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/12 14:53:29 (permalink)
    Barry:

Let us know how you made out on Round Lake - if you go.  Today did seem a little better even with the low daytime high around 20.  With no wind it makes it so much better.

Ed
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/12 23:04:34 (permalink)
    I think we've all learned our lesson with pre-spooled tip-ups. I had it happen to me. I went back to the baitshop where I had bought it. I asked the guy who spooled it, and he said, "I did". Didn't make a big deal about it, but just told him what happened.

Anyone want to join me on the ice? I'm going Wednesday afternoon/evening, and Thursday morning or evening. Give me a shout.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/13 03:27:39 (permalink)
    Ed- I did go to Round Lake tuesday. I was the only fool out there. Since I've been skunked there many times, (Hook can vouch for me there) I tried a spot way over to the north where I'd never tried... I was only setup for about a half hour when i had an unfortunate incident with my auger. I was trying to clear off some slush and it slipped and gashed my finger good, right thru my ice glove.  Couldnt get the thing to stop leaking, so I had to pull up all my sticks and head back with a glove full of blood.  I really need to pack a first aid kit in my bag. I can attest to the sharpness of those Lazer augers. What a comedy act. BTW the Rte 9 bait shop was closed again.

Hook- what time if you go out thursday am and where to?  I may be able to get out after 8am for a few hours,  but not positive yet.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/13 10:45:25 (permalink)
    Yank, rte 9 bait is always closed on Tuesday. Last year I gashed my finger with my auger at Dunham Res. Barely touched my finger. Also couldn't get the bleeding to stop.

I don't have any definitely plans for Thursday. I'll go anytime, anywhere. Ballston has been very good to me lately. I wanna try a different spot which supposedly holds a good number of crappie. You're welcome to join me there, or we could go elsewhere.

I've still got a little bait left in my tanks. Just gotta print up a fresh receipt.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/13 12:26:38 (permalink)
    Doug- As long as I don't have to work overtime at the PO wednesday night I should be good to go... have never ice fished Ballston. My buddy's inlaws have a house on the west side, just south of where it widens into a bubble.  I can probably park there unless you know a better place.... I wouldnt mind trying for some crappie for a change, I never target them.  If theres freezing rain I'll skip it though.  I'll check in here when I get out thur morning (I get home 230am if no OT).
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/13 17:27:07 (permalink)
    Parking is not a problem Yank. My in-laws live on the east side of the lake, in the middle, and have absolutely no problem with us parking there. They met Ed there last week. Call me during the day tomorrow if the weather looks ok, and no OT. 
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/13 18:24:08 (permalink)
    Hook:

Let me know if you and Barry go to Ballston Lake.  I sent you an e-mail about it, but never got a reply.  I have plenty of bait and receipt for what I got on Sunday.  Would love to give Ballston Lake another try and hope the ice holds up after all this rain.
    Give me a call (518) 761-2006 in the morning or I will call you on your cell phone.

Ed
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lunatic on Lake Lonely 2008/02/14 02:49:08 (permalink)
    Hook and Ed-

I'll give you guys a call in the morning ... No OT so i should get a little sleep in.  Hope an 8am call isnt too early for you guys.  We'll decide wheteher or not we think the ice will be too much of a mess to deal with.  Its about 21 degrees now at 245 am, supposed to only get up to 30, so it should be okay.  I've got about 8 live shiners left. Hopefully the action will be so hot I'll have a bum a couple of yours Ed.  
    Jump to: