Erie thaw

Author
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/11 18:00:18 (permalink)

Erie thaw

Anyone thinking about taking advantage of this short intermission between winter temps? Might head up this weekend

9 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/11 18:50:25 (permalink)
    EF I don't know how much faith you have in the NWS forecast but here is the latest per the NWS for the Erie area over the next coming days.  I wouldn't be surprised to find the local ice in my little piece of Penn's Woods flooded over the next couple days.   Tight lines if ya do make it.

Detailed Forecast

Winter storm warning posted Friday through Sat. morn.

Tonight
    Rain. Steady temperature around 51. South wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday
    Rain and freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow before 3pm, then freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow and sleet between 3pm and 4pm, then freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow after 4pm. Temperature falling to around 27 by 4pm. South wind 10 to 16 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night
    Snow, mainly after 7pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -1. Blustery, with a north wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday
    Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -4. Blustery, with a north wind 14 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night
    A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. North wind 6 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday
    A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night
    Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.

http://forecast.weather.g...=-80.0855#.Wlf17qinGM8
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/11 18:52:12

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/11 19:01:50 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    EF I don't know how much faith you have in the NWS forecast but here is the latest per the NWS for the Erie area over the next coming days.  I wouldn't be surprised to find the local ice in my little piece of Penn's Woods flooded over the next couple days.   Tight lines if ya do make it.

Detailed Forecast

Winter storm warning posted Friday through Sat. morn.

Tonight
    Rain. Steady temperature around 51. South wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday
    Rain and freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow before 3pm, then freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow and sleet between 3pm and 4pm, then freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow after 4pm. Temperature falling to around 27 by 4pm. South wind 10 to 16 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night
    Snow, mainly after 7pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -1. Blustery, with a north wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday
    Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -4. Blustery, with a north wind 14 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night
    A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. North wind 6 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday
    A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night
    Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.

http://forecast.weather.g...=-80.0855#.Wlf17qinGM8

Those dang poor Richards photos got me ready to go up haha.... need me some global warming right now
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/11 19:47:09 (permalink)
    I hear ya on the pictures, I do.  Great time to be out on the ice when it's snowing too.  Just getting to and from might be a problem.  I swear it snows up there, in the summer time.  Right now at my little piece of the Pennsylvania Wilds in January, it's raining like the proverbial cow and flat rock.  I think before the weather dudes changed definitions to meet their agenda, this "natural phenomena" was known as the January thaw. Fish on.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/11 21:44:25 (permalink)
    Lmao.. please wade
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/12 06:29:39 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    I hear ya on the pictures, I do.  Great time to be out on the ice when it's snowing too.  Just getting to and from might be a problem.  I swear it snows up there, in the summer time.  Right now at my little piece of the Pennsylvania Wilds in January, it's raining like the proverbial cow and flat rock.  I think before the weather dudes changed definitions to meet their agenda, this "natural phenomena" was known as the January thaw. Fish on.

Haha yeah these are the rains we needed in October! Starting to develop cabin fever. This weather will break eventually
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/12 09:32:57 (permalink)
    Keep an eye on that cabin fever, I heard there was such a bad case going around one time, guys took back stuff they never stole!!!  Thass BAD!! 

Weather dude has multiple warnings posted for my area, temps now in the mid 50's falling to the 30's by 5:00PM.  We go from flood watch to flood warning then back to flood watch and the forecast changed from winter storm watch to winter storm warning.  Winds will be from the south at 9 to 15 MPH changing this afternoon to the NNW at 17 gusting to 27 MPH.  Screw the ice anchors in tight and drill a few extra holes so the water your standing in, will drain back into the lake.

I wonder if the fish will be hitting????
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/12 09:34:33

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/12 10:49:32 (permalink)
    Crazy weather Id like to get out n fish but streams and ice are unworthy now and the temps this weekend are guna keep me near he fireplace.
    Might just find me working this weekend...WCW
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/12 12:38:42 (permalink)
    55 degrees and calm wind at 11:00 AM when I went outside to return all the 2b limestone I plowed into my yard from the driveway.  Just finishing up when I herd the roar of the wind comin from the north.  Seconds later the cold was penetrating my sweat shirt and my hand was on my hat to keep from chasing it across the south 20.  Hope yinz had your shanty's anchored when that blow came through or you definitely would be chasing it across the south twenty..... miles!!

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Erie thaw 2018/01/12 16:10:47 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    55 degrees and calm wind at 11:00 AM when I went outside to return all the 2b limestone I plowed into my yard from the driveway.  Just finishing up when I herd the roar of the wind comin from the north.  Seconds later the cold was penetrating my sweat shirt and my hand was on my hat to keep from chasing it across the south 20.  Hope yinz had your shanty's anchored when that blow came through or you definitely would be chasing it across the south twenty..... miles!!

Yeah on my way home from school I almost lost my hat! It’s my lucky fishing hat! Would have been tragic
    Jump to: