Take a kid fishing over the next year

Author
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/06 09:32:32 (permalink)

Take a kid fishing over the next year

I really wonder what I would be doing right now if my dad didn’t introduce me to the wonderful art of fishing. I’ve seen countless times kids going fishing and sticking with it. Kids need motivation to go out nowadays. Sad but true. Tight lines everyone

17 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 10:26:38 (permalink)
    Excellent idea and ya know, ya don't have to take a young person out to field or stream to start the motivation. There's an old saying, "little tots have big ears" and it, is very true.

I remember my grandma would say that, at times, during family gatherings and I would freak out, running to the mirror to check my ears.

Couldn't tell ya how many fishing or hunting excursions I went on when I was a kid and, we never left ReArm Sporting Goods the whole time. Just wish I'd paid more attention to the details and maybe today, I would have some fish and game in the freezer.

Guess my ears just weren't big enough but my ego, sure is.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/06 10:44:43

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 11:18:38 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Excellent idea and ya know, ya don't have to take a young person out to field or stream to start the motivation. There's an old saying, "little tots have big ears" and it, is very true.

I remember my grandma would say that, at times, during family gatherings and I would freak out, running to the mirror to check my ears.

Couldn't tell ya how many fishing or hunting excursions I went on when I was a kid and, we never left ReArm Sporting Goods the whole time. Just wish I'd paid more attention to the details and maybe today, I would have some fish and game in the freezer.

Yeah I can relate to that! My first experience that really got me addicted was at donegal lake . We hooked a huge palomino and we got it close to shore and it got off. Ever since that day I have been fishing every chance I’ve had. Currently 17 years old and fish almost all year long
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 11:57:25 (permalink)
    If I heard right, which I seldom do, Donegal may be but a memory to many a old timer who caught their first fish on her waters. But hopefully it doesn't sit empty for a extended period, like many of the now drained lakes in PA.

In the meantime don't forget to pass on what you have enjoyed. Lots of people would love to experience that same first day, you had at the lake. Be they young or old, there's just something special hearing, "I got one" or watching as the story is retold, down at the old bait shop.

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 12:50:30 (permalink)
    Erie_flyfishing
    BeenThereDoneThat.

Yeah I can relate to that! My first experience that really got me addicted was at donegal lake . We hooked a huge palomino and we got it close to shore and it got off. Ever since that day I have been fishing every chance I’ve had. Currently 17 years old and fish almost all year long

keep on fishing its very rewarding  in more ways then jus the catchin

I have become comfortably numb
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 20:51:28 (permalink)
    Fishing is a true outdoor challenge sport especially when going after different species. The slow or bad days out number the good ones , but it's the good times that stay with you all your life !Persistence pays off most times, but you have to enjoy and love it to become better. I've introduced fishing to many kids and adults over the years and most are still at it!
    Thanks to my Dad ! 
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 22:21:29 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Fishing is a true outdoor challenge sport especially when going after different species. The slow or bad days out number the good ones , but it's the good times that stay with you all your life !Persistence pays off most times, but you have to enjoy and love it to become better. I've introduced fishing to many kids and adults over the years and most are still at it!
    Thanks to my Dad ! 

Great point captain! My life would be so different right now if I never picked up a fishing pole. Truly blessed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/06 22:40:08 (permalink)
    Always! 

I've only fished by myself three times in the past year, and it's just not the same.  Nothing as fun as seeing my boys hooked up and making memories.  

So thankful for a dad that always had time to take me fishin'  
    So thankful I usually have time to do the same for my boys.  

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/07 07:52:54 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Always! 

I've only fished by myself three times in the past year, and it's just not the same.  Nothing as fun as seeing my boys hooked up and making memories.  

You can tell by the looks on their face they are hooked. Congrats you have been more successful in raising your children then 90% of parents nowadays!
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/07 07:55:09 (permalink)
    rsquared
    Always! 

You can tell by the looks on their face they are hooked. Congrats you have been more successful in raising your children then 90% of parents nowadays!
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/07 07:56:11 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/07 07:57:24 (permalink)
    This year for steelhead was really special for me because I caught most of my fish all on handtied flies. Including this giant. Let this one go back the big pond
    Pro Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/07 19:27:37 (permalink)
    That's awesome stuff E!

My older son is 14 and many of his steelehead over the past two season have been on hand tied flies. He really likes tying streamers and catching them on the swing.

As for me and the little bugger, we're bait chuckers.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/07 20:44:13 (permalink)
    Erie Flyfishing congratulations on a fine catch and release fish and on one of your hand tied fly's to boot.... super.

Rsquared is that a new fly reel I see in the one picture and will we be seeing those two pictures posted to the PFBC web sight?  Great photos Dave. 

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/08 07:15:19 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Erie Flyfishing congratulations on a fine catch and release fish and on one of your hand tied fly's to boot.... super.

Rsquared is that a new fly reel I see in the one picture and will we be seeing those two pictures posted to the PFBC web sight?  Great photos Dave. 

Haha thanks man. It was even more challenging getting that fish in because I crush all the barbs on my flies
    Pro Angler
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/08 09:01:54 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

He gets so dang much fly fishing gear in the mail I can't even keep track of which reels are new and which aren't, plus all the feathers and beads and such.  But I do believe that reel in the pic was on its maiden voyage.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/08 10:19:13 (permalink)
    I'm going to try a new strategy with my kids this year.  With limited time to get out, and a boat that I pay to put in a marina, my fishing is 95% from it.  Which also involves a rather long process to get it on the water and not very conducive for the 1 hour fishing outings that my kids prefer.  I'm going to try to get back to the basics a bit more, and stick to the shore, trying some high probability fishing (stocking truck chasing, bluegill ponds, ect).  They love fishing with their cousins when doing things their way (and I am there basically to untangle lines).  If they want to pursue it a bit more seriously, then I will provide that option as well.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re: Take a kid fishing over the next year 2018/01/08 10:33:42 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I'm going to try a new strategy with my kids this year.  With limited time to get out, and a boat that I pay to put in a marina, my fishing is 95% from it.  Which also involves a rather long process to get it on the water and not very conducive for the 1 hour fishing outings that my kids prefer.  I'm going to try to get back to the basics a bit more, and stick to the shore, trying some high probability fishing (stocking truck chasing, bluegill ponds, ect).  They love fishing with their cousins when doing things their way (and I am there basically to untangle lines).  If they want to pursue it a bit more seriously, then I will provide that option as well.

good strategy  as they get older there likes will change   my son who was my fishing buddy  has discovered girls and masonary trade lol  lol  so our times are few    but my 15 yr old daughter loves to fish and is quite the fisherwomen i started them   bluegills   and stocked trout    they got hooked on easy pickings young  now they like new challenges too  im so glad they like to fish its a great way to connect

I have become comfortably numb
    Jump to: