Ditch Chickens

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2017/10/24 19:13:38 (permalink)

Ditch Chickens

Took some time off from archery recently to try to get Nina into the swing of things with the birds. Put 2 up Saturday that I promptly missed. Gave it a shot again this afternoon and managed to get it done. Flushed 8 birds in about 45 min. 2 misses again, bagged 2, and a few I never had a chance at. Was happy to put a few down over her, and it really seemed to get her in the game. After I got the first one and she got a facefull of feathers she was into it. Hope she keeps catching on, and I actually keep connecting with them.

** Tried to upload a pic from my phone, but it says its too large 😞

18 Replies Related Threads

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/10/24 19:31:16 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/10/24 21:08:24 (permalink)
    Great picture Crappie_Slayer and those eyes are beautiful.  Congratulations on your hunt.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/10/28 08:42:45 (permalink)
    Flushed 2 hens Thursday. Knocked one down and the other landed about 20yds from me. Could have shot it on the ground, but after letting Nina at the one we got I got her over near where the 2nd had landed and let her pick up the track. She followed it for 30yds or so and flushed it into some thick brush in the woods. Had no shot, but was happy to see how well she worked the track.

Worked a few places yesterday with no flushes.

As a reminder watch out for those ****ed ticks. Have pulled numerous ones off the dog after bringing her home. Check myself every time I come back. Didn't see any on me last night, but found one buried in my leg when showering this morning. Think I will just start showering as soon as I get home from hunting.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/10/28 10:38:43 (permalink)
    Good decision! Ticks are nothing to mess with. The clothes I wear in the woods are all treated. I got enough problems!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/10/28 11:23:53 (permalink)
    Took the Pointers to Raystown yesterday afternoon.

Hunted about 30 minutes. Two solid points, two shots from the 28, and two roosters for stir fry.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/10/28 11:53:27 (permalink)
    Way to go Dardys
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/11/05 08:18:35 (permalink)
    Took a friend and one Pointer (the other officially applied for his AARP — American Association of Retired Pointers card). Seven solid points, five shots (yes, I shot twice at one), and four birds in the bag.

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/11/06 07:34:18 (permalink)
    Your slipping,two shots! A buck, several birds. Ha your killing more than all of us together. lol
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/11/06 09:34:33 (permalink)
    I have an excuse on the two shots — I bought a new beater shotgun in 28 gauge to use for dog training. I had never fired it before taking it on these two hunts. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3098
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/11/06 10:42:44 (permalink)
    What model/make is the new 28?  
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/11/06 12:15:42 (permalink)
    It is a Stevens 555.

I bought it for training purposes. I needed an inexpensive enough shotgun that if I needed to put it on the ground in a hurry in order to tend to a dog, there would no wringing of hands and nashing of teeth over dings and scratches (something there would be for my other shotguns).

It needed to be of a light enough gauge to not be scary to puppies that were being shot over for the first time or three, yet with enough of a payload for 1) me to actually hit quail consistently and 2) kill them dead so that the retrieve training is clean. Hence the 28 gauge with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo.

In addition, it had to be an O/U so that it could safely be carried broken open over the shoulder (to allow a free hand to use whistle, e-collar controller, and give hand signals) until the dog went on point. I hunt this way anyhow, so I actually traded in a 28 auto loader after one hunt because I didn’t like carrying the length of it.

All in all, it fits me fairly well, shoots where I point it so far (the miss was due to over swinging a quartering in bird which flaired at the same time I shot), and has been a pleasure to hunt with. It is a little stiff closing, something I believe will improve with use and, due to the aluminum receiver, it recoils as hard as any 12 gauge O/U.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/11/19 06:02:35 (permalink)
    Had Nina out a few times this week. Saw 6 birds on Thursday, unfortunately 5 of them flushed out of pine trees they were roosted in offering no shot, and the 6th was a hen that spotted me from a ways away and made a run into some extra thick brush. Dog worked the track for about 30yds, but the bird never showed.

Went back to the same area Friday after work, but didn't put anything out. Made a short drive to another spot. About 30min into it Nina made a sharp turn into a row of saplings tail up and nose to the ground and shortly after a hen popped out, only to be missed by my poor shooting skills. Saw where the it landed so I made my way that direction with Nina now excited and checking every nook and cranny looking for those dang birds. She hit the track a 2nd time and once again out popped the hen, but to the wrong side of the brushline offering no shot. With the sun starting to fade we worked along a field edge on the way back to the truck when the tail once again went up and she put out another hen. This one wasn't as lucky as the first one we saw, and ended up going down.

Was hoping to get out yesterday for another run, but by the time I got out of work the November monsoon season was in full swing. Oh well. Hope to make it out another time or 2 this week.

I've probably said it before, but other than going hunting I haven't put any real "training" time into the dog, so it's been pretty encouraging to see her progress and figure out what we're after. She's definitely showing me she has the nose for it, and the more she puts them out and I put them down for her, the more interested she gets. Can still see she's all puppy sometimes though because at least once per trip she will hit an open grassy patch, all focus is lost, and its off to the races zooming back and forth fast as possible for a few minutes just happy to be out running around. Its actually quite comical. Lots of work to be done on the retrieving end, but I think that will come. She just doesn't care to pick them up yet.

Good luck out there!
    post edited by CRAPPIE_SLAYER - 2017/11/19 06:05:40
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/12/22 15:07:41 (permalink)
    Nina and I both have a birthday this week, so we decided what better to do than take a trip and try to bag a few pheasants during the Christmas stocking ( hahaha get it...Christmas stocking 😜). Anyway, we hit the fields this afternoon and the dog did her thing and put a few up for me, and surprisingly enough I was actually able to hit them with the scattergun. Was a good afternoon, and we left with some Christmas pheasants to put under the tree ( sorry, I know I know...I think BTDT's puns are rubbing off on me). May give it another shot tomorrow. Merry Christmas everyone!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/12/22 18:26:04 (permalink)
    LMAO.... don't be blaming me, it's probably that 'cabin fever' stuff.  I hear it's been going 'round lately.  Good thing you and Nina could get into the wilds before that stuff got a good hold.  I know first hand, 'cabin fever' can make people do and say some stupid stuff.  ummm, maybe I should rethink that one, but anyway congrats on your bird hunt, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you and Nina and, a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours.   Christmas stocking; Christmas pheasants under the tree, I must be slipping or suffering from old timers, why didn't I think of that???  Dang!!! 

That's a great picture, kudos for sharing.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/12/22 18:28:54

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/12/22 21:22:41 (permalink)
    It was limits all around today. The weather was perfect and the points were stylish.

fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/12/23 08:57:14 (permalink)
    I went by a couple of parking lots on SGL214 yesterday and it looked like trout season with lots full of trucks,dogs and hunters waiting on the stocking truck. It’s a shame that’s what pheasant hunting has been reduced to

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/12/23 11:22:57 (permalink)
    According to the PGC, they expected 60,000 permits to be sold, but only 40,000 were actually purchased.

From my experience this season, those that bought the permit were out in force to make sure they got their money’s worth. Places where we would see two vehicles and leave so as not to crowd it be crowed, had 5-7 vehicles.

Yesterday, a place that we normally have to ourselves had six vehicles. We went to the other end of the area and there were seven in that lot. We ended up hunting another spot without a single point in 1.5 hours. Ran into someone we frequently see and they had a similar result— nothing.

We ended up going back to the first area and all six vehicles were gone — and replaced with three different ones. Left with the choice of hunting there or going home, we gave it a go.

Ended up with nine solid points and limits. Everyone we saw afield was courteous and all gave the other room. It was the most enjoyable day of this season.

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Ditch Chickens 2017/12/25 06:38:24 (permalink)
    Good for you DraDys Sure is enjoyable hunting over any good gun dog.

Jump to: