Helpful ReplyGizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm

Author
mikesdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/27 19:00:58 (permalink)

Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm

Sent an email to the park office a few months ago per the shad problem at Lake Wilhelm and when the next biologist report was due to be conducted:
Took awhile but finally received a ('canned') reply:

Dear Mr. MikesDad,

Thank you for the question regarding our next scheduled survey in Lake Wilhelm. I’m the fisheries biologist responsible for managing the fishery populations in Lake Wilhelm. We anticipate conducting another routine lake sampling survey either next year or if not by 2019. Again, like most of our lake surveys that are  conducted annually this will depend on staff availability and our prioritization of other lakes that are to be sampled over the next two years. Due to the size of this impoundment it requires combined efforts both our Area 1 and Area 2 fisheries management offices to effectively sample and access the status of the lakes fish population. For the past three to four years our office has been concentrating its efforts primarily on our musky lake populations. Results of this survey work, along with other information, was used to update the Musky Management Plan in making some necessary changes to our stocking program. I see much of this musky targeted sampling work winding down at this point, given the plan was recently finalized, which should provide us the opportunity to return back to many of our Area 2 lakes that haven’t been sampled in the past 8 to 10 years.

Thanks for the question.

Regards,
Brian A. Ensign| Fisheries Biologist – Area 2
Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission
172 Fish Hatchery Lane | Tionesta, PA 16353
Phone: (814) 755-3890 | Fax: (814) 755-3452
Email: bensign@pa.gov
mikesdad
New Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/27 19:04:30 (permalink)
Just food for thought
My reply to him was as follows:

Dear Mr Ensign,

2004,  2010 and then maybe in 2019 for the next biologist report?

Hmmmm…..sounds to me like, “Maybe if we ignore the problem it will go away”.
( as in Gizzard Shad/Fish and Boat Commission)

Yes, of course I know that the fish commission has increased the number of walleye and musky ‘fingerling’ that they have been stocking in Lake Wilhelm to try to address the bio-mass of gizzard shad.

I also know the growth rate of the above mentioned fingerling. ( as I am sure that you are aware as well)
I also know the growth rate and lifespan of the Hybrid Stripped Bass that would certainly help alleviate the problem at Lake Wilhelm.
What weren’t caught by anglers, would die off in 7 years.
But no, we can’t have Hybrids in the lake.

Yes, I understand. You cannot upset ‘the balance’ of the lake by introducing Hybrid Striped Bass, as I was told by a “Fish Cop” at the launch one when I suggested it to him about 6 years ago.
Like I told him……”Upset the ‘balance of the lake????”
“What is the balance NOW??!!”
He replied, “Well, we’ve seen this before. It will take care of itself.”
Really now.
Enough said.

Good luck on your concentration on the Musky fisheries in the area and the management of them.
I’m sure that that is important to some people and great for publicity and public funds for the Fish Commission.

Really can’t blame you for putting off the biologist report for Lake Wilhem.
Who would want to spend days over there pulling those stinking, slimy Gizzard Shad up in the nets by the thousands and then have to publically deal with the issue once it is made known??

Thank you for the ‘canned’ reply Brian.
Take care.

Sincerely,
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 08:24:58 (permalink)
I'd love another wiper lake, but I'm not sure they are the fix for this.  They are expensive to implement, and will eat everything in sight.  They do not key in on gizzard shad, so juvenile fish they are stocking are just as likely targets.  So, upsetting the balance, is definitely a factor.  A long cold winter will pretty much eradicate the gizzard shad, but won't do anything on the wipers, who will then just eat anything else that swims and will fit in their mouths.  Lake Arthur has alewives, that are much more tolerant of the cold winters, so needs something to keep them in check.  The state is probably wishing they never started the striper experiment there, since the purebreds didn't work, but ended up with an artificial forage base that they had to keep stocking hybrids to keep in check.  The gizzard shad are thick in Arthur as well right now, but only due to a few mild winters.  A good long stretch of hard water will kill the majority of them off, as it will in Wilhelm.  Not all, but not much will.  They are a native species to the river/creek systems, and their young are great forage for just about all fish.  They are very cyclical in their populations, and as noted by the "fish cop", will take care of itself.

Your response was very emotional based, and rather demeaning.  You should really proof read what you are sending to people, that you are asking for something.  Write as if you are writing to someone you respect (parent, boss, teacher, ect).  Better things happen for you, when you treat others with respect.   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 08:47:38 (permalink)
Porktown

Your response was very emotional based, and rather demeaning.  You should really proof read what you are sending to people, that you are asking for something.  Write as if you are writing to someone you respect (parent, boss, teacher, ect).  Better things happen for you, when you treat others with respect.   

NOW THAT THERE'S FUNNY, comin from PORKTOWN...................

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/28 08:49:33

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 13:41:06 (permalink)
If they put wipers in Wilhelm, can I fish for them in the dead of August? Asking for a friend...
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1669
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 13:52:19 (permalink)
Yes,Yes you can. 

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 14:21:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2017/11/28 17:21:34
Kill and grill as many as the law allows.  Releasing fish that you know are going to die?  To each his own.

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 18:10:02 (permalink)
Porktown spare me the ethics lesson.
You don't know me.

So after years of getting the proverbial 'pat on the head' as in, "It will be fine!!!"....."It will take care of itself!"..."We just need a good hard winter freeze!".... etc etc and so on and so forth
Today I received an email from the Park Manager that dealt with me in FACTS.
That's all I was looking for and I have every intention of following his advice.
Greatly appreciated this reply.

Email from Park Manager Bill Wasser :

Hi Mr. ,

In my heart of hearts I appreciate your passion for Lake Wilhelm and the fishery.  I grew up on this lake fishing it with my Dad, so I can thoroughly relate to that commitment.

Back in the 1980’s I volunteered at Goddard as a C.A.R.P. (a title my friends and I came up with as we picked up litter along the causeways. --- Concerned Americans Resolving Pollution).  We even made the Sharon Herald once.  I took that article with me to my interview back in 2007.  The paper was yellow and faded but it must have showed the interviewers of my passion for the lake and I got the job.

When I got here in 07, people were complaining about the fishery calling Wilhelm “the Dead Sea”.  We held a public meeting at which about 30 anglers were present.  PA Fish and Boat Commission attended and heard the public concerns.  You are correct in pointing out that one of the tactics to try to address the problem with Gizzard Shad numbers is to increase the predator fingerlings.  I believe as a result of that stocking program, we have seen increased walleye catches and we are even starting to see some larger bluegills and crappies being caught.  I have expressed my gratitude to Fish and Boat for those efforts and will do so again here. 

Gizzard Shad are not the only problem Lake Wilhelm is experiencing.  The reservoir is aging, and based on some preliminary water quality studies on some of the tributaries, we are helping it along.  Phosphorous is entering the lake and speeding up the process of eutrophication.  That is evident especially in late summer when we see some algal blooms.  I have been working with the Mercer County Conservation District and others to see how we as a community can address that issue.  Adding to that, our Park Ranger just discovered a new invasive species in the lake (European Frog Bit).

The point of all this is that, we cannot manage in a bubble.   The introduction of new species whether intentional or not can and does impact lake ecosystems.  Sometimes we don’t see all of the ramifications for years after the introduction.

In conclusion, please let me say I’d love to have you join our Friends group (Friends of Goddard) and head up a committee to work as volunteers in the watershed.  They are a great group of people who love the lake and park and do so much to help us out.  At the same time, I want to apologize to you for not having met your expectations with regard to managing the lake resources.  I can’t in clear conscience allow Brian and PFBC to assume sole liability.   The lake ecosystem is too complex to point fingers in any one direction.  I would like to invite you also to participate in a Lake Wilhelm Watershed program that we will be presenting with Mercer County Conservation District next Spring.  I’d be happy to send you the dates and information. Please let me encourage you to come and visit with me at the park office any time.  Let’s sit down and look at the issue of the fishery holistically and see what we can come up with.  I would look forward to doing so.

Have a great Holiday Season.

Bill

William F. Wasser | Park Manager

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 19:04:26 (permalink)
Who cares about a fix for Shad it will never happen . That cold and ice kill is boloney on our local lakes. Sure some die off, but never enough to hurt the species when they are in massive numbers. Shenango lake has been "full of Shad "since 2006 and hasn't dropped yet in Shad numbers, and it's got the biggest Stripers in a 50 mile radius guaranteed ! I have personally seen mega schools of Shad balls every year from 2006-2017. So as far as the problem taking  care of it self I say Banana Oil ! I hate to say it but Shad are by far the #1 bait they do key in on . Seen them just crushing schools of surface Shad many a day, not that they won't suck in a small game fish but Shad is steak to those sharks !

Fill it (Wilhelm) with Hybrid Stripers at least you'll have something to catch ! Best fighting game fish around and numbers can be totally controlled .Shenango would be a dead sea if it weren't for Hybrid Stripers and Crappie. And the Fish Commish doesn't stock Crappie !
Hybrid Stripers won't hurt a thing they just won't spend money buying more or trying to start a Striper program !  It's all about cutting and saving and making excuses. We have a fish that is super fun to catch, grows fast,fights hard , and loves to eat Shad all year and the Fish Commish is a sleep at the wheel....oh that's right toss out more 6" Trout, just don't put them in Shenango River it's loaded with PCB's, but it's safe for all of Mercer County to drink !...go figure that one ?????   

Musky program.... there's another joke ! We all know Pymy is the only good producer of large and numerous Musky every year. Shenango Lake doesn't have weed beds and therefore Musky just don't do well as far as numbers. I believe they stopped stocking Shenango Lake with Musky and I know they stopped stocking the lower Shenango River a few years ago. If a lake doesn't have weeds and forage it doesn't take an Einstein to know Musky will not fare well. They have also done away with the Tiger Musky program altogether I believe .....more savings !

As far as biologist reports I'm still waiting on the nets that were seen in Shenango last Spring by some fishing friends....still no report ...so don't hold your breath on Wilhelm ! 

Seems to me the PA. Fish Commish keeps cutting stocking of all game fish more and more and tossing out excuses more and more ! Shenango Lake has taken major cuts in all but Stripers. One year they stocked only 1,800 fry Walleye, made up an excuse but they didn't make the number up the following year like they should have done . Five years from now they will say Shenango Lake's Walleye numbers are too low therefore it won't qualify for more stocking with the new Inland Walleye Program so all Walleye stocking stops ! Bet me that don't happen !!

I'm done ...............
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 19:51:36 (permalink)
Ethics lesson wasn't for you.  Not sure if you follow the Lake Arthur board, but was in reference to the wise crack from PSU, which was kind of funny.  There was debate over people purposely targeting wipers in the middle of the summer, after possibly the most respected angler on that lake (Crappiefisher) noted multiple studies of mortality rate being drastically affected by water of 80 degrees or higher.  I used to do it, until I knew better.  This was in no means targeted at you. 

I was only suggesting, if you are looking for the PFBC to start stocking, attacking one of the guys with some say to make it happen, likely isn't the best approach.  You could have easily picked apart his "canned" reply in a calm fashion.  Go through each of the excuses that you have been presented with, research and site studies that prove their excuses incorrect.  Take your work and present it to the Mercer County Conservation District.  Send it to the Sharon Herald or other.  That is how change is made.  I would say that Captain Hook would give you a hand, but he is done...  I am being serious, if you guys are confident with your facts, and have a way to prove them, you can make a difference.  It very well may just come down to what I believe all three of us mentioned.  $$$

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/28 20:28:03 (permalink)
Mikesdad I am finding your thread to be quite interesting. Reminds me of the late 70s early 80s when a group of anglers from the area campgrounds voiced our concerns over the total
eradication of weeds in Wilhelm. Seems we heard that same story of invasive species and phosphates.

We also learned the park was most eager to meet with special interest groups regarding the Lake Wilhelm fishery. That's when the lake became a "trophy bass lake" and things began to go down hill. Then came the idea of "fish specific lakes" and bingo Wilhelm becomes an attraction to many bass clubs and several competitions each year.

Then suddenly there's a new Sheriff in the PBFC and a few years later comes a major shakeup when John Arway is railroaded in as the new Commander at the helm.

I hear things are improving on John's personal project and that's OK. Since the main focus is now "SOS" we now hear Lake Wilhelm will correct herself and alllll those shad put there from anglers bait buckets will just fad away.

Fear not walleye and steelhead fishers alike. Hope may be on the horizon.

https://www.post-gazette....c/stories/201710220140
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/28 20:34:06

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 09:37:07 (permalink)
I'm done basically complaining about the Fish Commission in my answer above, but not totally done.
I don't understand their reasoning on many issues but I would bet it's mostly about spending dollars and justify it with half good answers. They waste money on certain programs then just make up excuses galore on others.

They will stock tons of Walleye into Pymy then allow the spawning season to stay open all year round allowing that fiasco to go on at the Spillway and other spawning sites year after year ! Can anyone open their eyes to common sense in that Commission !

They now won't stock a fish in lower Shenango River a place that has excellent wade fishing, parking , and access for young and old and even handicap people, because a Bass had too much PCB in it's tissue. Yet all of the Shenango Valley's water source comes from that same area of water and they ( Aqua Water Co. ) claim PCB levels are fine. Some of the biggest size Walleye in Mercer or Crawford County have been caught in that river over the years due to a good stocking program that has now completely ended ! Seems all the fish lived for years in that ecosystem . I never heard of a fish die off ever on that river in 60 years.

They screwed Shenango Lake on low Walleye stocking one year and never made an effort to remedy the problem, but they will pump more Walleye into Pymy for the Springtime Snag -A- Thon at the Spillway !

Now they put all stocked Trout into upper Shenango River to make up the difference from shutting down the lower river. Ever try fishing in a river full of timber, mud banks , dead slow drifts , and no parking.... go fish here ! Won't be long they will stop stocking here complaining not enough fishermen interested in this area. Another win for the Fish Commish to stop stocking and save money. 

I like the part they say Wilhelm is ageing .......how old is Pymy ? ...lol

Age hurts one lake but not others.

Trying to get the Fish Commission to change up some thinking and spending is total waste of time in my book. I see none will ever respond to this site with some input or reasoning....after all what do local fishermen know were not college educated in water ecosystems . And yes I have wrote them only to hear the same BS as above ! Excuses galore, never a common sense answer yet. 

Ever notice their answers are the Bass fishing is great , Crappie are doing fine , Catfish are biting good, Bluegill and Perch are starting to pick up.....every species they don't stock or manage !!!! ...lol.....go figure !

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 12:37:31 (permalink)
I'm sure it has to come down to money.  They collect, the state takes, then they are only left with so much.  I'm guessing much of what the state takes, ends up fixing the dams, invasive weeds and other species and other projects that we hear about, and not fixing what many recreational anglers feel are problems.  There is only so much money to go around, and I would imagine, they end up getting cheated out of the money they collect, to use.  So, instead of them telling the truth, they side track.  They are government, and that seems to be how our government operates.

I agree that their management is bizarre at best at times.  Your example of Pymie walleye is spot on.  Even Arthur's walleye seem to be a waste.  Granted, I love it when I get one, and wouldn't want them to stop stocking, but is rather rare to catch them there.  There are a few guys that have figured them out, but most fishing that lake haven't.  I would assume the vast majority, end up in the belly of a wiper or other fish, before they are 10".  Which is why, I think both Arthur and Shenango don't have great walleye populations, and part of what I was referring to, about the wipers not being opportunistic feeders, rather than just keyed in on one species.  Everything that I have read about them, notes that they are opportunistic and will gorge.  They will go after the easiest prey, so schools of shad/alewives are going to be that for them, since the most abundant and travel in large easy to locate schools.  But if they run into a school of walleye fry, I would bet a paycheck that they don't leave them alone.  Especially if there was an extremely harsh winter, that killed off 80% of the shad they were used to gorging on.  They're like hungry teenage boys that love pizza.  If the pizza runs out, they'll eventually eat whatever is in the fridge.  Which is why I would think that the PFBC are very apprehensive about stocking them in other lakes.  Obviously, the cost of stocking them is likely their primary factor, but they have to factor in how much more those fish cost them on their collateral damage too.  

In all honesty, we should all want self sustaining fisheries to keep costs low.  Unfortunately, they aren't the species many of us want to catch...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 13:19:48 (permalink)
Capt. "There is a sucker born every minute" and the PFBC is not talking about 'the fish',  rather, the fisher!  When the PFBC biologist came out with the BS saying 'trout' could survive in waters below deep water compounds because the water coming from the bottom of the lake was cold enough to sustain survival of the trout, the writing was on the wall.  Goodbye stocking anything but trout in those waters and you fishing those waters without first "buying a trout stamp" even though you aren't fishing for trout.

The "proof is in the pudding",  say goodbye to your little friend,  Shenango River fishery.

Yes we have all written or spoken our piece, in some shape or form, to the PFBC.  Yes we have all received the same reply, in some shape or form.

If you have not read the article from the link I supplied, you should.  The pressure is on, time for concerned anglers to tighten the 'thumb screws', not by writting the PFBC but writing the House Game and Fish Committe.

Do it.......... today!!   Check with your local Rep Offices for addresses of those that represent you!!

Following is a snippet of the article, note where Arway is threatening the cuts, to rile the anglers for pressuring the politicians.

Lawmakers haven’t authorized an increase in fishing license fees since 2004, prompting Fish and Boat to reduce staff by attrition. State senators voted to give the agency authority to control license fees, but a similar proposal and another bill to increase 2018-19 license fees have not been given a vote in the House Game and Fisheries Committee. When Fish and Boat Commissioners ordered Arway to slash $2 million from its 2018-19 budget, the director let it be known that if the House didn’t vote on the bills he’d reduce services by closing two warm-water fish hatcheries, one trout hatchery, make “severe” cuts in the cooperative nursery program and perhaps restrict waterborne first-responder training. Further, during the months before the 2018 election Arway would tell voters which candidates were responsible for there being 240,000 fewer stocked trout.     

Link to the above article: 
https://www.post-gazette....c/stories/201710220140  

Arway must GO!! 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/29 13:26:55

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 14:13:16 (permalink)
Hey maybe since I've been annointed the most disliked and the biggest BSer on the forum (to which yinz'll get no argument from me), I could go to work for the PFBC as a press agent. 

Here's my release for Wilhelm, Shenango and Arthur.  Walleye stocking will be brought to a complete halt for the aforementioned lakes.  However the time frame for this practice is unknown but it is assumed, without walleye fingerlings/fry to feed on, the toothy critters will need consume all other fishbait/baitfish inhabiting aforementioned lakes.   In due time, the larger hybrid predators will self eradicate from  lack of breeding, food or, blue army thereby making aforementioned waters once again safer for stocking only species of fish, considered appropriate for table fare. 

No applause please, just send money

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 19:20:20 (permalink)
Yo Captain Hook!! How are you? Enjoying retirement I am guessing!!
Excellent!!!

Captain Hook said:

"Trying to get the Fish Commission to change up some thinking and spending is total waste of time in my book."

BTDT said:

"Yes we have all written or spoken our piece, in some shape or form, to the PFBC.  Yes we have all received the same reply, in some shape or form."

Exactly.
You ask them a question and its like you push a button on their chest like a 'Chatty Kathy' doll.
You get a 'canned' response.

"We are working on that."
"The problem will take care of itself."
"We can't afford to stock fish in that stretch of creek or favorite lake that you are so passionate about!"
"We've been pretty busy with the musky lakes to bother sampling Wilhelm!"
and on and on as some of us know.

And yet some people suggest that we should be more polite and maybe say 'purty' please to the fish commission.
Ha.

Thank you both Captain Hook and BTDT for chiming in,
A lot of good points!
Greatly appreciated!!!

I am going to meet with the Park Manager at Wilhelm on Friday just to chat.
I joined FROG. (Friends of Goddard State Park)

I have no illusions of changing the system but I certainly can be a P.I.T.A.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 20:01:38 (permalink)
Yes I am enjoying my retirement "Dad" and I hope all goes well with you and all my old working friends ! My son keeps me posted on the latest shop talk.

Keep active with the fishing info and news. I criticize the Fish Commish but once in awhile they do get it right locally.

Shenango has the biggest Stripers probably in the whole state of Pa.! Too bad they don't have a single species record for Hybrid Stripers. Why not ? I know Shenango would place every year! That's another stupid thing , why do they lump in all Inland Stripers in one category, those Raystown's Stripers are not the same species as Hybrids.
Not fair at all to compare Raystown Stripers that can go 50lbs. to Hybrids !

Also Pymatuning has the best Musky fishing in the state hands down, so that program is working very well !  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/11/29 21:26:24 (permalink)
Mikesdad, Wilhelm once supported five bait shops and now only two remain. Some of the changes I've seen since I first began fishing Wilhelm. Less and less fishing/pontoon boats. More and more Bass style boats including very high priced Rangers. Fewer and fewer story's of walleye and crappie fishing. More and more "bucket mouth bass" being caught. Boat launches filled with contestants weighing in their "lunker bass". Smaller and smaller crappie and bluegill coming from the lake. Strong fishy smells and huge pods of baitfish swarming the surface of the water. Coves and shallow humps once covered, completely barren of aquatic growth. Then in the past three years, more growth in once barren locations, crappie returning both in numbers and size. Bluegills returning as well. Walleye, while not in great numbers are once again being caught. More and more fishing/pontoon boats with family's aboard enjoying a day of fishing. Less and less Ranger Boats. All this, in a short period of time.

In addition, we see reports from staunch anglers who have broken away from Pymie and are now fishing Wilhelm.

Yep Wilhelm is alive again.........

Now time fir the BTDT brow beating.

Having seen pontoon and other boats nearly or filled to capacity with anglers and watching cooler after cooler of "pan fish" being unloaded from these same boats, might a size or "creel limit" be a good idea at this time?

Oh, and a ban on shad as fish bait? Yep, the lake opened how many years ago and only in the past 15 years we see baitfish so thick in places, you can smell em coming'. All because of a fisherman's baitbuck. Yessir.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/29 21:31:15

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/12/15 20:05:32 (permalink)
The meeting for the Friends of Goddard (F.r.o.g) is Tuesday evening at 630 at the park office. See ya all there
Pa Fisher
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2017/12/31 23:31:25 (permalink)
The state needs to make Wilhelm a panfish enhancement lake.  I have experienced several lakes in PA that were made enhancement lakes, and the before and after was like night and day.  Not only crappie but also bluegill and the like.  Can't wait to see pymie in a few years.  There were always big crappie in there but it is going to get so much better.
mikesdad
New Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2018/01/20 17:47:21 (permalink)
It's working!!!!
One down, fifty million gazillion to go.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2018/01/20 17:53:57 (permalink)
Quit crying at least you caught something....lol ....won't need much breading either.
mikesdad
New Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2018/01/21 12:34:48 (permalink)
Didn't need no bread. Just ate it off the ice.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Gizzard Shad/Lake Wlhelm 2018/01/21 13:54:21 (permalink)
Sounds good ....I like to dip em into a little cocktail sauce ...lol
Jump to: