Three rivers walleye

Author
TheGoose
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/24 06:29:03 (permalink)

Three rivers walleye

Just joined the forum yesterday. My brother and I have been fishing this area for most of our lives. This time of year we focus on walleye and the Allegheny due to proximity. November has not been very productive compared to past years. Should heat up soon. We focus on locks and/or dams, Lock 3 and 2 most of the time. Was wondering how anglers were doing in the area. 

13 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/11/24 09:38:04 (permalink)
    WELLLLLLLL just let me be the first to say "Welcome Aboard" Goose.  As for fishing the Allegheny, unfortunately I can only dream of those days however, 'river people are cool'.

They call me BeenThereDoneThat (when they ain't mad at me) which is a lie 'cause I might have or maybe could have, but probable didn't.  Than again this is a forum and we all know  forums are the 2nd best place to tell fishing/hunting stories, so I know my little secrete is safe here.  The first most best place is huntin'/ fishin' camp from which, I have been evicted sooooo, here I am.

A bit of advice, spot burning is not appreciated unless, you're talking to me.  Of course, that being the case, your secrete will be safe too!

Good times and tight lines, your friend and mine, 

BTDT (maybe)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/11/24 13:27:11 (permalink)
    Can't say I've been out yet this year for them, but hope to soon. I usually do pretty good in December. Nastier weather the better in my limited experience.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/11/28 12:41:13 (permalink)
    The lower Allegheny has been very high lately, which is likely why the Eye fishing has been so slow. I made my first trip out for them this season on Friday and got skunked. Was fishing a creek mouth with 3-4" streamers on my 7wt and didn't even see a fish, two other guys there with me fishing swimbaits and they went home fishless as well. Hopefully the rain predicted for Thursday is minimal and they turn on for the weekend.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/11/30 19:11:29 (permalink)
    This has been a really tough year on the Allegheny. At the time of the year when the fishin' should be gettin' good, the rain brings the river up 3 1/2 feet, then when it gets back down, more rain, plus winter draw down on Kinzua, Mahoning, Loyalhanna, and Crooked Creek and it's back up and blown out. I haven't been out since the 2nd or 3rd week of October, and right now the river at Freeport is clean and green, but just a little high; maybe a foot or so above winter level. If we don't get major rain, this weekend looks promising. The high water had one advantage; the dock is still in on the Buffalo Creek. They couldn't get to it to unhook it 'cause the cement walkway that it's bolted to was 2 1/2 feet under water. I can hear those walleyes callin'!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/11/30 22:20:44 (permalink)
    emitch I been haunting the Allegheny around the Franklin area the last several weeks.  Not doing any fishing but sure have been seeing more boating activity than I can remember for this time of year especially from the Third St Launch.  Sorry to say I don't have a report as I can't get the boaters to stop long enough to speak with.  But if I was to guess, from the hand gestures I see as the boats pass by, they all must be catching at least one.

Water was running high today but as you say, looking clean and green.

Good times and tight lines, river people are cool.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/01 22:13:29 (permalink)
    Full moon and low water tonight but not so much as a sign of fish. Chucked swimbaits, cranks, and streamers for 4 hours but no action. Slow is an understatement. Back at it next week.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/02 14:11:05 (permalink)
    Stopped at the ramp on Buffalo Creek on the way home from work Friday evening. They've yanked the dock; must've been Thur. or even Friday morning. Water is now down to where it should be, but the whole lower section of the ramp is mud. I'd need hipboots to get the boat back on the trailer. Also, there is a log stickin' up about 15' out from the waters' edge, and that's gonna make it tough to launch and re-trailer.

My guess would be the launch at Cowanshanock is most likely mud too, as that launch is mud even in good times. I think I'll be fishin' pool 8 and launchin' at Templeton. That ramp is pretty good even at low water, and I've never seen mud. Just plain tough on the Allegheny this year.
    post edited by EMitch - 2017/12/02 14:12:28

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/03 05:12:02 (permalink)
    The river has been producing well the past few months. Plenty of small sauger but fella's that keep fish are getting quality limits of eyes within a few hours of fishing.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/15 11:51:24 (permalink)
    Anyone been out lately around the Burgh? Haven't seen/heard any good reports lately, so I'm reluctant to start throwing swimbaits again until prespawn.
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/15 14:01:31 (permalink)
    I got into them a few days ago during the day. "The spot" was producing some nice eyes but nothing of any size. I don't measure but I would guess they averaged 14-16".

Moved into the other spot and was hooking up with 4-8" fish with some regularity.

All fish were caught on plastic.

I started targeting walleye from shore in Pittsburgh about ten years ago and imo this has been the best year yet.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/17 12:35:21 (permalink)
    Hmm, maybe it's just me then haha. I'll try one more time later this week when the water warms up a few degrees, but otherwise I'd rather chase something that I know I can get to eat. Any particular colors you've had success with?
    SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/18 11:00:56 (permalink)
    I'm originally from Monongahela and I asked around while I was back in town Saturday; nothing.  I thought I would try here.  Does anyone have any information on this whatsoever?  The "released" part is the one that has me scratching my chin.

Washington County
    Before the recent cold snap, fishing for Walleye was good throughout the Monongahela River. Large plugs were the lure of choice for big Walleyes up to 12 pounds being caught and released. Stretches of river with heavier current were hotspots for shore bound anglers.  
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    Re: Three rivers walleye 2017/12/18 15:42:51 (permalink)
    I've had the best luck with white and silver.
    Jump to: