Trickle charger or Battery maintainer

Author
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/26 15:38:58 (permalink)

Trickle charger or Battery maintainer

This fall I replaced my deep cycle battery for my trolling motor.  I have a 10 amp battery charger for recharging the battery after 3 or 4 hours of use. Now in the off season should I use a Battery maintainer or Trickle charger to keep the battery charged over the winter?  
What are your thoughts on this?

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

4 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Trickle charger or Battery maintainer 2017/11/26 17:47:17 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry about spending money on either.   If your battery is acid core, make certain the cells are filled and fully recharge the battery then check it once in a while with a hydrometer.  Maintenance free, give em a shot with the battery charger just before fishing season. 

Or purchase a battery tester from a auto parts store.  Just remember to buy a tester that puts a load on the battery.  Weak batteries can  read 12 volts, unless a load is applied.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Trickle charger or Battery maintainer 2017/11/26 21:47:59 (permalink)
    I always pull all batteries out of the boat, no matter how much of a pain it is...
    I've seen too many wet cell batteries freeze and crack over the years.

I keep them in storage in an area that stays above freezing and put an automatic charger on them for a day about every two or three months.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: Trickle charger or Battery maintainer 2017/11/26 22:22:56 (permalink)
    If the boat is stored in a heated space get an onboard charger. They will charge and maintain a battery. I run a three bank charger. It will maintain my cranking and two trolling motor battery. When I put the boat away I just plug the boat in and walk away
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Trickle charger or Battery maintainer 2017/11/27 09:52:36 (permalink)
    Erie MakoI always pull all batteries out of the boat, no matter how much of a pain it is...  I keep them in storage in an area that stays above freezing and put an automatic charger on them for a day about every two or three months.

^ this.  I just pulled mine Friday when I got home from work.  They stay in the garage over the winter and go back in the boat springtime.  I'll throw a charge on them once or twice over the winter and then once before I install them.  

My front battery is pretty simple to get to but the rear battery takes two hernias and a chain hoist to get out of there.  I recall my dad saying "you need to make sure it won't move while you haul the boat!" when we built the spot for it, but I think he might have gone a bit too far with that.  I could flip that boat on the highway and have a semi flatten it but that battery won't budge!
    Jump to: