Author
Trap Jaw
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/15 15:40:53 (permalink)

Sugestions for stringer setups

I'll help move this forum along...

I just recently started hunting divers and decided to use a stringer set-up.  I have seen how my two friends set their's up and although it works I don't like them.  Does anyone have any stringer set-ups that they love, work great, or are just plain easy to use.

6 Replies Related Threads

IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Sugestions for stringer setups 2007/04/16 10:02:54 (permalink)
    Well first off, what didn't you like about your friend's set up?  There are a few ways to do this and everyone has their own way of doing things... an easy way is to have a main line however long you want (depending on how many decoys you want to run in your line) and make two knots every 3' to 4' apart on your main line.  These knots should be an inch apart and this is where you will clip on your decoy.  The rigging for your decoy should include 2' of line tied to a clip that you will then attach to your main line between your knots.

You can keep your main line on a roll when not in use and the 2' of line off your decoys should be easy to wrap and clip in place during transportation/storage. 

Again, there are many ways to do this but for a cheap and easy solution that is easy to maintain, the knots and clips work fine.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    RE: Sugestions for stringer setups 2007/04/16 19:48:00 (permalink)
    Sorry, I guess I sho0uld have described what they have.  They use fixed lines that that decoys are always tied on to.  One guy ties overhand knots every so often with a snap swivel that goes on the deke.  The other guy uses somthing different but the same similar idea.

What you described was what I had in mind.  I found those main line clips on Cabela's.  They look like they would be easy to use.  I just figured that if anyone had any bright ideas, while I still haven't invested any time or money, the input would helpful in coming up with a rig.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    RE: Sugestions for stringer setups 2007/04/16 19:55:42 (permalink)
    BTW, IUP...  Were you following behind me with an aquaview to get that picture of your's.  I love using high explosives for fishing because there is no doubt when you get a hit.  Of course it sucks when all you get back is a pair of fish lips.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugestions for stringer setups 2007/04/17 09:44:58 (permalink)
    LOL - easiest way to get 'em to the surface...

As for the clips, you can easily go to Lowes or Home Depot, etc. and find clips that may be better suited for what you need and you also won't have to pay for shipping.  I ran out of clips toward the end of the season when I converted some of my dekes into a line so as of right now, mine are tied on between my two knots on my mainline for right now.  Before next season I'm switching to what I described for you above -- this is how a hunting buddy of mine has his line set up.
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Sugestions for stringer setups 2007/04/17 20:44:50 (permalink)
    I run a string  of dekes like IUP30 described.Depends on where and how I am set up could be a string of 1dzn up to 2 dzn in a string.Also depending on how many hunters you have with I set up a small group of dekes like a small ball or circle at the end of string on either side but leaving a pocket right in front of the shooter(s)  for them to land in.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: Sugestions for stringer setups 2007/04/18 11:45:22 (permalink)
    Beedhed nailed it... "J" hook is usually is great early season but later on you sometimes have to switch it up to fool wary birds.
    Jump to: