Helpful ReplySteelhead

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/10 17:07:13 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
I've noticed over the past few years that most guys (not all) don't advertise their trib fishing adventures near as much as years past (that's good ). I'd say probably some have smartened up(finally), good fishing has also slowed, and there isn't as much to really tell anymore (it's all old news to most).  

on all my reports i just say "tribs" im guessing people learned after a decent report went out that the spot was shoulder to shoulder the next day. just look at this forum... over 1000 views. many people view this and the reports everyday and never contribute a word to the conversation
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/10 19:45:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bingsbaits 2017/10/10 21:27:51
Erie_flyfishing
CAPTAIN HOOK
I've noticed over the past few years that most guys (not all) don't advertise their trib fishing adventures near as much as years past (that's good ). I'd say probably some have smartened up(finally), good fishing has also slowed, and there isn't as much to really tell anymore (it's all old news to most).  

on all my reports i just say "tribs" im guessing people learned after a decent report went out that the spot was shoulder to shoulder the next day. just look at this forum... over 1000 views. many people view this and the reports everyday and never contribute a word to the conversation

thats the spoon fed millennials lol 

I have become comfortably numb
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 09:00:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2017/10/11 09:16:12
I caught between 0 and 1000 fish at an undisclosed tributary in Erie County, on an undisclosed fly tied from synthetic materials, various animal carcasses, and pointy metal. Where was I fishing, you ask? In the water, duh. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 09:26:27 (permalink)
Being one of those guys who seldom post on the erie board, I still check in.  Mostly to see if the fish have started to run.  I'm south and east of harrisburg and its a LONG drive to come up and find no fish or the creeks totally blown out.  Not looking for spoon feeding, just general information.
But, totally agree about not posting specifics.

wishin i was fishin
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 10:10:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bigbear2012 2017/10/11 10:15:05
I usually post a report after every trip, but try to keep Stream reports vague. Usually the location is "tribs" with basic water conditions. Landed/hooked ratio, fly category that worked best, and maybe a comment or two about fish or angler numbers, or the weather. Enough info for fellow out of towners to decide whether it's worth a trip but nothing that'll give away spots or put more guys on already pressured enough fish.
live2dive49
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 10:34:30 (permalink)
bigbear I am also south and east of Harrisburg.  Looking for a pal to make the 6 hour haul to Erie during the week as I am retired. PM me if you think that would be possible. 
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 12:10:43 (permalink)
L2D, I teach full time, so only a weekender at this point

wishin i was fishin
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 12:19:28 (permalink)
johnthefisherman
 at an undisclosed tributary in Erie County,

NY or PA!!!!???
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/11 12:44:15 (permalink)
Or Ohio? 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/12 19:17:21 (permalink)
I took a gamble and tried a new spot yesterday. Nursery waters creek???? Atleast that's what the sign said. Surprisingly low pressure. Just me and a couple Russian dudes using Little Cleos. Great day on the tribs!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/12 21:42:07 (permalink)
LOL.....good one.

Your not the first, I seen a guy years back get fined for fishing in the Trout Run nursery creek ! He was standing on the beach in the shallow outflow of the creek casting up into the creek mouth. The idiot was even told you can't do it by a few fishermen..."the Man" fined him and confiscated all his gear too ! We just all laughed as he whimpered away.  
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/13 05:50:24 (permalink)
Years ago I watched two guys seine trout run! They dipped about 8 or 9 fish and bolted. We couldn't even get the plate number,it was covered in mud. All we knew it was a Chevy van and two guys that didn't speak English very well. I can just imagine how much of that stuff went on in the day. People must be really hungry or really stupid.
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/13 07:45:43 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Years ago I watched two guys seine trout run! They dipped about 8 or 9 fish and bolted. We couldn't even get the plate number,it was covered in mud. All we knew it was a Chevy van and two guys that didn't speak English very well. I can just imagine how much of that stuff went on in the day. People must be really hungry or really stupid.

Saw that the other day at walnut . Two Russians snagged limit in under 10 minutes and left before the sun came up..
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/14 09:50:47 (permalink)
I imagine that still does and can go on especially at nursery creeks or small tribs. How many people are out at 3am near the stream mouths when the lake winds are blowing hard.....nobody!
Two guys with a big net on a nursery creek like Trout Run at 3am. If I was a local deputy or warden just think like the poachers and you'll catch plenty....it's not rocket science !  
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/14 13:37:38 (permalink)
Rough morning for me anyways. Got to a east side trib few mins after 7, had whole creek mouth to myself (in hindsight, prolly not a good sign). I didnt dare step foot in the water and risk spooking any would be fish. Casted and casted my 1/3 ounce little cleo in 9 to 3 pattern. How many of you guys ditch the treble for a single hook?

Anyways, rock fest, kept snagging up my spoon, finally lost that spoon after my fluro leader snapped after repeated attempts to free the snag. Retied and kept casting till more guys showed up. Kept working my way east to next trib only to loose more spoons to snags/rocks and see more anglers.

Finally made it down to mouth of the 20 only to see a ton of guys out waist deep in crystal clear water casting at the mouth. No wonder there aint many fish out front.

How many guys use the big ol 2/5 on the beach casting? Seems like they are too heavy in such shallow water and will only snag up? I kept fouling up a 1/3
cmwrestler2008
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/14 16:13:18 (permalink)
fishing was good earlier in the week until the water dropped, fish are spooked now 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/14 19:59:43 (permalink)
I don't fish spoons in the creeks even at the mouth...there's too many other options that work well for me and won't spook fish or snag fish/rocks. That water is petty low.

On the beach at trout run spoons all day.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/14 20:03:20 (permalink)
finesse  aaaaaaaaand keep changin up

H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/19 20:58:20 (permalink)
After almost 2 weeks of nothing but fishing... I'm actually fished out lol.

Caught a lot of fish and lost even more. Got reminded of how these fish make people forget about fishing edicate as well. Shared a lot of laughs with others as well, lots of good guys out there. Fished a hole on Elk with very little pressure until Poor Richard's decided to post it, ended up having over a dozen people there every day after. Really wish they would just use the creek name and not the specific locations. Timed it right and had a couple days of stained water. But then it went low and clear again.

F&B Commish was patrolling the Walnut Stop signs, so make sure you stop all the way or you'll be getting a $50 fine (no I didn't get one, lol. Spoke with a guy who did however). You pay them in cash or fight it and come back to pay it. 

All in All... It was worth the saved vacation time, and a good time to get away from home. Hopefully it rains and blows out a couple times before the next trip. The leaves were starting to collect pretty heavy on several of the creeks and need to get flushed out. Most memorable moment... Fishing Trout Run, guy had a rod on shore and was in the lake casting spoons or something. Well he didn't have the drag set very loose, fish took off with the rod, guy jumped in head first and was able to catch the rod lol. Not sure he got the fish, but was pretty funny. Also, check yourself for ticks! had 2 crawling up my waders after heading back to the parking lot, glad I saw them before it was too late.

Oh, and I had a group of Russian's get checked near my car. When I was getting ready to leave I found one of their "special" white streamers. Lots of material, weight, and a hook big enough for musky fishing. Kept it as a souvenir, heck may even use it for late fall/early spring Musky/pike fishing. And another thing... Watch out for the idiots that catch fish, slice them open for the skein/eggs and ditch them back in the water. 

See a snagger / Fish cutter - Take a pic and post them! Fish Erie's wall o' shame!
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/20 09:16:51 (permalink)
H3Fisher
After almost 2 weeks of nothing but fishing... I'm actually fished out lol.

Caught a lot of fish and lost even more. Got reminded of how these fish make people forget about fishing edicate as well. Shared a lot of laughs with others as well, lots of good guys out there. Fished a hole on Elk with very little pressure until Poor Richard's decided to post it, ended up having over a dozen people there every day after. Really wish they would just use the creek name and not the specific locations. Timed it right and had a couple days of stained water. But then it went low and clear again.

F&B Commish was patrolling the Walnut Stop signs, so make sure you stop all the way or you'll be getting a $50 fine (no I didn't get one, lol. Spoke with a guy who did however). You pay them in cash or fight it and come back to pay it. 

All in All... It was worth the saved vacation time, and a good time to get away from home. Hopefully it rains and blows out a couple times before the next trip. The leaves were starting to collect pretty heavy on several of the creeks and need to get flushed out. Most memorable moment... Fishing Trout Run, guy had a rod on shore and was in the lake casting spoons or something. Well he didn't have the drag set very loose, fish took off with the rod, guy jumped in head first and was able to catch the rod lol. Not sure he got the fish, but was pretty funny. Also, check yourself for ticks! had 2 crawling up my waders after heading back to the parking lot, glad I saw them before it was too late.

Oh, and I had a group of Russian's get checked near my car. When I was getting ready to leave I found one of their "special" white streamers. Lots of material, weight, and a hook big enough for musky fishing. Kept it as a souvenir, heck may even use it for late fall/early spring Musky/pike fishing. And another thing... Watch out for the idiots that catch fish, slice them open for the skein/eggs and ditch them back in the water. 

See a snagger / Fish cutter - Take a pic and post them! Fish Erie's wall o' shame!

Yeah I had many of the same experiences last week. While at walnut I saw lots of snagging ( of course) and two or three cars that ran the stop sign. I only hooked two last week at stop sign hole on Saturday but both of them got off. It took a while for the streamer bite to turn on but I got both of the hookups on video from my GoPro. It is a shame to see almost every fish swimming around with lures, flies, etc in the side or the tail. Every time I catch one I take out the access hooks. Two weeks ago I took out a Cleo out of the tail of a nice brown trout. I released it soon after. Fish in walnut? Yes. Lots of people? You bet.. fish there in the early season then move further up the tributaries . Get out there early fellas because once the sun hits the water, the fish stop biting
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/24 12:03:35 (permalink)
Why would anybody fish in crowds ? Walnut along with crowded creek mouths are a joke, park your car walk ten steps and fish...really ....great for kids, handicap , and novices ! Real anglers can do better, go after the hard ones not the easy pickings  !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2017/10/24 12:06:10
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/24 13:05:48 (permalink)
cmon captn lol now everyone is gonna actually walk the stream to find pods or singles of unmolsted fish lol lol  NOTTTTT

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/24 14:14:53 (permalink)
Great pics Capt. But the fish, if that's a steelhead, where's the yellow rope?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/24 14:17:20 (permalink)
SPOT BURNER!!
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/24 18:00:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2017/10/24 21:53:15
I was there today.. bout 38 guys lined up, said they seen it on fisherie

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/10/24 22:39:07 (permalink)
Lol....Captain Hook ain't that dumb to ever spot burn. No ropes John I've let em all go about 99% of my trips.....to each their own...I actually love hickory smoked Steel or Salmon. A pain to lug them up and down the creeks all day. If I fished 10 steps from my car............mmmmm!
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to: