Helpful ReplySHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/08/31 21:09:43 (permalink)
Well this is the big one, bringing to end another fine summer of camping and boating. Labor Day weekend is upon us and leaves me wondering, where the hell did summer go??? Which leads me to my next question, how long before the docks are pulled making launching a boat by oneself most difficult.

Mitch dont know if you read my last rant regarding the ramps but I certainly agree with the difference in launching. I also find it strange the normal summer pool level to be the same yet we need back further out on the ramps to float our boats.

Oh Well "Winters Coming" so I guess we prepare for the coming of the Ice King. umm wait.... wrong story, Ice Fishing.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/01 13:50:22 (permalink)
I agree with Brock on the ramp situation. Clark is only good for kayaks, period. Campground ramp isn't that much farther around the lake to use. Can access any part of the lake from it but my favorite has always been Mahaney. I can launch and load by myself with no problem, docks or no docks. The only drawback is dealing with the geese pooping on the ramp. The best thing tho is that it's only eight minutes from home for me.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/01 22:39:06 (permalink)
Ken just out of curiosity, what size tires you running on your trailer? This past May I could not get my boat to launch (without wading water outside my car door) at the rec area and Mawhaney wasn't none to easy. I dunno, maybe I got tooo much air in my tires. lol

Have not been back since May so I don't know if launching conditions have changed or not.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/01 23:51:45 (permalink)
Isn't kens boat aluminum? John with what your boat weighs plus the motor that probably could be part of the problem. I know my sylvan is alot harder to launch than dads bass tracker!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 00:23:45 (permalink)
Dave I don't know if that might be my problem or not. The boat floats from my bunks ok it's just getting into deep enough water to get the darn thing to float. I think I might need a extension on my hitch or sumpthin. lol 😯

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 07:48:44 (permalink)
That was my problem at Clark; gettin' the boat to float up off of the bunks, and I only have 12" tires. Wouldn't matter if I substituted a 5' long square tube extension into the hitch. Man, I'd need a 3rd wheel under the tongue. I don't even own hip boots anymore, so when I'm fishin' in Oct. and Nov., I don't relish the fact that I'd have to go in to get the boat back on the trailer. Even at the remote launch at the mouth of Crooked Creek, where there is no ramp, I got 'er back on without too much trouble. Last October, I launched at the remote launch at Clinton into pool #5, because there is no public launch on that pool, but there were two of us. Scott got in the back of the truck with the tailgate down, I shoved the boat out off the beach and handed him the rope, and he just guided the Sylvan right up through the rollers and pulled it up by hand far enough to get the winch rope on, and brought it up. I do have guide rollers that keep the boat pretty well centered. That place at Clinton is actually S. Buffalo Twp.'s emergency launch. It's a bit of a PITA. I drop the trailer at the end of the road, turn the truck around and pull forward, then pivot the boat trailer around on front roller wheel, hook back up, and then back down over the bank to the river. Up there, I just leave the rig high up on shore out of the way in case anybody else is dumb enough to put in there. It would be nice to have a public launch somewhere on that pool, but everything is privately owned. Fishing was pretty good around the dam and Kelly's Station. PFBC can't purchase any private land for a launch; they need the money for trout.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 11:19:57 (permalink)
I been kicking around the idea of a new boat. Sumthin a bit smaller and lighter powered with a restickered "20" horse so I can join the DOORKNOBS of PYMIE and run full throttle past other doorknobs.

I'll be getting a new lectric bow motor too and it's gonna be one them motely controlled deploying jobs so I can get a running start backing up the boat trailer then, lock up my vehicle brakes, sending the boat airborne into the water. I'll use the motely control thingy to deploy the motely control bow motor and drive the boat over to the dock...... priceless.

Cept the last time I tried that, airborne style launching, I had to send myself a memo reminding me to disconnect the winch rope before lockin the brakes. I ain't never seen a crank handle spin like that and that little clickety thingy ain't easy to repair neither.

Guess it was good I didn't unhook the rope cause at the time, I didn't have a motely control bow motor.

Stupid shallow launch ramps!

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 14:47:15 (permalink)
For me, the fishin' season begins in earnest this weekend. The pursuit of the wiley walleye will begin, most likely on the Allegheny tomorrow or Monday, dependin' on weather.

So BT, what do you have in mind for a boat? Console or tiller? 16' or 18'? Guess not an 18' if you're gonna go with a rebadged 25 or 30. I wouldn't go with a 14' 'cause the PFBC goons will torture you in the spring on Pymie about wearin' the life jacket. (You know that's just so they can recover the body easier should you go overboard into 40 degree water).  At Island 10 in Canada, the Lodge had all 16' Lund Rebels and Stalkers, all powered by 25H.P. Yamaha 4 strokes. The Rebel is a pretty heavy boat, but they'd get up on plane and run pretty good. My son's Lund Predator is 17 + feet with a 90 Merc. two stroke, and a 9.9 four stroke kicker. The kicker can only push the boat 7mph, so he's thinkin' about puttin' a 20 on there for Pymie and Arthur, but he fishes Keystone and Mahoning so he can only go with 10 or less. It'd be nice to have a $2000 I-pilot on the front with Bluetooth. I'd put that on my new boat if only the Powerball would cooperate!
I'd be torn between an Alumacraft 18' Competitor tiller, or the Lund 18' Pro Guide. Either one outfitted with all the goodies and electronics are in the $40K plus range. Way out of line for a lowly nearly retired automotive technician.
What I have now is the boat I bought new in '88, a 16' Sylvan Backtroller with a Classic 50 (45hp) Merc on it. It serves me well enough for the river and unlimited HP lakes.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 15:42:01 (permalink)
Mitch I wouldn't go less than 16 ft and definitely console but I'm not sure if I want to stay with a rig similar to my FishHawk or go with a aluminium style bass boat. I have a 50 Yamaha and a 15 kicker that shoves me around Pymie at 7.5 mph. Getting tough watching them Amish dudes buzzing by me with a smirk on their faces. lol. Yes those Amish dudes are part of the DOORKNOB Armada of Pymie.

However, they don't mess with me and the 50 on the Shenango, 50 is a high thrust.. zoom zoom.lol

I gave up on that lottery thingy a loooong time ago. I got tired of wishing in one hand and chyting in the other waiting to see which one filled up first. I am thinking of going with my old moto of "ain't nobody got more money than me and the banks". If at my age I punt the bucket, while over my head in debt.... NOT MY PROBLEM, where dooo I sign.

Do try the launch at the Shenango Rec area, you should find it easier to launch just be ready for the walk "back" to your vehicle.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/09/02 15:45:20

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 20:43:09 (permalink)
I could never go with a bass type boat. Far as I'm concerned, they're just motorized casting platforms. Gotta be a Deep V for me. Couldn't imagine this old man being out on Chautauqua on a windy day in a shallow bass boat. And my preference would always be a tiller, though I'll admit goin' 40mph up the river when it's 28 degrees, that windshield on a console boat is pretty nice. I'd have me a time on a Lund Pro Guide with a 90 four stroke tiller and a 9.9 kicker.

Then I'd be thinkin' even if I didn't catch any stupid fish I could say, "Man, just look at this boat"!
post edited by EMitch - 2017/09/02 20:45:21

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/02 22:37:16 (permalink)
I hear ya on the 'not catching any stupid fish' and I do look good! lmao

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/03 14:19:50 (permalink)
I have 15" wheels on my extra long trailer. And let me tell you, it took some getting used to after the trailer that came with my boat. Three feet more makes a difference launching and retrieving. So much easier. I don't get my tires wet often and I can step on my tongue after driving onto my trailer.
I didn't buy my Lund to look good in.. I bought it because it fishes best for my style of fishing. Doesn't matter to me if people like or dislike my boat, as long as I catch fish from it. If you're afraid of getting scratches on your boat, you're buying your boat for the wrong reason. The neighbors can talk about the scratches on the boat while I'm deep frying some fish.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/03 17:52:15 (permalink)
All too true, Chauncy. A boat is a tool, and like any tool, it's bound to get a few scrapes and scars. I'm just sayin' that a new Lund Pro Angler would be such a huge step up for me that I'd be right proud to own one. I'd just have to brag on it a bit.

BTW, I got back from Cabelas' a little while ago. Got my fishin' rod replaced, no questions asked. Best part was, the rod is now on sale $15 cheaper so they gave me credit on my card.
post edited by EMitch - 2017/09/03 19:18:30

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/09/04 07:50:47 (permalink)
Dang emitch that was a dadburn good deal on that fishing rod. Good for you.

Ken thank you for the info about your trailer. I could never go with a three foot extension on my trailer. I'd have to cut a hole in the back of my garage for my motors to stick through.

I here ya about a good looking boat. I don't really have a preference on a particular mfg. cause I look good in any boat.

Lake looked pretty busy yesterday as I crossed the causeway on 18. Went to the Walmart Super Store checking new 'puters. Must of tried a dozen different models. Easy to find the ones I tried. They're the ones that show the FishUSA web sight when you turn it on.

Good times and tight lines.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/20 10:32:39 (permalink)

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE ETC ETC ETC

Shenango River LakeYesterday at 6:27am Β· 

The courtesy docks are scheduled to be removed from the Mahaney, Clark, and Shenango boat launches around the 30th of October. The launches at Mahaney and Shenango will remain open for launching as long as weather permits.

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/22 20:39:30 (permalink)
There were more boats on the lake today than I've ever seen at this time of year. Pleasure boaters and even water skiers too. Bassers, striper guys, walleye guys, and panfishermen. Don't know about the rest but I had a good day on the panfish. They're bitin both shallow and deep on brush. Water is still too warm for this time of year but the fish are feeding.
post edited by chauncy - 2017/10/22 20:40:48
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/22 21:18:05 (permalink)
Save a few for me Chauncy, I'm hoping to get on the water next week while the docks are still out.

Was a gorgeous day today and I bet the scenery was beautiful.

Thanks for the report Ken.

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/23 10:55:05 (permalink)
You missed your window BTDT.  Cold front starting today.  Fish are going to be off for a few days I think.  

I was thinking of a boat upgrade but I really like the way this boat turned out after all that work.  I'm thinking that a re-trailer and a re-power will be a lot cheaper than buying another boat that would need changed to fit my needs anyway.  Spring project.  Plus I like the 20' boat for stability.  The only things holding me back from solo trips with this thing are:

- a trailer with proper function (and guides to line the boat up)
- ONE motor that I don't have to futz with at the ramp
- a three step stool to get on and off the boat during loading

Also BTDT... you need a swing arm kit.  Doesn't make the boat longer for storage and adds as much length as you want.  Pretty easy to install.  I don't use mine much, added it just to lengthen the trailer.  But they are nice.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/23 12:25:54 (permalink)
Sam I hear ya on the cold front. Gonna be a bit breezy next couple of days too.

I hope to make it on the water before the docks are pulled next Monday. Gonna swing by and say howdy to my friendly health care provider tomorrow and see, if he has any pointers on fishing later this week. Not expecting any spot burns from the Ole boy though.

My neighbor, a retired sergeant major, would like to stock up on some crappy for the winter.

If you re-power with a new motor just for the "limited" lakes, don't forget to check with the dude in Franklin. I hear he can make a 35 run like a 20 [wink.. wink]

Personally I would start with the trailer, working my way to a new boat, when the time arrives.

As for the fold away, I'm maxed out on my trailer so I'd have to add.

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/23 12:47:09 (permalink)
After my operation I hit the lake I think 3 weeks into recovery. Bad idea! Launching wasn't a problem but trailering was impossible and the bumpy ride wasn't so pleasant
chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/28 21:53:24 (permalink)
The crappie bite is hot right now. Bet I caught and released over a hundred fish in the last three trips up. The white crappie have moved to shallow brush and are feeding real good. Lots of eleven to thirteen inches being caught. I'm fishing from six to fifteen foot water and they're stacked on almost every brushpile I fish. Smaller shad baits are producing best. Haven't tried minnows but they'll probably work too. Don't know why I can't post a couple pics to show the size. It won't let me.gg
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/29 10:01:36 (permalink)
Chauncy, try postin' your pics again. I think there was somethin' up about the site 'cause even your avitar pic didn't post last night . The avitar is there this morning.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/10/29 12:12:40 (permalink)
Size matters, unless the sight now accepts and does an auto resize, there was a pixel limit.

If uploading from a phone and you can't resize, try to "crop" the picture down to the main subject, save and, upload the new version.

Sumtimz it do, sumtimz it do not.

Also, after the upload is accepted, you will see the pic. numbers listed at the bottom of your page. Tap the number (not the thingy button to the right(it deletes)) and you should see the picture numbers transfer to your page. Besure the cursor is flashing where you wish the picture to appear.

Tap reply and you should see a full picture where the numbers were and, thumbnails at the bottom.

I have no idea if my ratchet-jawing on this subject is helpful but, it gave me something to do, to wear off my "cabin fever", thank you very much.

Chauncy I'd like nothing better than to help ya out, catchin sum them crazy Crappy, but it will be ice time before I'm available. Keep the reports coming and good luck gettin some pics to post.

Ya know what they say in the Ole country...... Just kidding, it's the cabin fever, honest.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/29 12:14:37

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/11/05 13:11:26 (permalink)
As of yesterday, the fourth of nov, the docks are still in at Mahaney area launch. This is a banner year for big crappies and stripers there. The crappies, white, are running around eleven inches and the blacks are around ten but just as heavy if not heavier than the longer whites. They're hitting both live and artificial baits just about equally. Took home a really good bunch of them Saturday.Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/11/05 20:19:40 (permalink)
Thanks Ken, that's super the docks are still in.  Congrats on your catching,  enjoyed the pic of your fish, glad you were able to get it to post.  I still gotta sit this season out using my botor moat but maybe can toss some line from shore in a week or so.  Keep the reports comin and save a few for me. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: SHENANGO RIVER LAKE 2017 2017/12/13 14:45:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BeenThereDoneThat. 2017/12/13 15:48:59
Shenango Lake is super low now and the shallower east side is froze over. West side is wide open water . Lots of shoreline exposed as well as the islands on the east side. No fishing to be seen by anyone.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: