bow mount or transom?

Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
  • Reward points: 0
2017/07/18 09:44:56 (permalink)

bow mount or transom?

Ok, I'm finally upgrading electronics on my 16 footer. Currently, I have a Lowrance Elite 4x Chirp (sonar + down scan) at the wheel w/transom mounted HDI transducer. Previous owner mounted this transducer about 5 inches from the outboard. Works surprisingly good with no inference at full throttle on Sonar or Down scan for being so close to outboard.

Recently bought a Helix 5 Sonar/GPS G2 for the bow on sale at F&S. Biggest question is how many of you prefer to mount the front unit to the trolling motor? Or how many guys run transducer wires from transom to the front?

Biggest problem I see with the trolling motor is having to turn the unit on/off even time I pull up mu Minn-Kota Edge. I like the idea of transom mount, so I can leave it on all day and be able to hit the GPS mark button whenever I'm at the front seat...but then I would have to run both sonars at different frequencies to avoid crosstalk. Also, do many use the RAM mounts or just the factory provided mounts?

Any idea or inputs appreciated.

7 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2017/07/18 12:37:25 (permalink)
    PSU turning the sonar on and off each time you use the trolling motor is a PITA but, I like "what you see is what you get" and not already passed over. See stuff after its 16 feet behind you does make a big difference.

Much easier for me to hold over or relocate a marked spot when using the electric motor also.

However, if you mostly "run & gun" type fish, than that may be better reason to transom mount.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/07/18 12:39:16

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2017/07/18 21:25:27 (permalink)
    I don't know what the cone angle is on the Helix 5, but I would prefer the trolling motor mount. It wouldn't be necessary to turn it on/off when you run and gun to another spot. Lookin' at the air won't/shouldn't hurt it. And when you're ready to fish, drop the trolling motor in and you don't have to boot up again. If the cone angle is 8-16 degrees, when you see the target, you're either right over it or in close proximity to it. Now, with the Edge, are you sitting up front and fishing, or just aiming the trolling motor and standing up and casting, etc. I keep my eyes more on the electronics than the water, but that's just me.
    post edited by EMitch - 2017/07/18 21:28:08

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2017/07/19 08:09:58 (permalink)
    The use of the trolling motor depends on the lake. If I'm at a bigger lake like Wilhelm, Arthur and Pymatuning...trolling motor is down and used more for precise movements when drifting. Sometimes I'll use the TM to go up and down the bank.

If I'm at electric only, then its down all day, and I'm either standing up and casting or in my front seat drowning minnows under a float.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2017/08/03 08:11:04 (permalink)
    With the video fishing I do, it's kinda pointless having the bow sonar transducer on the transom. Anything you're seeing is way behind you.

Does the unit not have a standby mode? When I pull up my trolling motor, I put my HDS-10 in standby.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2017/08/04 11:48:47 (permalink)
    I'll check the manual. Its lower end Helix, so I have my doubts
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2017/08/14 16:50:09 (permalink)
    You will be covering more water with the transducers at each end.  Plus how hard is it to push the off button.  You are up there pulling the motor in any way.  U use a ram mount and like it.  Doesn't look great, but I like the way it functions. 
    Captain George
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: bow mount or transom? 2018/01/30 17:22:18 (permalink)
    Put a 50 inch flat screen on the bow. You'll catch more fish "dewd"
    Jump to: