Helpful ReplyPYMATUNING FISHING REPORT

Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 63 of 72
Author
JRSR
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points: 0
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/22 11:25:58 (permalink)
roygpa - if i am in the area that day i will stop by to help. I do appreciate your and all the volunteers work - thank you
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/22 18:22:05 (permalink)
So much for wait awhile the Walleye bite will turn on..... it's early. Rule that one out.

Worst Pymy Walleye spring season in years, except for all the Spillway Spring snaggers !
For some unknown reason they always do good there........LOL !

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/22 18:50:11 (permalink)
So what you're saying Captain, it may not be my fault after all that I suck at Walleye fishing? Stupid fish!!!

Seriously though. You would be amazed at the size of the clouds of baitfish showing up on the sonar. I'm running 7+ MPH and some of the schools run thick for a long ways.

Gonna give the Walleye a try this week, maybe pull a few Shad type divers through the baitfish.

That don't work, back to Crappie feeshin'.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/05/22 19:03:53

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/22 21:16:52 (permalink)
yeah captn  beleive it or not didnt see anybody there snagging atleast when i was there,, got mine on shad raps all hit  was my first time down there.. i even hooked a nice musky wich jumped and threw my plug   the lake like i said earlier let me down in 20 yrs of my annual mid may walleye foray we took the boat out and headed to greener pastures      cant figure out the slow fishing on lake  even the crappie and gills were slooooooooooow...  also the lake seemed dirtier n color than yrs past  wonder whats goin on ???
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/22 22:22:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2017/05/22 22:30:10
Pymy was nice and clear Sunday night from shore out.......just no fish again. Tossed plugs till 10pm. headed home. Two guys there also had the Pymy skunk.

I stood at the Spillway one day last year ( not fishing ) and watched from the guard rail 3 Walleyes gill snagged with chartreuse green sonars ....all went on stringers. Everybody there was jigging sonars up and down steady like pumping machines. That was enough for my eyes to spot a lifting method I've seen before used years ago in the Erie Marina (pig pen). I'd like to see what goes on after dark ,but since the Fish Commish allows it to stay that way so be it. You will never see me anywhere near there fishing ever, it's just not my style. To each their own.

Once again I don't blame those people for Pymy's low Walleye numbers, just calling it like I see it. I have no idea why Pymy's Walleye numbers nose dived this Spring. Just an off year for most of the guys I fish with and have talked to. Shenango has been slow also but lots of smaller fish have been keeping the rods bouncing steady.     
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/23 10:46:53 (permalink)
I know little to nothing of this wonderful lake, they call Pymatuning. Most of what I do know, comes from reading the opinion of others or hearing comments from those who have fished her waters with dedication.

From what I have gleaned from this wealth of information; once upon a time, there existed a possibility, when even I could have caught fish.... maybe?

I must agree, the age of electronics has played a vital role in fishing today.

Back in the day, a angler needed to know his query. Knowing the prefered habitat, for a given time of year was the most important info a angler could have. "Knowing how and where" to find that prefered habitat was a gift. Otherwise, a guy would depend on info from friends or learned from bait shops etc. But still, we had to know the difference of the old Oak tree on the cove vs the stand of River Birch on the point by the hump.

Lake maps were the ultimate locating device and unless you were purposely wanting to attract attention, maps were never rolled out at the boat launch.

I still have my collection, Wilhelm, Shenango, Pymatuning, Conneaut, all from the early 80s neatly laminated rolled and tucked away in the mancave.

Sadly those maps do not contain the hot spots of yesteryear because, I didn't catch any stupid fish back then either. Ahhh the memories.

Well anyway not much of the "natural habitat" exist like it did back then as, stony humps have silted over, creek beds filled in, herbicides, etc.ò

Today, I need only to touch the Navionics APP on my phone and choose which lake I wish to fish. Here I will find abundant information regarding types of fish along with type of habitat, natural or manmade.

With less and less natural habitat and more and more fish congregating at what habitat there is, given the right time of year, it's catching fish in a barrel.

Ummm, unless your fishing in my boat.... stupid fish.

Heyyyy, speaking of fishing....... see ya!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/05/23 10:57:01

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/23 22:18:11 (permalink)
And dont forget to mention that when guys see you catching fish in a spot, they come by you and sidescan your spot and mark it. They later come back and claim it as their own that they've been fishing for years. YEAH RIGHT. They proceed to bring their friends to their spot, and their friends bring their friends and so on. Now nobody can catch a dadgum fish there. Same thing happens again when you find another good spot. OH WELL.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/23 22:36:39 (permalink)
Chauncy, not only that, they send the information to Navionics or one of the other map makers.

Now that's brilliant as hell.

Did you do any good today?

I tried jigging for Walleye but the dang wind killed that idea so I broke out the leadcore and buried a Flicker Shad in 26 FOW.

Spoke to three other anglers that did absolutely nothing today.

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 08:55:13 (permalink)
Me and my brother did good. We put a limit of crappies in the box as I wasn't going to keep any fish but when I found some big bluegills that all changed. I kept twelve big gills in my bucket. My brother took home fifty, all eight inches and better. Don't know why I can't post pics here anymore. I'd show you my catch.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 10:46:02 (permalink)
Chauncy no need for you to post pictures but you may need only to resize to 640 pixels or smaller if you are using a album on the forum.

Wanted to swing over and say howdy but the wind blew me up stream to the next cove and you were gone when I came back through.

Congratulations on your catch, those would be some dandy gills.

I did get 9 Crappie in the box but I had to do some serious moving to do that.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 14:34:22 (permalink)
Hey Crappie King I haven't seen you on Shenango ! Where you hiding ? I'm still chasing those Stripers, got a few hogs. Lots of Crappie hitting in the lower river but I don't chase them. 
Where's my buddy Striper guy been ?   
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 14:55:28 (permalink)

What a HD view ! Man, do these Crappie run big up on Shenango! ....lol

Plan B when Pymy fails !

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 18:39:39 (permalink)
Nice catch Brock. I dont spend a lot of time on Shenango in the spring. I do so much better on size on other area lakes. Our striper buddy, Rick Como, is doing well on Shenango too. Just talked to him monday. Was hoping to head up to Linesville in the AM but i think the rain will put that on hold for a couple days. Got a few crankbaits to donate to the stump field while chasing those eyes there. John, try using bobby garland baby shads tipped with minnows in your crappie spots.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 19:29:24 (permalink)
Thanks' Chauncy I'll see you on the lake one day in the future. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 22:54:46 (permalink)
Mercy sake, I thought that was Bill Dance when I first saw the picture of the Striper.  Nice catch Capt and so are those pictures.  Congratulations.

Chauncy, thank you for the tip on the Bobby Garlands, muchly appreciated! 

Weather isn't looking real good at all for the next four to five days, that's gotta suck for the those unable to get out until this three day weekend.  Let's hope the weather dude got the forecast screwed up..... again.

nerka
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/24 23:18:00 (permalink)
nice fish captn  always wanted to get sum wipers they look cool
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/25 02:09:09 (permalink)
Great pics as always captain. Yoy guys are making me jealous. Been slammed at work for weeks, so fishing time has been limited. Only 30 or so yrs until retirement, then I'll be able to get at it.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/25 07:29:22 (permalink)
Nice feesh,Brock. Too much info,there will be a run a the local bait shops for that firetiger Rap.  lol

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/25 08:52:08 (permalink)
Thanks guys , fishing has been up and down for the local lakes and our river. Pymy was a big disappointment for Spring Walleye but the Musky fishing is still good. Just an off year so far on Pymy.

Shenango has been hit and miss but not bad. Our Shenango river again has proved to be tops at all around fishing. Just wish the Fish Commish would open their eyes and stock were the fishing pressure is higher and the catch rate is better for anglers. Once again the no Walleye program for Shenango River is not helping continue good future fishing. 

Big Tuna I about wore the paint off of that casting over and over !lol.....no secret here

Weather once again mixed .....good fishing guys !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2017/05/25 11:28:14
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/27 08:09:14 (permalink)
Looks like you are adapting well to conditions Captain...nice pics as usual.WCW
marco
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 11:30:30 (permalink)
gotta put my 2 cents in on this.  I have been off the site because just too dam busy working at store and on cottage.  let me say first I have not caught one legal eye this year...so take everything I say w a grain of salt.  last month my wife and I were at cottage for 3 days.  the fish comm.  was doing there net survey in front of our place.  I watched them all 3 days.  I am not [link=mailto:bull@@@@@@@]bull@@@@@@@[/link] when I tell you that anyone on here would have sh@@ if they saw the amount of eyes, muskies, craps and perch they pulled out of those nets everyday.  20 yards off shore.  I was talking to them and watching them everyday.  I was stunned.  piles of giant eyes and muskies every 12 hours 20 yards off shore.  now here is the kicker.  I fished beside the net every night for 2 hours and never caught one.  I don't get it!  they are there,,,,just not biting.  I went back to minnies under a bobber and have been doing great on craps and perch in 4 ft or less by the weeds.  gonna up tom night to try again.  will post afterwards.  tight lines brothers!     ok now it is time for BTDT to say something hilarious!

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 11:51:33 (permalink)
Marco ,glad you observed all that. I was hoping for an eyewitness report on the netting.
I guess they are in there.... just have lockjaw ! ....lol

Must be disappointing seeing and not catching, just goes to show you those fish ain't all dumb !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 12:24:53 (permalink)
Stupid fish!!!

marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 12:25:21 (permalink)
trust me I felt like an idiot!!!!  there were so many monster eyes in that net I asked them to toss a few on shore for me!  one morning I watched them pull 6 legal muskie out in five minutes.  many wall hanger eyes and panfish galore!  they put scanner tags in a lot of the fish.  they told me the catches I watched were normal.  lmao..I was stunned to say the least.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 12:31:56 (permalink)
PSSSST....... Marco, I got this leaf net that covers the top of my swimming pool. I'm not using it right now, wanna borrow it?

marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 12:41:37 (permalink)
roflmao...don't think I didn't think of that.  the funny thing is we got there Friday at 1 and they were down there pulling the net.  I ran straight down and watched and talked to them for a long time.  ran home and told my wife I was goin to slam the eyes this weekend.  needless to say we ate out everynite!   one thing they said to me that stood out.  I asked if I could cast near the nets and they said fine just don't get tangled in them.  then he said quote "if your goin after the eyes don't even start fishing until dark"  the problem...I CANT SEE AT NITE!  I think I am gonna be eyeless again this year!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 13:25:04 (permalink)
Marco ya just need to wade out at night shining a flashlight into the water. Now ya can't stick em with a gig or spear but when ya see the glow of thier eyes, I don't know of any law that says ya can't, whack em with a baseball bat.😋

marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 13:43:32 (permalink)
lmao..as I sit here at work on this beautiful day, wishing I was I pymy, all that I can think of is, " how does BTDT,s wife put up w him!",,.,lol
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 14:10:06 (permalink)
43 years this coming Wed.

Saved me a bunch in bail money too!!!

Best catch I ever made!

Not sure if the better half can say that. lol
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/05/29 14:15:49

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2017/05/29 14:44:40 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
43 years this coming Wed.

Saved me a bunch in bail money too!!!

Best catch I ever made!

Not sure if the better half can say that. lol
. 30 years here in July ... 32 years together.. 3rd marriage ... make this short , in my 20's & few yrs into my 30's I was well .... WILD !! A lot of bail money , cars & so on ... one day I woke after a crazy night .... she looked at me and said .... you can be on inside looking out or you can be on outside looking in you decide BUT a wrong decision will cost you your 3rd house ..... best decision I ever made .... we just look back at things and laugh about it now ....I thank her every day 😜👍🍺
post edited by mopars0 - 2017/05/29 14:47:45

STEVE.
Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 63 of 72
Jump to: