Ohio Flatheads

Author
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points: 0
2017/05/01 15:22:37 (permalink)

Ohio Flatheads

Really wanting to get into Ohio River flathead fishing since I moved here to PA and just have a few questions.  Of course these all come with the obligatory "non spot burning" disclaimer.  And yes, I have used the search function as well.

The back channel is private RR property and has been chained off.  You can still apparently walk back there if you don't mind being ticketed by RR property or molested by car-thieving junkies.  I'm happy to carry a pistol to ward off the meth-heads but this would create obvious issues with law enforcement especially given that I am now trespassing and armed.  Is this statement more or less accurate?

My next spot is the long stretch of bank below Dashields on the Moon side.  This is railroad property as well I'm assuming?  Do people fish down there?  I've seen a few YouTube videos of people fishing there so does law enforcement basically turn a blind eye?  It seems the other side of the river (Sewickley/ Leetsdale) has some good spots so that seems to be the better choice?

I live in Robinson very close to Montour at Brothers Grimm.  I walked a fair stretch up and downstream from there and have never caught a sucker or creek chub for flathead bait.  Should I look for pools closer the mouth of the creek or upstream towards Imperial?  I'm assuming trout stocking has something to do with the lack of chubs and those areas aren't stocked as heavily.  

Thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/01 15:57:43 (permalink)
    You don't have to walk across the RR tracks on the Moon side.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/01 15:58:46 (permalink)
    I can't help with location (not familiar with your area) but can tell you I have caught numerous Flatheads on the Allegheny river using back hooked bluegill for bait. 
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/01 16:31:11 (permalink)
    Catch some bluegills and travel to leetsdale, the business district. There's an exit on 65. [not saying it's legal] However you should be close to the dam.  Live bluegill and a light drag, I like to leave the drag all the way open, a clicker the better. Let the catfish take a good 30 feet out set the hook.   There's a window of about 60-90 days where you will catch monster fish.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/02 08:42:01 (permalink)
    You can catch flathead along the bulkhead at Clemente Park in PGH.  You can also catch every other fish that swims there.  Live line live bait.  That's my only contribution to river fishing of any kind.  I'm fishing for sammiches, and you don't want to be eating anything out of our rivers around here.  I won't bad mouth the Steel Mills here, since they put food on a lot of our plates for many years.  But PCBs aren't good eats.  
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/02 10:30:20 (permalink)
    I have tried catching bait in Montour and it's all small shiner like minnows.  Find a smaller stream that flows year round.  Just about every big valley around here has one.  or find a small pond and catch bluegills. 
    SpreadEagleBeagle
    Avid Angler
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/02 10:58:30 (permalink)
    Wow.  Great response.  Thanks everybody!

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/02 11:56:14 (permalink)
    Any structure should on the river should hold perfect bait size rock bass you could catch/use too.  Small jig with a threaded worm usually catches as many rockies as you care to....
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/03 09:46:55 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Any structure should on the river should hold perfect bait size rock bass you could catch/use too.  Small jig with a threaded worm usually catches as many rockies as you care to....

This set up tossed into current will get you some of those mooneye shad at times too.  Some of those need to be cut bait, but half of a 14" fish, will still get the attention of a flathead.

I haven't fished the rivers in a while.  I used to fish them 2-3 times per week, prior to kids.  Back then, there was debate of what was legal for cast nets.  It seemed that if you had a 2' radius (4' diameter) cast net, it was legal.  Not sure now, with there being specific cast net permit areas only?  At times, gizzard shad would show up thick.  If you can get them in the 6"-10" range, they are likely the primary forage of river monsters.  One swimming in circles on the bottom, is like a dinner bell.  
    fishfighter1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/03 15:28:51 (permalink)
    Give Tim a call or stop in his shop in Bridgewater PA. It called Reddi Bait. The guy lives for cat fishing, and I'm sure he would give you some pointers and areas to try. His facebook page is : https://www.facebook.com/ReddiBait/

Good Luck
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/16 16:53:34 (permalink)
    flatheads are biting on Ohio and Beaver Rivers. 
    SpreadEagleBeagle
    Avid Angler
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/22 07:27:25 (permalink)
    First night out was a bust--mostly due to lack of quality bait.  Was rushed during the day to get bait and ended up relying on some bluegill I had frozen a few weeks ago.  Had one quick pickup on my heavy baitcaster that sounded promising but it was over as quick as it began.  Caught some smallies on the bait rod which are always fun on light tackle.

Will be better prepared next time.  I have a good spot--shallower water shelf next to deeper water.  Will have one in the net soon!
    The Professor
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: Ohio Flatheads 2017/05/23 08:45:15 (permalink)
    Was happy last night.. 11:30pm, finally got my first one of the year!

Only 26 lbs 35"-- but it put up a great fight on medium action and only 10lb test!  \

Location: Back channel on the Ohio River, caught on cut bait.
    Jump to: