SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 08:39:12 (permalink)
Maynard.G.Crabs

149 chubs, Dive? I'm calling you this winter when I need something to put under my tip-ups.

Catching Chubs ? How does one go from big Erie fish to catching Creek Chubs (bait ) ? ...lol
When we were kids those Creek Chubs were a nuisance in our Trout Steams in Summer...stole all our worms before Trout could grab them! Do they still croak when you hold em , like Catfish ?

Next thing you be telling me how many Emeralds you caught on midges !....lol

Nice pics Dan ! 
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 11:15:56 (permalink)
Maynard.G.Crabs 149 chubs, Dive? I'm calling you this winter when I need something to put under my tip-ups. Knowing how intensely you study fish, I might be opening a Pandora's Box, but here goes: those mufflehead midges are Chironomidae. I want a full paper, by tomorrow noon.

Yeah they're pretty fun using a glass ultralight spinning rod and 3wt fly rod, "Pittsburgh Brookies" as far as I'm concerned haha. I've caught a few over the 10" mark including a 14.25" Chub a while back and those things fought better than any stocked Trout could hope to.

So those are Chironomids, I've heard of those before but never thought Erie had them. It's more annoying just to clean them off the floor of the boat than it is having them on you! Seems like they just hop on to you/your stuff/your boat and die. Oh jeez not another paper, I just finished a couple! Welllll, not much I can tell you about midges aside from being open water spawning insects whose larva rises from the bottom of the water column, and they're great fish food! Ask me about some obscure species of fish in the lake like Trout-Perch or Burbot and I'll rant for days!
Dan Morey
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 13:02:06 (permalink)
The midges are loyal Lake Erie-ites and famous Yankee killers. Remember back in '07 when they descended on Yankee's pitcher Joba Chamberlain, then mysteriously disappeared as the Indians took the mound? Yanks lost that game and series to Cleveland. Go midges!

[tube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GJse-anfk[/tube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GJse-anfk

ngski
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 13:21:28 (permalink)
How long do the smallies stay in the bay heard the water up so might need to run a yak or belly boat
Dan Morey
Novice Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 14:18:31 (permalink)
All depends on how fast the water heats up. Usually through June, though I have caught some in July. Water's very high now, limiting wading opportunities. If you have a yak, bring it.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 16:58:48 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Maynard.G.Crabs  149 chubs, Dive? I'm calling you this winter when I need something to put under my tip-ups.  

Catching Chubs ? How does one go from big Erie fish to catching Creek Chubs (bait ) ? ...lolWhen we were kids those Creek Chubs were a nuisance in our Trout Steams in Summer...stole all our worms before Trout could grab them! Do they still croak when you hold em , like Catfish ? Next thing you be telling me how many Emeralds you caught on midges !....lol Nice pics Dan ! 

If it has a mouth and gills it's fair game for me!

Everything is bait, it's all subjective, Chubs catch Walleye and Walleye make nice Flathead bait! And I guess you could use Flatheads as bait for Sharks or what have you lol. Not a nuisance to me, I might be the only person to be fishing for these guys then catch a stocked Rainbow in the same stream and start swearing because I didn't know how the invasive 'Bow ended up in this feeder creek (bucket biologist(s) I'd guess!).

Yeah they like to burp and belch at you when unhooking them haha. If I could, for once in my life, figure out how to post pictures on here I'd show you a few, nuptial males are as good looking as any Trout.

I'll call you out on that last part, Memorial Day 2016 I managed to fair hook an Emerald on a little Kastmaster in North East Marina. And back in 2013-2014, the "glory days" of shallow water White Bass and Drum fishing, we used to catch tons of Spottail Shiners on worms from our pier on the main lake as bycatch. Oh yeah, and they're not in the minnow family, but this past Feburary I got into a really solid Gizzard Shad bite in the shallows in PIB fishing for Steelhead, landed 40 something of them in the 2-14" range on nymphs and zebra MIDGES.
post edited by Divemaster - 2017/06/10 17:02:17
Dan Morey
Novice Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/10 23:21:23 (permalink)
Big or small, the Divemaster catches 'em all.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/12 09:30:16 (permalink)
Maynard.G.Crabs
Big or small, the Divemaster catches 'em all.

Yes sir. Any size, any species, if it puts a bend in the rod I love to catch it! Not to say I don't have slightly prefered species, but I enjoy all of them.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/12 11:32:34 (permalink)
We had a much better weekend than the first go around. Not as many numbers as usual for this time of year, but what we caught was nice. Fished the main lake off the stacks, and all but one smallmouth weighed at least three pounds, with 4.5 being the largest. Tubes and drop shot Erie Darters were hot here. Sunday, things on the lake and even parts of the bay got nasty and rough, so we went back into Marina lake and had a ball with largemouths in the weeds. Did well on Senkos and Chatterbaits for the largemouths.

Oh, and noticed a ton of sirens on Sunday, followed by multiple coast guard and police boats going out with lights blaring. Later, there was a helicopter and planes that were circling the area only a couple hundred feet off the ground. When we got back to the launch ramp, a cop was asking people questions, he said that apparently someone went missing off one of the beaches. Prayers that this turns out okay. 

Attached Image(s)

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/12 11:35:01 (permalink)
A few more. 

Attached Image(s)

Pro Staff:

Dan Morey
Novice Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/12 15:04:19 (permalink)
Nice chunkers, John!

Yes, a woman (53 years old, I think) fell off of the stern of her boat. Her husband went back there and she was just gone. Copters were still out at dusk last night, and are still searching now as far as I know. Prayers for sure.
Outdoor Conviction
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/12 17:23:35 (permalink)
Good stuff John! I was fishing yest and noticed the same thing, never had a helicopter come that close before it was awesome but knowing why they were there really wasn't. Hopefully they find her. Prayers
pghh_flytier
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/13 22:42:57 (permalink)
Finally got another chance to come up and try my luck at some bass fishing from shore. Did not find a honey hole, but did catch a few. There are bass in the area. 
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/15 17:00:28 (permalink)
Re the missing person-her husband is now charged with homicide. Went out on the boat together Saturday night and only he came back. They caught him in a lie when they got video surveillance. The truth will always find you out.
http://triblive.com/state...overboard-in-lake-erie

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/16 09:17:45 (permalink)
Saw that. Was thinking from the start that something sounded fishy (pun intended), with how much the story was changing, and how the guy claimed she fell off the boat, but essentially didn't notice her or go back and try to get her or help her. Sentient people who fall overboard, even without a life jacket, don't just sink to the bottom right away. 

Prayers to the family of the victim, and I hope justice is served. 
post edited by johnthefisherman - 2017/06/16 09:20:41

Pro Staff:

Dan Morey
Novice Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/20 15:39:59 (permalink)
Still some hungry smallies in the shallows. Largemouth galore. Pike harder to find, but gar are filling in nicely.

Cottonwood fuzzies and midges are gone. Mosquitoes getting worse, as are dudes rollerblading in speedos.

Still haven't found the missing woman. Alleged murderer is her husband, Christopher Leclair, who used to run Leclair Point bait shop over by Rum Runners. He owns the Doris M, a historic (1947) fishing tug that he and his wife were using for commercial fishing.
Coast Guard estimates they spent over $600,000 in the search effort resulting from his phony report. That doesn't include all the local fire departments, etc.  
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/22 14:45:30 (permalink)
Nice fish Dan the Bay Man !

It's a shame all that good money spent and it's doubtful that she's even in the lake at all.
Seems he boarded the boat without her then claimed she fell in. Thanks to video cameras he's busted !
Dan Morey
Novice Angler
Re: SMALLMOUTH IN THE BAY 2017/06/22 18:36:30 (permalink)
Thanks, Brock! Hope the stripers are cooperating for you.

Leclair did take his wife out on the lake, but it was on Saturday, the day before he made the false report. Came back to the marina alone Sat. evening, then went out alone again on Sunday. Police have been using the GPS on his boat, as well as cell phone data, to pinpoint where he went on Saturday. Dive teams and a copter (yesterday) are searching those areas. And yes, the cameras were key. The port authority just recently upgraded their surveillance system, and it's already paying off. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: