Author
longbeard
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/07 12:55:33 (permalink)

Looking to catch a few big browns!

Hello,
I am from West Virginia and would like to bring my sons fishing for big brown trout, they are ages 13 and 17 and both are excellent trout fisherman. We dont have big browns in WV,,,AND I know knowthing about where or when to take them. With the price of gas we will only get one or two chances in the next year to go, so I have started trying to figure out where to try,,and the tribs of Lake Ont look like our best bet!!!
Can anyone give me any suggestions as to when and  where? You can contact me at jjsisler@access.k12.wv.us

THANKS
jim

8 Replies Related Threads

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/08 11:49:15 (permalink)
    "We dont have big browns in WV"

Don't believe that for a minute.  You have a lot of streams in WV where 10-15lb. browns are possible on any cast.  You just need to do your research and go explore.

As for NY, Thanksgiving week on the western L. Ontario tribs will find browns everywhere. Tight Lines
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/09 20:40:13 (permalink)
    grif, give the guy a break geeeeeeeeeee.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/10 21:15:19 (permalink)
    Oswego river ny november you can fish off the walkway at linear park also catch steelies cohos kings and some bonus lakers,but i always did well on big browns there hey steelies 4 me how are ya!

I have become comfortably numb
    longbeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/11 12:30:12 (permalink)
    GRIF,,,I only have been trout fishing in WV since I was big enough to be put on my father and grandfathers shoulders,,and only get to fish 30 or 40 times a year with my sons,,,,so I am not sure with how much authority that I speak with, BUT I have only seen one brown caught in my 51 years that was over 4pds, It is the one that is listed at the WV DNR website as the state record, it was 16 pds,,and was caught in 1968, it was a fresh stocked fish, I did get to see that fish as I was a kid at the ripe age of 11, when WV still had trout seasons, and that is why I want to hook my boys up with Big Browns. WV has good trout fishing,,dont get me wrong,,,,BUT NO WHERE< AND I REPEAT NO WHERE IN THE STATE produces browns like the great lake. Which brings me to the realization that your defination of big browns and mine are just different!!! For those fellows who took the time to PM me,,,with some insight as to where to start looking, THANKS,,I hope I can return the favior someday!! best jim sisler wv
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/11 18:33:32 (permalink)
    I cant think of a better place to catch browns than the salmon river ny.The bigest brown i got was about 14lbs .My buddy got one in the 20lbs range.I still have been catching browns(2 to 8lbs)in mid feb.I would suggest coming in nov. but a lot of aholes on the river then.The brown my buddy got was in late dec.Most of the salmon snaggers go home and you should be able to fish in peace.All the browns we get have been on steelhead eggs,one time with a worm,And once on a white spinner(14lbs).Its gonna be a long ride no matter where you go.I think your kids will have the best luck in the sr .Any big deep hole with cover.Your kids will have a lot more fun fishing for steelhead.They fight much harder.Good luck
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/13 07:33:00 (permalink)
    Longbeard,  sorry if I came across wrong.  I was truly trying to help you out.  I will not spot burn however.  My timing was correct and the vicinity is spot on.  You do have a chance at bigger fish than W.Va, (my largest is 19.6lbs that went free and my father has a 23 lb. female on the wall).  The problem with December trips as some have suggested is that you cannot count on the weather.  With a long trip that you cannot just scrub and come the next week, this has to be a big factor.  Also, November fish are still holding there spawning colors, whereas they will normally lose them by December.  I would take the streams from Skaneatles to the west any day for numbers over Oswego or Salmon River (size is the same anywhere).  I do not like huge crowds and poor stream etiquette, so I generally steer clear of the SR or Oswego.  I lived in Syracuse for several years, 30 minutes from the SR and I would still go west.  Get yourself a copy of Sanders and it can help quite a bit. 

As for W.Va  you might think about trying some of your tailrace waters or the Elk River System.  Again,  I will not burn spots on the internet.  As anyone who knows me will testify, I do a ton of research before I fish a spot.  They will also tell you that my specialty is chasing big browns (I cut my teeth on them)  I have only fished W.Va streams for a few years, but my biggest brown from there is slightly over 9 lbs. (in a non stocked public stretch of 7 mile wilderness area).  I saw one chase a bugger this past spring that would have gone over 10 without a doubt.  Last May on a green drake hatch, I landed 3 fish that went between 5 and 7 poundsin one evening on your WVA streams.  I targeted all three of those fish long before I caught them, as I ignored the smaller fish that were bubbling nearby.  Talking with other anglers that I met (from guides to locals to out of towners), they had the same experiences that I had.  So, I will stand by my original statements. Again, best of luck.
    post edited by griffon - 2008/02/13 07:56:35
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/26 21:04:48 (permalink)
    Griffon, I really enjoyed reading your post, you sound alot like myself. I am a chaser of big browns  -period. (Hence my screen name) I give up many days of catching numbers of trout to try and get 1 or 2 hogs.

And, I am SO with you on how many places actually have browns of that magnitude yet go utterly unknown. I also will not discuss these places on the www, but I will say this. All over PA and WV, there is places to catch browns like this. I also fish many UNSTOCKED, non Class A Wild trout, unknown waters that have very few fish in them. But, the ones that are there are often very large. The average fisherman would truly never believe how many fish in the 6+ pound size class are actually out there. I live in South West PA, and within an 15-40 minutes from my house know of about 6 streams where the shot at a 8-10 pound brown is not remotley out of the question, and some of the ones I landed here are actually bigger than many I have taken in the Great Lakes.

Nonethe less, LO tribs still are awesome for browns too, and like Anadromous said, with the right timing, it is usually a success.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Looking to catch a few big browns! 2008/02/26 23:20:17 (permalink)
    Big browns in s.w. pa? No way! J/k

She had bad body odor but boy could she sure skin a salmon!
    "Trust but verify" R.R.
    Jump to: