Simms Bootfoot Program ?????

Author
johnnyb
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/04 15:48:58 (permalink)

Simms Bootfoot Program ?????

Ok, as an alternative to the bulky and heavy "spring run" neoprene waders I purchased from Cabelas. I've been looking into Simms G3 Waders alnog with the boot foot program... Let me give you a little backround, since I'm not a big guy meaning weight wise (172 lbs) and 5' 11" with a 32 inch waist... I need to wear lots of layers when winter fishing for steel-head, along with the bulk it adds, the neo waders are just killing me after a day of fishing....as in exhausting!  I contacted simms and they explained their boot foot program, whereby I can have the size boot I need along with the smaller size wader which would fit alot better and also be less cumbersome...without dragging this post out..has anyone purchased the G3 along with the bootfoot??? and how warm are they for winter fishing????   Its not the price I'm worried about I just want comfort with less weight... any info is appreciated. thanks

12 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/04 18:12:30 (permalink)
    Sounds good.
    Just make sure you have enough wader and boot room for the layered fleece clothing and you'll be fine. Leave the cotton at home.
    Breathables and fleece are a helluva lot more comfortable to wear than heavy neoprene.

Gone Fishing
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/04 19:05:04 (permalink)
    I was 6'1" and 150 32" waist when I got my G3's.  I'm a fat****now but I still fit good, even with lots of clothes.  Legs CAN be tuff to get out.  I don't mind the tight fit.   I have a Large long (or tall, whichever).  Just an FYI for fitting.   Good chance waders will rip if they don't fit right.  G3's are made in 21 sizes, probably the reason they last so long.  Can't help on the boot program though.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/05 08:47:26 (permalink)
    if you want comfort and less weight, I wouldn't even consider boot foot waders, breathable or not.  After wearing stocking foot waders, I'll never go back to boot foots.  Spend the little bit extra for a decent pair of boots, you'll be alot more comfortable.
    P.I. Perch
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/05 12:01:21 (permalink)
    D-nymph is right...........go with stockingfoot waders & spend the $$$$ on good boots. get a good set of fleece pants and good base layer, something that pulls moisture away from body and u will be fine and warm. I wear the simms blackfoot stockingfoot waders all the time and I love them. I have worn them on some very cold/snow days with no complaints..............
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/05 13:57:52 (permalink)
    It's also something like an extra hundred bucks to get the custom bootfoot G3's.  That turns the $400 pair of waders to $500.  The best possible pair of wading boots doesn't cost any more than $150.  If you're going to spend $500 on waders, what's another $50?  And that's for the absolute best.  You can get great Chotas or something similar for $120.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/05 18:21:59 (permalink)
    I don't care what breathables you buy... your feet will freeze in the 35 degree water.  500 or not, fleece whatever you will be able to stand in the water for at most 2 to 3 hours and have cold feet.... I have the spring runs and know they are heavy but i'll take warm feet over the less weight anyday of the week.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Fishchile
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Simms Boot foot Program ????? 2008/02/06 03:07:54 (permalink)

As well as D-nymph and Perch I am wondering why you would want to go with Boot foot.

The stocking feet are much more comfortable, warmer and you can get Simms shoes, with Aquastealth soles that contain cleats.  Unless you are trudging around in swamps and a surf fisherman I'd say the stocking feet are the way to go.  The swamp stuff or duck hunters prefer the boot feet they say the mud may pull off the shoes.  I don't buy it. 

johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/07 19:00:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

It's also something like an extra hundred bucks to get the custom bootfoot G3's.  That turns the $400 pair of waders to $500.  The best possible pair of wading boots doesn't cost any more than $150.  If you're going to spend $500 on waders, what's another $50?  And that's for the absolute best.  You can get great Chotas or something similar for $120.

the G3s run 399.00 and yes plus 100.00 for the bootfoot...they teamed up with the muck boot company felt bottom or lugged, the thing that inpressed me was they are rated to -20 below....nice and warm..and I already have breathables w/stocking foot and I ve tried everything down to heated socks..and they are always to tight and that cuts the circulation off and my feet freeze after two hours??? My spring creek do very nicely the boot foot is toasty but its like lugging around and extra 30 lbs.. and that sucks.. but thanks for the info
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/07 19:06:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I was 6'1" and 150 32" waist when I got my G3's.  I'm a fat****now but I still fit good, even with lots of clothes.  Legs CAN be tuff to get out.  I don't mind the tight fit.   I have a Large long (or tall, whichever).  Just an FYI for fitting.   Good chance waders will rip if they don't fit right.  G3's are made in 21 sizes, probably the reason they last so long.  Can't help on the boot program though.

Kype..you might want to change that avatar???? I can send you a link for Eli.....hehehe (just kidding) it was a great game though!
    glad to hear your happy with the G3s.. Simms teamed up with The Muck Boot Co.  the boots they offer are good to -20 degrees?  and made with felt or lugg bottoms, that should keep me toasty and not weighted down. thanks for the info.
    DryflyTU
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/08 12:56:00 (permalink)
    You may want to try the Chota Steelheader Boot Foot Waders. Bootfoot and breathable, at less cost than the Simms.

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7B266498CA%2DBF99%2D44B1%2D9577%2D3EBC2892CB4E%7D

Eric

MRBM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/14 12:56:42 (permalink)
    Have tried several sets of neoprenes, but did not like the weight and bulk of them.  I recently got a set of the Chota Steelheader Boot Foot waders and have used them about 4 times now on the tribs.   I ordered two shoe sizes over normal for thick socks, but because the boots have laces on them, they do not feel loose.  The boots are warm and the rubber soles (with screws installed) grip well in the stream but do not ice up like felt soles in snow and slush.  Although they are breathables, with fleece wader liners my legs do not get cold.  They are comparable in weight to regular stocking foots with boots.  Don't know about durability yet, but past experience with Chota indicates they should be OK.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Simms Bootfoot Program ????? 2008/02/14 13:31:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jrb327

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Kype..you might want to change that avatar???? I can send you a link for Eli.....hehehe (just kidding) it was a great game though!
    glad to hear your happy with the G3s.. Simms teamed up with The Muck Boot Co.  the boots they offer are good to -20 degrees?  and made with felt or lugg bottoms, that should keep me toasty and not weighted down. thanks for the info.

That picture was taken as Brady walked off the field with 1 ticker left.  I am not a Pats fan; it's a joke. 
    Jump to: