Absolutely disgusted

Author
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/12 12:11:21 (permalink)

Absolutely disgusted

Last night I shot a nice buck hit a bit high, didn't think it was to high tho 30 yards behind the shoulder or here's where it gets sketchy. I waited solid 25 or so min climbed down looked for blood at the shot no blood no hair found my arrow about 20 feet away with about 8" broke off the back (fletching part) arrow had meat and a grease look to it no blood. So I left head hung low absolutely disgusted looked at every diagram online read every story I could thought about the shot all night. We go back today 15hrs later looked in a 40 yard circle for hour and half no blood no hair ,like literally no blood! I don't get it even a flesh wound bleeds we looked around the area for 2 more hrs no sign biggest buck iv had a chance on and I blew it I'm tore up really bad. But I'm gonna go back with few more guys and look some more through the thickets I owe it to the deer. Did I hit that high? What happened? Why is there no blood? I heard the fatal smack and watched arrow hit and he bolted. I thought I surly hit one lung on the opposite side? What do you think I really wanna hear some opinions. I think I just shot high and he's gonna live but idk it just don't make sense!!!! Area is blown now my archery Season is done I'm about to just sell my bow and give it up iv never cried and puked at the same time .

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky

27 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 12:49:08 (permalink)
    It happens to us all. You found the broadhead or just the fetching part?
    I found out the hard way rages and havocs fly about 10 inches high at 20 yards the practice tips fly perfect though for some reason. And your seasons not over I've seen a buck wounded opening week out of a stand finished off 3 weeks later!
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 15:07:59 (permalink)
    Found bh never the back with fletching I was using a drt fixed blade they fly great for me ,I just don't get it we looked again no sign I think he survived Idk maby I'll see him in rut I'm hunting ducks till then I need a break

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 15:54:28 (permalink)
    Not going to go there,plain and simple. You didn't hit him right. Rage fly true and have absolutely no opening problems. I've killed to many with them 40-70 yards retrieval on many 165- 200 lb adult deer. My son arrowed a monster 8 pts with a 23.5 outside spread 60 and dead. It's better to hit a deer farther back than the shoulder or straight down on the back. A far back lung shot on the edge of the diaphragm or a liver shot with kill a dead in short order.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 15:59:47 (permalink)
     Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/10/12 16:03:31

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 20:28:58 (permalink)
    I'm very upset I think he's gonna survive I just don't understand why's there no blood at all makes no sense
    post edited by thunderpole - 2016/10/12 20:31:25

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 22:35:17 (permalink)
    There's no blood because you didn't hit a vein/artery or organ and from what you are saying about fat, your arrow must have hit much higher than you thought.  I am a bit confused about the arrow at this point, am I correct you have not found the knock end of the arrow and it may still be sticking in the animal?

Also, if in fact the distance was 30 yds, what draw weight are you shooting, arrow, weight of broad head, crossbow, compound, noise of the bow.  Not that all that is vital to why there is no blood, I'm just curious as to why there is no pass through based on the missing section of arrow.  Hitting bone can cause the situation where a portion of the arrow passes through then gets broken off.

I ask about the type of bow you are shooting because of the mistakes people make when and after they release the arrow, like picking ones head up to watch the arrow, dropping the bow too soon after release, not practicing, etc.  Also the draw weight, arrow, and weight of the broadhead all affect speed.   Any noise or movement picked up by the deer will have that deer "ducking" or dropping which will cause a high hit.  It is said a deer can drop a foot in less then a second as it prepares to escape.  Let's not forget the height from the ground from which you were shooting, many times people get way too high and forget to add the height factor to the distance of the target.  For instance, shooter is 20 ft high in a tree and the target is 20 yds from the base of the tree; would the shooter use a 20 yd pin or the 30 yd pin?   (The distance the arrow will travel is 28+ yds.)

Also, the angle to which the shooter is to the target is important because a deer standing broadside, will allow for a direct shot to let's say the heart but, that same deer facing away at a angle will need the arrow to penetrate behind the heart to assure hitting the heart.

As for your search, you said forty yards making circles but you didn't mention if you marked the spot of the hit or the last place you saw the deer.  It is a known fact without an initial marker and follow up markers to guide one by, any search is hap hazard at best.  Plus, forty yard searches only count if you here the animal go down, deer are known to cover a square mile over the course of their travel.  Break your searches down into grids and look for a dog curled up in the smallest of places.  You will either jump the deer and assure he is alive or you will by now find a half eaten carcass.

Last but not least, if in fact your story holds water, put the duck gun back in the case and go find that deer, dead or alive you owe it to him. 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit; Sorry Tuna I most forgitted, kudos to your son, that is a dandy Buck and his smile is worth a thousand words.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/13 11:45:17

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 23:17:08 (permalink)
    That's a tough one...and I have been there!
    Gave up the compound for a crossbow(NEVER LOOKED BACK)after losing 1-2-3 good bucks in 3 years hit back and high each time.
    I searched high and low very lil blood and I believe all 3 lived-well actually I know 2 did...
    I almost gave up but I love the show that happens during the rut.
    Crossbows were introduced next year I bought one and have killed a buck with it 5 out of last 6 years no problems-other year I got 1 with a gun.
    I made mistakes losing those 3 deer but it made me better because I was willing to learn from them...DO NOT GIVE UP...LEARN AND MOVE ON!
    Also search area 400 yd radius watch for birds...might find him

WCW

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 23:21:19 (permalink)
    Actually now I think about it I went a year with crossbow did not get a shot...then 5 out of 6 years.
    I figure the bad shots with compound I was tensing up from excitement of live target...was good in back yard with target.

WCW
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/12 23:41:51 (permalink)
    Another common mistake is punching the release when that magic moment comes out of excitement. I myself am guilty of the not accounting for height of my stand when taking a shot. Luckily that buck lived and has been running around my hunting area the past 2 seasons (hopefully not much longer) it sounds to me like you may of hit a lot higher than you think and he's running around with a small haircut wondering what happened.

Remember too they can go a long way without bleeding with a 2 blade mechanical or fixed due to it being more of a slit than a hole. I dropped a doe last year with a heart shot that only went 45 yards and there wasn't a drop of blood until I got to the pond I saw her fall down in. I'm thinking of maybe going to 3 blade rages because of that. But I'll be trying them from a stand before I hunt with them after seeing how the 2 blades fly from my bow. Still dont know why the actual broadheads hit high compared to the practice tips. Maybe my bows out of tune?
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 00:49:19 (permalink)
    That Rage hole in my son Pa. buck is more than a slit. It's a freaking gaping hole. Two blade chisel head. Great heads just got to hit deer right. Any broadhead will work when put in the right place, I killed 26 deer with those old mini blasters. Not many pass throughs and little blood,but they worked. I'd never go back though.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 11:06:00 (permalink)
    I was about 16 feet up with about a 420 grain arrow 125 tip , shooting 70# out a definite turbo I have have punched the realise it seams like everything happened so fast and yes we looked about 7 hrs yesterday walked a lot to no avail I'm hopeing he's alive I'm not one to give up I'll keep looking I shed hunt a lot there to he may turn up dead or alive I definitely wanna find him ,and it's not like I did anything wrong tracking he had ample time to die, iv shoot everyday I like shooting my bow I feel like a pos cuz I had my chance finally on a good buck and I blew it, PS this mornings duck hunt was a bust killed 2 Woodies

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 12:06:30 (permalink)
    I feel with you Thunderpole. About ten years ago I smoked a fringing unbelievable huge monster 10 pts in Ohio. I've seen some big ones but he was the king. Well into the 170 class, did even worse,bumped him out of his bed. Then never a drop of blood. Looked for a dead body that whole season never found him or heard anybody taking him. It's a learning lesson.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 12:52:02 (permalink)
    Given your height 16' (a) from the ground and the target distance (b) of 30yds;  distance to target(c) would be thirty yards (+/-).   However,  for shooting a arrow down hill, the estimation is 25.4 yds (adt (actual distance traveled)).

Not trying to get all scientific here, just trying to explain why archers shoot over or, hit their target higher then expected.

The above rules have been violated at one time or another, by the best of archers in the height of excitement when seeing, in their eyes, a trophy.  Some of these mistakes have resulted in clean misses and many have resulted in wounded animals, recovered or not.   Feeling like POS is a good sign, it let's oneself know we care so we don't make the same mistake.  It's dwelling on the feeling or problem, that will cause us to make the same mistake.   If I believed the story I would say you and your buddies have given 110%  with recovery efforts and that you, have learned a vital lesson of which you hope to never make again.  Also, a good lesson for those thinking it won't happen to them..........

PS. If it were me, following any rain, I'd be back hunting in the area..... and it wouldn't be ducks.  After all, we know what they say in the old country about falling off a horse?

Good luck.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 14:03:05 (permalink)
    Watched an arrow hit high some years back in similar circumstances- Same thing, greasy arrow with no blood-had also seen the arrow tip an unseen twig on the way to the deer. Hit further back than I wanted and quite high. That greasy stuff is from the thin layer of fat along the back and likely closer to the rear end of the deer where its a bit heavier- IMHO.

Tracked VERY slowly for some time and then saw 3 deer in the distance and one of them rolled onto its back and twisted all over the place. Kinda like a bear might rub its back on a tree while standing.
    After they moved off I went over there to find NO BLOOD but lots of hair where the deer had rolled over and rubbed.
    With that hit its likely not dead but carries a non life threatening wound- keep looking though.

A friend hit a fine buck early morning last season and the arrow appeared to him to be mid body and a bit far back. Little to no blood and the Deer ran off looking fine- He tracked for hours and looked all day. Was as disgusted as you are.

Several days later from the same stand he took that same buck as it chased a doe.
    It had  HUGE open wound on a rear quarter that ya would think woulda laid him up and gave him no toughts what so ever of chasing does.
    This guy has taken dozens with the bow and had no idea he had struck so far back. Swore it was mid body.

Remember their nervous system is nowhere near as advanced as ours. Some wounds that would lay us up for months, they are marginally aware of.

Understandably ya feel lousy but don't give up on never seeing that deer again.

Too bad , but loosing one is a part of the game we play and it happens to most everyone sooner or later.
    We are the predators.
    BTW have see it take much more than 40 yds to start bleeding- sometimes nothing and then suddenly a torrent- especially with a high one lung shot.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/13 14:26:29
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 16:19:00 (permalink)
    Yea I'll be back out come the end of October I'm ashamed of myself I put so much work into this year "to put one on the wall" and I blew it, not only am I upset about not killing the deer I blew the whole are and his core area out and btw had I waited I may have had the chance on his buddy who is a solid 140-150 class..... aggggh just once I wanted to get tagged out early to focus on ducks and not every minute in a tree. Guess I kinda got my wish I have time to hunt ducks. I am really happy to see the fruits of my labor actually be there where I thought he would be and the hr walks into my stands turn up yielding a worthy shooter.But my walls still empty tonight should be a good night good luck out there gents

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 16:26:01 (permalink)
    I'd say your bows out of tune iv never had issues with gage blood runners rages muzzy steelforce montecs or these drts ,if your bow is tuned correctly any bh will fly true

outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 16:42:04 (permalink)
    Yeah what bugs me is the practice tips and field Points fly true. I have 4 pins 10, 20, 30, 40. The 10 is now good out to 25 the 20 is dead on at 25 and 30 is dead on. No clue where to start. Maybe shoot paper to see what's going on
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 18:50:10 (permalink)
    You can hit them high over the lungs but under the backbone and get very little blood and the deer will live to fight another day. I shot one that way with a thunderhead the 4th week of season one year and killed him during rifle season chasing a doe. If you don't get pass through  most of  the blood stays in the body cavity even if he is lung shot.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 19:41:25 (permalink)
    outasync
    Yeah what bugs me is the practice tips and field Points fly true. I have 4 pins 10, 20, 30, 40. The 10 is now good out to 25 the 20 is dead on at 25 and 30 is dead on. No clue where to start. Maybe shoot paper to see what's going on
    I switched over to a single pin adjustable this year ,no turning back for Mr no pin clutter. Set it at whatever distance your gonna shoot woods 20-25 and in the field if you can shoot 40 you have time to adjust wasn't sure how I would like it but I love it

outasync
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 19:58:49 (permalink)
    Which one I've been debating it myself.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 21:10:02 (permalink)
    It's an apex gear it accepts a lense can be green ,red or orange pin .10 or .19 size it's on a dovetail it's sick I think around 120$ I was gonna get hha but this is way nicer IMO and cheaper

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 21:11:43 (permalink)
    The pin is on a dovetail you can change sized and color by sliding it ,when I seen it it blew my mind

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/13 21:19:26 (permalink)
    Don't be so sure you ruined the area or stand location.
    Just think what happens to Deer out there with stuff like yotes in their core all the time.
    Even other humans trail riding and hiking anyplace regularly-we still find Deer in those locations.
     Just give it a few days and go right back in.
    Heck, guys often shoot an eater from a spot and go right back and get a wall hanger.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/14 08:03:43 (permalink)
    Few days I'll be out again

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/14 16:58:40 (permalink)
    My brother hit a buck years ago high.  It didn't bleed much and we found the whole arrow.  My uncle ended up shooting this buck in rifle season.  The wound healed over.  Chances are this buck is still running.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/14 23:41:02 (permalink)
    Glad to hear that Thunderpole...it happens unfourtantly ...but the story aint over!
    Good Luck-and do not forget to jus ENJOY the time away from THINGS...WCW
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    Re: Absolutely disgusted 2016/10/15 17:19:16 (permalink)
    Today was a crazy one! Buddy missed a 7 last night on his b day. He smacks an identical looking 7 on our way duck hunting. Minor damage to the truck . We paddled way out to an island set up, 2 teal come in screaming boom my gun breaks first 5 min I'm now Sol. Just my luck this week! We come back look for that deer ( it was in bad shape) me and Brad are tracking it Tyler goes around to pull down the tracks .I walk up on him he jumps and runs , no gun it's in the truck! So much blood ! And he was still kicking! Theres 60+- lbs of meat that will go to sleep

PS .... We got hen greenwing black duck and a greenhead, missed a flock of gadwalls so it was a ok time................killed more then j-l duck areas ,won't be hunting there soon

Jump to: