Trapping Bobcat pic!!

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/01 08:53:34 (permalink)

Trapping Bobcat pic!!

Thought some might like to see this female bobcat that a trapper that traps a farm that I hunt showed me on the last day of muzzleloader.

She was released because the trapper had not drawn a tag this year.  It was interesting to say the least getting her out of the trap.  I never heard sounds like that in my life...

All in 2A, Washington County.

24 Replies Related Threads

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/01 09:32:34 (permalink)
    what method did he use to release it?...Ive never caught a bobcat but i heard its best to get a chokepole on it and then throw a towel or a blanket over it so it cant see...i guess it will calm down like a cow does because it cant see whats happening...
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/01 09:44:04 (permalink)
    That's the basics but it is usually a lot easier to say than to do. Doesn't hurt to have a piece of plywood to put between you and the cat while releasing the trap. Best to have a second pair of hands to help out. Never used to worry about having the problem but they are making quite a comeback.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/01 11:47:11 (permalink)
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/01 11:51:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cp13

what method did he use to release it?..

The old chokepole and plywood trick.  Would be difficult without a extra set of hands for sure.  We are lucky to still have both of ours.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/01 21:31:17 (permalink)
    dpms,

Was that cat caught in the Robinson Run Area?

PT
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 10:25:37 (permalink)
    Please don't take this the wrong way but it's just my opinion....

I hunt and fish all year long and have been my whole life, and I've even done a little trapping in my day, but I have to say I think that is the cruelist thing I've seen in a while. That animal will probably not be able to hunt because of that broken foot and will most likely die a long slow death. I've always disapproved of that kind of trapping. That is pure torture to an animal, in my opinion.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 10:44:16 (permalink)
    What makes you think the foot is broken. Most fox or cat type animals only get caught by the toes or pad and suffer no permant damage contrary to what the peta type folks would have you believe. Even the majority of other animals do not break a leg because if the proper size trap is used the springs are not designed to have that much power. What normally happens with fox or cat type animals is they struggle  for a few minutes, they realize they can't get away and their foot falls asleep like yours does if you cross your legs. They will lay down and even fall asleep until they hear you arrive at which time they will attempt to get away again. I once had a beagle that chased a rabbit near a fox trap, got caught in the trap, I immediately tried to release her while she was still scared and jumping around. She bit me bad, I finally got her released, She yipped for a minute, crossed the rabbit track and started running the rabbit again. I had to go home to stop my bleeding.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 10:51:22 (permalink)
    If that's the case, than great. I don't know much about trapping..
    I would just tend to believe that trapp has a lot of power to break bones. I guess It isn't a huge bear trap or something. Thanks for clearing that up, S-10.

To clarify, I'm not saying that there is anything worng with it, I just don't agree with it. Lack of knowledge I guess is the cause.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/02/02 10:53:08

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 10:54:30 (permalink)
    Mikeg,
    Your entitled to your opinion but I have some ?'s for you.
    1- What makes you think that it's foot was broken? where you there?
    2- what kinda of trapping do you approve of?
    3- is not the act of catching & releasing fish a form of torture for the fish, done only for the sake of the fisherman's pleasure?

I'd bet that more fish die from the stress of C&R then any animal that was caught in a trap and released.

Having been a trapper in the past(don't have the time to take it back up) I'll admit that sometimes the critters will break a foot but 99% of the time they will caught across the pad of the foot and be laying quietly when you walk up on them.
    Trapping is controversial (because of peoples emotions) same as bow hunting but it does have purpose in the management of fur bearers and certain predators.
    Mike

P.S.
     S-10 beat me to it
    post edited by fishin coyote - 2008/02/02 10:56:20
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 11:22:50 (permalink)
    No doubt it has a purpose. I hunt varmits every year...It just seems a bit on the line of cruel in my eyes.
    Compairing fish with other animals doesn't get my attention. Two differant things..I'll argue that all mammals feel pain and do have a level of intelligence. Fish don't have either or as much.

I see you guys' point. Like I stated before, I just don't have a lot of knowledge of that kind of traping.
    It's legal so it's okay in my eyes, just not something I would find fun.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/02/02 11:23:38

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 11:41:34 (permalink)
    While there is no doubt some pain at first, after the foot falls asleep it is more a matter of being restrained. When you approach the animal it gets as far away from you as it can both from fear of you, the fear of being restrained and to get leverage to jump at you. This is the photo peta likes to show. You get the same reaction from restraining your pet in your own house. To prove it grasp your dog or cat by the bottom of the leg with enough pressure to restrain it without hurting it. At first it will pull gently trying to get away  with a quizical look in it's eyes. Then it will pull harder with a fearful look. Then---get the bandages ready.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 11:50:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

I hunt and fish all year long and have been my whole life, and I've even done a little trapping in my day, but I have to say I think that is the cruelist thing I've seen in a while. That animal will probably not be able to hunt because of that broken foot and will most likely die a long slow death. I've always disapproved of that kind of trapping. That is pure torture to an animal, in my opinion.

If you have trapped in the past, what is different from that picture and your trapping. 

I understand someone that doesn't trap saying that it is cruel but i don't understand your statement if you used to trap?

Care to elaborate...
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 11:53:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pheasant tail 2

dpms,

Was that cat caught in the Robinson Run Area?

PT

Robinson Run sounds familiar.  What is it close too??  East Finley?
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 12:07:20 (permalink)
    dpms,
    The only trapping that I have done was for muskrats and minks. The traps would kill them on contact.
    I have trapped hogs in a live cage trap. Walk up to them and a bullet behind the ear would do the trick.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 13:04:36 (permalink)
    mike g

If that was to cause a broken foot or injury, it'd likely be illegal.  I think some hunters have an actual greater "love" for what we hunt than what peta does.  BUT ours is based on fact, peta's is based on emotion. 

fishin coyote

I work with a bunch of women who say things like .. "that'd hurt to have a hook in your mouth."

Stuff like that, so I found the facts.  The fact is fish lack a cortex (celebral I think), which gives us the ability to feel pain.

Then the ladies say .. "why do they fight back"

If I was to come rip you off that chair and drag you across the ground, you'd fight back too.  Not because of pain, but because I am being preceived as a threat.
    It's a fact with fish.  Letting a fish go back into a hole without any tension on them but with a hook in their mouth, proves it.  They just go about their business.  Put some pressure on them and they'll start to fight again.  When presented with the facts, the uneducated shut their mouths.

You probably already knew that but many people don't.  Even as fisherman, I think that's important to understand.

post edited by SilverKype - 2008/02/02 13:05:24
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 16:31:37 (permalink)
    i had this happen to one of my beagles also he sufferd no damage
    ORIGINAL: S-10

What makes you think the foot is broken. Most fox or cat type animals only get caught by the toes or pad and suffer no permant damage contrary to what the peta type folks would have you believe. Even the majority of other animals do not break a leg because if the proper size trap is used the springs are not designed to have that much power. What normally happens with fox or cat type animals is they struggle  for a few minutes, they realize they can't get away and their foot falls asleep like yours does if you cross your legs. They will lay down and even fall asleep until they hear you arrive at which time they will attempt to get away again. I once had a beagle that chased a rabbit near a fox trap, got caught in the trap, I immediately tried to release her while she was still scared and jumping around. She bit me bad, I finally got her released, She yipped for a minute, crossed the rabbit track and started running the rabbit again. I had to go home to stop my bleeding.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/02 22:58:13 (permalink)
    dpsm,

Yeah portions of that area are in East Finley Twp., although its fairly close to the West Finley Twp border, if its even the area I'm thinking of? If so, my homestead is a few miles up the road.  I'm not a trapper so I'm not seeking info., just curious.

PT
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/03 00:54:59 (permalink)
    Nice cat!!!!!

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/03 10:54:04 (permalink)

dpsm,

Yeah portions of that area are in East Finley Twp., although its fairly close to the West Finley Twp border, if its even the area I'm thinking of? If so, my homestead is a few miles up the road.  I'm not a trapper so I'm not seeking info., just curious.

PT

This was around Prosperity.  I know of several that have been seen in this area.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/03 21:48:26 (permalink)
    dpms,

Prosperity is in Morris Twp. If you head out of Prosperity on 18 North you can get to East Finley. I know the area fairly well. Consol owns alot of land down in these parts. Does Archer Rd sound familar?

Take care

PT
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/04 07:48:50 (permalink)

Does Archer Rd sound familar?

Nope.
    the NOID
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/12 14:12:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

\
    makes me sick to read this pathetic post.
    your not a man, just a insecure loser who needs attention.
    that beautiful cat will most likely die suffering.
    what goes around comes around loser.

i agree with you mikeg, this sort of trapping is cruel.
    posting pictures of it on the internet is pathetic.

if that guy was a man, he would have put the cat out of its misery and risked getting caught breaking the law.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/12 15:09:49 (permalink)
    Did you dream that up while taking a dump or are you just trying to stir the soup?  
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Trapping Bobcat pic!! 2008/02/12 15:28:10 (permalink)
    Aren't you just the most insightful fella. Here are some words of wisdom from your poop thread.

the NOID

i was thinking about burbot today while taking a poop

We need forward thinkers like you..

post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/02/12 15:30:57

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: