Shelf Life on Fly Lines?

Author
SteelyShawn
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/31 06:43:06 (permalink)

Shelf Life on Fly Lines?

I had recently bought new fly line, however, when I pull it out of the reel it looks like a slinky dink. I was wondering if anyone knows about if fly line has a shelf life?

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

11 Replies Related Threads

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 11:28:56 (permalink)
    If a line is kept properly, without being used, a self deserving fly shop should have sold the line before having to worry about "shelf life".

If it is coiled, then you have a memory problem, which is usually caused by the core of the fly line.

Mono cores hold alot of memory in cold weather, therefore, stay away from them for trout and steelhead.

Braided cores work best for cool weather fishing. They stay supple and hold no memory. If it does have memory (which all fly lines do in cold weather), it is from the jacket. But it can be taken out by stretching the line.

The longevity of a fly line depends on the amount of use and care involved. In the spring and summer I fish 7 days a week, at least 2 hours per day, and practice my casting just as much. My lines usually get replaced every 1 1/2 months to 2 months for casting practice and fishing. The average angler should expect to get at least 1 season out of a line, 2 at the most (in GOOD condition). But there are always exceptions. 

Best,
    Michael Foreman 
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 11:35:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input! Much help.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 11:56:41 (permalink)
    i'm on my 3rd year with my 444line. less expensive lines, i've found, are stiffer coiled coming out of the box than more supple lines. cortland 333 is much stiffer than 444. it doesn't hurt the line that i know of. like fisherboy says, coldness and storage has a lot to do with it. cleaning a line often will help the line last longer. every winter i unspool my fly lines and hang them along the basement ceiling, like a cloth line. oh, ya i fish regularly spring to fall, that's why i moved up here. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 13:46:25 (permalink)
    All flylines are going to have some memory when they are spooled on a real or spool for any extended period of time. Each time you fish, strip some line off the reel and pull it trough a closed hand until it straightens, just like you would to a leader.

Some lines will hold memory more than others. 444 seems to lose its memory quick, while others like 555, are often harder to straighten. When I fish in the cold, I like lines with a softer coating like 444 because they tend to gain less memory while cold.

Someone mentioned earlier that you should only get one year out of a line. I strongly disagree. A line should last a few years when properly taken care of. Clean lines and dress them with a product like loon linespeed, and they'll last much longer than one year. Care is the key.

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 14:55:32 (permalink)
    Drake,

The older model 555's with the hollow mono cores were absolutely horrendous. I'm not sure who ever thought of that, but they should be shot for thinking it would make a good trout line. 90° + weather is ok, but still handles very weird while casting.

You should check out the new 555 Dyna Tip. By far the best cold water line in regards to memory.

Best,
    Michael Foreman
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 20:02:16 (permalink)
    Michael,

The line I just returned was 555 but I think that it was on the shelf for awhile(maybe more than a year). I tried straightening it and it would just go back to the way it was. So I returned it because when buying new flyline I shouldn't have to work on making it fishable. Well anyway they had a nice Orvis line they replaced it with and I used it today and I actually am happy the other line didn't work out because I really like this one. It rolls and shoots nice!

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 21:36:31 (permalink)
    I had the same problem with a 5 DT  555 line.  I bought it on clearance and got what I paid for.  I did however buy another spool recently for 7 WF line and had no problems with the 555. 

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/01/31 23:08:08 (permalink)
    I think the 555 probably isn't bad line. But if you buy it off someone who doesn't move a lot of line and it sits on the shelf for a long time it seems that the coils don't come out. It doesn't last on the shelf like other lines tough it seems.

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/02/01 10:47:40 (permalink)
    You guys purchased the old model 555 lines. I feel bad for you...really bad. See my above post in reply to Drake's. The hollow mono core is useless for anything but tropical fishing. You should have returned it to Cortland and had it replaced with the new model!

Best,
    Michael Foreman
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/02/01 10:50:41 (permalink)
    I replaced it at the FLYSHOP I go to and I got an orvis line in it's stead which I am pretty happy with thus far.

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Shelf Life on Fly Lines? 2008/02/01 12:57:35 (permalink)
    I used mine twice and let it sit on an old reel that sees only action from friends who want to try fly fishing out.  They don't know the difference

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: