Helpful ReplySenior Lifetime License Question

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
2016/01/29 12:17:35 (permalink)

Senior Lifetime License Question

I am eligible for a senior license this year.  I always buy online.  First I select senior lifetime license.  Should I then select a combo trout/salmon -Lake Erie permit?   I understand I only need to purchase the Lake Erie stamp one time but need to purchase a trout/salmon stamp every year.  Also, I see you can get the upgrade which looks like a laminated license.
   Or I could just go to an issuing agent to purchase a license.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/29 15:35:58 (permalink)
George:  I'm not sure how to do it online but you don't need to buy the trout stamp each year.  Once is enough for all three, regular, Lake Erie and trout stamp.

I stopped at the Fish Commission office in Somerset.  I also bought the upgraded license and think it was $5.00 when I bought it.  It's just like the drivers license.
salpas1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/29 23:12:41 (permalink)
Panfisher, Since licensing is computerized, you can do the operation entirely at an issuing agent I.E. Walmart or any other agent. One set of stamps now should be your final purchase for the rest of your life. Enjoy your new status, have a blast catching loads of Trout / Salmon! and enjoy your retirement!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/29 23:23:17 (permalink)
Straight from the PFBC;

2.I have/want a Senior Resident Lifetime license...do I have to buy a new Trout/Salmon Permit and/or Lake Erie Permit each year? Yes, for a Trout/Salmon Permit; no, for a Lake Erie Permit.Beginning January 1, 2015, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.
However, a Senior Resident Lifetime License holder who purchased a Trout/Salmon Permit or a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit before January 1, 2015 is "grandfathered", they remain exempt from the requirement to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit annually.
A person who purchases a Senior Resident Lifetime License and fishes in Lake Erie or its tributaries is only required to purchase one Lake Erie Permit which is valid for the licensee's lifetime. Also, if a Senior Resident Lifetime License holder purchases a combination permit on or after January 1, 2015, the Lake Erie portion of the combo permit will be valid for the licensee's lifetime; however, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each following year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.
If selecting a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit, The Lake Erie permit will print on the base Senior Lifetime license with no expiration date and the 1-year Trout-Salmon Permit will print on a separate license document with an expiration date of 12/31.
1-Year Trout/Salmon Permits are to be folded in half lengthwise and the permit’s print image is to be displayed on the left side of the license.
If you bought your Senior Lifetime License before January 1, 1991, you are exempt from having a Trout/Salmon Permit. This "grandfather" exemption is not applicable for a Lake Erie Permit. 
See question 6 above to find out more about the Lake Erie and Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permits.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/29 23:36:57 (permalink)
Pafisher here is the link to the Outdoor shop for the PFBC.  You can buy everything you need over the internet provided you have PDF on your computer(free downloads if you don't, will be provided) and of course you need a printer.  You can get the buttons and/or the plastic cards which are third party items and take a few weeks to receive.  You will be able to print your license on your printer as soon as you click the print button.  Should you choose to buy a button, you may keep your fishing license in your wallet and just display the button.  However until you receive the button, you must display the paper copy.  When you print your original license you may wish to make several copies for your personnel records in the event you lose or destroy the original.  To request a new copy from the PFBC it will cost you $6.70 a whack.  Do not print multiple copies from the PFBC sight, I believe that is frowned upon and they may even charge you for each one.  Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie stamps are all available at the same time.

As you may already know, you do not need wait till your birthday if you turn 65 in the same year.

Congratulations and welcome to the Senior Citizens Group.

Tite lines

John

https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php  

PS.  You may also wish to purchase your hunting license while you are on the sight.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/29 23:41:35

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/30 07:17:23 (permalink)
And you call yourself "old dog".......... I see how you are.  

As for me, I'm just getting fired up for a second go-round and if it's free it's for me...10-4!   ummm, depending............(lol)
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/30 07:20:36

Indiana Lou
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/30 19:45:56 (permalink)
Panfisher, I just did my Senior License on-line a couple weeks ago. I selected Sr. License, Lake Erie permit (you are officially done buying these two). Then I bought the ten year trout/salmon stamp. Basically I figure I'm done there too! I'm not sure they'll let me out of the nursing home to go fishing! I hope I'm wrong and if I am I'll purchase another trout stamp. I think the total was about $136.oo. I don't have the exact figure in front of me. I then printed five copies plus saved the two pages on my hard drive. Hope this helps.   Lou
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/31 00:26:00 (permalink)
Indiana Lou
Panfisher, I just did my Senior License on-line a couple weeks ago. I selected Sr. License, Lake Erie permit (you are officially done buying these two). Then I bought the ten year trout/salmon stamp. Basically I figure I'm done there too! I'm not sure they'll let me out of the nursing home to go fishing! I hope I'm wrong and if I am I'll purchase another trout stamp. I think the total was about $136.oo. I don't have the exact figure in front of me. I then printed five copies plus saved the two pages on my hard drive. Hope this helps.   Lou

They must have changed something. I assume I am grandfathered. (fitting)  I just had to buy my lifetime license, and one time combo trout/salmon/ Lake Erie stamp, since I got mine about 5 years ago.
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/31 00:35:15 (permalink)
davef
George:  I'm not sure how to do it online but you don't need to buy the trout stamp each year.  Once is enough for all three, regular, Lake Erie and trout stamp.

I stopped at the Fish Commission office in Somerset.  I also bought the upgraded license and think it was $5.00 when I bought it.  It's just like the drivers license.

Nope.

Beginning January 1, 2015, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.

However, a Senior Resident Lifetime License holder who purchased a Trout/Salmon Permit or a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit before January 1, 2015 is "grandfathered", they remain exempt from the requirement to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit annually.
A person who purchases a Senior Resident Lifetime License and fishes in Lake Erie or its tributaries is only required to purchase one Lake Erie Permit which is valid for the licensee's lifetime. Also, if a Senior Resident Lifetime License holder purchases a combination permit on or after January 1, 2015, the Lake Erie portion of the combo permit will be valid for the licensee's lifetime; however, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each following year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.
If selecting a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie Permit, The Lake Erie permit will print on the base Senior Lifetime license with no expiration date and the 1-year Trout-Salmon Permit will print on a separate license document with an expiration date of 12/31.

Indiana Lou
Avid Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/01/31 07:42:19 (permalink)
Five MIle, I guess we were just born two years too late! But I figured buying the ten year trout stamp will at least avoid any possible fee increases for the trout stamp. And you know that's going to happen. Not that I'm complaining. I keep telling my wife how fishing is cheap entertainment and she returns with, "tell me about the $25,000 boat in the garage and the $1,000 worth of ice fishing gear on the shelf." And I rebut with, "tell me about the sixty pair of shoes you own and the dresses in the closet with the tags still attached." My only salvation is she does enjoy those "free" fish I bring home for dinner.   Lou
Panfisher
Expert Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/02/24 14:18:23 (permalink)
Answered my own ?
post edited by Panfisher - 2016/02/24 14:22:34

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/02/24 15:37:51 (permalink)
Indiana Lou
Five MIle, I guess we were just born two years too late! But I figured buying the ten year trout stamp will at least avoid any possible fee increases for the trout stamp. And you know that's going to happen. Not that I'm complaining. I keep telling my wife how fishing is cheap entertainment and she returns with, "tell me about the $25,000 boat in the garage and the $1,000 worth of ice fishing gear on the shelf." And I rebut with, "tell me about the sixty pair of shoes you own and the dresses in the closet with the tags still attached." My only salvation is she does enjoy those "free" fish I bring home for dinner.   Lou

*********************************************************************************************

BeenThereDoneThat and I am now the proud owner of a new Kebo Futon Sofa Bed (Walmart, $119.00) that I placed with all my fishing/hunting gear located in my 'mancave'.  

Guess I should have said; purses instead of shoes and, blouses instead of dresses.  Who knew? 

Tight lines everyone and please......... think spring!!

davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/02/24 19:33:08 (permalink)
FiveMilePete
davef

Nope.

Beginning January 1, 2015, Senior Resident Lifetime License holders will be required to purchase a Trout/Salmon Permit each year that the license holder desires to fish for trout.

I guess I should be thankful I'm so old since I was able to get the lifetime trout stamp a couple years ago.  Best money I've spent even with the decline in the steelhead fishing.
Panfisher
Expert Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2016/02/25 10:13:09 (permalink)
Hi Dave
Bought my lifetime license yesterday.   Got the upgrade and purchased a button and a combo Erie permit/trout salmon stamp.  Just have to purchase trout stamp next year. 

LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/08/30 22:39:00 (permalink)
I purchased mine in 2012 and on it ir says lake Erie Combo so I assume I am good for any fishcoming from lake Erie and there tributes. Just not any trout on other streams and water ways.
LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/08/30 22:39:00 (permalink)
I purchased mine in 2012 and on it ir says lake Erie Combo so I assume I am good for any fishcoming from lake Erie and there tributes. Just not any trout on other streams and water ways.
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/02 03:18:08 (permalink)
LetMeBeFishing

If you got the combo in 2012, you are good for both Lake Erie tribs, and trout/salmon anywhere in PA for life.  The combo is just that  Trout/Salmon plus Lake Erie tribs.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/02 21:02:47 (permalink)
This license thing is very confusing. From these regulations quoted above, I don't think any of that applied to me. I turned 65 in Nov. of 2015, but I did not buy my license 'til January of '16. It cost me $106, and the way it was explained to me, had I purchased the licenses in the year I turned 65, all 3 would have been lifetime. The issuing agent said that after Jan. of '16, they changed the rules again. What I believe I have is a lifetime senior license and trout stamp, but I have only a 5 year Erie stamp. My license is out in the truck on my fishin' hat or I could recheck. (Guess I'll have to do that before the steelhead start runnin; I ain't givin' the PFBC any more money)!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/02 22:25:42 (permalink)
YOU GOT screwed but you aren't alone emitch. Everybody hitting 65 in 2015 and beyond got screwed.

Like the PGC just put it to all the lifetimers with the pheasant stamp.

LetMeBeFishing
Novice Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/03 00:22:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2017/09/04 00:53:23
FiveMilePete
LetMeBeFishing

If you got the combo in 2012, you are good for both Lake Erie tribs, and trout/salmon anywhere in PA for life.  The combo is just that  Trout/Salmon plus Lake Erie tribs.

Well I was one of the lucky ones but the fish comm should of left it alone. Anyone that is over 65 should have the right to a free remaining life of fishing on all waters and species and also all states. not have to buy 4 licenses in Pa,Ohio, Ny, Michigan and if in Lake Erie to get a Canadan one to play it safe. I have them all except Michigan but that's coming next year. Its sickingi They can find other ways to grab money from us. 
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/03 06:52:14 (permalink)
They learned from the best! We are Cash cow to be milked anytime they need money! Make things so confusing we actually think we're getting a good deal. Probably need more money for their Christmas party!
Indiana Lou
Avid Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/03 10:01:37 (permalink)
Emitch, I think if you would have purchased your license in Nov or Dec of 2015 you would have been eligible to get the lifetime "everything included" at that time. As of Jan 2016 they only included the standard fishing license along with the Erie Stamp. I don't remember exactly what they cost but I had to add the Trout stamp. They offered a (1,3,5 &10 year) opportunity. I bought the ten year figuring who knows by the time I'm 75 whether I'll be able to wade a creek without a "walker." And the fact that it's for ten years there is a little hedge against price increases during that time frame. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, fishing is a lot cheaper than a lot of other past times. Enjoy the time on the water.   lou
Trapsh00ter25
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/03 10:48:13 (permalink)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6099.html

This alone is why the Commonwealth sucks when it comes to the handling of our resources and how it treats those who support it. There are so many other states who offer this type of licensing along with other things such as enhanced licenses that take the place of a pass port for travel to Canada.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/03 19:59:53 (permalink)
Ok, I have my licenses in my hand and out of the case. What I got for $106 is the Senior Lifetime fishing license, a Senior Lifetime Lake Erie permit, and a 5 year trout/salmon license good 'til 2020.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/04 08:28:37 (permalink)
I WANT my Erie stamp DOG-GONE-IT!!! I got my senior lifetime in "15" (applied 12|14).

"Stamp not included"

Stupid trout stamp neither!!😪

Indiana Lou
Avid Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/04 18:27:57 (permalink)
EMitch,  That sounds about right except I went for the ten year trout. I figure the only way they'll get us now is by instituting some type of stamp for walleye or bass or maybe even a "pan fish" stamp. They'll take a page out of the Game Commission's playbook! I have purchased a fishing license every year since I was sixteen plus the trout stamp when they started it. And then of course the Erie stamp. Do you think I paid my fare share by now?  How about charging "kids" twelve through fifteen $5.00? They have money for their fancy phones. They tend to keep as many fish as anyone else. Or give them an opportunity to earn a license by completing some type of stream project (cleaning, habitat construction, walkways, or help with a stocking or two). Would help build character and ownership. What a novel idea!

As for BTDT I think your ship has sailed! I doubt they would let you go back and honor the fact you purchased yours 12/14/2015. It might be worth a try. Good luck though!      Lou
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1256
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/07 09:32:44 (permalink)
I just buy mine year to year,dont want to give them any more money to waste than I have to.The way the fishing has been,lately I may just take up golf or something.If I actually seen some improvements in things the steelhead fishing is shakey,pymatuning is turning into the dead sea,im sure some of the other lakes stink also with the exception of the pellet head trout they stock.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/07 10:04:53 (permalink)
EMitch
Ok, I have my licenses in my hand and out of the case. What I got for $106 is the Senior Lifetime fishing license, a Senior Lifetime Lake Erie permit, and a 5 year trout/salmon license good 'til 2020.

I'm thinking prior to "15" all the stamps were included with the SENIORS. Now the stamps are considered a upgrade but I thought the upgrade was for a 'lifetime'.
Then there was a limited time option where a 'lifetime' Erie stamp could be purchased leaving the Trout stamp as a third option to be purchased in multiple years if desired.

Dam, If I want to fish Erie next year, looks like I "better call Saul"!!!

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Senior Lifetime License Question 2017/09/08 20:59:39 (permalink)
Well, I'm plannin' on doin' a little steel headin' this fall, so I'm glad my stamp goes at least to 2020. I've been buyin' the trout stamp right along, but haven't been to Erie but once in the last 4 years, (due to weather; no water), and I won't fish for pellet heads. Hopin' for a good season.

Jump to: